The Official Summer Transfers and HCDAJFU Thread

supersonic

People here setting their sights too low.

Pardew has stated he wants to put together a team this summer that will move up with him through the leagues. Signing a 36 year old Lee Carsley (that hasn't played League football for 5 months) doesn't fit into that.

Exactly. I have no doubt that he could do a job in league one, but we can attract better now.

People here setting their sights too low.

Pardew has stated he wants to put together a team this summer that will move up with him through the leagues. Signing a 36 year old Lee Carsley (that hasn't played League football for 5 months) doesn't fit into that.

how old is Jaidi?

how old is Jaidi?

At the beginning of the season Jaidi was 3 years younger than Carsley is now.

Jaidi also signed for a club on -10 points in League One.

Saints next season are looking to win League One and build the team ready to get promotion from the Championship. Carsley would just be an expensive (in terms of wages) stop gap with no sell on value. They therefore could do a lot better.

Now being RELEASED by West Brom, so a good target.

If this has already been posted then I apologize, however, I have just noticed that the MK Dons midfielder Leven is attracting interest from Brighton and Millwall; I have not seen him play but I would have thought that if Millwall and Poyet of Brighton are interested he may be good for Saints, therefore some of you have seen him play, so my question is could he be a good signing?

Saints next season are looking to win League One and build the team ready to get promotion from the Championship. Carsley would just be an expensive (in terms of wages) stop gap with no sell on value. They therefore could do a lot better.

So what really is the problem buying an unfit injury prone 36 year old

Peter Leven is a f*cking great shout. Very good passer of the ball and strong in the tackle.

Thanks Saint-Clark, from over here it is a bit like trying to contribute via remote control; in terms of posting something constructive that is.

yes, i take your point but if we get shot of the likes of wotton, gillet etc i wouldnt mind seeing him (or a player like him) here.

so we dont need a midfield general then, no? someone who will snipe all game long, break up oppositions play, lead the team?

Yes we do but not a 36 year old Lee Carsley who has been injured and not played in the League this year.

See what happened to Murty

How about starting the promotion team rebuild here:-

PFA League One Team of the Year 2009/10:

Kelvin Davis (Saints), Frazer Richardson (Charlton), Patrick Kisnorbo (Leeds), Gary Doherty (Norwich), Ian Harte (Carlisle), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich), Jason Puncheon (Saints), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds), Nicky Bailey (Charlton), Rickie Lambert (Saints), Grant Holt (Norwich).

If you are building a team/squad for the PL in two years time and what you've got has already proved itself to be good enough for promotion from L1 you're hardly going to be signing 36 year old midfielders, are you? In August last year it would have been at least a thought, because we were desperate. We even wanted Stern John to stay. We have moved on from that.

We are supposed to be building for the future not constructing a mausoleum. I know that 36 seems a young age for most fans but it is pensionable for a footballer. Being 36 AND Lee Carsley is like "Nightmare on Elm Street".

Beam me up Scotty!

He might go to Arsenal instead?

Not a chance TBH. Not the age we are likely to sign players at even if they are/were world class !! Don't think Carsley is quite up to that standard, average player and always has been. In fact probably is now a has been :D

He was quality for Birmingham last season.

How about starting the promotion team rebuild here:-

PFA League One Team of the Year 2009/10:

Kelvin Davis (Saints), Frazer Richardson (Charlton), Patrick Kisnorbo (Leeds), Gary Doherty (Norwich), Ian Harte (Carlisle), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich), Jason Puncheon (Saints), Robert Snodgrass (Leeds), Nicky Bailey (Charlton), Rickie Lambert (Saints), Grant Holt (Norwich).

Doubt we'll sign players from Norwich or Leeds. And if we sign Ian Harte, I will cry.

I'd be happy if we signed Carsley on some sort of rolling contract TBH. He's twice as good as Wotton and as others have said is the sort of player who will roll his sleeves up and get stuck in at **** grounds like Tranmere and Exeter. Those doubting his age should remember what an inspiration the then 39 year old Dean Windass was to Hull two seasons ago. If Pardew is looking out for an experienced holding midfielder then Matty Oakley wouldn't be a bad shout. Was immense for Derby the year they went up and appears to be doing very well in the same role at Leicester. Couldn't see him sticking it out should they succeed in the play offs and go up.

Just ignore JustMike. He's only upset because when Murty is released in summer, he will be older than the entire Saints squad. ;)

ahhh bugger you found me out ;)

in other news...was depressed yesterday whe I discovered I qualify for the "vets" league as of December :-(

Edited by JustMike

good player, but completely the wrong type of midfielder we need.

we have lallana and punch to fill that role, as people have said above we need a commanding CM, a been there done it type figure.

Lee Carsley is a good shout IMO.

This is a definite in my eyes, he would be available on a free, and would enable us to have the solidity in midfield we hav lacked at times, and enable us to use our transfer budget on other areas of the team/ squad, i.e. a right back another centre back IMHO and another central midfielder to give us more options/ the ability to rotate our midfield at times.

The players that I've seen linked recently are:

Adomah - Barnet, speedy winger out of contract

Dickson - Fast left back at Brentford, watched regularly by bigger clubs. Not if we need him with Harding around but maybe Dickson could go LM

Mullins - Mail and Sun yesterday although £1m is either skates or his agent talking. Nominal + wage cut is more like it

Armfield - young midfielder at Falkirk

Players I'd like to see us linked with:

Le Fondre - Rotherham

Leven - MK Dons, would give Hammond competition. Good shout those posters who suggested it.

Any decent right-back because Semi just isn't up to it.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_6124488,00.html

Brighton & Hove Albion have confirmed defender Adam Virgo will not be offered a new contract at the end of the season.

wouldn't be surprised to see him at Saints next season

Why, not deemed good enough for B & HA, but you think he's good enough for us, not only next season, but potentially the season after in the CCC.

Why, not deemed good enough for B & HA, but you think he's good enough for us, not only next season, but potentially the season after in the CCC.

because he was a target in january, with the wilkins connections.

personally, i think we need to look at top half championship teams. some players i have come up with are:

Liam Rosenior- Ipswich (on loan from reading). good proven championship right back, spent a season at torquey so knows a bit about lower leagues.

Bradley Orr- Bristol City. played his carrer at championship level, maybe not wanting to drop down a level though

Angel Rangel- Swansey. spanish right back in a team who has not conceded many goals this season. A tall player at 6"2, but again may not want to drop down from a team who was knocking on the championship play-offs this season.