Replacements for Mane and Wanyama.

Saint IQ

Clear they are going to go otherwise a new deal would of been signed or talked about more by now. Only question mark is if a club will be willing to give us the money we want for Mane who unfortunately hasn't had a good season.

I'll start it off, Pione Sisto for Mane. Ignacio Camacho for Wanyama

Depay may not have been great season but he is someone who has suffered most for me from LVG negative tactics - he looked great in his first few games.

Depay could potentially go on to be a much better player than Mane, as good as i think Mane is.

Depay plus cash for Mane would be an unbelievable deal really, i'd probably take a straight swap!

Mane with 2 years left and an african nations disrupted season to come. If he won't sign a new deal this summer's probably the ideal time to sell.

From the potentially relegated teams i think Wijnaldum and Redmond could be good additions.

I'm rather averse to the notion of Depay, especially his attitude. If we were to pick up any makeweight in the deal with utd i'd prefer a young player(as a nord iron fan i think Mcnair has the makings of a very good defensive midfielder if Koeman thinks Reed isn't up to the grade)

This is part of the reason you actually do want a big name manager; someone like Depay could easily wind up disrupting the squad and falling out with a manager like Pearson but Koeman on the other hand would command infinitely more respect.

Anyway, where have the rumours about Depay come from? Is there actually any solid evidence linking us with him?

Clear they are going to go otherwise a new deal would of been signed or talked about more by now. Only question mark is if a club will be willing to give us the money we want for Mane who unfortunately hasn't had a good season.

I'll start it off, Pione Sisto for Mane. Ignacio Camacho for Wanyama

But talks with Vic are happening. Ronald said so in press conference, with Les and agent (Ronald not involved). Don't think its clear cut at all that both or either will be off. Their ship sailed last summer, the same opportunities no longer exist in my view.

No chance depay will past character profiling given the press about his attitude for holland, ajax and at times Utd.

Ox possibly, depending on wages and price. For Wanyama I think it isn't definite that he goes, if he does, I'd love us to spend a bit in that position

No way we'd pay his wages.

If anyone is going to straighten him out though it's Koeman. He evidently has a zero ****ing about policy when it comes to players and egos/behavior.

Koeman admitted that we'd had an interest in the past, so despite Depay's reputation Ron must have thought he could do something with him. But if we did sign him and Koeman is only here for another year, then what?

Personally I hope we don't go anywhere near him. We don't need his elephant-sized ego or his elephant-sized wages at the club.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a "replacement" as such bought in for Mane. Depends on if the staff think Rodriguez can stay fit and hit form and whether Juanmi will progress next season, coupled with the likes of Hesketh and Sims pushing the squad. I'd really like us to spend big on Sigurdsson this summer though, so selling Mane, using Rodriguez as his replacement and signing a back up wouldn't make me unhappy.

For Wanyama, I have no clue. It'll be someone from abroad we know very little about.

Wijnaldum is criminally overrated, really hope we go nowhere near him. Embolo is doing really good things at Basel but I'm not entirely sure if he's already a level above us, could see him going to Dortmund.

Would love for us to sign Embolo, but like you say he's considered a top prospect and would only go to a top club willing to pay his price. Plus the fact he is a striker and we already have enough strikers.

Would love for us to sign Embolo, but like you say he's considered a top prospect and would only go to a top club willing to pay his price. Plus the fact he is a striker and we already have enough strikers.

I think he mostly plays on the right for them now unless I'm mistaken? More of an inside-forward kind of player like Rodriguez used to be before his injury.

whoever we bring in for wanyama, I hope its someone with real passion and actual interest in playing for the shirt and not just perform at big games to showcase himself. as for mane I think it won't be a like for like, maybe an old fashioned winger or a no10 but I am not sure many clubs will go for him this summer due to stuff mentioned above, maybe next summer if he has a good season.

Mane is a Southampton player with two years left on his contract so he'll not be allowed to leave this summer. Besides if Koeman is put in the position of having to rebuild from scratch for a third time in succession he'll be so hacked off it will prove impossible to get his signature on a new contract. Most of all this summer he and we want stability, any reconstruction work should be above ground.

