“Support” last night

Pat from Poole

Unfortunately quantity does not equate to quality.

Surrounded by absolute tools last night who think that singing “Football in a Library” and “School in the Morning” to Bristol fans constituted support and humour. It did neither.

Sadly the team mirrored this last night.

We were due a bad one, I guess. Need to pick it up again on Friday, on and off the pitch.

• Haha 1

Agreed, absolutely rubbish last night.

Everyone's favourite library song got multiple run outs. 

Your ground's too big for you - ok because we sell out every week do we? No, we don't.

Bristol's a shithole. It maybe a bit rough around the edges but it's indisputably a far better city then Southampton.

School in the morning was because of that nipper twatting about in the home end. All sung with no irony despite the fact it's half term.

Some song for Edoize along to Gimme Gimme Gimme by Abba.

The Stuart Armstrong chant a load of times even though only about 20% of the support know the first few lines and then the rest join in at the end.

Janny, Janny B was a new low.

Some kid trying to kick the seat out when we went 2-0 down. Some older bloke nicely asked him to clam down and then the kids Dad started shouting "don't fucking tell him to clam down"

Top class support. Well done everyone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 2

Yeah wasn't great at all to put it lightly. We have some very angry people in our support, it's extremely odd.

Only positive is lots of people seem to be trying to replace the library one with Taylor Harwood Bellis so hopefully that continues.

The Stuart Armstrong one is weird as we only seem to sing half the song and don't bother at all once the words end which kind of defeats the point.

Some small pockets seemed okay but far too many people around me stood in complete silence for pretty much the whole game. Lots of young-ish lads too, reckon the talcum powder wobbles them too much.

6 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

To be honest i thought the support was good up until they scored - i was sat stood right behind the goal & there was plenty of variety of songs.

Sold out on a wet miserable week night when it was live on TV seems pretty good to me.

Yes, some songs are a bit tedious but why only pick up the negatives? There was a big variety of songs and plenty of noise and SUPPORT even at 3 nil down.

I’d much rather that, than be like the silent Bristol fans.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Sold out on a wet miserable week night when it was live on TV seems pretty good to me.

Yes, some songs are a bit tedious but why only pick up the negatives? There was a big variety of songs and plenty of noise and SUPPORT even at 3 nil down.

I’d much rather that, than be like the silent Bristol fans.

You think the Bristol fans were silent???

If I had watched the game on TV, I suspect they would have been all that I had heard.

You mean we lost the singing competition as well as the football game, what have we become !!

Whose fronting up to the media to explain this and address how you will improve this in the upcoming games ? are we missing a Tenor ? song writer ? we need answers !

• Haha 1

Been saying all season our support is as bad in quality as i can remember in my life. You really can't argue about the numbers, but it feels like those numbers have been bused in straight from red lodge.

It's really depressing the lack of quality there, especially as it's the nippers that seem to be leading the charge of the shite brigade. Traditionally the nippers are the ones trying to do something different and new, instead it seems now they're just proving they have the intelligence of a wet breeze block and the style of a meth head offering tricks to buy drugs

• Haha 1

Thought it was disappointing, midweek away games are usually good for atmosphere, few lads behind me tried to keep oh when the saints going 2nd half but very few joined in. Maybe WBA will be better on Friday night. 

Must admit I left once the 3rd goal went in, was there anyone left in our end when we scored? Did they celebrate? 

26 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

You think the Bristol fans were silent???

If I had watched the game on TV, I suspect they would have been all that I had heard.

They were shocking until they took the lead in fairness.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JRM said:

Thought it was disappointing, midweek away games are usually good for atmosphere, few lads behind me tried to keep oh when the saints going 2nd half but very few joined in. Maybe WBA will be better on Friday night. 

Must admit I left once the 3rd goal went in, was there anyone left in our end when we scored? Did they celebrate? 

Quite a few of us left and stayed to applaud the team and Martin after the final whistle.

12 minutes ago, JRM said:

It was the first time we heard the Bristol fans.

