Reasons for Adam Lallana not to go to Liverpool

SaintPete

The media seems to think it's a done deal that Adam Lallana is going to Liverpool. In case Adam happens to be reading SaintsWeb here are my (unbiased!) reasons why he shouldn't. It may be overly optimistic and some reasons may appear to contradict each other but let's forget about that for now!

1. You've just got to the World Cup playing for and captaining Southampton. That's Roy of the Rovers stuff!

2. The Saints fans love you!

3. You're captain of the greatest Southampton team in a generation that's full of young English players and will only get better.

4. Saints have improved year on year for the last five years. You've been integral to that growth. Who's to say this is the limit? If you stay, we can keep pushing on!

5. Four or five Saints players could play at a higher level. In that case, if we add one or two quality players rather than sell our best players we could become that higher level!

6. We improved by 15 points on last season, who's to say we can't do the same again now we have an extra year's experience of Premiership football? 71 points would put us right in the mix for European football and would have got us third place in 2011/12!

7. There were lots of games we had regrets in this season where we played better than the result we achieved, but lapses in concentration or wayward finishing cost us. If these could be ironed out next season we could be fighting for the Champions League! This is a simplistic way of looking at things but from BBC possession / shots stats we probably should have got more from the following games:

i. 1-1 vs Sunderland (55% possession, 17 shots to 8)

ii. 0-0 vs West Ham (58% possession, 15 shots to 6)

iii. 1-1 vs Man U (54% possession, 18 shots to 12)

iv. 0-2 vs Arsenal (51% possession, 10 shots to 9)

v. 2-3 vs Villa (78% possession, 21 shots to 6!!)

vi. 2-3 vs Tottenham (57% possession, 12 shots to 13)

vii. 1-2 vs Everton (56% possession, 12 shots to 9)

viii. 2-2 vs Sunderland (64% possession, 17 shots to 10)

ix. 2-2 vs Arsenal (53% possession, 13 shots to 7)

x. 2-2 vs Stoke (60% possession, 18 shots to 5)

xi. 2-3 vs Tottenham (49% possession 12 shots to 15 – stats are slightly in Tottenham's favour, but we threw that game away!)

xii. 0-1 vs Cardiff (68% possession, 19 shots to 6!!)

xiii. 1-1 vs Man U (58% possession, 16 shots to 8)

Had we have turned those losses into draws and draws into wins we'd have got 21 more points! Had we just won the games where we had twice the amount of shots than the opposition we'd have 14 more points! Ifs and buts, but fairly legitimate ones!

8. When you signed your five year contract last summer you said "If someone was to say that I'd end my career playing for Southampton in the Premier League then I'd snap your hand off for it." One incredible season where you achieve a world cup call up shouldn't change that :-)

9. Is the grass greener on the other side?

10. Is Liverpool the right team to go to to win trophies? They haven't won the Premiership in 24 years. They've only won the league cup in the last eight years.

11. Last season Liverpool only got five more points than we got this season. Maybe it's our turn for a meteoric rise?! We're a team of young players and have the best possession stats in the Premier League! Slightly more effective use of that possession and we'll be up there!

12. Luis Suarez will leave for Real Madrid. Do you want to be associated with a team going backwards (like Tottenham this season)? He scored / assisted / dived for a penalty for half of Liverpool's goals and is irreplaceable. If he leaves, Liverpool's morale will drop. Is the rest of their team any better than ours? If we'd had Suarez in our team this season we'd probably have come 2nd!

13. Liverpool this season remind me of Reading the season they beat us to the Championship title. They massively overachieved and were riding the crest of a wave during an incredible run. Teams will have worked out how to play them next season. Take Suarez out of the equation and they really will be a one season wonder.

14. Much has been made of their attacking flair but 36 of their goals have come from set pieces or penalties. Ten more than any other team and 25 more than Arsenal! That's an anomaly that's unlikely to happen again. They only scored five more goals from open play than Man United*.

15. Saints' defence is better than Liverpool's. They concede 33% more shots at their goal per game than we do*.

16. This is Liverpool's first season in the Champions League for five years. Their co-efficient will be low so they'll be put in a difficult group. If Suarez leaves it's unlikely they'll get there next season. Is playing one season in the Champions League (where Liverpool will most likely get knocked out in the first round) worth giving up everything you've got at Southampton for?

