JayRod

brett24

£20m?

Given he'll have 18 months left on his contract that's likely to be accepted. I think he is a good player, not convinced he'll ever be a great player.

I'd imagine we've have someone better for half the money lined up.

In some way's I always assumed Mane took Jay's place as pace coming off the left flank.

The contract scenario might well force our hand though I suppose.

God knows why he wants to leave us at the moment though.

Wouldn't worry about him if I'm honest. He'll be off by the sound of it.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/409314/EXCLUSIVE-Tottenham-Liverpool-Southampton-s-20m-Jay-Rodriguez

Utter ****e. Why does anyone fall for this stuff? No one knows yet what kind of player he may be post this injury. Or what the player wants (which, i would hazard a guess, is to get back playing again, first and foremost, and then to get his place back).

Utter ****e. Why does anyone fall for this stuff? No one knows yet what kind of player he may be post this injury. Or what the player wants (which, i would hazard a guess, is to get back playing again, first and foremost, and then to get his place back).

Maybe the player wants to rejoin the Manager who got the best out of him?

Afterall, he was offered a five year deal here and didnt want to sign it so not beyond the realms of possibility that he will leave in Jan because if he isnt committing then we should sell before his value starts decreasing as his contract runs down.

Afterall, he was offered a five year deal here and didnt want to sign it so not beyond the realms of possibility that he will leave in Jan because if he isnt committing then we should sell before his value starts decreasing as his contract runs down.

Ok maybe your reasons are right, who knows, but this £20m bid is ****e when he has yet to kick a ball in anger after this injury

Obviously if he quickly comes back in the same form as last season then i'd love him to stay, but we've shown we have the squad to do well and win without him. The club well and truly has the power in contract negotiations; accept a contract renewal from a club that's looked after you through your injury and is currently fighting for a CL spot... Or show no loyalty and run off to join another deserter and a club struggling to meet their expectations;

Or maybe it won't be a loyalty issue but rather playing time, he'd have a much higher guarantee starting at a weaker club like Spurs ;)

After the events of last summer only a fool would dare come on here and say that there is no way we would allow JayRod to leave for £20m. However a fit and in-form JayRod, alongside our other attacking options, would I suspect further improve what is already a very good squad.

There's a lot of football left to be played this season, but if we are already seriously entertaining thoughts of Europe next season (and why shouldn't we?) then we will require not only more players in future, but players of his proven ability level too. So methinks we should make him as good contract offer as we prudently can and see if he responds positivity or not to that.

Either way, if we take only one lesson from recent events it is that no one is irreplaceable.

Would be a shame to lose another English player, especially as we all know they are not cheap to replace and Jay was top quality last season.

If we bought Long for £12m and then sold Jay Rod for a fraction more than that then I would say that is quite poor business considering the ages, potential and difference in class between the two.

If he does go in January it would be a very strange decision by him, very good chance of achieving something special here working as a team. He seems like the type to thrive in this enviroment, why would he want to hinder all that by going to spurs?

Hopefully he stays, perfect come back full game would be Sheffield United in the cup in about a month. Grueling schedule from end of November to January so could really do with him getting fit for it!

Edited by Saint IQ

If he does go in January it would be a very strange decision by him, very good chance of achieving something special here working as a team. He seems like the type to thrive in this enviroment, why would he want to hinder all that by going to spurs?

Hopefully he stays, perfect come back full game would be Sheffield United in the cup in about a month. Grueling schedule from end of November to January so could really do with him getting fit for it!

A turkey voting for Xmas I would say

If Jay Rod wants to go in January after the season we have enjoyed so far then he can get f***ed in my honest opinion. It would be a massive insult to the club who have put a huge amount of time and effort into his rehabilitation from injury if he just wants to jump ship to a struggling (by their standards) club like Spurs. I hope he doesn't want to do that.. but if he does he just needs to take a look at Lovren et al who left Saints in the Summer and who have quickly discovered that the grass isn't always greener...

If Jay Rod wants to go in January after the season we have enjoyed so far then he can get f***ed in my honest opinion. It would be a massive insult to the club who have put a huge amount of time and effort into his rehabilitation from injury if he just wants to jump ship to a struggling (by their standards) club like Spurs. I hope he doesn't want to do that.. but if he does he just needs to take a look at Lovren et al who left Saints in the Summer and who have quickly discovered that the grass isn't always greener...

Completely agree, he should get no game time until he signs a contract. If he wants to go let spurs get him match fit not us

Wouldn't worry about him if I'm honest. He'll be off by the sound of it.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/409314/EXCLUSIVE-Tottenham-Liverpool-Southampton-s-20m-Jay-Rodriguez

I can't see any club risking £20m on a player who hasn't played a single game since a serious injury. More likely to go in the summer than January when he shown he is injury free and played a few first team games. He will be on the bench to start with and will have to show he is free of injury and be in impact sub

This !

This could be a moot point, as the chances of Potty Chino still being in charge at The Lane come January are looking slimmer by the week.

Levy is one under pressure at Spuds at the moment.

Spurs supporting work colleague of mine told me that many "Levy Out" banners were confiscated at the gate on the way in, and that the resounding boos once the match had finished (and another home defeat against boring Stoke) were drowned out by the PA music being turned up to full blast...

So while the pressure on Potch is there from the Spuds faithful, you can multiply it by 1000 to gauge the pressure on Levy.

Desperate man perhaps - Will he fire another coach or offer £20m on a player just returning from a serious ACL injury - probably both TBH!

Can't help but think what a great time for Jay to return from such a serious injury. We're not relying on him to come straight in and start, or relieve us from a desperate fight against relegation or goal drought. He can ease his way back in and not be rushed, knowing the pressure is off which hopefully will prevent any potential recurrence's. Would love to see him come off the bench in one of our so called 'big games' in the next couple of months and win it though.

• 3 weeks later...
Still some way off, I should think. Even when match fit it's going to take him 10 games or so to get back to full sharpness.

Agreed, we might only see him about April time and if we are safe it would be mad to take chances. If he has the summer to really get back to normal he could well be a fixture for the August K.O. I hope we get a few players in during January.