18 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

It's really depressing the lack of quality there, especially as it's the nippers that seem to be leading the charge of the shite brigade. Traditionally the nippers are the ones trying to do something different and new, instead it seems now they're just proving they have the intelligence of a wet breeze block and the style of a meth head offering tricks to buy drugs

Truth 👏🏻

37 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Been saying all season our support is as bad in quality as i can remember in my life. You really can't argue about the numbers, but it feels like those numbers have been bused in straight from red lodge.

It would be interesting to see if any of the younger element were on here and able to justify the support they give.

Or are they just permanently on TikTok and Snapchat sending daft acronyms and emojis to each other all day?

Was poor last night, maybe I’m just getting old, but some of the chants about libraries just baffle me, we’ve got our best and most likeable team in years and we still trot out the Gabbiadini song every game too. 

I kinda knew the second half wasn’t going to be ideal when the urinals in the toilets flooded with piss at half time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Appy said:

Was poor last night, maybe I’m just getting old, but some of the chants about libraries just baffle me, we’ve got our best and most likeable team in years and we still trot out the Gabbiadini song every game too. 

I kinda knew the second half wasn’t going to be ideal when the urinals in the toilets flooded with piss at half time. 

The Gabbiadini song baffles me. Unbeaten in 4 months with lots of players having excellent sessions and we sing a song about an old player who only played for us for about 2-3 seasons.

Ridiculous and wonder what it makes the players think.

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The Gabbiadini song being sung is just utterly bizarre. Realistically no more important to our history than the likes of Rasiak or Saganowski. 

I think the Gabbiadni song is the result of the lack of real "heroes" for the younger generation. Lambert aside we've not really had any notable players in recent years, even the skate ward-prowse didn't actually achieve anything when he played for us, so those nippers who only really started supporting Saints post the last promotion to the premier league don't have much more to look at than a lost League Cup Final and a last minute win at Swansea to stay up.

I guess it's probably similar to if those of us who've been round the block had watched the Saints of the 90's without Le Tiss.

• Like 1

I understand the Lambert song getting a run out last night because he played for Bristol Rovers but no need to sing about Gabbiadini. If you like the tune just lob in some new words and make it about a current player.

We left when the 3rd went in. Some nipper started antagonising everyone by mouthing off about how we were crap fans for leaving and should stay to the end. 

Pretty sure attending hundreds and hundreds of games and flying around Europe to watch Saints has put enough credit in my bank that I can leave a midweek away game 10 minutes early when I have a 2 hour drive home and need to be up for work at 0630.

Nice to know I'm a crap fan though!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I understand the Lambert song getting a run out last night because he played for Bristol Rovers but no need to sing about Gabbiadini. If you like the tune just lob in some new words and make it about a current player.

We left when the 3rd went in. Some nipper started antagonising everyone by mouthing off about how we were crap fans for leaving and should stay to the end. 

Pretty sure attending hundreds and hundreds of games and flying around Europe to watch Saints has put enough credit in my bank that I can leave a midweek away game 10 minutes early when I have a 2 hour drive home and need to be up for work at 0630.

Nice to know I'm a crap fan though!

There seems to be a new legion of fans that have come out of the woodwork. Don't know where they're coming from or if there's any truth in the rumour that season ticket holders can buy double using the same numbers, but us SaintsPlus members are finding it harder to get away tickets. 

One person I spoke to at Sheffield earlier in the season said he hadn't missed a game home or away since 1980...and it sounded very creditable. Meeoww!

15 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

There seems to be a new legion of fans that have come out of the woodwork. Don't know where they're coming from or if there's any truth in the rumour that season ticket holders can buy double using the same numbers, but us SaintsPlus members are finding it harder to get away tickets. 

One person I spoke to at Sheffield earlier in the season said he hadn't missed a game home or away since 1980...and it sounded very creditable. Meeoww!

There's a lot of fans aged 17-21 which is a great thing to be honest because they are bolstering our support to numbers that many are surprised we are taking.

They just have a different approach to songs and sometimes seem more intent on trying to annoy home fans rather than getting behind the team and the players.

Partly this may be due to lockdown interrupting the previous culture, partly because kids these days seem to love getting one over on other fans. You only have to look at social media football chat to see how that's developed in the past few years.

