Wanyama Future

Saint Charlie

Halfway through his contract, probably unlikely to sign a new one so next summer he will be in the same position as Clyne and Jay Rod are this summer.

There will doubtless be some interest in him this summer after a superb season where he has really improved and arguably has been more consistent than Schneiderlin. He has also stated he wants to play Champions League again as all the top players do.

With potentially a declining transfer value after this summer due to his contract status, would it perhaps be the best time to cash in, or will we make a similar deal as with Morgan last summer that he stays one more year and then can leave with the Club's blessing?

The fact Morgan is leaving probably makes it less likely that Wanyama will but not impossible.

My opinion: Would imagine the latter as they won't want to lose Vic and Morgan at the same time and would look to resist all offers for him. Will be interesting if anyone comes in firmly for him though, and if he maybe feels he has done his time here and set himself up in the PL, ready for a move to one of the big guns. Guess he would be in the £20m bracket with age and potential factored in.

The club will not let what happened last summer happen again this year. Clyne, Morgan and Toby will go, I don't expect any other major player to go, and we are likely to attract good players with the combination of Koeman and hopefully European football in our favour.

As a club we wont willingly lose 4-6 first team players again, its basically suicide. We got away with it this year, in fact we have done an incredible job this year, but we would struggle to replicate this summers transfer 'policy' (term used loosely) ever again.

That said we dont know what the situation will be with Vic, in fact you could argue we might aswell sell all of our assets with declining contract status (which is pedantically the whole squad) but we wont.

Id be amazed if we arent trying to habd out some bigger contracts right now, hence our lack of any meaningful activity this january.

Need to keep him another season, then reassess. Assuming Morgan leaves, can't afford to lose the heart of our midfield, which is genuinely top four, in the same summer. Either way, don't see him going just yet.

Edited by shurlock

The club will not let what happened last summer happen again this year. Clyne, Morgan and Toby will go, I don't expect any other major player to go, and we are likely to attract good players with the combination of Koeman and hopefully European football in our favour.

Those are our best 3 players rofl :mcinnes:

Halfway through his contract, probably unlikely to sign a new one so next summer he will be in the same position as Clyne and Jay Rod are this summer.

There will doubtless be some interest in him this summer after a superb season where he has really improved and arguably has been more consistent than Schneiderlin. He has also stated he wants to play Champions League again as all the top players do.

With potentially a declining transfer value after this summer due to his contract status, would it perhaps be the best time to cash in, or will we make a similar deal as with Morgan last summer that he stays one more year and then can leave with the Club's blessing?

The fact Morgan is leaving probably makes it less likely that Wanyama will but not impossible.

My opinion: Would imagine the latter as they won't want to lose Vic and Morgan at the same time and would look to resist all offers for him. Will be interesting if anyone comes in firmly for him though, and if he maybe feels he has done his time here and set himself up in the PL, ready for a move to one of the big guns. Guess he would be in the £20m bracket with age and potential factored in.

This is a fact??? so where is he going??

Only annoying is that his contract ends in 2017- so, if we sell next season, we won't get as much as we should.

That's the issue really. We can get one more season of football from him but sell at half the price next summer. We need to get on top of better player contracts. As shown by Lallana and Lovren, the length of contract doesn't mean anything except for the price we can get. If we start losing this advantage, our transfer policy suddenly looks a bit precarious

Bit of a shame that of all the players we have signed since we became a PL side the only ones to sign new contracts are Davis and Yoshida.

We basically sign good players on usually 4 year deals and then are forced to sell after 2 or 3 years.

What is happening with Clyne will also happen with Jay Rod this summer, Wanyama next, Mane the season after etc.

Shows we target good players but agree with earlier comments that at times we don't seem to deal with contracts well. Fonte was a fiasco situation in the summer, Cork handled badly. Koeman said we only started talks with Clyne last autumn after he got in the Eng squad, which if truenis bizarre.

Hopefully we are trying to get Wanyama to sign another one, but he most likely won't.

So many of the squad are still going on about top4 which worries me as we have little to no chance.

When we inevitably finish 5th-7th I think some of them will be disappointed with it, which for a Club like Saints, is stupid. Wouldn't suprise me if a couple in the summer say they want CL footy if they can get it.

