West Ham game

Edmonton Saint

The one thin I really hope this season is that the fns forget the petty squablles and principles of not going to home games whilst lowe is at SMS and get the fook down to the ground every week and fill the stadium.

We potentially have a the makings of a decent side but they are kids and will need the full unconditional support of the fans.

Lets forget our troubles, turn up every week to watch some slick attacking football and roar these kids to victory.

It was such a great display... Schneiderlin was the best player on the pitch by a mile; he just oozed so much class around the likes of parker and Mullins.

Looking forward to seeing him play every week!

Talking to some WHU fans...they seemed to think we were ''over physical'' too. So either they're your typical ''poncy'' premiership followers, or we have a little more steal in our locker too.

Think it was simply a misperception based on the fact that we were trying a lot harder than them.

was a good game, very impressed with the players and the manager too. lets hope we have something to cheer about this year

Fantastic football - just like watching Arsenal at times.

Worries are just one really Jake Thompson needs another few months in the reserves or on the bench, he was carried most of the game and didn't support our fantastic right back. Perhaps SWP out there wide would be better but not sure of his positional and defensive qualities either?

Great football though and I would recommend anyone to go along against Stoke and have a look.

It's football I would pay to watch.

Personally I like Bart in goal too and was betting on him to stop Bellamy scoring with that one on one.

Thanks for to everyone involved with managing this site too, 8000 members goes to show you are doing a great job and it's well appreciated.

My word, I'm in agreement with many of the posts on here, Saints were absolutely first class.

I could make an excuse that WHU were also exceptionally poor but you'd think they might make that up with their apparent Premiership class - obviously not.

It's been such a long long time since I've seen a Saints team move the ball FORWARD AND WITH PURPOSE! It must have been embarassing for WHU fans as their team appeared to be cut to ribbons almost at will with our incisive passing. WHU looked, at times, to be chasing shadows as Saints moved the ball around them with ease and if our finishing had been just a little bit better, we'd have had a couple more.

It wasn't just the manner of our performance with the passing and movement that I was impressed with, it was also the sheer hunger and determination from the team. Schneiderlin epitomised our performance, really - quality passing, good technical skill and put his foot and head in where it most definitely could hurt.

Lloyd James, for a midfielder cum right back was also impressive, and McGoldrick took his goals exceptionally well. Thomson and Holmes, whilst not in the same class as Spiderman were also good, although we definitely need them to get on the ball more often.

All in all, I was thoroughly delighted with the performance - I was just saying to everyone who didn't go that I wished they did - just so they can see for themselves that we could possibly do something this year...

Very, very, very impressive game of football. Well done Saints! If that sort of quick-flowing passing game doesn't get them back in to the stadium on match days then nothing will.

I think I walked out of the stadium at the end but I can't remember my feet touching the ground. I was on cloud nine! Frickin' well done! We will walk this league!

Ah, some ratings (IMO)

Bialkowski 6, Just misses out on a 7 because of his tendancy to claw instead of catch/parry. Some excellent saves though.

Surman 6, Not one of the most impressive on the night but can "do a job" at LB. Would think he is only keeping Mills out of the side on experience.

James 9, Tough tackling and great going forward. Not bad for a central midfielder! See Jermaine, it can be done...

Svensson 7, OKish, got beaten in the air a couple of times by Carlton Cole and was a little bit shaky but you've got to give it to the guy, he's just spent nearly 4 years out without kicking a football! As long as his knee holds up, we've got a Prem class defender back. Bit unfair making him mark Bellamy though!

Perry 7, Fairly unnoticed but tidied up well alongside Svensson.

Gillett 7, Tigrish and busy, linked well with Schneiderlin and always on hand to help the defence. His delivery at set pieces was poor, but I'm sure it'll come good eventually.

Schneiderlin 10, No joke, this boy is absolute class. Stick him in the Arsenal team and he wouldn't look out of place. Not only has he got the desire and fight, he's got the technical ability as well. We might struggle if he gets injured/suspended as he seems to knit everything together. It's fair to say this lad will be the heartbeat of our team. Was in stitches when Parker AND Mullins just bounced off him in tackles.