17. Pochettino's a better manager than Rodgers. Rodgers is lucky to have Luis Suarez (I might have already mentioned the Suarez factor once or twice!).

18. A lot of English players who were in a Premiership side that was on the up have joined a “big” club and flopped. Many end up warming the bench or their careers end up going backwards

i. Scott Parker

ii. Scott Sinclair

iii. Andy Carroll

iv. Steve Sidwell

v. Francis Jeffers

vi. Jack Rodwell

vii. Joe Allan (he has played at Liverpool but has received his fair share of stick).

I'm sure there are lots of other examples!

19. Staying at Southampton will set a precedent and show that there is romance left in football, that a smaller side can rise up to challenge the elite without selling their best players the moment they become successful!

20. Next season will be our turn to ride the crest of a wave and take the league by storm. Don't ruin that by leaving now!

In summary, life's amazing at the moment. You're the captain and star player for the Saints. Saints are on an incredible journey that could get even better. You're in the world cup squad and may well be a star of the world cup in Brazil. Why risk that happiness for a move to a team where you won't be the star player, will probably find yourself on the bench more often than at Saints and that's going to have their fans on their backs because they're most likely going to be a one season wonder? :-)

Finally, I'm off to the World Cup in Brazil. I've been waiting for the squad to be announced so I can buy my "Lallana" England shirt. Don't spoil that for me by joining Liverpool!

*source: http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3853/Stages/7794/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

I'm not allowed to edit posts but those smiley faces should read: "to 8" rather than to 8) - i assume writing "8" & ")" create an auto 8) !

i. 1-1 vs Sunderland 55% possession, 17 shots to 8

xiii. 1-1 vs Man U 58% possession, 16 shots to 8

I don't think he will suit their style of play - Adam is all about technique, skill, holding on and creating.

Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling are about pace and need it played quickly - although I am not saying Adam can't do that

it just nullifies what he is brilliant at.

Not wanting to sound like a **** but these types of threads where fans try to justify in their heads why players shouldn't leave are pointless.

Offer him £100k pw, a £2mil signing on bonus and Champions League football and you'll probably see him wheel spinning out the car park. He could either take that or stay at a mid table PL club that has no chance of winning anything and earn half as much as a reward for his loyalty. It really is a no brainer.

Lots of good reasons - but it's hard to argue with his ambition to play Champions League football which is guaranteed if he goes to Liverpool. There has been many flops in the past but he'll believe he's good enough. Plus the extra money and prestige. I just hope we wait till after the World Cup before selling! Or we'll only have 1 saint in the squad.

This is a post for reasons for him staying, not leaving! Don't be a negative Nelly! I've covered the Champions League - Liverpool will probably only be in it for one season :-). Is it worth giving up being the star of a team on the up for a team that's going to be a one season wonder?

Money, could be a factor, but footballers earn a lot of money whoever they play for. Not that I have any real idea of the wages currently earnt or those on offer, but there must be one or two who don't mind only(!) earning £40,000 a week at a team where they are idolised and have a true connection with the fans rather than £80,000 a week at a team where they won't play all the time and won't be the star player. Look at how Liverpool fans treated Michael Owen. He never had the right connection with the fans and so isn't seen in the same light as players such as Fowler / Carragher / Gerrard etc. He will be a club legend if he stays at Saints!

With the amount of pointing to the badge on his chest he was doing when he walked round the pitch yesterday, it didn't really look like the actions of someone who's about to leave.

Regarding joining Liverpool, I think I'd wait to see what happens to Suarez before joining them. Without him this season they'd have been 4 or 5 places lower in the table. If he goes to Madrid, coupled with the extra Champions League matches, they may well have peaked already.

I don't really have much to add, but I wanted to say this somewhere.

The premiership is going to end up as the least competitive league in the world, if every time a small club like us starts pushing the big 5, our homegrown players get bought out by direct competition, leaving them with almost nothing the next season. There's no incentive to finish anywhere but the top 5, or you're just going to get picked clean by the rich clubs, and hung out to dry the following season. The financial fair play rules don't do **** about it, and it is going to be the death of English football. **** I'M ANGRY

The premiership is going to end up as the least competitive league in the world, if every time a small club like us starts pushing the big 5, our homegrown players get bought out by direct competition, leaving them with almost nothing the next season. There's no incentive to finish anywhere but the top 5, or you're just going to get picked clean by the rich clubs, and hung out to dry the following season. The financial fair play rules don't do **** about it, and it is going to be the death of English football. **** I'M ANGRY

Tend to agree, something needs to change!! but what? And how?