I thought Krueger said if players don't want to be here they can go.if so VW can move if he says he wants to.

i never believed we could go through what we did last summer and survive, if it happened again this summer I again would be very doubtful we could do the same as we have this season.

If we did happen to lose 4 of our best players, we would not only have to recruit 4 to replace them but also have a deeper squad to play in the Europa league.

I thought Krueger said if players don't want to be here they can go.if so VW can move if he says he wants to.

i never believed we could go through what we did last summer and survive, if it happened again this summer I again would be very doubtful we could do the same as we have this season.

If we did happen to lose 4 of our best players, we would not only have to recruit 4 to replace them but also have a deeper squad to play in the Europa league.

then why did we refuse to sell morgan?

???

That partnership is top 4 material. As I haven't claimed anything else, perhaps you can answer your own question and decide whether the rest of the side/squad is.

Nah, you said the heart of Saints' midfield is genuinely top four. The heart of Saints' midfield has helped the team to sixth place.

No heart, no life.

Can't see a current Top 4 club being interested in Wanyama given his limitations as a player. He's got some development to go yet.

I haven't seen any limitations this season, his passing has been fantastic as well. Maybe his shooting but that's not enough to deter a top team.

Whilst on the subject of Wanyama, i never understand why we don't have him in the box for corners. We always have him stood on the edge which given his accuracy in shooting doesn't make sense. He's powerful and good in the air so get him on the end of corners.

I haven't seen any limitations this season, his passing has been fantastic as well. Maybe his shooting but that's not enough to deter a top team.

Whilst on the subject of Wanyama, i never understand why we don't have him in the box for corners. We always have him stood on the edge which given his accuracy in shooting doesn't make sense. He's powerful and good in the air so get him on the end of corners.

Nor do I, he is right up there in my list of players of the season for me. Could easily go to a top four team IMO

Again Saint Charlie with a nehstibe thread. Groundhog Day. What if the world ends in ten years kind of post!

I dunno what nehstibe means exactly, but this strikes me as fair! Let us hope for better things. Let's hope Victor starts playing shit so no-one wants him :thumbup:

Just have a standard that players are offered a new contract 18 months before expiry of existing and if not accepted by 12 months to go, then sold to highest bidder.

We can't sell off players with 24 or "only 36 months" left on the contract.

I don't think we have to worry too much if players choose to move on, as our stock now is high and we can attract replacements.

That said, don't want to lose anyone, but accept we will, and we will bring in replacements.

Thankfully the days of drama and crisis and emergencies are behind us.

I think he is in charge of making sure the other side doesn't turn our corner into their breakaway.

Again Saint Charlie with a nehstibe thread. Groundhog Day. What if the world ends in ten years kind of post!

It's a discussion about Wanyama's future which begins with a post highlighting the amount of time left on his contract. What's, er, negative(?) about it?

I dunno what nehstibe means exactly, but this strikes me as fair! Let us hope for better things. Let's hope Victor starts playing shit so no-one wants him :thumbup:

Don't be so nehstibe, Bear. You need to be more podotibe.

Edited by The9

Just have a standard that players are offered a new contract 18 months before expiry of existing and if not accepted by 12 months to go, then sold to highest bidder.

We can't sell off players with 24 or "only 36 months" left on the contract.

I don't think we have to worry too much if players choose to move on, as our stock now is high and we can attract replacements.

That said, don't want to lose anyone, but accept we will, and we will bring in replacements.

Thankfully the days of drama and crisis and emergencies are behind us.

I'll believe that when we sell Schneiderlin AFTER we sign Clasie. :D

Bit of a shame that of all the players we have signed since we became a PL side the only ones to sign new contracts are Davis and Yoshida.

We basically sign good players on usually 4 year deals and then are forced to sell after 2 or 3 years.

What is happening with Clyne will also happen with Jay Rod this summer, Wanyama next, Mane the season after etc.

Shows we target good players but agree with earlier comments that at times we don't seem to deal with contracts well. Fonte was a fiasco situation in the summer, Cork handled badly. Koeman said we only started talks with Clyne last autumn after he got in the Eng squad, which if truenis bizarre.

Hopefully we are trying to get Wanyama to sign another one, but he most likely won't.

So many of the squad are still going on about top4 which worries me as we have little to no chance.