Holmes 8, Has the tendancy to overcook his runs a little but from what I've seen this pre-season, this has been his best performance by a mile. Like the rest of the young 'uns, this boy has potential and if this enviroment hopefully he'll realise it. The most potent winger on dispay for both sides.

Thomson 7, Could have potentially been a higher rating if he'd have seen the ball a bit more and got at the left back just a tiny bit more. Still, excellent prospect and linked well with James.

Lallana 8, Quiet in the first half, but once I saw him up close in the 2nd I realised just what a good job he was doing. He, on his day, is going to be another key player for us. Tricky and clever, if he gets a bit more involved from the off, he could turn his potential into the real-deal.

McGoldrick 8, Was delighted to see him score those two goals of the highest quality. And, with that, the confidence seemed to surge back. I think he's getting used to preserving himself for goalscoring opportunities now and not so much running around like a headless chicken as per previous performances. He's a big unit too, don't think they'll be too many defenders enjoying a tussle with him.

I have always believed this was going to work well but i was pretty shocked at just how well we played.

Was so impressed i just put £50 on saints to win the league at 66-1

Yeah we played quite well going forward (better than I expected) but weren't you worried that we could have let in a hatful against a lethargic and off-form team?

£50 to win the league - mental!

Ah, some ratings (IMO)

Bialkowski 6, Just misses out on a 7 because of his tendancy to claw instead of catch/parry. Some excellent saves though.

Surman 6, Not one of the most impressive on the night but can "do a job" at LB. Would think he is only keeping Mills out of the side on experience.

James 9, Tough tackling and great going forward. Not bad for a central midfielder! See Jermaine, it can be done...

Svensson 7, OKish, got beaten in the air a couple of times by Carlton Cole and was a little bit shaky but you've got to give it to the guy, he's just spent nearly 4 years out without kicking a football! As long as his knee holds up, we've got a Prem class defender back. Bit unfair making him mark Bellamy though!

Perry 7, Fairly unnoticed but tidied up well alongside Svensson.

Gillett 7, Tigrish and busy, linked well with Schneiderlin and always on hand to help the defence. His delivery at set pieces was poor, but I'm sure it'll come good eventually.

Schneiderlin 10, No joke, this boy is absolute class. Stick him in the Arsenal team and he wouldn't look out of place. Not only has he got the desire and fight, he's got the technical ability as well. We might struggle if he gets injured/suspended as he seems to knit everything together. It's fair to say this lad will be the heartbeat of our team. Was in stitches when Parker AND Mullins just bounced off him in tackles.

Holmes 8, Has the tendancy to overcook his runs a little but from what I've seen this pre-season, this has been his best performance by a mile. Like the rest of the young 'uns, this boy has potential and if this enviroment hopefully he'll realise it. The most potent winger on dispay for both sides.

Thomson 7, Could have potentially been a higher rating if he'd have seen the ball a bit more and got at the left back just a tiny bit more. Still, excellent prospect and linked well with James.

Lallana 8, Quiet in the first half, but once I saw him up close in the 2nd I realised just what a good job he was doing. He, on his day, is going to be another key player for us. Tricky and clever, if he gets a bit more involved from the off, he could turn his potential into the real-deal.

McGoldrick 8, Was delighted to see him score those two goals of the highest quality. And, with that, the confidence seemed to surge back. I think he's getting used to preserving himself for goalscoring opportunities now and not so much running around like a headless chicken as per previous performances. He's a big unit too, don't think they'll be too many defenders enjoying a tussle with him.

Agree with most of that.

Reason for Jake Thompson not seeing enough of the ball was he is always unsure where he should be - probably a confidence thing, this why I am not sure he is ready quite yet. Also would give Lallana 9.

We are all getting very excited and carried away lol ......

Bart - 7 - Bit shaky, seemed to have some communication probs at times. But made some good saves.

James - 9 - I thought he was great, attacking, defending and getting stuck in all game. Looked class.

Perry - 7 - Okish...not as commanding as he was last season, a little dodgy at times I thought

Killer - 7 - Solid from Killer, always talking to the defence. Understandably a little rusty though...But it's just great to see him there again.