That is spot on. Again the PL has been won by the richest club. We have been lucky to be financially backed to get us from League 1 but a lot of the squad was homegrown. Long gone are the days when clubs like Ipswich, Notts Forest and the like could compete, it's a joke.

Aside from all the reasons that Adam should consider, there is the distinct likelihood that it will fall apart because Liverpool are unwilling to meet our valuation.

After deducting the Bournemouth cut (and possibly even before), he's worth more to us than he is to them, and I can see the club digging its heels in for a much higher price than Liverpool are willing to pay.

That's risky if you're dealing with a petulant prima donna, but Lallana is a million miles from that.

Not wanting to sound like a **** but these types of threads where fans try to justify in their heads why players shouldn't leave are pointless.

It's a football forum on the Internet, it's all pointless (except Bearsy's posts in the muppet show which have a lot of educational value to them!)

A good post and in an ideal scenario he will stay. However, this is Premier League Football and unfortunately big money talks!! I just hope that Adam reflects on how he got to where he is today and that he believes that he can improve on it by staying at Saints. I'm immensely proud of the fact that three of our players are in the England squad especially as two have played for us in L1 and the other is from the academy. It is a fairytale for a club like Southampton to have this happen. Let's keep moving forward.

On a separate note - did watching Man City collect the trophy mean anything to anyone? The richest team with mercenary players with and virtually no connection to Manchester picking up a medal!! Give me this Saints squad finishing in 8th place any day.

Plus Danny Wallace...

Sorry agro your are wrong with Danny Wallace ill health (MS) ended his career read his book, Danny Boy, Life, Football & Multiple Sclerosis, he contracted MS not long after he left us.

all well and good moaning about how unfair the prem is.

no one had a problem in league 1 when we signed lambert, trippled his wages and that signing was more than the next two hightest league 1 signings that season (one of which was our also)

just how it goes

no one had a problem in league 1 when we signed lambert, trippled his wages and that signing was more than the next two hightest league 1 signings that season (one of which was our also)

just how it goes

We don't agree on much, but we do on this.

We've all been looking at other teams players, and will continue to do so for the rest of the window.

In the Premier League it's the same clubs buying up all the talent

It's not though, you don't have to go back too far and City, Spurs and Chelsea were all sh!te and Blackburn Rovers were champions.

Fact is if Ms Liebherr decides to go on a crazy spending spree we would eventually end up in the top 6.

Edited by aintforever

The media seems to think it's a done deal that Adam Lallana is going to Liverpool. In case Adam happens to be reading SaintsWeb here are my (unbiased!) reasons why he shouldn't. It may be overly optimistic and some reasons may appear to contradict each other but let's forget about that for now!

1. You've just got to the World Cup playing for and captaining Southampton. That's Roy of the Rovers stuff!

2. The Saints fans love you!

3. You're captain of the greatest Southampton team in a generation that's full of young English players and will only get better.

4. Saints have improved year on year for the last five years. You've been integral to that growth. Who's to say this is the limit? If you stay, we can keep pushing on!

5. Four or five Saints players could play at a higher level. In that case, if we add one or two quality players rather than sell our best players we could become that higher level!

6. We improved by 15 points on last season, who's to say we can't do the same again now we have an extra year's experience of Premiership football? 71 points would put us right in the mix for European football and would have got us third place in 2011/12!

7. There were lots of games we had regrets in this season where we played better than the result we achieved, but lapses in concentration or wayward finishing cost us. If these could be ironed out next season we could be fighting for the Champions League! This is a simplistic way of looking at things but from BBC possession / shots stats we probably should have got more from the following games:

i. 1-1 vs Sunderland (55% possession, 17 shots to 8)

ii. 0-0 vs West Ham (58% possession, 15 shots to 6)

iii. 1-1 vs Man U (54% possession, 18 shots to 12)

iv. 0-2 vs Arsenal (51% possession, 10 shots to 9)

v. 2-3 vs Villa (78% possession, 21 shots to 6!!)

