Arsenal vs SOUTHAMPTON Build up thread

Saint Garrett

A top of the table clash awaits and a chance to leapfrog them and go top if Liverpool fail to beat Everton and we win by 2 goals.

Hopefully all our boys come through the international break unscathed. Would be tempted to start the same team again, although there is arguement for Osvaldo to start instead of Lambert for this one as we may be playing a bit more on the counter attack than normal.

-----------Boruc------------

Clyne--Fonte---Lovren--Shaw

-------Vic------Morgan------

JWP------Lallana-------JRod

---------Osvaldo-----------

Davis Chambers Gaston Davis Cork Hooiveld Lambert

We did better against Man U at Old Trafford than Arsenal did so therefore we should beat Arsenal. This is the clear logic that my father used when he did the Football Pools for 50 years and failed to win his fortune. But Dad, this time I think logic will prevail!

Lambert looked absolutely knackered on Saturday, I think Osvaldo may start. Other than that the same team as Hull. Should be a good game. If Wanyama and Morgan play well I think we have a real chance, they are both going to be vital.

Seriously, lambert was very good on weekend! I know I'm biased but come on!

The next 2 games are must win games as I work with Arsenal and Chelsea fans (gloryhunters!). IF things work out in 2 weeks and we go top it would feel like promotion, its amazing to think that we can top of the Premier League.

Wanyama and Schneiderlin have to be at their best to stop Ozil and Ramsey. If we can shut down Arsenals midfield we can give them a very tough time as they will have to play the long ball. Noticed that Arsenal concede very few goals, especially from set pieces.

Up till last weekend it was Arsenal I feared most, however United showed how to close them down and win.

Lambert looked absolutely knackered on Saturday, I think Osvaldo may start. Other than that the same team as Hull. Should be a good game. If Wanyama and Morgan play well I think we have a real chance, they are both going to be vital.

Except that he created 2 goals and scored a penalty.. we are not yet good enough to start without Lambert.

Except that he created 2 goals and scored a penalty.. we are not yet good enough to start without Lambert.

Yeah - I'm torn. He was class this weekend, and normally is, but can't see us having as much of the ball - so would be tempted to go with Ossie and bring Lambert on ala City away last season.

The media will have this as a home banker, albeit with the priviso that "Southampton have outperformed this season so far...but we will find out today what they are made of"...........I however have a quiet confidence that we can win this game and really make them all sit up. The confidence and togetherness within the club seems to be at an all time high, and rightly so. Its a great time to be part of it and "quietly expect" at the Emirates....heady days!!

The media will have this as a home banker, albeit with the proviso that "Southampton have outperformed this season so far...but we will find out today what they are made of"...........I however have a quiet confidence that we can win this game and really make them all sit up. The confidence and togetherness within the club seems to be at an all time high, and rightly so. Its a great time to be part of it and "quietly expect" at the Emirates....heady days!!

Regretfully, I can't see Osvaldo starting against Arsenal unless Rickie is injured. Its not a game to play two strikers and I think Poch will want to stick with a successful team unless changes are forced on him. Much as I like Osvaldo, Rickie is just too good to drop. As well as his header to set up Schneiderlin's goal against Hull, he set up Lallana for the run that led to the penalty and made a brilliant flick in the one-two that almost gave Lallana second goal. Far more than just a striker. He'll be a considerable worry for Arsenal.

Surely that depends on how much football they both play over the international week? At the moment Lambert must be first choice up front.

Seriously, lambert was very good on weekend! I know I'm biased but come on!

He was excellent, but he is going to be able to press a side so quick and effective in possession as Arsenal as effectively as Osvaldo? I just think that away to Arsenal who are going to dominate possession for the majority of the game MP might prefer Osvaldo. He did at OT and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start in place of Lambert at the Emirates. I wouldn't drop Lambert and would go for an unchanged team.

Christ, you lot are really setting yourselves up for a fall. I feel like I ought to remind people that Arsenal are one of the two teams to outperform us this season.

Wanyama needs to be bang on his game for this. It'll be massively important he sees the movement of Giroud and Ramsey in and out of the midfield line and the team can keep the right number of men in each area to stifle that threat. Being able to keep the ball should help too.

Excellent, he still is **** and has failed to cross a ball after all these years.

And you wonder why so many people on here ridicule you. Wenger, one of the best premier league managers ever, rates him and picks him, as has every England manager since Eriksson. He's scored premier league hat-tricks, a hat-trick for England in a qualifier in Croatia, and is one of the top earners in the league. I'd rather go with everyone else's opinion (being qualified, experienced coaches and managers in rea world football than your dismissive "he's sh1t".

He's inconsistent, doesn't have the best football brain and can go missing for games. He's not world class for sure. But he is not sh1t. And if you really think he is you deserve the abuse you get here because you are clearly clueless.

Christ, you lot are really setting yourselves up for a fall. I feel like I ought to remind people that Arsenal are one of the two teams to outperform us this season.

You are right. The other team to outperform us we already beat 1-0 at their place, and the Arse have outperformed us by just 3 points, which is not much, especially as we have not played them yet.

Nonetheless I fully expect the Gooners to win.

Just hope we play an attacking formation. Go there to win. Not look for a draw.

The first half at Arsenal last year was perhaps the last time we've been truly outclassed. We sat back and they mullered us. Take it to them and then we'll see how good they are. We'll also see how good we are.

3-1 to Saints. The win will be for Glenn Cockerill. We hate Davis!

A quick look at the odds is a bit sobering though:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/arsenal-v-southampton/winner

Best odds:

Arsenal 8/13

Draw 10/3

Saints 6/1

6/1? That seems a bit long to me. Must take off the rose-tinted specs...

I will have a few £'s on that. Won nearly £500 for our win at Liverpool :) :) :) :)

Flamini out is good. We close their @rses down as Dortmund did in his absence at Highbury. He didn't play the away leg either but Arsenal played more conservatively. Can't see them doing that against us. We have a chance here and must atone for last season's debacle.

I would play S Davis in this one and perhaps have j rod on the bench until the last 20 mins or so then unleash him. Davis, Vic and Morgan in the middle will put lots of pressure on the ars and should hopefully stifle their creativity.

Boruc

Clyne fonte lovren Shaw

Morgan Vic

Jwp Davis lallana

Lambert

I would play S Davis in this one and perhaps have j rod on the bench until the last 20 mins or so then unleash him. Davis, Vic and Morgan in the middle will put lots of pressure on the ars and should hopefully stifle their creativity.

Boruc

Clyne fonte lovren Shaw

Morgan Vic

Jwp Davis lallana

Lambert

If Arsenal have Mertesacker back in defence we should play Rodriquez. Mertesacker has little pace and what we want is Rodriquez, Lallana and JWP running at him and Koscielny.

Nothing to lose for us really. Everyone expects Arsenal to win. We are 6/1. We know that's good value though - 3/1 for us to win might be closer to the mark, and every chance of bagging the draw. Wanyama repeatedly gifting the ball to Ozil worries me a bit. Maybe start with a 5 man midfield with Cork in there as well to aid ball retention/recovery? Whatever, I am sure Poch will make the right decisions.