Surman - 8 - I thought he got better as the game went on, loved the way he just charged forward with the ball from left back at times. Reminded me a bit of bridgey...

Thompson - 7 - Started quietly, but good better. Unlucky with the one on one...but he gave us a real threat down the right.

Gillett - 8 - A terrier..in their faces all game, a great crosser of the ball as well and seems to have the ability to pick out a v nice pass..

Spiderman - 10 - I love him already - oozes class. How did we get him here? Some of his cross field passes to Holmes were great... he just worked tirelessly all game.

Holmes - 8 - As some have said, I was a bit sceptical about him from the other games in pre-season, but he stood out for me. Caused them all sorts of problems down the left, and worked well with surman imo...

Lallana - 7 - He was quiet...didn't really see that much of him, popped up with some nice touches every now and then, but didn't really get involved as much as he can.

Mcgoldrick - 8 - Great goals, first one was a peach. Seemed to come alive after that, hopefully he can take that into the new season.

Spot on! A really enjoyable match to watch. We might struggle against teams who are organised at set pieces, but the pace we have, and the attitude to take a quick free kick every time we are fouled in order to keep the ball moving, along with the movement and interchanging we have with the front four will destroy some teams.

It may be that we do better away from home, I cannot see the style changing away, and teams at home are not used to dealing with such movement.

Agree with 10 for Spiderman. A class act, breaking up play, the best passer we have had since MLT, and gets forward into very clever positions. Was the best player on the pitch from both sides by a mile. Great signing.

Best football since the Chris Nicholl side?

Anyone know why DAVIS was not in goal?

Don't know, don't care. Bialkowski played great but lacked communication skills.

Thought yesterday was very promising and at times it looked like we took the piss. :D

Looking forward to the new season, hopefully will be an improvement on last and who knows maybe this is the year.

COYR :)

Sounds promising. Do you reckon this performance will have increased the crowd for the first home game? Have you all told your mates? We may still fall suckers to a simple free kicked lumped into our box, but it would be great to see some good football next visit home.

Sounds promising. Do you reckon this performance will have increased the crowd for the first home game? Have you all told your mates? We may still fall suckers to a simple free kicked lumped into our box, but it would be great to see some good football next visit home.

I would hope so. I hope that all supporters will put aside any "misgivings" and show their support for the players.

Surely, the backing we give them will only encourage them?! Based on the performance on Friday, does that not whet the appetite even more?!

I popped in on a mate on the way home who couldn't make the game and waxed lyrical. He knows I am hopelessly optimistic, but knew from the Claus game and reports of other pre-season games that I speak no lies (may just embellish or exaggerate!) :-)

As I said before...

With Morgan Schneiderlin

The Saints are gonna win

He's got the class to kick your arse

He's Morgan Schneiderlin Ohhhhhhhh....

Schneiderlin Schneiderlin

Morgan Schneiderlin

Oh what fun it is to watch

him help Southampton win, Oh

Schneiderlin Schneiderlin

Morgan Schneiderlin

He comes from France, 'Allo 'Allo

And he'll kick your ****ing head in

Repeat ad infinitum

Still better than Spiderman theme tune IMO - but fear not I'm used to being in the minority :)

I've seen all of Saints pre season games now and its great to see posters getting excited about the new season. I cant remember enjoying a game as much as the West Ham one for a very long time. There were a lot of smiling faces around St Marys!

The new Saints style, their technical ability, pace and enthusiasm bodes well for the new season and we will see some great games at St Mary's. They will surprise a lot of teams. I see more and more posters making comparisons with Arsenal. Spiderman will be in the Premiership within a year, with someone, and a few others show talent and ability beyond CCC.

On the reality check though - we still look vulnerable at the back, set pieces especially will catch us out. There isnt a great deal of height at the back. The other thing that worries me is the first few games - they're all pretty difficult and with a new young side, a few bad results could have a big impact on confidence levels.....on the other hand if they get away to a good start...

Talking to some WHU fans...they seemed to think we were ''over physical'' too. So either they're your typical ''poncy'' premiership followers, or we have a little more steal in our locker too.

Ha ha, very funny, loved the pun - but surely neither Dyer or BWP got on the pitch?

