Could it work?

Matthew Le God

Unsubstantiated rumours from people on this and other sites claim without evidence that to celebrate the 125th anniversary there "may" be £125 season tickets.

I think it is very unlikely that this is true.

However...

Could it work?

- It is a great way to celebrate and all fans would be pleased with much lower prices even if for one season.

- Potentially it would massively increase the uptake of season tickets next season.

- 09/10 season ticket level were around the 13.5k mark.

- With a £125 season ticket the club may be able to sell over 20k. In a best case scenario 29,000 (given some need to be left to away fans).

Of course such a massive drop in prices may impact on revenue streams. But if this policy bring gates up much closer to capacity it would reduce loses and increases matchday sales of programs, food and drink.

It would also provide the team with larger crowds cheering them on in an important season and may benefit in that sense. Importantly it brings new season ticket holders to the club who may continue with their tickets when prices return to normal in 2011/12.

Of course as I previously stated this is probably very unlikely to happen as it would be a huge financial risk but also a very nice gesture from Markus if he did underwrite it. A full St Mary's for a promotion campaign would be a great sight to mark 125 years.

I think it's highly unlikely.

Let's face it, at least half of last season's season ticket holders would probably buy a season ticket regardless of the price (within reason), so that's 7000 x £200 (give or take) the club are effectively giving away - that's £1.4m. Even in the privileged position we find ourselves in, they are still running the club on a sound financial basis, so I can't envisage that it's an option they've genuinely considered.

If we're top of the table I would imagine we'd be getting at least 25k most games anyway. A winning team = a team the more casual fan wants to go and watch on a more regular basis.

Unsubstantiated rumours from people on this and other sites claim without evidence that to celebrate the 125th anniversary there "may" be £125 season tickets.

However...

Could it work?

- It is a great way to celebrate and all fans would be pleased with much lower prices even if for one season.

- Potentially it would massively increase the uptake of season tickets next season.

- With a £125 season ticket the club may be able to sell over 20k. In a best case scenario 29,000 (given some need to be left to away fans).

Of course such a massive drop in prices may impact on revenue streams. But if this policy bring gates up much closer to capacity it would reduce loses and increases matchday sales of programs, food and drink.

It would also provide the team with larger crowds cheering them on in an important season and may benefit in that sense. Importantly it brings new season ticket holders to the club who may continue with their tickets when prices return to normal in 2011/12.

Of course as I previously stated this is probably very unlikely to happen as it would be a huge financial risk but also a very nice gesture from Markus if he did underwrite it. A full St Mary's for a promotion campaign would be a great sight to mark 125 years.

pmsl

yes & next week is tescos 130th year & they going to start selling a years shopping for £130 too

Oh do behave!

IF they did this..I would imagine it may have a caveat with it that only those who have had season tickets for the last 5 years or something

would be a gerat gesture if they did this for 2 weeks or something

then they wouldnt sell out the stadium and defeat the point?

This is so embaressing that fans believe this rumour.

The club will Market the season tickets with two high profile signings wearing the home and away kit.

Yes and the ticket office will be cursing, weeks of sat on their arse and then chaos :-)

I knew that already, I'd say you were nearing your 80's

I curse you and every bet you have for the next sixteen billion trillion years- though they'd be losers regardless.

Edit And I do so on behalf of Toadhall Saint as well !

Huddersfield did it the season before last - their season tickets were £100 for their centenary and it resulted on increased sales the next year too, as people got back in the habit of going to the match every other week.

So it's not as far fetched an idea as it might first seem.

Huddersfield did it the season before last - their season tickets were £100 for their centenary and it resulted on increased sales the next year too, as people got back in the habit of going to the match every other week.

Bradford also did some mad offer a few years back and experienced similar results.

Norwich are the prime examples tho', the year they were relegated from the Prem with us they dropped their ST prices dramatically and had a huge take-up, done very good 'Early Bird' renewals ever since and kept an excellent fanbase. Saints on the other hand continued to charge the same ST prices as they had in the Premiership.

