CONFIRMED - Mane joins Liverpool for £34m + £2m addons

toe_punt

Sooner or later selling our best players is going to bite us on the ass.

Of course it is, or at least it will hamper progression. But tell me, in the hierarchy of football, where do you see Southampton FC? There does seem to be an awful lot of misplaced self-aggrandisement amongst our supporters.

Klopp specifically mentioned a winger as a target that will need looking at. SO I'd imagine Mane would be a priority. And again It'll believe £40m when i see it, I think it'll be less.

You talk like Liverpool are poor. Most EPL clubs can now afford a net spend of £50/60m due to the TV deal. Liverpool have a higher revenue than most clubs so could comfortably spend about £80m without bringing a penny in. Then on top of that they have a big squad with plenty of players likely to leave; Skrtel, Allen, Benteke, Markovic, Ibe etc. All adds up. Liverpool could spend well in excess of £100m this summer. So £30/35m for Mane is more than affordable if their manager sees his position as a priority.

Again heard all this about Clyne last summer, we're in denial again. Liverpool are a bigger club than us, with more money, whether they finished 8th or 1st, makes no difference to that. They have a proven European name as a manager, who i building his own project. We once again have no manager.

I hold no malice against Liverpool for coming for our players; if they recognise talent and make a move for it, they're well in their rights,. We can say no but we never do.

As for Everton. £100m and the rest. Stones and Lukaku both being linked with big moves to City and Chelsea. They may well have double that sum to spend this summer. They come knocking with 50m+ for Tadic and van Djik this summer, who are we to say no?

Clyne had a year left on his contract, was offered a new one and decided he wouldn't sign it so we cashed in.

Same has happened to Wanyama.

We don't need to do that, he has two years on his contract left, the club can just say no to Liverpool or say £40 million plus.

And sorry Liverpool might be a bigger club but they aren't that that much of a pull, I can;t see Mane desperate to go to a club that has basically been going nowhere for ages.

And £40 million is a record transfer for Liverpool, last two times they have spent £30-35 they got burnt (Benteke and Carroll), so to think they will just splash that amount again is a bit silly, they are not Man City.

Media seem to suggest a deal could go through next week. Never this much smoke without fire.

My guess. Deal done at undisclosed fee.

We claim £35m. They claim £30m. True price probably somewhere in between.

Should give them about £20m of their cash back for Ibe and Allen. Good players in my eyes.

Clyne had a year left on his contract, was offered a new one and decided he wouldn't sign it so we cashed in.

Same has happened to Wanyama.

We don't need to do that, he has two years on his contract left, the club can just say no to Liverpool or say £40 million plus.

And sorry Liverpool might be a bigger club but they aren't that that much of a pull, I can;t see Mane desperate to go to a club that has basically been going nowhere for ages.

And £40 million is a record transfer for Liverpool, last two times they have spent £30-35 they got burnt (Benteke and Carroll), so to think they will just splash that amount again is a bit silly, they are not Man City.

Liverpool can give Mane far more money so of course he will be desperate for this move.

I don't agree. The idea they are trying to unsettle Mane so he'll push a move.....

He clearly wants to go to them, they wouldn't be bidding unless his representatives had indicated to Liverpool that he wants to join them. I remember listening to an interview with a football agent a while back. As he said people are under the impression that it's all by the books. Club A bids, Club B accepts, Club B grant permission to speak to the player in question. However as he said the reality is, no club will bid for a player unless they've been given an indication that said player wants to join them. Only exception to this is when a player uses a club in order to get a better deal from his current club. We can't hope to match the wages Liverpool would pay him so I doubt it's the case.

Liverpool don't need to stir the pot as Mane is already sold. It's down to us now, do we accept a bid or do we make him stay and watch as his value plummets and we have to sell him for £10-15m next summer, like Wanyama.

I'd rather we took the money tbh. Mane has a lot of talent but he's erratic as hell. A brace one game, to be anonymous in the next three. that's what Mane is. Perhaps a certain manager could get him to produce consistently but Koeman was a very good manager and he couldn't.

£32.5m spent smart, could benefit the team more than Sadio Mane in my eyes.

I don't agree. The idea they are trying to unsettle Mane so he'll push a move.....

