Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

:mcinnes:

So, in one breath Hardyman states that it was Pompey's policy, whilst in the Premier League, to try and poach youngsters from lower league clubs (with other people's money of course) but now that Pompey are bumping along the bottom of the Football League its wrong all of a sudden.

#sameoldpompey

p.s. good to see a Portsmouth rag describing us a "high flying" though. I like the sound of that...

So, in one breath Hardyman states that it was Pompey's policy, whilst in the Premier League, to try and poach youngsters from lower league clubs (with other people's money of course) but now that Pompey are bumping along the bottom of the Football League its wrong all of a sudden.

#sameoldpompey

p.s. good to see a Portsmouth rag describing us a "high flying" though. I like the sound of that...

I like this quote

‘But surely every kid born in and around Portsmouth would want to play for their local club.’

Presumably he means kids like Chamberlain, Ward-Prowse, Josh Sims...

LOL!

Pompey fans *****ing about getting youngsters taken from under their noses all forget that current hero/zero Jed Wallace (supposedly their star player) was bought from Lewes for peanuts when he was aged 16.

He is a villain now, because the club are desperately trying to flog him, all he wants to do is build a career for himself.

What utter hypocrites, especially considering the glorious past of redknapp, clotteril and voldermort. #qualityoverquantity the youth arent good enough

#sameoldpompey

Low rate journalism at its best, what a brilliant (and very flattering) article.

There is a valid discussion to be had about the new system and how it impacts upon lower league clubs, but whether you agree with it or not, you have to remember that one of the primary reasons for changing the system was to ensure the best players are given the best facilities and the best chance to make it in the game, especially with a view to improving the national team.

So whilst there is a valid point to be made that it might be detrimental to some smaller clubs, in the grand scheme of things, it is a no brainer that the best players should get the best training and development and facilities, such as ours. And even if they don't make it at the top level as a result, the should in theory still be better players than they would've been had they come through a lesser facility.

There will always be exceptions, there will always be late developers and those who go under the radar, but the new system is clearly designed to benefit ENGLISH football, not just individual clubs. We invested heavily in the Academy, and so we get to reap the rewards of that. If they hadn't f*cked themselves over in the past, they might have had a chance to do the same. C'est la vie.

There is a valid discussion to be had about the new system and how it impacts upon lower league clubs, but whether you agree with it or not, you have to remember that one of the primary reasons for changing the system was to ensure the best players are given the best facilities and the best chance to make it in the game, especially with a view to improving the national team.

So whilst there is a valid point to be made that it might be detrimental to some smaller clubs, in the grand scheme of things, it is a no brainer that the best players should get the best training and development and facilities, such as ours. And even if they don't make it at the top level as a result, the should in theory still be better players than they would've been had they come through a lesser facility.

There will always be exceptions, there will always be late developers and those who go under the radar, but the new system is clearly designed to benefit ENGLISH football, not just individual clubs. We invested heavily in the Academy, and so we get to reap the rewards of that. If they hadn't f*cked themselves over in the past, they might have had a chance to do the same. C'est la vie.

That is exactly the point that they choose to ignore. It's not a fluke that we have a good academy, or that we can lure top talent away from lowly clubs.

I don't agree with the new system where Prem clubs with top level academies can steal the best youngsters, but it was the football league teams that voted to accept this system in return for more cash each year out of the TV deal. You can't take that money and then spend forever after crying about how unfair the system is - unless of course your club voted against. I wonder how the skates voted?

He is a villain now, because the club are desperately trying to flog him, all he wants to do is build a career for himself.

give it a few years down there where they belong and they'll start to realise (or remember) that players naturally go up the pyramid if they have talent and don't hang around the fourth division hoping for cult status.

We invested heavily in the Academy, and so we get to reap the rewards of that. If they hadn't f*cked themselves over in the past, they might have had a chance to do the same. C'est la vie.
Their youth development side of things has always been crap. Well, as far as I go back anyway. Certainly in the mid 80's it wasn't a patch on ours and from Lowe onwards there has been no comparison. Strangely enough their policy back in the late 80s was quantity over quality. The best players were at Southampton and any rejects went down the road. Loads of them.

I know a lot less about their current structure, but the fact we offer first team `Premiership' football pretty much takes all the high ground, leaving the skates with almost nothing to work with.