When we inevitably finish 5th-7th I think some of them will be disappointed with it, which for a Club like Saints, is stupid. Wouldn't suprise me if a couple in the summer say they want CL footy if they can get it.

Happens to the best, losing their best players every season hasn't destroyed Dortmund, I think Pepe summoned it up best when he said "Footballers are not always so responsive when the voice giving the instructions is the same" Pepe Guardiola

can't make my mind up about Victor.

He's a powerful presence in midfield, and although he isn't a clumsy tackler, it always seems that the opponents come off worst, and he gets yellow-carded far too easily.

He's put in some very good performances but lacks consistantcy, and that's important in his role.

I don't believe there is a great deal of interest from other Prem. sides (according to certain media sources), and so if a good offer came along... I think we ought to consider it as he is yet another £12 million signing who hasn't quite lived up to expectations.

He's a powerful presence in midfield, and although he isn't a clumsy tackler, it always seems that the opponents come off worst, and he gets yellow-carded far too easily.

He's put in some very good performances but lacks consistantcy, and that's important in his role.

I don't believe there is a great deal of interest from other Prem. sides (according to certain media sources), and so if a good offer came along... I think we ought to consider it as he is yet another £12 million signing who hasn't quite lived up to expectations.

OMG have you been watching this season? He is the key to our defensive success and he is still young and improving, I guess there is not a Premiership club that does not want him, but we've got him and must hold him

OMG have you been watching this season? He is the key to our defensive success and he is still young and improving, I guess there is not a Premiership club that does not want him, but we've got him and must hold him

Agree with that. Wasnt totally bowled over by him last year, his passing was by and large shocking. But this season he has been tremendous.

Almost everything you say is just....wrong.

I don't recall any media outlets saying specifically that there isn't much interest in him? Which articles are these?

£12m signing that hasn't lived up to expectations? What do you mean?

He was very good last year and easily in top 3 for POTS this year.

You will see how much we miss him in the next 2 games.

No way on earth we will accept £12m. Wow.

My God, you are joking aren't you?

It hasn't done them much good, 4 points off relegation, though they have improved over the last few weeks. Still only 10th this season though.

Atletico Madrid aren't doing so bad from it though, been selling stars since Torres went to Liverpool in 2007, Aguero, Costa and many more. They are a much bigger club than us though but on the other hand we play in the premier league where the clubs outside the top 2 get significantly more money than they do in La Liga

Haha, nice to see Davie is still pulling the wool over the eyes of everyone after many years.

May not be the most outwardly showoff-ish, but without doubt the most subtle and cleverest WUM on the SWF. Goes under the radar of the Mods, and unlike others is never i.) rude, ii.) arrogant and also has the developed the "character" with the most depth.

wEll done Davie!

:lol:

Almost everything you say is just....wrong.

I don't recall any media outlets saying specifically that there isn't much interest in him? Which articles are these?

£12m signing that hasn't lived up to expectations? What do you mean?

He was very good last year and easily in top 3 for POTS this year.

You will see how much we miss him in the next 2 games.

No way on earth we will accept £12m. Wow.

Sorry mate but you're being a mong with that post.

If everything that Dave says is wrong that means that....

You disagree that:

Wanyama is a powerful presence in midfield :mcinnes:

Opponents usually come of worse when tackling him :lol:

He gets yellow carded to easily :(

^ To me, all of the above are true :smug:

You also disagree that:

He's put in some very good performances :scared:

he has lacked consistency over the two seasons :?

Both are true tbh.... :smug:

You also disagree with Dave when he says "I don't believe there isn't a great deal of interested from other prem sides" - I have no idea what you base your complaint with this is. Wanyama is hardly ever mentioned with a move away from saints. It is almost constantly Either Morgan, Clyne, Jayrod or young Calum Slattery.

Finally, at no point does Dave say we should accept a £12m bid for him, or that there is one incoming. :mcinnes:

Thanks for taking the time to rip apart another poster who drew your ire though :lol: ;)

In terms of his contract, I think he has a useful role to us and may well shine when Morgan leaves, much as Fonte has done without Dejan. But if he is not interested in signing a new deal and wants to tag the club along then I would also consider selling him for a tidy profit if the right bid came in. Not sure why you felt to rip another poster apart for a fairly logical post tbh.