He clearly wants to go to them, they wouldn't be bidding unless his representatives had indicated to Liverpool that he wants to join them. I remember listening to an interview with a football agent a while back. As he said people are under the impression that it's all by the books. Club A bids, Club B accepts, Club B grant permission to speak to the player in question. However as he said the reality is, no club will bid for a player unless they've been given an indication that said player wants to join them. Only exception to this is when a player uses a club in order to get a better deal from his current club. We can't hope to match the wages Liverpool would pay him so I doubt it's the case.

Liverpool don't need to stir the pot as Mane is already sold. It's down to us now, do we accept a bid or do we make him stay and watch as his value plummets and we have to sell him for £10-15m next summer, like Wanyama.

I'd rather we took the money tbh. Mane has a lot of talent but he's erratic as hell. A brace one game, to be anonymous in the next three. that's what Mane is. Perhaps a certain manager could get him to produce consistently but Koeman was a very good manager and he couldn't.

£32.5m spent smart, could benefit the team more than Sadio Mane in my eyes.

Not sure what your disagreeing with IRL, a pot stirred keeps the contents from settling, the analogy in that context complies with what you are claiming ergo unsettling Mane. However, it has to be said no doubt the type of unsettling both he and his agent seek and desire. In that we have also have to face the fact that if you're working for a salary of say 30K and a company somewhere else offers you 120k plus a lump sum of say 500k to join them, what's the chances of you turning them down? To reiterate such "unsettling" is what Mane, in common with many players, desires for it is all about the money.

Fu_cking hell you cretins, it's one story, put out by the dippers which is then picked up by all the media.

Saints have already told the player and agent that unless their valuation is met, which is £35m, the same as Utd offered, then he'll be staying for the season. This is all a bit of manipulation by dippers and agent. The agent, I know as a fact, has also been in contact with City as he's desperate for Mane to move for ££ reasons.

Liverpool can give Mane far more money so of course he will be desperate for this move.

Far more? Doubt it.

We are more than financially sound, have the new TV deal and would have just lost two of higher earners in Wanyama and Ramirez.

I'm sure if we wanted to we could off him like £100k a week, just doubt the club think he is worth that much.

Sure Liverpool have more money than us, but people are making them out to be way bigger and relevant than they actually are.

There is a reason they are looking at Mane, it's because players like Gotze and top 4 calibre level players don't want to move to them.

If anyone's desperate for the move, it's probably his agent and the Liverpool press so they sell papers and their favoured club is more relevant.

If we get £35-40 million then fine, he's not that good, but Liverpool are seriously over valuing their status if they think they can unsettle him and then get him for £20-25 million.

At the end of the season. There were two players I'd thought would go this summer Vic and Mane. Did people really convince themselves he was going to sign a new contract and stay? He has two seasons left and will miss several weeks of one of those at the ACON. So 30+ million isn't bad considering he'll leave next summer for a lot less ( which upset loads of people when it happened with Vic)

At the end of the season. There were two players I'd thought would go this summer Vic and Mane. Did people really convince themselves he was going to sign a new contract and stay? He has two seasons left and will miss several weeks of one of those at the ACON. So 30+ million isn't bad considering he'll leave next summer for a lot less ( which upset loads of people when it happened with Vic)

agree there

Seriously disappointed by this development. What are we going to be left with? A crocked J-Rod, a partially crocked Austin, an ageing Pelle, a rising 30yo Long who is unlikely to repeat last season's heroics, a hot and cold Tadic, a decidedly lightweight Clasie, an underwhelming JWP - what must VVD and Bertrand be thinking.

BBC are saying £40 million, I suspect this is all agent talk and wishful thinking from Liverpool, some major tapping up going on it seems but there is no reason for the club to budge.

Just tell them £40 million or fudge off.

I seriously doubt as well that we would sell one of our major assets before the new manager is appointed.

Seriously disappointed by this development. What are we going to be left with? A crocked J-Rod, a partially crocked Austin, an ageing Pelle, a rising 30yo Long who is unlikely to repeat last season's heroics, a hot and cold Tadic, a decidedly lightweight Clasie, an underwhelming JWP - what must VVD and Bertrand be thinking.

