Fulham v.s Saints; Match Thread Here:

Monk

The good news is that we are winning and i really don't want us to go out of the FA cup in the 3rd round.

The bad is that we are playing terribly. Boufal has been the one bright spark, terrorising them. Our goal came from a very fortunte deflection frtom their player but it was a nice finish by JWP

I'm very much a Davis fan but today he is having a horrible game, his touch in particular which is usually so good is deserting him.

Hopefully we can escape out with a win or a draw & board will get rid of pellegrino because it is clear that's not good enough.

A few things - we look slightly better on the ball today than against Palace, Shane Long clearly looks much sharper than in previous weeks and was unlucky to have a goal disallowed. Our best player is either JWP/Boufal (after flourishing after a shaky start) - Romeu looks better today. Bertrand seems less miserable than usual.

Davis having a mare.

Negatives: Still slow to react to clear danger/balls in the box/curved runs - Stephens looks a bit off-the-pace and lacks concentration today.

Still, we are playing a strong side against Fulham who are fairly poor - as they only have one way of playing (keep ball and trying little one-twos and through balls) - this game is crying out for us to stick on Gabb instead of Davis and press them high up the pitch to get a second goal.

Brighton/Watford etc will be a completely different proposition - still at least we're winning *****il the traditional second half drop deep and fade away... inevitable Pellegrino tactic happens)

Davis' first touch has been awful all game, what's wrong with him? Usually his technique and control is the strongest aspect of his game.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Ask how many times he’s played a game and you’ll find an answer. For me this is a clear indication of what happens when a consistent team is not put out....players are not ‘match fit’ and not in tune with each other’s game. JWP on the hand has looked better because he’s had the game starts.

1-0, but not convincing so far.

A couple of lazy players, still too many mistakes in possession.

Plus points:

Boufal

Hoj (mostly)

Long's confidence seems to be up - ooh just saw his 'goal': he was never offside

JWP seems to be doing ok

Romeu is working hard

0 goals conceded, despite scratchy defence

... and creates our goal (Adam & Dave waxing lyrical about his contribution to the goal).

Davis was involved in the buildup to the goal, he played in Boufal who flicked it to Long just inside the box. There’s a scramble between Long and the defenders and the ball lands quite fortunately for JWP off one of the defenders.

The air of negativity around Saints really depresses me. I don't think we're playing badly. Our one-touch passing out of defense is as good as it gets, and there are countless occasions where we've been unlucky in final third. Could easily be 3-0 to us at halftime. Shane Long was level for what was a brilliant strike. And the penalty should have been given.

Yes, Davis has mis-passed a few times, but has also won back the ball many times and put in a couple of magical touches. But when everyone's down on the time, all that gets ignored. Boufal, JWP, Romeu, Long all impressive this half. I'm holding for scenario of great cup run plus premier league turn around. A great striker signed this window would help, but I'll be supporting the team regardless.

People are very quick to be negative at the moment. Yes we’ve a couple of shaky moments at the back but it’s a makeshift back line.

Granted we don’t look brilliant but we were clearly the better side in that half. JWP and Boufal playing well.

The air of negativity around Saints really depresses me. I don't think we're playing badly. Our one-touch passing out of defense is as good as it gets, and there are countless occasions where we've been unlucky in final third. Could easily be 3-0 to us at halftime. Shane Long was level for what was a brilliant strike. And the penalty should have been given.

Yes, Davis has mis-passed a few times, but has also won back the ball many times and put in a couple of magical touches. But when everyone's down on the time, all that gets ignored. Boufal, JWP, Romeu, Long all impressive this half. I'm holding for scenario of great cup run plus premier league turn around. A great striker signed this window would help, but I'll be supporting the team regardless.

Yes! Looking forward to lots more Saints goals right in front of us this half[emoji3]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The air of negativity around Saints really depresses me. I don't think we're playing badly.

Ditto. I'm not depressed about the Saints, I'm extremely depressed about the fans though. Been staying off here as much as possible, but trying to keep in mind that everything the internet touches turns to sh*t so i guess every team's message boards are just as lame.

But yes good points and thank you for continuing to make them. Would be nice to see people backing the club, but we've got too many geniuses up in here, and not enough supporters.

We're negative because we want things to go well, so criticise and offer different ideas when things don't go well, in an attempt to work out how we could/would fix it.

When they don't go well lots of times, or over a period of time, the negativity naturally builds up.

That's happened recently.

We still enjoy it when we win (Everton, anyone?).

Ok, back to the game today...

Ooh Hoj was unlucky there! Great move. Good save.