Reserves Pulled Out of Combination League.

miserableoldgit

Radio Solent reporting this morning that Saints Reserve team is to be pulled out of their Combination division and will instead play freindlies at home and abroad, and in doing so will strenthen realtions with teams in Europe. Interesting!

I haven't been a huge fan of Cortese lately, but I have to say, if true, this is a top draw decision IMO. Players and fans might more enthused, and certainly more should be learned. The organisation of reserve team football in our professional leages is downright pathetic. Chelsea "reserves" for example are multi-million pound players who play pointless lacklustre games at places like Aldershot Rec.

I haven't been a huge fan of Cortese lately, but I have to say, if true, this is a top draw decision IMO. Players and fans might more enthused, and certainly more should be learned. The organisation of reserve team football in our professional leages is downright pathetic. Chelsea "reserves" for example are multi-million pound players who play pointless lacklustre games at places like Aldershot Rec.

Whats he dont to upset you then?

Whats he dont to upset you then?

I think he's been childish and arrogant over his relations with the Echo and dissing of other people expressing their views. However I don't then try to interpret everything else he does in the same way. So I'll give him credit if he does something good, and the appointment of a talent identification head honcho, and the reserve team games ideas are IMO both very good moves.

Radio Solent reporting this morning that Saints Reserve team is to be pulled out of their Combination division and will instead play freindlies at home and abroad, and in doing so will strenthen realtions with teams in Europe. Interesting!

Excellent news.

I am going to give the first team a miss this year and follow the reserves across the continent.

Seems a very sensible decision.

Given that a lot of sides in the lower leagues struggle to find enough players to fill the first team subs bench, it stands to reason that games against their "reserve" teams aren't going to provide any benefit to us other than perhaps injury recuperation.

I thought the PL sides were playing each other and it's only those clubs in the FL that have the reserve leagues localised.

Besides, we don't know if this is NCs great idea or that of the development team (Reed et al) rubber stamped by NC.

I thought the PL sides were playing each other and it's only those clubs in the FL that have the reserve leagues localised.

Besides, we don't know if this is NCs great idea or that of the development team (Reed et al) rubber stamped by NC.

TBF the club haven`t confirmed or commented on this yet, but Solent sounded pretty confident that it was going to happen.

Not really surprised, what benefit is there for players playing against the likes of Forrest Green Rovers Reserves?

Arranging friendly games against Premier League clubs or foreign teams will be of more use to the development of the younger players.

If you think about it in reverse Forest Green's reserves probably play against better players than their first team do bizzare:p

I'm still peed off about us getting booted from the Premier League reserve league when the first team got relegated - we were one of the best sides in that with all the academy players getting useful run outs against decent opponents every match.

Not really surprised, what benefit is there for players playing against the likes of Forrest Green Rovers Reserves?

Arranging friendly games against Premier League clubs or foreign teams will be of more use to the development of the younger players.

Tend to agree with this. Can't for the life of me imagine why Germany did this:

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12023_6174582,00.html

prior to the WC, don't understand the benefit of it at all...??!!!

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12023_6174582,00.html

Noted the headline :

"Germany enjoy warm-up romp".

If you saw the same headline about England you would expect it to involve something more sordid.

I'm still peed off about us getting booted from the Premier League reserve league when the first team got relegated - we were one of the best sides in that with all the academy players getting useful run outs against decent opponents every match.

Quite right. We should have stayed there on merit and to relegate us from it just because we were relegated was a farcical situation.

These two initiatives, the appointment of David Burke from Manchester City's scouting organisation and the opportunity of our reserves to play matches arranged to suit us at home and abroad, is a clear statement of intent of the club's ambitions.

I think that we are in for an exciting summer with some more good news to come if we are able to sign players of the calibre of those touted on here, but the infrastructure of the actual club, with improvements to the training ground, catering and hospitality and now further tweaking of the backroom staff is symptomatic of Cortese putting into place pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. When that is complete, we ought to have everything in place to get to the Premiership and to stay there.

Quite right. We should have stayed there on merit and to relegate us from it just because we were relegated was a farcical situation.

These two initiatives, the appointment of David Burke from Manchester City's scouting organisation and the opportunity of our reserves to play matches arranged to suit us at home and abroad, is a clear statement of intent of the club's ambitions.

I think that we are in for an exciting summer with some more good news to come if we are able to sign players of the calibre of those touted on here, but the infrastructure of the actual club, with improvements to the training ground, catering and hospitality and now further tweaking of the backroom staff is symptomatic of Cortese putting into place pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. When that is complete, we ought to have everything in place to get to the Premiership and to stay there.