vi. 2-3 vs Tottenham (57% possession, 12 shots to 13)

vii. 1-2 vs Everton (56% possession, 12 shots to 9)

viii. 2-2 vs Sunderland (64% possession, 17 shots to 10)

ix. 2-2 vs Arsenal (53% possession, 13 shots to 7)

x. 2-2 vs Stoke (60% possession, 18 shots to 5)

xi. 2-3 vs Tottenham (49% possession 12 shots to 15 – stats are slightly in Tottenham's favour, but we threw that game away!)

xii. 0-1 vs Cardiff (68% possession, 19 shots to 6!!)

xiii. 1-1 vs Man U (58% possession, 16 shots to 8)

Had we have turned those losses into draws and draws into wins we'd have got 21 more points! Had we just won the games where we had twice the amount of shots than the opposition we'd have 14 more points! Ifs and buts, but fairly legitimate ones!

8. When you signed your five year contract last summer you said "If someone was to say that I'd end my career playing for Southampton in the Premier League then I'd snap your hand off for it." One incredible season where you achieve a world cup call up shouldn't change that :-)

9. Is the grass greener on the other side?

10. Is Liverpool the right team to go to to win trophies? They haven't won the Premiership in 24 years. They've only won the league cup in the last eight years.

11. Last season Liverpool only got five more points than we got this season. Maybe it's our turn for a meteoric rise?! We're a team of young players and have the best possession stats in the Premier League! Slightly more effective use of that possession and we'll be up there!

12. Luis Suarez will leave for Real Madrid. Do you want to be associated with a team going backwards (like Tottenham this season)? He scored / assisted / dived for a penalty for half of Liverpool's goals and is irreplaceable. If he leaves, Liverpool's morale will drop. Is the rest of their team any better than ours? If we'd had Suarez in our team this season we'd probably have come 2nd!

13. Liverpool this season remind me of Reading the season they beat us to the Championship title. They massively overachieved and were riding the crest of a wave during an incredible run. Teams will have worked out how to play them next season. Take Suarez out of the equation and they really will be a one season wonder.

14. Much has been made of their attacking flair but 36 of their goals have come from set pieces or penalties. Ten more than any other team and 25 more than Arsenal! That's an anomaly that's unlikely to happen again. They only scored five more goals from open play than Man United*.

15. Saints' defence is better than Liverpool's. They concede 33% more shots at their goal per game than we do*.

16. This is Liverpool's first season in the Champions League for five years. Their co-efficient will be low so they'll be put in a difficult group. If Suarez leaves it's unlikely they'll get there next season. Is playing one season in the Champions League (where Liverpool will most likely get knocked out in the first round) worth giving up everything you've got at Southampton for?

17. Pochettino's a better manager than Rodgers. Rodgers is lucky to have Luis Suarez (I might have already mentioned the Suarez factor once or twice!).

18. A lot of English players who were in a Premiership side that was on the up have joined a “big” club and flopped. Many end up warming the bench or their careers end up going backwards

i. Scott Parker

ii. Scott Sinclair

iii. Andy Carroll

iv. Steve Sidwell

v. Francis Jeffers

vi. Jack Rodwell

vii. Joe Allan (he has played at Liverpool but has received his fair share of stick).

I'm sure there are lots of other examples!

19. Staying at Southampton will set a precedent and show that there is romance left in football, that a smaller side can rise up to challenge the elite without selling their best players the moment they become successful!

20. Next season will be our turn to ride the crest of a wave and take the league by storm. Don't ruin that by leaving now!

In summary, life's amazing at the moment. You're the captain and star player for the Saints. Saints are on an incredible journey that could get even better. You're in the world cup squad and may well be a star of the world cup in Brazil. Why risk that happiness for a move to a team where you won't be the star player, will probably find yourself on the bench more often than at Saints and that's going to have their fans on their backs because they're most likely going to be a one season wonder? :-)

Finally, I'm off to the World Cup in Brazil. I've been waiting for the squad to be announced so I can buy my "Lallana" England shirt. Don't spoil that for me by joining Liverpool!

*source: http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3853/Stages/7794/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

Chelsea it is then

just how it goes

Absolutely this. We bankrolled our way to the Prem but plenty now think we have a holier-than-thou monopoly on "doing things the right way". If we plunder a NPC club for their best player, like, say, Jay - Rod, how much hand wringing will we see on this forum?

