Alex McCarthy

lumuah

If they buy a keeper it will be someone who has had several seasons in a top league, playing regularly. Not someone who's had half a season, once.

They can't afford another **** up.

Fraser Forster sounds perfect for them! ;)

He’s got Champions League experience and has won one of Europe’s “premier” leagues.

Let’s start touting him for £85 million and let them think they’re getting a bargain when we finally settle for £45 million.

Think people really overestimate the demand. He's done great, but what's he's done is earn himself a season as our no1. If that goes really well, then maybe he'd be wanted by big clubs. But Butland, Pope and probably Heaton would be in more demand at the moment.

Amazed Butland hasn't already been snapped up. Liverpool and Arsenal would be mad not to get the deal done asap.

Maybe we should be in for Butland, if he gets along with Hughes......

According to this, Klopp wants Roma’s Alisson to replace Karius. Says he’s fixated on Alisson, like he was fixated on VVD, but Roma are asking for too much because they feel they let Salah go for too little...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/27/liverpool-plan-fresh-attempt-sign-roma-goalkeeper-alisson-loris/

Here's a novel idea.....why not develop their own keeper via their academy and coaches. But no, just get the cheque book out and go buy someone. Same with all PL clubs.

Here's a novel idea.....why not develop their own keeper via their academy and coaches. But no, just get the cheque book out and go buy someone. Same with all PL clubs.

You can say that about 95% of clubs in England.

You can say that about 95% of clubs in England.

True, but what exacerbates the problem (at least in my eyes) is that those outside of the PL tend to go to lower leagues and the money stays within the British game much more. The PL going abroad seems just to help overseas clubs and overseas football development. I do think that there should be a surcharge for all players brought in from abroad. I used to think 10-15% which would go to grass roots (that is if the FA didn't pocket it first). I am now thinking 25-30% would be better. It is all part of my disenchantment with football.

How would a story like that make any difference to him getting a better contract from Saints? Hard to see why any professional club would make decisions based on stories in the Mirror about interest from other clubs.

Can't see it - played half decent for a few months and now Spurs, Liverpool etc now want him? No chance.

He's finally earned himself a number 1 shirt, if he wants to chuck that away to be a number 2 somewhere else then good luck to him.

Not sure why you've bought Gazzaniga into this, or what point you're trying to make to be honest.

My point was Gazzaniga didn't set the world alight at Saints, but got a move to Spurs to be 3rd choice.

Can't see it - played half decent for a few months and now Spurs, Liverpool etc now want him? No chance.

Yet you said there is "no chance" Spurs would want Alex McCarthy to be 2nd choice if Michel Vorm leaves.

Edited by Matthew Le God

How does that work in practice? What are Saints going to do based on reading a story in the Mirror?

Who knows if it's true in this case? Maybe, maybe not.

I think you're naive if you think it's never happened in the past.

My point was Gazzaniga didn't set the world alight at Saints, but got a move to Spurs to be 3rd choice.

Yet you said there is "no chance" Spurs would want Alex McCarthy to be 2nd choice if Michel Vorm leaves.

Stuart Taylor didn’t set the world alight either, yet is our third choice goalkeeper.

Again, no idea what relevance you’re trying to make by bringing Spurs’ 3rd choice goalkeeper into it.

Why would he want to go back to being no2 keeper?

Keepers like Begovic went from regular football at Stoke to bigger money at Chelsea and a place on the bench. Vorm went from regular football at Swansea to 2nd choice at Spurs.

They didn’t go back to being second choice as you said yourself, they were playing regular football, he wasn’t. Why after finally establishing himself as a number 1 would he want to go back as a number 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They didn’t go back to being second choice as you said yourself, they were playing regular football, he wasn’t. Why after finally establishing himself as a number 1 would he want to go back as a number 2.

More money?

I'm not sure what you are objecting to in what I said...

Begovic was established as a number one at Stoke... yet went to Chelsea to be a number two

Vorm was established as a number one at Swansea... yet went to Spurs to be a number two

Money very likely influenced those moves.

I'm not sure what you are objecting to in what I said...

Begovic was established as a number one at Stoke... yet went to Chelsea to be a number two

Vorm was established as a number one at Swansea... yet went to Spurs to be a number two

Money very likely influenced those moves.

Established for many years, McCarthy has only just established himself as a No1 for 3/4 of a season after many

many years of failing to do so.

Established for many years, McCarthy has only just established himself as a No1 for 3/4 of a season after many

Exactly the point , although it seems to have gone over others heads. They’re comparing a keeper that has only just broken through , with two that were regular starters.

Exactly the point , although it seems to have gone over others heads. They’re comparing a keeper that has only just broken through , with two that were regular starters.

Why does that matter? They still agreed to go from 1st choice to 2nd choice at a bigger club. Why is the length of time they were 1st choice relevant to the decision? They moved for money, if McCarthy is offered a huge pay rise and the odd European game it wouldn't be surprising to see him go.

FF will be first choice keeper next season as there will be no interest from any other club to pay him 95k per week to match his current contract.

Another fine mess from Les offering such a ridiculous contract. It’s cost us a keeper coz we won’t match that for AM.

Seems pretty simple to me:

Give McCarthy a new deal and the number 1 shirt.

Try to offload Forster, if no one wants him then the clowns that gave him a new contract have to live with their ineptness whilst FF sits on the bench.

That being said, I fully expect McCarthy to be sold and Forster to be starting the first game come August. Shambles.

Surely even we're not dumb enough to make a truly dodgy keeper out #1 and ship out our player of the season simply due to wages. Whether he's first choice or not, they still have pay him. Let's make Carrillo the 2nd name of the team sheet then, given that he's our record signing.

Surely even we're not dumb enough to make a truly dodgy keeper out #1 and ship out our player of the season simply due to wages. Whether he's first choice or not, they still have pay him. Let's make Carrillo the 2nd name of the team sheet then, given that he's our record signing.

No mate its just speculative nonsense...

Didn't we give him a new 5/6 year contract when he was only 1 year into the renewed 5/6 bumper contract? Unbelievable decision by the Club.

With hindsight not that big a surprise on the part of the club, given whats gone on this year. In that the Chairman comes out in January to the media giving the manager, who as far as a vast majority of the fans in the stands were concerned had a huge question mark over his head, the vote of confidence, citing the VVD fiasco as the root of all woes. Then in the post season interview to the media, the Chairman then admitted that they didn't realise that our Premier League status was under threat until January, when most fans had seen the neon sign being wired up in the Leicester home debacle and tested on Boxing Day............many had seen the sign being delivered back when we got done in our own back yard quite feebly by Wolves second string in the League Cup.

Many fans saw the Forster contract renewal as a message to stop the "brain drain" that had become the norm at Saints, yet more cynical viewers looked at the size of that contract renewal with raised eyebrows, in that we were rewarding a key player so handsomely, especially one who's distribution with his feet alone was questionable and seemingly un-curable.

With that level of shortsightedness, especially with how this past season panned out, it really is no wonder that we find ourselves painted into a corner where Alex McCarthy is concerned.

£15m?! F***ing hell. Though that would work out at £58k p/w, not £90-95k.

Forgetting about whether he is any good etc, £60k pw for a first choice ‘keeper for a top 10 premier league side (with said keeper in national squads) is perfectly reasonable.