IF they offered a crazy one-off low price tied in with the 125yr celebrations then I would offer it to everyone but the deal is you also commit to one the following season back at a more usual price. A price could be fixed and this could be paid off over the year in an installment plan to make it affordable. There's a very good chance we'll be in the CCC then so renewals would likely be very high anyway.

I would buy a season ticket if they were £125. I can't go to enough games to warrant paying full price, but at £125 I'd only need to attend 5 matches to break even, and I did nearly three times as many last season.

I would buy a season ticket if they were £125. I can't go to enough games to warrant paying full price, but at £125 I'd only need to attend 5 matches to break even, and I did nearly three times as many last season.

Has anyone ever told you, you have a great arse. x

oh ok, i suppose i could stretch to that, £125 is a bit steep if you ask me

This is yet another reason why it wouldn't be worth doing - even if it wasn't just a joke rumour made up by someone on here. The only reason for doing cheap tickets in the club's eyes would be to get bums on seats to cheer the team to promotion but this would result in sold out matches with only half the ground full because it's more "economical" for people to buy a cheap ST and not bother coming to lots of games.

They wouldn't be able to sell 29,000 season tickets anyway, as the OP suggests, as don't they have to have a certain amount of tickets kept for fans buying for individual games? Otherwise teams like Man Utd etc. would just sell 70,000 season tickets no problem, but they always have tickets left over for fans buying on the day or in advance for a certain match

Nice rumour. It would be a great gesture from Markus Liebherr. If any club could afford it, Saints could, and it wouldn't necessarily backfire either, as it would inject new lifeblood into season ticket sales. When the ST price reverts to something more realistic, the following season, I'd expect lots of the newer ST holders would carry on too.

However, despite the outlay, so far made by Markus, barely even scratching the surface of his personal wealth, great gesture or not, it is probably not the way to carry on. He's ultimately at St Marys to have a wonderful time, and make a bit of money into the bargain, long term.

Wouldn't it be more likely they would charge £125 for a half season ticket or a special 'one-match-a-month' season ticket, which as it says gives you the chance to attend one match every month. In practice this would buy you attendance at 10 league matches across the whole season at £12.50 a match.

Or as someone else posted, they might do a scheme aimed at providing cheaper season tickets for young people.

Alternatively, they could do a scheme where for £125 you get a Saints shirt and attendance at five matches of your choice.

There's all sorts of things they could do which are probably way more likely than a £125 season ticket.

Oh good god, I said that as a joke! Seriously some people on here really need to get out more and start learning to see the difference between reality and the Internet.

I only hear what I want to hear. Someone told me that Megan Fox wanted secksy time with me too - I'm still hoping.

Actually I don't think season tickets which are too cheap are a good idea. Because they will be snapped up by a fair few people who won't be attending every game - which means that seats in the best positions will be denied others. The stadium would not be as full as attendance figure claim, and could suffer a lower key atmosphere.

Actually I don't think season tickets which are too cheap are a good idea. Because they will be snapped up by a fair few people who won't be attending every game - which means that seats in the best positions will be denied others. The stadium would not be as full as attendance figure claim, and could suffer a lower key atmosphere.

Agreed. Unless the £125 is restricted to previous season ticket holders, loads of people will buy them at that price. I go to about 6-10 home games a year. At £125 it would make financial sense to buy a season ticket, but leave my seat empty for half the games. People like me should be banned from getting £125 season tickets IMO.

However...

Could it work?

We dont need the money (clearly evidenced by the dropping of shirt sponsors).

We would certainly increase the average gate, although I suspect some would take the deal and not attend every game.

The owners and NC would certainly secure the loyalty and support of the fan base (not that they need to) for another season. The Echo would certainly need to change its tune as a result.

Sounds a great idea!

What would happen is those who want to go to a handful of games in the season would get one and there would be none left for general sale. Then these people wouldnt go to most games and there will be empty seats all over the place.

This will be the first time I've been in the same country as Saints at the start of the season since 2006, so will be getting my first ever ST when they are released. Pretty sure this initiative wont happen, it's financial dynamite.