It's not that fans have never acted like that, it just seems more prevalent now.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Only time season ticket holders can get two tickets using same number is for home games, it’s not possible from my experience for away games 

London Saints chairman has a similar attendance record, and hasn’t missed many friendlies in that time too, even going to games in China 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

There's a lot of fans aged 17-21 which is a great thing to be honest because they are bolstering our support to numbers that many are surprised we are taking.

They just have a different approach to songs and sometimes seem more intent on trying to annoy home fans rather than getting behind the team and the players.

Partly this may be due to lockdown interrupting the previous culture, partly because kids these days seem to love getting one over on other fans. You only have to look at social media football chat to see how that's developed in the past few years.

It's not that fans have never acted like that, it just seems more prevalent now.

At the few away games i've been too since covid many of the young lads seem keen to let as many people know they are off to the toilets at half time for a line. At Huddersfield a few were walking through the packed areas talking very loudly about going for a sniff in the toilet and shouting their mouths off about it, it was impossible not to hear them in fact they appeared to want to make sure everyone did. if thats your thing then fine, but it isn't the brightest thing to do to run your mouth off about it when there are quite a few police and stewards in earshot. Anyway im sure they'll learn.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I suspect we both could share away game stories that no one would believe. The big difference is social media. I keep hearing older people saying there are more wars now or violent crime. It’s only because everything is on social media.

Lets be honest when I was a young away match attender we did some twatty things sure you did.

Edited by manji
  • Like 3

To be honest, there wasn't much to sing about last night.

We were shit, then we were losing and then we lost. Like the team, I couldn't really be arsed to put in the full effort, it's not obligatory. 

Unlike a couple of my mates on here commenting, I am not really that bothered about what songs we sing, most of them are shit but I think you could say that about most teams' fans. There seems to be this idea that we are so different from everyone else, but we ain't. Our support and other team's support is  a reflection of society in general, some decent folk and plenty of knobheads. 

As for the songs, yeah too much mention of the lot down the road, can agree with that, should be just Fathers gun really, that's the only decent song about them. Football in a library is dull but pretty inoffensive. As is ....'s a shithole.. Does it really matter? Or is there some judging panel for each team's fans? I'm not sure any BC fans went away last night thinking Saints fans were wankers because they sang 'Football in a Library'. Am I the only ones that knows that these songs are not to be taken literally?

That said, some new innovations would not go amiss but people just resort to type, so through past experience of some good new and old songs, they don't take off. Like most things in life these days, it's the easiest route route every time for most. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

To be honest, there wasn't much to sing about last night.

We were shit, then we were losing and then we lost. Like the team, I couldn't really be arsed to put in the full effort, it's not obligatory. 

Unlike a couple of my mates on here commenting, I am not really that bothered about what songs we sing, most of them are shit but I think you could say that about most teams' fans. There seems to be this idea that we are so different from everyone else, but we ain't. Our support and other team's support is  a reflection of society in general, some decent folk and plenty of knobheads. 

As for the songs, yeah too much mention of the lot down the road, can agree with that, should be just Fathers gun really, that's the only decent song about them. Football in a library is dull but pretty inoffensive. As is ....'s a shithole.. Does it really matter? Or is there some judging panel for each team's fans? I'm not sure any BC fans went away last night thinking Saints fans were wankers because they sang 'Football in a Library'. Am I the only ones that knows that these songs are not to be taken literally?

That said, some new innovations would not go amiss but people just resort to type, so through past experience of some good new and old songs, they don't take off. Like most things in life these days, it's the easiest route route every time for most. 

Come on now mush you know we all have standards ;) I heard that one of us was learning the words to songs from the woman behind him last night, and helping her understand how to read the tv's to get players names as she didn't know any of the Bristol City subs 

4 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

How was Al Scarf?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Come on now mush you know we all have standards ;) I heard that one of us was learning the words to songs from the woman behind him last night, and helping her understand how to read the tv's to get players names as she didn't know any of the Bristol City subs 

How was Al Scarf?

i was at a Harrogate town game about a year ago and got a message from him asking if i was there. He was behind the goal with his missus, i was in the terraced bit in the corner and he'd seen me. Eagled eyed, so we went and had a chat. They'd done a trip to Harrogate as Saints didn't have a game that day and it was one of the few grounds he'd not been to yet. It was lovely to see him and a nice surprise. Can only admire his commitment, pretty sure all preseason games are included in those numbers

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

At the few away games i've been too since covid many of the young lads seem keen to let as many people know they are off to the toilets at half time for a line. At Huddersfield a few were walking through the packed areas talking very loudly about going for a sniff in the toilet and shouting their mouths off about it, it was impossible not to hear them in fact they appeared to want to make sure everyone did. if thats your thing then fine, but it isn't the brightest thing to do to run your mouth off about it when there are quite a few police and stewards in earshot. Anyway im sure they'll learn.