Part of a post in that article, shows that there are one or two who realise where they have got it very wrong in the past

"Otherwise young local prospects are going to give Pompey the elbow. Just look at the top talent that has come from Saints over the last decade,

Redknapp did nothing in that direction , instead he wasted money getting the club to sign aging players and African players only good enough for the Championship."

Part of a post in that article, shows that there are one or two who realise where they have got it very wrong in the past

"Otherwise young local prospects are going to give Pompey the elbow. Just look at the top talent that has come from Saints over the last decade,

Redknapp did nothing in that direction , instead he wasted money getting the club to sign aging players and African players only good enough for the Championship."

I think that is an undercover Scummah ! :lol:

That is exactly the point that they choose to ignore. It's not a fluke that we have a good academy, or that we can lure top talent away from lowly clubs.

indeed. I don't agree with the system either.... But in 7 years in the prem and some 400mil spend later they invested nothing in developing any infrastructure... They chose another route, so it's not like other lower league clubs that never had the luxury of that choice... Buy wait, I am wrong. All that cash was siphoned off by a succession of dodgy owners...well where are the criminal prosecutions if that was the case?

I want to have sympathy, because clubs DO mean so much to their fans and community, perhaps unhealthily so, but the first step to rebuilding is accepting the truths about what happened and learning from it. If they want ti eventually have a Cat 1, they need to make that a clear strategy and start investing in it, even if it means less on First team and acknowledge it's at least 10-20 years to get there...

Just going to read this now. I'm assuming it'll contain several admissions of how naive, blinkered and deluded the fans have been over the last 5 years....

Trousers, you are week versed in all the ntjobbery... So please help as I have misplaced my criminal charges for serious fraud. You see, correct me if I am wrong, but the opening paragraph of that piece implies all of pompeys woes are a direct result of these swindlers who took the 400mil and lined their pockets, as opposed to it being spend on players and their wages... But I must have missed the news reports where all these dodgy owners have been charged with fraud relating to PFC... Now Antanov seems to be in trouble for some issue with his extensive Snoros overdraft but no other charges have been levied against anyone implicating them in removing cash from PFC coffers where they were not entitled to do so.... So is that part made up, speculation, a lie that if repeated sufficiently becomes a pompeys truth? Please help me out here, as I am struggling to interpret the purse or value of that blog.

I know for a fact that when they were premier league under Arry they tried to poach a nipper from Boscombe's academy and offered his parents a bung to oil the wheels . It was turned down in the end because the kid didn't want to travel and was happy locally. It was a mate of mines kid and I was party to one of the conversations a head skate honcho had with the dad. At the time they were interested in my nipper, so I had a few dealings with the said skate. ( Mrs duck even let him in the house once, which was bordering on divorce behaviour) .so moaning about it now is a bit rich.

Trousers' date=' you are week versed in all the ntjobbery... So please help as I have misplaced my criminal charges for serious fraud. You see, correct me if I am wrong, but the opening paragraph of that piece implies all of pompeys woes are a direct result of these swindlers who took the 400mil and lined their pockets, as opposed to it being spend on players and their wages... But I must have missed the news reports where all these dodgy owners have been charged with fraud relating to PFC... Now Antanov seems to be in trouble for some issue with his extensive Snoros overdraft but no other charges have been levied against anyone implicating them in removing cash from PFC coffers where they were not entitled to do so.... So is that part made up, speculation, a lie that if repeated sufficiently becomes a pompeys truth? Please help me out here, as I am struggling to interpret the purse or value of that blog.[/quote']

It's simple, no criminal charges were ever brought against the people who stole all the money from Pompey, because everyone - fans, police, judges etc etc - are scared what the criminals will do. They are that bad and such a big force in the criminal underworld that no charges can ever be brought against them.

That's clearly the only logical explanation, which I'm sure will be touted out by nobhead neil, quickly followed by 'no, no, we can't possibly have a Luton style points deduction for criminality guv, coz nuffink criminal has ever happened at pompey, innit, mush'.

@PompeyTrust: Relax & enjoy transfer deadline day Pompey fans, safe in the knowledge that your club won't be (over) spending unnecessarily on players. PUP

What, so no cheating their way to an FA Cup final fore the foreseeable future then?

Edited by trousers

@PompeyTrust: Relax & enjoy transfer deadline day Pompey fans, safe in the knowledge that your club won't be (over) spending unnecessarily on players. PUP

What, so no cheating their way to an FA Cup final fore the foreseeable future then?

Oh dear, they haven't got long to sell the hottest prospect since Joan of Arc, Jed Wallace for squillions of pounds.

