• Carillo
    • Boufal
    • Tadic
    • PEH
    • Long
    • Redmond
    • Pellegrino

Lemina MOTM by a mile.

Good to see the players giving Boufal the b*ollocking he deserved after trying to take the ball off JWP for the FK. And good on JWP for banging it in and proving a point.

And good to see Boufal eager to take responsibility. Good all round

Also how good was Lemina? He should play every single game.

To be (slightly) fair to Pellegrino.... Lemina was below par in the last few games he started.... probably because he still wasn't 100% match fit... but, yes, when he's 100% fit and in form, as he was today, then he's a 'must start' every game, f'sure

Edited by trousers

So refreshing to see us attack teams, shock it makes us play better (had we tried to hold 2-1 we’d have lost that game).

Lemina back to his very best

Carrillo highlighted just what we’ve been missing (a focal point to our attack)

Bertrand and Cedric v good... again.

Good to see JWP getting amongst the goals recently (fair play to him, been very good recently).

Feel so much more confident having McCarthy between the sticks.

Don’t want to get carried away as it was only a very poor West Brom... but imo one of the best performances this season.

On to Liverpool, which should suit us.

Also, well done to MP today.

The players were superb after the game. Came over and applauded the fans, and about 4/5 of them gave their shirts to the fans. You can tell that there is still a lot of fight in the team and this is why I think it's important to cheer them even through the rough times and no boo the **** out of them. They clearly appreciated the support today so keep it up!!

To use a pundit cliche if that shove on Long happens anywhere else it is a free kick all day long

I'd forgotten about the Long stonewall penalty... I was thinking of the trip on Boufal when responding to Jonnyboy.... so that's two good penalty shouts we had, to WBA's one....

Stephens: 6 - does some things really well, some adequately, some quite poorly. Easily outfoxed again from a corner to lose his man, who scored

I'm getting a tad annoyed about this now.... have a butcher's at the replay.... Stephens was almost pulled to the ground by Hegazi just before he scored.... it was a clear cut foul on Stephens... he didn't lose his man... Hegazi impeded him such that it was impossible for Stephens to follow him.

The players were superb after the game. Came over and applauded the fans, and about 4/5 of them gave their shirts to the fans. You can tell that there is still a lot of fight in the team and this is why I think it's important to cheer them even through the rough times and no boo the **** out of them. They clearly appreciated the support today so keep it up!!

On my way back as we speak, I actually thought our fans were pretty good today. Stuck with us even at 1-0 down, when things could have turned nasty.

Im not a fan of booing although I can see why fans do it, especially recently.

I’m led to believe thy generally we have a decent bunch of lads, am also told that generally they ‘like’ MP (not sure if that’s personally or in a footballing sense). I think they want him to do well, unlike Puel - which proved his downfall. Maybe that’s why the board have given him more time than he probably deserved.

I’ve been a big critic of the board, but despite how people feel, we really need to rally behind the squad. Hopefully today will inspire the fans / players.

Love getting home by 18.00 via the train!

1st 20mins we were beyond sh_it. We looked bereft of ideas and confidence but as soon as ML hit that thunderc*nt, which I think we were all celebrating before it even left his boot, the whole attitude and mood change. Body language was positive and we started to move the ball with pace and purpose.

Why people on here give JWP grief I'll never know. He's an excellent player. Tactically astute and now, tough and good in all elements of the game.

That said, ML was a monster and clear MOTM to me and those I traveled with.

Pellegrino picked a good line-up. I might have played Hoj over Romeu but it was great to see him get the lineup just about right. I hope he resists the urge to tinker in future games.

Lots of good possession in their half while they were trying to mount a comeback, rather than sitting back with ten men behind the ball.

I think that Lemina is coming into his own after his injury. He was class today. Not just his goal, but the way he brought the ball out from defensive positions. Easily my MOM.

I appreciated the leadership that Lemina and Hoedt displayed when dealing with Boufal on the free kick in the second half, that JWP scored.

Mainly, I just appreciate that we played well and won. Weekends are so much better when we win.

I'm getting a tad annoyed about this now.... have a butcher's at the replay.... Stephens was almost pulled to the ground by Hegazi just before he scored.... it was a clear cut foul on Stephens... he didn't lose his man... Hegazi impeded him such that it was impossible for Stephens to follow him.

I may not be seeing this correctly, but to me it seems it's Stephens trying to hold Hegazi by the shirt (and not the other way around), and then falls over because the guy's running away from him.

It almost seemed the turning point was the “Sacked in the morning” song?!

Ref gave Long nothing, I thought he was fouled 3 or 4 times but not a thing.

Good fight back, great atmosphere after we equalised and nice to see the players giving their shirts away at the end. Looked like Boufal was joining in with the Lemina song

Give over mate. He had a massive chunk of Hegazi's shirt and let him get away.

If we beat Liverpool, then MP starts to turn the tide. My worry is he’s only ever 90mins from the lynch mob.

Is he the man for the long term? No, so just get on with it.

Football fans are a fickle bunch. If he starts getting wins and shows signs of improvement, all will be forgotten.