We need to go back to the glory days mate, recreate this next away game 

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Ha, I'm sure some of the older fans who need to use an actual toilet at half time are somewhat baffled by the queues of young lads waiting to use them.

3 hours ago, manji said:

I suspect we both could share away game stories that no one would believe. The big difference is social media. I keep hearing older people saying there are more wars now or violent crime. It’s only because everything is on social media.

Lets be honest when I was a young away match attender we did some twatty things sure you did.

There was a big upturn in bother post lockdown when all the kids who hadn't been to away games came out getting coked up and acting all moody.

I know for a fact that we had some of the most troublesome supporters in that season. It's dropped off a bit now, partly because last season we were so shit, and partly because in the Championship there's less home fans around when we go away.

The fact that some fans were singing football in a library when they were 3-0 up, and you could hear them singing at full voice, demonstrates fully how we do have some thick fans. Everyone around me was older and they were all singing it. It's fucking stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

The fact that some fans were singing football in a library when they were 3-0 up, and you could hear them singing at full voice, demonstrates fully how we do have some thick fans. Everyone around me was older and they were all singing it. It's fucking stupid.

Think I even heard "you're just a small team near Rovers" painful 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Can definitely see some of our fans trying to copy that god awful bounce around thing they did.

They’ve been doing that for years . I fucking hope we don’t start doing it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, franniesTache said:

I think the Gabbiadni song is the result of the lack of real "heroes" for the younger generation. Lambert aside we've not really had any notable players in recent years, even the skate ward-prowse didn't actually achieve anything when he played for us, so those nippers who only really started supporting Saints post the last promotion to the premier league don't have much more to look at than a lost League Cup Final and a last minute win at Swansea to stay up.

I guess it's probably similar to if those of us who've been round the block had watched the Saints of the 90's without Le Tiss.

Just make the chant about a current player though. It fits with Edozie if you just change some of the words. 

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I think it is heartening to hear that the current away fanbase are still passionate about singing a chant that commemorates one of the heroes of a recent generation, one Leslie Reed.

What a guy. The man who resurrected our club. A little known fact is that the 2019 champions league final featured 9 players either signed or developed by Les Reed. What might have been if he’d been allowed to to finish his job. The game should be named the Les Reed final 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Think I even heard "you're just a small team near Rovers" painful 

There was a guy near me trying to belt out “Just a shit Bristol Rovers” for most of the game. 

23 hours ago, franniesTache said:

I agree with what you're saying, although have to take exception at prefacing JWP's name with skate, unless you know something the rest of us don't. 

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

I agree with what you're saying, although have to take exception at prefacing JWP's name with skate, unless you know something the rest of us don't. 

Something other than the fact he was a season ticket holder at portsmouth, born in a PO postcode, a matchday mascot for them who said andy awford was his favourite player, and said their 2010 fa cup win was the best day in his life? I mean if that's not a skate i don't know what is?

18 hours ago, Turkish said:

i was at a Harrogate town game about a year ago and got a message from him asking if i was there. He was behind the goal with his missus, i was in the terraced bit in the corner and he'd seen me. Eagled eyed, so we went and had a chat. They'd done a trip to Harrogate as Saints didn't have a game that day and it was one of the few grounds he'd not been to yet. It was lovely to see him and a nice surprise. Can only admire his commitment, pretty sure all preseason games are included in those numbers

Lovely bloke is Al, got a ton of time for him and i think there's a bigger case to call someone like him a legend than any player that's played for the club in the last 30 years. Proper southampton, committed, and never makes a song or dance of it, just always there. 

And yeah like you say that period would include friendlies and even closed door covid games (allegedely)

Edited by franniesTache
  • Like 3