They won't be happy when he walks in the summer for nothing.

Oh dear, they haven't got long to sell the hottest prospect since Joan of Arc, Jed Wallace for squillions of pounds.

They will get compensation regardless, due to his age and assuming they offer him any sort of contract unless I'm wrong?

Pompey's Accounts up to 30th June, 2013 (After 2 months Trading)

Profit & Loss

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]19 April 2013 to 30 June 2013[/TD]

[TD=align: center]£[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TURNOVER[/TD]

[TD=align: right]370,078[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cost of sales[/TD]

[TD=align: right]169,019[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]GROSS PROFIT[/TD]

[TD=align: right]201,059[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Administrative expenses[/TD]

[TD=align: right]590,043[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]OPERATING LOSS[/TD]

[TD=align: right](388,984)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Interest payable and similar charges[/TD]

[TD=align: right]124,677[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]LOSS ON ORDINARY ACTIVITIES BEFORE TAXATION[/TD]

[TD=align: right](513,661)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tax on loss on ordinary activities[/TD]

[TD=align: center]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]LOSS FOR THE FINANCIAL PERIOD[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Balance Sheet

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]at 30 Jun 13[/TD]

[TD=align: center]£[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]FIXED ASSETS[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]lntangible assets[/TD]

[TD=align: right](238,985)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tangible assets[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3,667,373[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Total Fixed Assets[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3,428,388[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CURRENT ASSETS[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Stocks[/TD]

[TD=align: right]11,049[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Debtors[/TD]

[TD=align: right]11,580,209[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cash at bank and on hand[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2,881,391[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Total Current Assets[/TD]

[TD=align: right]14,472,649[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CREDITORS:Amounts falling due within one year[/TD]

[TD=align: right]10,246,414[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]NET CURRENT ASSETS[/TD]

[TD=align: right]4,226,235[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TOTAL ASSETS LESS CURRENT LIABILITIES[/TD]

[TD=align: right]7,654,623[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CREDITORS: Amounts falling due after more than one year[/TD]

[TD=align: right]4,266,284[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Total Current Assets[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3,388,339[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CAPITAL AND RESERVES[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Called-up equity share capital[/TD]

[TD=align: right]39,020[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Share premium account[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3,862,980[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Profit and loss account[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]SHAREHOLDERS' FUNDS[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3,388,339[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So the question is, when will Pompey be forced to raise yet more equity from the plucky high net-worth (or, currently much lower net worth) investors, sell-up or, more likely, call in the receiver again.

My guess is that as they are probably losing around £250K a month and as it is 6 months since these accounts were compiled, they probably have about one and a half million in shareholders funds left. I'm thus going for administration at the end of the season. Unless anyone is willing to come up with another £3-4 million to gamble on making the dizzy heights of league one by 2015-2016, when they will likely to be only losing slightly less money.

Of course, I could be wrong and they could be currently making a healthy profit on their 15,000 crowds in League 2.

The Posh had an offer in the region of £250,000 for Wallace, who is out of contract in the summer, turned down a week ago.

Since then Darren Ferguson has signed Newport County striker Conor Washington for a fee which, including add-ons, is worth more than £500,000.

They have also yet to revive their interest in Wallace, ahead of the transfer window shutting at 11pm tonight.

And Barker is growing in confidence he will be able to retain the midfielder.

He said: ‘There has been absolutely nothing since the Peterborough conversation and I am hopeful Jed will still be here tomorrow.

‘Have they focused on Washington instead?

‘It seems that way because there has been no conversation about Jed since Washington went there.

Peterborough snubbed superstar in the making Wallace for the boy Washington from Newport, and valued him at twice poor Jeds worth!

@pn_neil_allen: David Connolly has joined Oxford on loan until the end of the season. #Pompey More soon at http://t.co/at3ndfl6hC

tony_the_tiger-lg.jpg

Love it, LOL

They will get compensation regardless, due to his age and assuming they offer him any sort of contract unless I'm wrong?

They'll get some compensation but it won't be much at all. I think I saw on an earlier page here that they pinched him from a local non-league side a couple of years ago, so the amount they'd get from a tribunal will be minimal.

No surprise - overlooked for the job, taken off coaching, playing role reduced.

1 out of 10 for man-management, though time will tell whether it is a masterstroke or another clanger.

He may have fitness issues but Connolly's value to the team has been obvious from day one.