Mane is a Southampton player with two years left on his contract so he'll not be allowed to leave this summer. Besides if Koeman is put in the position of having to rebuild from scratch for a third time in succession he'll be so hacked off it will prove impossible to get his signature on a new contract. Most of all this summer he and we want stability, any reconstruction work should be above ground.

2 players is not rebuilding from scratch...they're not even our two most important players.

2 players is not rebuilding from scratch...they're not even our two most important players.

I'd argue they are two of our most important players; particularly Mane. VVD and RB are the other two that fit the most important player category.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a "replacement" as such bought in for Mane. Depends on if the staff think Rodriguez can stay fit and hit form and whether Juanmi will progress next season, coupled with the likes of Hesketh and Sims pushing the squad. I'd really like us to spend big on Sigurdsson this summer though, so selling Mane, using Rodriguez as his replacement and signing a back up wouldn't make me unhappy.

For Wanyama, I have no clue. It'll be someone from abroad we know very little about.

Agree with your comments about no direct replacement for Mane but I'd love us to spend big on Hakim Ziyech, rather than Sigurdsson. For big Vic's replacement would love it if we could get Leon Goretzka. He's class.

Forsters interview on sky sports just now was certainly leaving the door open for him too leave.

Spoke about saints almost in the past tense.

Very flattered to be linked with clubs.....shows he's doing well.....loved being at SFC.....two years left on contract and it's just speculation.

I've had a great time at SFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoever we bring in for wanyama, I hope its someone with real passion and actual interest in playing for the shirt and not just perform at big games to showcase himself.

This. Wanyama can do one as far as I'm concerned. Never wanted to be here.

I'd argue they are two of our most important players; particularly Mane. VVD and RB are the other two that fit the most important player category.

Our most important players are always the ones there will be transfer speculation about, as they are the ones other clubs want to buy. It's not their fault that they are good players. It doesn't make them any less loyal than the players other clubs don't want so it's unfair of some of our fans to turn against them before they've even been sold.

Sigurdsson would be a good addition to the team

Really? Where do you get that from?

For the duration of his contract there have been quotes (subsequently squashed by Vic) saying he sees us as a stepping stone and would love to move etc etc.

These may not have been direct quotes but I'm willing to bet it was at least his agent stirring the muck.

What's the deal? He's played well for us, had a great partnership with morgan and then added some stability/continuity to the midfield after he left last summer.

His attitude strikes me as fairly relaxed and funny, every video/clip I've seen him he seems alright. To talk of always wanting to go to another club...who cares? I probably would if I was him - esp. in central africa where they grow up only having heard of Man U and Arsenal! I was in Uganda two years ago, everyone was a fan of one of those two clubs.

So what's the deal - he wants to go elsewhere and has played for us, do you really expect every footballer who plays on SMS pitch suddenly becomes that Saints values and vision is the best and wants to be a part of the journey? Just doesn't happen, we may brand ourselves some kind of forward thinking family club that these players 'join' but they are at the end of the day working for us, for money.

Not saying I don't want players who want to play for the badge, of course I do. And coincidentally most of the lads that have joined the last 2 years seem to talk positively about saints beyond the paycheck - that we are ambitious, good facilities, good atmosphere and team spirit etc.

But in Wanyama's case I hold nothing against him. He's not played well for several games this season....isn't that basically the case for every single one of our players except the back 4 or 5?? All of our outfield players further forward than the defenders has had inconsistent seasons.

For the duration of his contract there have been quotes (subsequently squashed by Vic) saying he sees us as a stepping stone and would love to move etc etc.

These may not have been direct quotes but I'm willing to bet it was at least his agent stirring the muck.

Yeah that and his bloody attitude.

Firstly, it is not clear they will both leave at all.

But anyway, I would love us to really push the boat out and go for Renato Sanches.. probably unrealistic and would not be cheap but would be quite a statement of intent.

But anyway, I would love us to really push the boat out and go for Renato Sanches.. probably unrealistic and would not be cheap but would be quite a statement of intent.

He is going to Man Utd for €40m apparently. Out of our league

Well we went down to the woods and found a rod that fits our own backs perfectly with this situation.