Well if we are going to point out the faults of our players it would be only polite to point out that the incredible Mane didn't score a league goal between Liverpool away and Liverpool at home about 3 and half months and was in fact bloody awful during that time.....

Well if we are going to point out the faults of our players it would be only polite to point out that the incredible Mane didn't score a league goal between Liverpool away and Liverpool at home about 3 and half months and was in fact bloody awful during that time.....

Which I suspect coincided with his fall out with Ronald (if true)...

Not really; he was dropped by Koeman for the Norwich match and barely featured for many games after that - you know as well as I what a class act Mane is, and the thought of Les and co. selling so quickly and readily just sends a deflating message.

They're thinking 'What a bunch of pussies the Saints fans are...'

Probably thinking "wonder who's coming in through the door". We haven't started spending yet, keep your powder dry for (the extremely unlikely event) we don't bring any quality in. We've got a few quid to spend once the new boss is in place, too early for the lightweights to panic just yet.

Transfer fees are so crazy this summer, and given the referendum the transfer fees this summer if buying from abroad are inflated due to the FX rate, this doesn't seem enough for me. Domestic transfers this summer should be crazy money, £30m doesn't quite cut it I'm afraid.

I would think this one is just a matter of tying up the financials if it has now gone to a larger media outlet like the BBC, especially when it is their chief football reporter writing about it. Bye Mane

The BBC's chief football writer would have got the story from the Liverpool Echo's chief football writer.

Phil McNulty used to work there and is long-standing mates with Dave Prentice.

It all ratches up the pressure a bit, although at tis stage I would think nothing is confirmed.

The last three summers suggests we have to sell before we can buy. With all the TV revenue we get we still wont spend more than we sell. Admirable in some ways that this strategy has brought us success but in no way, shape or form can it be classified as having Ambition. Sooner or later the bubble will burst, next season going to be hard enough without selling key players and having another bedding in period.

BBC are saying £40 million, I suspect this is all agent talk and wishful thinking from Liverpool, some major tapping up going on it seems but there is no reason for the club to budge.

Just tell them £40 million or fudge off.

I seriously doubt as well that we would sell one of our major assets before the new manager is appointed.

Why not? We've done it before.

:mcinnes:

As frustrating as he is,he is the only player we have that can be having a absolute stinker for 89 mins then do something that wins you the game 1 minute later, no other player in our team can do that.

I have total faith in the board but if we flog him for £30m I would even start to question the reasoning/ambition of the club and why its always us ?

LIVERPOOL IN MANE TALKS

Liverpool are in talks with Southampton over the signing of forward Sadio Mane, according to Sky sources.

Alhough no fee has yet been agreed, discussions are ongoing and Liverpool are hopeful of bringing the player to Anfield for a fee in the region of £30m.

The 24-year-old is viewed by Jurgen Klopp as the perfect candidate to boost Liverpool's attack next season.

The Senegal international has scored 21 Premier League goals in 67 games since signing for the Saints from Red Bull Salzburg two years ago.

Sky just catching up.

Kind of easier to sell people, then appoint new man and move forwards, rather than having potential sales looming over you.

At the same time its probably harder to appoint a new guy when he will be told that every time a bid comes in for a player we will sell.

If we sell him for £30m I'll be ****ing raging.

Same here. Furthermore, I'll be ticked off if our replacement isn't at an advanced stage...money's all well and good, but if we then have to go and pay (excessive) premiums because clubs know we're flush, then the benefit of receiving bumper fees is somewhat undermined.

I think people better get used to the idea that Mane is going to Liverpool.

His agent has a massive say in his career unfortunately and the main factor in driving this move.

I just hope Redmond and Kostic are good additions to the squad and not replacements for Mane.

Mane is on a completely different level to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think people better get used to the idea that Mane is going to Liverpool.

His agent has a massive say in his career unfortunately and the main factor in driving this move.

I just hope Redmond and Kostic are good additions to the squad and not replacements for Mane.

Mane is on a completely different level to them.

I'd agree with that. Kostic & Redmond are both out & out wingers. Mane is our X-factor forward who's the difference maker.

(Redmond & Kostic won't be cheap either. Probably £20m for the pair?)