The vitriol he gets is because most folk on here think that it’s a scenario beyond him.

What a fantastic result, just as everything seemed to turning to absolute ****.

Great team selection, great tactics, great performance. Lemina was absolutely tremendous with or without his goal. I really don't want to acknowledge that WBA are bottom of the table as it will take the shine off things, and we haven't had a great deal to smile about recently. I will stick my head in the sand for a bit and think of how they stuff Liverpool last week.

I feel a little bit sorry for those on here who seem to have made it their life's work to **** and moan about MP, so possibly can't enjoy it as much as I will tonight. Yes it hurts when Saints lose, but everyone at the club is trying their absolute best to win every game. Every now and then fans need to just consider that. Its their jobs, their careers, their lives. They care just as much as we do.

Edited by Chez

Just watched it again and it's a fair cop... When I first watched it I thought it was Hegazi grabbing Stephens' shirt, but it's the other way around. I'll shut up now! :)

Stevens has to be stronger. Not just that incident but for all set pieces. Its a weakness that we havent had at CB for a long long time.

Thanks.

BBC comment said Lemina's goal was from 20 yards out. More like 25+. Fantastic strike, deserved a win just for that. One of those you could watch again and again. Not quite Golac, but a clean hit into the top corner does it for me.

JWP's free kick was pretty good, too. Hard & low, tough for any keeper.

Lol at the mania on here.

One penalty decision away from a draw. A long way to go yet to avoid relegation.

Oh, f*ck off! If he gave that pen, then he would have had to give the one on Long (which he damn well should have anyway).

Add in all the chances we missed, we absolutely bossed that game.

Just p*ss off and enjoy today, FFS.

So what did we do differently like line up wise?

Nothing too much - it was just a combination of playing a terrible side and us playing our better players in each position whilst having a player up front who won his fair share in the air and had the instincts to be in the right positions in the box.

First twenty and last twenty were bad, but inbetween we took advantage of playing a poor team that had plenty of their better players injured.

I'm not ****ing over us winning, but the truth is that we didn't do much differently at all. We maybe moved the ball quicker a few times to be fair, but that may be it.

Just watched it again and it's a fair cop... When I first watched it I thought it was Hegazi grabbing Stephens' shirt, but it's the other way around. I'll shut up now! :)

Ok, I know I've had four beers since full-time, but what replay are you watching?!? Third replay: Hegazi clearly has a handful of Stephens' shirt, which unbalances him and allows Hegazi a free run.

Looking at the final replay on the goalsplanet link it clearly looks like its a piece of red shirt being pulled. Probably 50/50.

So what did we do differently like line up wise?

Gave Lemina more control of the midfield, and we had a target man up front. Meant we looked to pass forwards more (although old habits had to be purged first, like during the first 20 minutes when we were a bit ordinary).

If we could do the same in future games then we may escape the quicksand of the relegation battle.

Depends if the manager can be more consistent with selections and make fewer changes, but more effective ones.

Great performance, we played some excellent stuff after the equaliser which instilled the belief that's been missing for most of the season.

But pellegrino still needs to go. I'd be amazed if anybody on here didn't expect us to draw or lose that game after west broms second, and either could have happened. A quick look through the match thread says it all, the game from that point had watford away written all over it. Delighted with the three points, but I'm hoping that gives the new manager a better chance of keeping us up rather than pell a better chance of keeping his job.

Watching that Lemina goal fly in from the away end was a beautiful moment. As soon as it left his foot there was only one place it was ending up.

Boufal shushing us and then apologising before Ward Process scored was pretty funny. He ended up dealing with it pretty well because that could have been a nasty moment for him.

3 points, a world class goal and an amazing curry. Can't ask for much more from a day out.

Why people on here give JWP grief I'll never know. He's an excellent player. Tactically astute and now, tough and good in all elements of the game.

Agreed. He's really starting to become the player we'd always hoped he would. He's obviously taken some advice from somewhere as he's changed his game in the last dozen or so games. Passes forward (decent passes too), getting stuck into tackles and scoring goals.

Boufal shushing??? Explain?

Also did Lemina run over to the bench after the goal (ala Boufal)?

As soon as the free kick was given Boufal picked up the ball and was gesturing that he was to take it. Stephens took the ball away and gave it to JWP and Boufal was moaning. There was some noise from the fans and Boufal put his finger to his lips to tell the fans to be quiet. Lemina was then with Boufal and he then walked off and stood on his own towards the corner flag. JWP wasn’t flustered by it at all and stuck it in the net, Boufal was the first to celebrate the goal with him, he also did an apologetic wave to the fans.

Agreed. He's really starting to become the player we'd always hoped he would. He's obviously taken some advice from somewhere as he's changed his game in the last dozen or so games. Passes forward (decent passes too), getting stuck into tackles and scoring goals.

He's always had the talent but manager after manager insisted on playing Tadic wide right, meaning JWP was shoehorned in elsewhere or dropped. Now he's playing in his best position, which in turn gives a better balance to the team.