Nigel Adkins/Rickie Lambert

spyinthesky

I know its old news but there are a lot of us with genuine affection and respect for Nige and SRL for their contribution to Saints success story.

Wonder what next season has in prospect for both of them?

Possibility that Nigel will part company with Sheffield Utd who seem likely to miss out on promotion again, which won't go down well with the club owners.

Likewise SRL will presumably leave WBA and perhaps end up in the Championship where I reckon he will do well in a decent team

Best of luck to both of them

On a separate matter interesting to see that two of our loaned out central defensive players ie Stephens and Turnbull were on opposite sides in the Coventry v Swindon game at the weekend (both of them had played regularly at Swindon in the past) a game that also featured Aaaron Martin

...so what you are suggesting ..is that if Sheff Utd. don't get promoted....and if Nigel Adkins...doesn't get the sack...they'll sign Rickie Lambert for next season.

At this stage of his ...fast-declining career....Rickie would probably play for nothing .... just to get on the team sheet every week. I'd think he could afford to play for fun.

Yep they will but so will Nivea Boy. The more I watch clips of Lambert's contribution to our success the more I rate him. One of the finest forwards ever to wear the red and white imo.

Is that confirmation that lallana will be playing? I'm not sure that's the wisest decision...

Nigel's really at a crossroads at his career if he gets sacked. Two bad jobs in a row

I know it's easy in hindsight but the move to Reading just felt wrong. He should have kept his powder dry until summer 2013 because his stock was really high

I can't believe he has failed so badly at Sheffield United. Like lots of Sheffield United fans, I would have expected them to be challengng top two this season, with Play offs as an absolute minimum.

Won't surprise me to see him sacked in the summer, and if he does then his next job is likely to be at a level and club no bigger than S****horpe, middling League One level. Real shame, but I am sure he will come good somewhere again, just at a lower level than we'd like to see.

I can't believe he has failed so badly at Sheffield United. Like lots of Sheffield United fans, I would have expected them to be challengng top two this season, with Play offs as an absolute minimum.

Won't surprise me to see him sacked in the summer, and if he does then his next job is likely to be at a level and club no bigger than S****horpe, middling League One level. Real shame, but I am sure he will come good somewhere again, just at a lower level than we'd like to see.

Yep. He must also be thinking: 'Christ, last time I was at this level I had Lambert, Lallana, Schneiderlin, Chamberlain, Fonte etc'

I feel sorry for the way Adkins career nosedived but when you consider the fact that he got his double promotion with a team that included a spine comprised of players who 2-3 years later were a Portuguese, French and England international, and had two wingers who would eventually be valued at £40Mn for the pair, it's actually not all that special an achievement.

Still, mission accomplished and I'll remember him fondly for sure.

I feel sorry for the way Adkins career nosedived but when you consider the fact that he got his double promotion with a team that included a spine comprised of players who 2-3 years later were a Portuguese, French and England international, and had two wingers who would eventually be valued at £40Mn for the pair, it's actually not all that special an achievement.

Pretty much sums it up.....he got very lucky with who he had at his disposal.....and still failed to win titles.

Very mediocre,if that.

That's how I remember him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing Rickie back with us for a final year of his career. I think he would jump at the option of coming down on a reduced wage to be part of the match day squad and always giving us that option off the bench. He could be a good presence in the dressing room with Kelvin retiring. Just a thought for the board.

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind seeing Rickie back with us for a final year of his career. I think he would jump at the option of coming down on a reduced wage to be part of the match day squad and always giving us that option off the bench. He could be a good presence in the dressing room with Kelvin retiring. Just a thought for the board.

Who's space on the bench would you give him ?

Attackers off the bench isn't really an issue though and Lamberts' lack of game time over two seasons will have taken it's toll. Personally think the guy is a legend but there would be no benefit to him coming back now.

Pretty much sums it up.....he got very lucky with who he had at his disposal.....and still failed to win titles.

Very mediocre,if that.

That's how I remember him.

...and out he slithers.

Yeah, fair summary for me. To be fair, all parties did pretty well out of it, including him, so no complaints all round.

Is that confirmation that lallana will be playing? I'm not sure that's the wisest decision...

Why?

This is about Kelvin, and whoever he invites to celebrate his retirement is up to him. I do hope that you (if you might) and others with small-minded grudges (for whatever reason) against ex-saints players who were Kelvin's team mates do not spoil the occasion.

Nigel's really at a crossroads at his career if he gets sacked. Two bad jobs in a row

I know it's easy in hindsight but the move to Reading just felt wrong. He should have kept his powder dry until summer 2013 because his stock was really high

Completely agree. Reading was a weird move, there were a few better jobs likely to come along without the guaranteed relegation he inherited at Reading at the time.

As far as Lambert goes, I'm fairly sure he went to West Brom to either get more matches than Liverpool would give him, or guarantee an extra year or so on a Prem contract, I can't see him moving anywhere else now as Championship sides won't pay him the same kind of money. To be honest he's worked hard enough in the rest of his career to have earned that.

Why?

This is about Kelvin, and whoever he invites to celebrate his retirement is up to him. I do hope that you (if you might) and others with small-minded grudges (for whatever reason) against ex-saints players who were Kelvin's team mates do not spoil the occasion.

I didn't mention anything about me. I don't imagine I will boo him I'll probably just ignore him but I can't be sure in the moment.

Bit unfair on Nigel to suggest he has failed. Managers are on a hiding to nothing these days, brought in to prop up a collection of players who are under-performing and has never worked with or had a say in recruiting, given precious little money to improve the squad and not time to get back to basics and build a squad of his own. He succeeded spectacularly at Saints under Cortese an there is no reason why he will not do so again as long as he is patient and elects his next job wisely. Sadly, his family need food on the table and chances are he has never been paid in his whole career as much as Wenger might earn in one season so being patient might also be a luxury for him.