Loved the game and was surprised by the great atmosphere (friendlies are not often like that) and also by the way we played. Was fast, slick and some lovely one or two touch stuff at times.

I think we have a lot of potential quality but like some others on here have a little question mark over how we handle some of the bigger and more physical sides in the CCC. Will be interesting to see.....

Was impressed with all the team and surprised at how well Lloyd James fitted in at right back and Jake Thomson wide.....they've matured since I last saw them play, as have some of the other lads.

Overall came away buzzing. Really enjoyed it, a great night out!

It appears to me that the management have decided that few of the older players can play at the level of the youngsters. To compromise by mixing the team up would lower the work rate, pace and commitment.

We will have to see what happens in a week or two but I suspect that the coaching team don't want the game being slowed down by "senior players".

If someone can't hack the pace it will ruin the whole system. Looks and sounds promising but we shall see .

Originally Posted by derry

It appears to me that the management have decided that few of the older players can play at the level of the youngsters. To compromise by mixing the team up would lower the work rate, pace and commitment.

We will have to see what happens in a week or two but I suspect that the coaching team don't want the game being slowed down by "senior players".

If someone can't hack the pace it will ruin the whole system. Looks and sounds promising but we shall see .

I think physically several of the senior pro's are more than adequate. What I view as a real problem of trying to marry them to this system is more the speed of thought and ability to understand what is required. The other major point is that I don't see any of them with sufficient a passing game to fit well enough. Maybe I am being a bit unfair here, but until I actually see it I will have reservations.

I really enjoyed it and the boys looked a lot physically stronger than the Celtic game. I had real concerns about most CCC teams overpowering us but I think these lads might just be able to handle themselves. Holmes impressed me as he did V Celtic, Morgan S is looking like a terrific bit of business and the biggest surprise was McGoldrick - you've set yourself a benchmark for the season now lad, go and grab the bull by the horns.

Bart was still a bit wobbly and I'd like to see Mills tried at LB V Stoke as I don't think it's Drew's best long-term position although he did well in the circumstances. I think it gave the fans something to build on so close to the start of the season which is vital.

Guest Hacienda
I think physically several of the senior pro's are more than adequate. What I view as a real problem of trying to marry them to this system is more the speed of thought and ability to understand what is required. The other major point is that I don't see any of them with sufficient a passing game to fit well enough. Maybe I am being a bit unfair here, but until I actually see it I will have reservations.

I'd agree with that.

The nippers look fast & clearly understand what's required of them and the senior players don't, to the same degree.

That said we are going to need the old heads at times

FWIW here are my ratings also :

Bart - Good on his line, good distribution but a bit suspect on corners and (perhaps) communication!

James - Very impressed, especially going forward. Still much to learn but very promising!

Surman - Better going forward than at the back, still prefer him in midfield though!

Killer - Just to play 90 mins against a premiership side was awsome, welcome back!

Perry - A good foil for Killer, read the game well and made very few mistakes!

Spiderman - This guy will be a star! Calm, confident, strong and great vision! I'm already wondering when he will be sold and for how much !

Gillet - A dynamo with a great engine. Cross between Bally and Wisey !

Thomson - Theo mark 2, great pace, great potential but still a way to go. Should have buried his one on one!

Holmes - Sweet left foot, passing and crosses were excellent. Just a bit short of pace though, I reckon!

Lallana - Good ball skills and really does get stuck in. I'm sure he will improve quickly with a run in the team!

McGoldrick - Took his goals expertly but I'm still not convinced that he is strong enough!

John - On for 12 minutes and spent most of that time on his @rse looking for fouls! Could learn a lot from the youngsters !!

Poortfliet - Did exactly what he said on the tin ! Played the young lads, fast, pacy, energetic, committed and fresh! The method was very much pass and move and made it a good game to watch !

Conclusion - I don't want to get carried away but this was the best Saints performance that I have seen in ages ! Sure it's gonna be different on a wet Tuesday night in Swansea but there were many positives on Friday and I hope that we can move forward from this point !!

FWIW here are my ratings also :

Bart - Good on his line, good distribution but a bit suspect on corners and (perhaps) communication!

James - Very impressed, especially going forward. Still much to learn but very promising!