And to get into real Euro competitions too, seeing as most of the PL will be ineligible by the time we get back there...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1282136/Manchester-City-United-Chelsea-Liverpool-maybe-Europe-Real-Madrid-Just-UEFAs-new-finance-rules-mean.html

Expect a Saints reserve team on your easyjet flight (or probably Flybe from Southampton I suppose) soon. It could be a reasonably cheap way of travelling, interesting for the players for the different environments and playing styles, and broaden their horizons a bit.

No doubt some of us far-flung types would take the chance to go and watch and confirm that Saints fans are everywhere!

Oh yes, and if we have home matches have them at SMS and don't do them behind closed doors. Continentals are well-impressed with the crowds we get in the third division (eg: here in Italy or look at Morgan's Facebook page) so why not impress them with our reserve team attendances. You never know, it might persuade a future young star to sign for us.

Expect a Saints reserve team on your easyjet flight (or probably Flybe from Southampton I suppose) soon. It could be a reasonably cheap way of travelling, interesting for the players for the different environments and playing styles, and broaden their horizons a bit.

No doubt some of us far-flung types would take the chance to go and watch and confirm that Saints fans are everywhere!

Oh yes, and if we have home matches have them at SMS and don't do them behind closed doors. Continentals are well-impressed with the crowds we get in the third division (eg: here in Italy or look at Morgan's Facebook page) so why not impress them with our reserve team attendances. You never know, it might persuade a future young star to sign for us.

A great idea. I remember there was a free to enter friendly vs West Ham back in April 2002 around Easter time, there must have been a crowd of a few thousand there for it, had a great time. (We lost 3-0 from what I remember, but nontheless it was a good way to spend the evening. Bairdy played.)

Even if it's only a few hundred paying 3 pounds or so to get in it would make for great experience for the lads, and if it's against someone actually rather good (Barca or AC Milan Reserves) then we could no doubt get a decent crowd for it.

Seems a very sensible decision.

Given that a lot of sides in the lower leagues struggle to find enough players to fill the first team subs bench, it stands to reason that games against their "reserve" teams aren't going to provide any benefit to us other than perhaps injury recuperation.

Agreed. It also demonstrates ambition yet again. It's a statement that basically says we are not a combination league club.

I hope our reserves are playing CCC and Premier League Reserve sides for experience.

I can only assume that SFC can generate sufficent quality friendly matches to bring on the talent within the academy. This is a brave move but one I support provided it can deliver better football for our up and coming and fringe players (or those returning from injury). I cannot imagine that this was entered in to lightly and the pros and cons will have been fully discussed. I would suspect that some of the Chamionship and even Prem clubs would relish the chance of having a run out against us given the good name the SFC academy has for generating high quality players. It actually also provides the coaching staff the oppoirutnity to experiment and put more players on and off during match since they will not be tied to league match substitute rules.

I can only assume that SFC can generate sufficent quality friendly matches to bring on the talent within the academy. This is a brave move but one I support provided it can deliver better football for our up and coming and fringe players (or those returning from injury). I cannot imagine that this was entered in to lightly and the pros and cons will have been fully discussed. I would suspect that some of the Chamionship and even Prem clubs would relish the chance of having a run out against us given the good name the SFC academy has for generating high quality players. It actually also provides the coaching staff the oppoirutnity to experiment and put more players on and off during match since they will not be tied to league match substitute rules.

A very good point.

It actually also provides the coaching staff the oppoirutnity to experiment and put more players on and off during match since they will not be tied to league match substitute rules.

We might even get Pulis on the pitch for ten minutes at the end of a game ;-)

Think England did something similar prior to Euro 88. Beardsley scored 4.

Didn't do us much good. We lost every game.

There's no i in team.

No, but "team" is an anagram of "meat", as in "meat pie" and of course "pi" and the other prominent transcendental "e" both feature in the famous equation "e^(pi*i) = -1", which relates unity on the real number line to - you guessed it: i!

No, but "team" is an anagram of "meat", as in "meat pie" and of course "pi" and the other prominent transcendental "e" both feature in the famous equation "e^(pi*i) = -1", which relates unity on the real number line to - you guessed it: i!

Yes, 'i' as in -

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!VOTE FOR RICKIE!!!!!!!!!!

Has to be the best way forward, as the quality of the opposition does not seem to be too much of a challenge, and looking at the results it seems the team approached the games last season with a laissez faire attitude. Getting better games especially overseas might inspire better performances that can be carried forwards into the first team.

this sounds like a great idea. Used to go to the odd ressie game but stopped when we got kciked out the Prem res game as didn't really wish to see Aldershot let alone their reserve teams!

How they pull this one off and may start going down to Staplewood again to watch games.