Until we STOP being a selling club and a general "big boys plaything"...Utd, Arse, Liv etc..etc..we're only ever going to attract stepping stone players.

It baffles me that fans are still shocked when players come out with these kind of statements.

Seriously, that's who we've been as a club since the Lowe/wilde days.

It is pretty clear, would be staggered if we hold onto one of them. And quite frankly if anyone gets in an outrage, criticises the club etc. When they do leave then it'll be absolutely ridiculous.

What's the deal? He's played well for us, had a great partnership with morgan and then added some stability/continuity to the midfield after he left last summer.

His attitude strikes me as fairly relaxed and funny, every video/clip I've seen him he seems alright. To talk of always wanting to go to another club...who cares? I probably would if I was him - esp. in central africa where they grow up only having heard of Man U and Arsenal! I was in Uganda two years ago, everyone was a fan of one of those two clubs.

So what's the deal - he wants to go elsewhere and has played for us, do you really expect every footballer who plays on SMS pitch suddenly becomes that Saints values and vision is the best and wants to be a part of the journey? Just doesn't happen, we may brand ourselves some kind of forward thinking family club that these players 'join' but they are at the end of the day working for us, for money.

Not saying I don't want players who want to play for the badge, of course I do. And coincidentally most of the lads that have joined the last 2 years seem to talk positively about saints beyond the paycheck - that we are ambitious, good facilities, good atmosphere and team spirit etc.

But in Wanyama's case I hold nothing against him. He's not played well for several games this season....isn't that basically the case for every single one of our players except the back 4 or 5?? All of our outfield players further forward than the defenders has had inconsistent seasons.

"The deal" is that his attitude early in the season f*cked over our European campaign, and most of our Prem season as I maintain the players struggled to get over going out how we did. If he wants to leave, fine. No-one has any bad feelings towards Schneiderlin - because he didn't cost us a huge game.

Whatever Wanyama did he wasn't an important factor in us not beating a limited team in the Europa League.

We needed to play better, not pick a weirdly defensive and paceless team in the crucial away leg and ultimately create and score more.

Wasn't it the same formation that worked so well for us later in the season? We tried it a few times at the start, the players weren't used to it then.

But more than anything else the players just did not look up for it that day. I'm convinced Wanyamas refusal to play affected the team.

Well we went down to the woods and found a rod that fits our own backs perfectly with this situation.

Until we STOP being a selling club and a general "big boys plaything"...Utd, Arse, Liv etc..etc..we're only ever going to attract stepping stone players.

It baffles me that fans are still shocked when players come out with these kind of statements.

We've always had a problem keeping hold of our best players and it goes back long before the Lowe/Wilde days. In my Saints supporting life we have regularly had an uphill battle trying to keep players who were ambitious and coveted by other clubs. In 1968 a local lad called Martin Chivers attracted the attention of the big boys and he went to Spurs for a (then English record) fee of £125,000. He was followed by others subsequently (before the Lowe years) including:

Danny Walace

Mark Wright

Alan Shearer

Tim Flowers

Jeff Kenna

There were probably others over those years and I guess still more before my time... Until we are regularly challenging for titles / cups and are playing in Europe most years I can't see this changing.

This is a pointless ambition that is never going to happen.

Being a 'stepping stone' club is perfectly fine for us, and signing 'stepping stone' players like Mane is exactly what we need to do.

If ambitious players see us as a gateway to Manchester United, then good. They only get to sign for United after performing well for us for two years at least, therefore contributing to fine league placings and one day maybe even a cup.

I take it you didn't object when we signed Virgil, Victor and Forster from our own favourite stepping stone club, right? Because that's fine, isn't it?

This is a pointless ambition that is never going to happen.

Being a 'stepping stone' club is perfectly fine for us, and signing 'stepping stone' players like Mane is exactly what we need to do.

If ambitious players see us as a gateway to Manchester United, then good. They only get to sign for United after performing well for us for two years at least, therefore contributing to fine league placings and one day maybe even a cup.

I take it you didn't object when we signed Virgil, Victor and Forster from our own favourite stepping stone club, right? Because that's fine, isn't it?

giphy.gif