If you are competing at a very high level and you have a squad full of quality you can afford to make a stand and send star strikers to Juventus or Oxford as a punishment - it supports a club's reputation for integrity.

However, if you are fighting for every point to save your job in the dirty basement of League Two and you have no reputation, you don't have such luxuries.

The next task is to write Connolly out of history - never rated him, apart from winning us matches single-handed when surrounded by a team of carthorses, what did the dirty scummah ever do for us?

Connor Bowers ‏@CbowersSfc 3m

Congratulations agent Connolly. Mission successful. #legend #shalala #saintsfc #Pompey #missioncomplete

BfUM_b9IYAAMqZi.jpg

Love the vitriol being spewed at DC by a good number of the usual suspects.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/connolly-joins-oxford-on-loan-1-5847269

Hero to villain in less than half a day.

Bowers, the mission is not complete. Agent Connolly still has the best part of a year and a half on his contract.

I would love to see Connolly return from Oxford the day after the season ends, so he can enjoy his summer paid for by the bank of :mcinnes: & Co.

And then another League 2 season on the books after that, as long as he can play a minor part in 1 in every 10 matches the contract stands firm, as he technically fulfils his promise to terminate his contract if he is unfit for too long!

The bestest villain in world football

Love the vitriol being spewed at DC by a good number of the usual suspects.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/connolly-joins-oxford-on-loan-1-5847269

Hero to villain in less than half a day.

I was most impressed with the revelation that there will be weather tomorrow. "I'm concerned the game will be called off tommorow, weather is shocking and expected to go on tommorow."

Edit: sorry, I should have spelled that "Tommorrow"

I shouldn't. I did promise.

Oh what the hell.

We've had more punters through the doors down here at the Emirates Golf Club today to watch me in my Sash Shirt stand (sorry Oldnick - pose) on every Tee Box with Tiger & Rory than the skates have ST holders. Kinda get the feeling that the TV viewing figures for my gig may be somewhat higher than they have managed of late as well.

as long as he can play a minor part in 1 in every 10 matches the contract stands firm, as he technically fulfils his promise to terminate his contract if he is unfit for too long!

if he is fit, but is not selected, he will still want paying.

I shouldn't. I did promise.

Oh what the hell.

We've had more punters through the doors down here at the Emirates Golf Club today to watch me in my Sash Shirt stand (sorry Oldnick - pose) on every Tee Box with Tiger & Rory than the skates have ST holders. Kinda get the feeling that the TV viewing figures for my gig may be somewhat higher than they have managed of late as well.

Why haven't you ever told us that you're into golf/in Dubai before?

if he is fit, but is not selected, he will still want paying.

IIRC his two year contract was justified by #factless and the gang by stating that he had agreed to terminate his contract should be spend more than 10 games (or 25% of a season) on the injury bench.. with that in mind, he would need to make the odd cameo appearance every ten games or so just to honour his word.

LOL

I'm now expecting them to terminate his contract whilst he's on loan to Oxford as he can't physically play for them...

Oh and re: Conor Washington from Newport signing for Peterborough (gutted), I doubt that would have impacted on Posh's interest in Wallace as they also sold a striker to Newport the same day - the only reason it wasn't a swap deal presumably being that St Ives FC would have been scammed out of their significant sell on clause by doing that, and it appears Newport and Peterborough have more integrity than some clubs we could mention.

Either way, Peterborough have the same number of players as they had before the Washington signing.

Slightly concerned that the Skates have hit form in the past two matches, but a quick look at the Wycombe highlights showed they were pretty spawny.

Apologies for the link to PFC Official youtube, but it what universe is THIS a "showreel" of goalkeeping? Especially after the same keeper dived over the ball on Saturday to cost them 2 points.

The first 2 shots hit the post, 3rd is ok, 4th is actually decent, 5th is hilariously bad defending and a shot straight at him. So 2 useful saves in 90 minutes now gets its own video, wowee!

Bowers, the mission is not complete. Agent Connolly still has the best part of a year and a half on his contract.

I would love to see Connolly return from Oxford the day after the season ends, so he can enjoy his summer paid for by the bank of :mcinnes: & Co.

And then another League 2 season on the books after that, as long as he can play a minor part in 1 in every 10 matches the contract stands firm, as he technically fulfils his promise to terminate his contract if he is unfit for too long!

The bestest villain in world football

This^. Agent Connolly's mission deep under cover has succeeded beyond wildest expectations :D

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})