It's not though, you don't have to go back too far and City, Spurs and Chelsea were all sh!te and Blackburn Rovers were champions.

Fact is if Ms Liebherr decides to go on a crazy spending spree we would eventually end up in the top 6.

This too. One phrase I despise on here is "glass ceiling". There is no glass ceiling. Glass ceilings generally refer to a cultural/traditional/discriminatory block to fair progress. There is no glass ceiling for Saints, or any club. If KL wanted to spend £200m this window, we'd more than likely be top 4, in a bad year top 6. The current Champions are proof positive no glass ceiling exists.

We don't agree on much, but we do on this.

We've all been looking at other teams players, and will continue to do so for the rest of the window.

I disagree with him so much he is on my ignore list but for once he is spot on! I don't remember people crying for the injustice of Bristol rovers loosing rickie to the leagues big spenders and look where they are now!

It's just football live with it, there will still be a Southampton fc next year with or without Adam and Luke and we will all still be hear *****ing moaning and sometimes cheering!

Sorry agro your are wrong with Danny Wallace ill health (MS) ended his career read his book, Danny Boy, Life, Football & Multiple Sclerosis, he contracted MS not long after he left us.

As far as I can remember he was diagnosed with MS in 1996/97 over three years after he left united. He had one season as first choice there directly after leaving Saints 89-90 before being dropped and replaced by Lee Sharpe, who was about 20. Remember it well as I loved him for Saints (along with Williams), and was gutted to see how his career developed after leaving the Dell...

I regret to say that I can see four good reasons for Adam Lallana to leave for a club who can pay him big wages and offer him CL football.

He's 26; needs a couple of years in CL to show his talents on the European stage and then perhaps move to Spain for a couple of years before he is thirty and too old.

Also remember he hasn't earned megabucks and is now in a position to secure his future.

It's painful but I expect him to leave, and I wouldn't blame him.

Shaw is in a completely different position because he's only 18 and has twelve years at his peak, not four or five like Lallana.

I think he should stay for one more year, and consider his position then.

1. All the women are orange.

2. All the women spit on you when they speak.

3. It's not a football club, it's an institution.

4. The only people you find in institutions aren't there by choice.

5. The women are orange.

6. They only race eight times a year at Aintree. Eight times?!

7. It rains. It's the rain shadow effect - see O-Level Geography texts from 1986.

8. Did I mention that all the women are orange?

9. This was their chance to win the league. You missed the boat.

10. You'll never get a fake tan. They're fully booked.

The main reason Adam is that you won't be more than a bit part player in Rodgers' attacking system vying for a place with Coutinho if/when he decides he can do without one of his ball winning midfield players. Do you really want to go from first name on the teamsheet to second name on the subs list?

The main reason Adam is that you won't be more than a bit part player in Rodgers' attacking system vying for a place with Coutinho if/when he decides he can do without one of his ball winning midfield players. Do you really want to go from first name on the teamsheet to second name on the subs list?

Bit part player?

Feck me, he was in the team of the year and most saying he is worth £25m+

And you think he would be a bit part player?

Don't rate him much do you?

They are 1 injury away ( Suarez) from being a Europa Cup team at best. They have a mid-table defence. They have a gung-ho manager, who showed himself up in the last few games of the season. This season was a freak for them. They won't be top 4 next season.

Bit part player?

Feck me, he was in the team of the year and most saying he is worth £25m+

And you think he would be a bit part player?

Don't rate him much do you?

That's him rated about 12 mil if he is nothing but a bit part squad player.

Shame really because I think he's somewhat better than that.

They are 1 injury away ( Suarez) from being a Europa Cup team at best. They have a mid-table defence. They have a gung-ho manager, who showed himself up in the last few games of the season. This season was a freak for them. They won't be top 4 next season.

But they are now CL are want top players. They will bring borini back, no doubt buy a couple of defenders

As you can see, we were a couple of injuries away from the bottom half.

So in summary the reasons he shouldn't go are if he stays he'll be popular in Southampton and England international, £25m rated, team of the year player isn't good enough to get into a team many say without Suarez are average and have no chance of winning anything.

This is nothing new though is it. Everton have lost Rodwell, artera, Fellani, Rooney and lescott to bigger in recent seasons. When villa had 4 years of finishing 6th Barry, Milner, downing and young were on the first Bentley to Manchester and Liverpool when they came calling. That's soccerball.