Nigel got us to the Premier League and was beginning to do a half decent job at that level until his quite unfair dismissal by the megalomaniac running the tent in those days. It was good to see him invited back by Katherina for the last game of last season; perhaps he'll be given the honour of managing the ex-Saints on Kelvin's big night.

... and you think Nigel Adkins had nothing to do with THEIR success?

Right manager at the right club at the right time. I give not one f u ck about winning L1 or the Championship in the same way I give not one f u ck about the JPT. All that mattered was getting back to the PL. Adkins did that. He molded a team that played great football and united everyone from the boardroom to the terraces. He was, and is, a top bloke and I'm chuffed that he managed our club.

Right manager at the right club at the right time. I give not one f u ck about winning L1 or the Championship in the same way I give not one f u ck about the JPT. All that mattered was getting back to the PL. Adkins did that. He molded a team that played great football and united everyone from the boardroom to the terraces. He was, and is, a top bloke and I'm chuffed that he managed our club.

That sentiment is shared by 99% of saints fans and is why he will get a heroes welcome whenever he comes back to sms. It's only a couple of weirdos on here that downplay his achievements or make out that it was such a simple task to get promoted twice in two seasons. The bloke is a saints legend and it's only on here have I seen one or two questioning that.

Would have been interesting to see whether Pardew could have arrested the slide in Saints' results at the start of the 2010/11 season the way he's since failed to do so at Newcastle and Palace.

Always interesting to see how "easy" it was for Adkins, who inherited a side full of future internationals... with a win, a draw and 3 defeats in the League (plus one cup win and two cup defeats), and took them to 30 wins 7 draws and 7 defeats (inc one against Man U).

Edited by The9

But it's the truth....

At least I'm consistent.

Whatever.

This is the truth:

That sentiment is shared by 99% of saints fans and is why he will get a heroes welcome whenever he comes back to sms. It's only a couple of weirdos on here that downplay his achievements or make out that it was such a simple task to get promoted twice in two seasons. The bloke is a saints legend and it's only on here have I seen one or two questioning that.

I've only ever seen one person discredit his work to be honest, and he's on here.

When we had Burley, we had a future Real Madrid superstar playing on the left. A future PL player in Baird, a future PL striker in Jones, Guthrie who turned out a decent enough player (who both did forge a decent career at that level for a bit). Polish internationals in Saganowski, Rasiak.

Yet we only scraped the playoffs, miles away from automatic promotion. You can say Adkins had french/england internationals in that side, but he helped make them internationals. The momentum he helped create put us where we are now, I'm not sure why this specific poster cannot accept that.

I've only ever seen one person discredit his work to be honest, and he's on here.

When we had Burley, we had a future Real Madrid superstar playing on the left. A future PL player in Baird, a future PL striker in Jones, Guthrie who turned out a decent enough player (who both did forge a decent career at that level for a bit). Polish internationals in Saganowski, Rasiak.

Yet we only scraped the playoffs, miles away from automatic promotion. You can say Adkins had french/england internationals in that side, but he helped make them internationals. The momentum he helped create put us where we are now, I'm not sure why this specific poster cannot accept that.

This.

Trophies are important, Adkins missed out just...... on two of them. The championship season was immense though

Very good for us but certainly not the next great English manager, Ferguson etc

He will never ever manage in the prem again unless he promotes a team to it, sadly

... and you think Nigel Adkins had nothing to do with THEIR success?

Well, yes, that's the counterargument and it's impossible to disprove the idea that none of them would have become the players they did without Adkins' influence.

Nevertheless, I find it hard to imagine any neutral supporters would expect less than promotion from any team that included those five players.

Take nothing away from Adkins though. He met his targets successfully and I for one have nothing bad to say about the guy. Sad that he's languishing in League one.

Well, yes, that's the counterargument and it's impossible to disprove the idea that none of them would have become the players they did without Adkins' influence.

Nevertheless, I find it hard to imagine any neutral supporters would expect less than promotion from any team that included those five players.

Take nothing away from Adkins though. He met his targets successfully and I for one have nothing bad to say about the guy. Sad that he's languishing in League one.

Those players weren't so highly rated by neutrals back then.

He will never ever manage in the prem again unless he promotes a team to it, sadly

LOL classic delldays.

So he will definitely maybe never ever manage in the premiership again unless he does :rolleyes:

Do you ever take a day off this forum dull boy?

Trophies are important, Adkins missed out just...... on two of them. The championship season was immense though

Very good for us but certainly not the next great English manager, Ferguson etc

I'm 100% sure that Reading and Brighton supporters would prefer to be in their position than ours. 100%. If only we had won those trophies, we could be where Reading and Brighton are now. If only.

He's a troll who's on the wind up. And a very very bad one. There is an art to trolling and if you get it right, it can be quite funny. There are one or two on here who I find rather amusing but saint lard lacks the intelligence to be a good troll.

LOL classic delldays.

So he will definitely maybe never ever manage in the premiership again unless he does :rolleyes:

Do you ever take a day off this forum dull boy?

What was wrong with what he said?

The only way he is going to manage in the top flight again is if he gets a club promoted to it. No existing Prem club is going to appoint him. He's mid table League One.

Not sure why you think that is in any way strange - there's loads of managers like that - Mick Mccarthy say, or Malkay McKay or Tony Mowbray etc.

I'm 100% sure that Reading and Brighton supporters would prefer to be in their position than ours. 100%. If only we had won those trophies, we could be where Reading and Brighton are now. If only.

what point are you trying to make?