Surman - Better going forward than at the back, still prefer him in midfield though!

Killer - Just to play 90 mins against a premiership side was awsome, welcome back!

Perry - A good foil for Killer, read the game well and made very few mistakes!

Spiderman - This guy will be a star! Calm, confident, strong and great vision! I'm already wondering when he will be sold and for how much !

Gillet - A dynamo with a great engine. Cross between Bally and Wisey !

Thomson - Theo mark 2, great pace, great potential but still a way to go. Should have buried his one on one!

Holmes - Sweet left foot, passing and crosses were excellent. Just a bit short of pace though, I reckon!

Lallana - Good ball skills and really does get stuck in. I'm sure he will improve quickly with a run in the team!

McGoldrick - Took his goals expertly but I'm still not convinced that he is strong enough!

John - On for 12 minutes and spent most of that time on his @rse looking for fouls! Could learn a lot from the youngsters !!

Poortfliet - Did exactly what he said on the tin ! Played the young lads, fast, pacy, energetic, committed and fresh! The method was very much pass and move and made it a good game to watch !

Conclusion - I don't want to get carried away but this was the best Saints performance that I have seen in ages ! Sure it's gonna be different on a wet Tuesday night in Swansea but there were many positives on Friday and I hope that we can move forward from this point !!

to be fair he was taken out a treat!

Spot on! A really enjoyable match to watch. We might struggle against teams who are organised at set pieces, but the pace we have, and the attitude to take a quick free kick every time we are fouled in order to keep the ball moving, along with the movement and interchanging we have with the front four will destroy some teams.

It may be that we do better away from home, I cannot see the style changing away, and teams at home are not used to dealing with such movement.

Agree with 10 for Spiderman. A class act, breaking up play, the best passer we have had since MLT, and gets forward into very clever positions. Was the best player on the pitch from both sides by a mile. Great signing.

Best football since the Chris Nicholl side?

Hopefully with Killer in the side for an extended period then we will regain the ability to defend set pieces rather than flap. We need a vocal goalie too. How was Bart compared with KD?

Hopefully with Killer in the side for an extended period then we will regain the ability to defend set pieces rather than flap. We need a vocal goalie too. How was Bart compared with KD?

I don't know about bart against WHU, but i was quite impressed at how much Davis communicated with his defenders at Cheltenham.

West Ham are 5-2 up against Ipswich at Portman Road. With a pretty similar team to the one which played against us.

Green, Neill, Upson, Ferdinand, Widdowsson, Behrami, Parker, Noble, Etherington, Bellamy and Ashton.

edit: missed Etherington.

Edited by Andy_Porter

West Ham are 5-2 up against Ipswich at Portman Road. With a pretty similar team to the one which played against us.

Green, Neill, Upson, Ferdinand, Widdowsson, Behrami, Parker, Noble, Bellamy and Ashton.

That looks a slightly stronger team than the one at SMS, especially at the back. But still....

Green, Neill, Upson, Ferdinand, Widdowsson, Behrami, Parker, Noble, Bellamy and Ashton.

No one to wear good old Bobby Moores no 6 shirt therefore they are only going to play with 10... Andy. Or he is ghosting it..

• 1 year later...
We were brilliant on Friday! Loved it, hadn't seen Saints play like that in a long while! Sneiderlin was my motm by a long way! Great vision and get stuck in! Looking forward to the season ahead!

I agree. He's a top player, come on leaps and bounds.

Yeah we played quite well going forward (better than I expected) but weren't you worried that we could have let in a hatful against a lethargic and off-form team?

£50 to win the league - mental!

Yay, go me!

I am the football genius. :)

This is my last post of the day.

Them c*nts who were in the Itchen were far from promising.

On Friday night was a prime example of why Adult only priced blocks should be in the Northam, the little c*nts that were in there on Friday were an embarrasment.

If them c*nts are season tickets holders in there then I will be retiring to the Kingsland with my blanket after the first game of the season, even the Chapel would be more enjoyable than spending it with them choppers.

P.S - I know about imminent investment in SFC, which involves some local people, Alan Shearer and Dubai, unfortunately I am limited to 3 posts.

See you all tommorow. xx

:supz: