2018 & 2022 World Cups

Hatch

Couldn't we do a football version of the Tri-nations, like Europe vs Americas. Maybe include African nations and Autralia/New Z

I think they should just keep football to the western world, sod Asia and the middle east

Or just a European nations cup. The 40 odd countries is a much better number for tournament and because were all fairly close neighbours they'd be lots of good intense rivalry matches (England/Scotland, Portugal/Spain, Germany/Poland etc ). Wherever it was held it be close enough to fly to for a few days.

England lost because the team didn't understand the role they had to play in making the FIFA exec think:

what's in it for FIFA,

what's in it for my region and

what's in it for me (not necessarily personal gain but a legacy in name).

Perhaps if the England bid team got hold of Mike Lee, the outcome would have been different??

Still doesn't change the fact most of the FIFA suits are corrupt ****s.

Or just a European nations cup. The 40 odd countries is a much better number for tournament and because were all fairly close neighbours they'd be lots of good intense rivalry matches (England/Scotland, Portugal/Spain, Germany/Poland etc ). Wherever it was held it be close enough to fly to for a few days.

Agree.. Sod the world cup.. The euros is a far better an usually harder competition anyway

Don't we already have that every other 4 years though???

England lost because the team didn't understand the role they had to play in making the FIFA exec think:

what's in it for FIFA,

what's in it for my region and

what's in it for me (not necessarily personal gain but a legacy in name).

Perhaps if the England bid team got hold of Mike Lee, the outcome would have been different??

Still doesn't change the fact most of the FIFA suits are corrupt ****s.

Would he have won with ENgland though if he didn't have the cash at his disposal (if you see what I mean)?

Agree.. Sod the world cup.. The euros is a far better an usually harder competition anyway

And the Euros are being made bigger, with 24 teams in the finals.

If I was in charge of the FA, I would treat future World Cups as nothing more than friendly matches to prepare for the more important UEFA European Championships. Never again should we have to cap in hand to arseholes like Blatter and Jack Warner(responsible for the Concacaf block vote, 3 votes out of 22 to someone from the footballing hotspot of Trinadad!). Try and get the Spanish, Portugese and Dutch on board as well.

F*ck the World Cup.

I could live with Russia getting 2018 - although Blatter is a brainless moron for not seeing how Euro 2012 goes first as a test run in neighbouring Ukraine and Poland. Qatar in 2022 has to be pure corruption though. None of the major nations are going to want to play in Qatar in June and I can see it being a Qatar vs North Korea final or something which would serve FIFA right. UEFA could clean up here and invite Argentina, Brazil, Colombia and Uruguay into the Euros, plus Aus/NZ and S Korea/Japan/China. FIFA would struggle to enforce any sanctions if that happened - although they'd try through the courts.

2010 in South Africa was great for Africa and the right thing to do but Qatar? At least Russia have some football heritage. All the other nations, including Japan in relation to 2022, are so fed up with Blatter and FIFA that after 2014 in Brazil I can see the WC being finished as a major tournament.

I can often be found banging my head against a brick wall pre-tournament when our journo's decide the best way "aid" our tournament is to destabilise our players at the most inappropriate times but this is so much different.

If only the biggest nations in the world, the ones who hold the biggest attraction globally and financially could say "enough's enough" and refuse to participate in the next World Cup. Better still, get the sponsors that line the pockets of such people to do the same.

FIFA could continue with England - but without Spain, Portugal, Germany and others? It'll have the old fuddy-duddies quaking soon enough. They'd likely hand out tournament bans in response (which would be ineffective anyway as we'd have refused to have participated already) and issue some strongly worded statement about tarnishing football (ha - a fine one to talk)... but if after 1, 2 maybe 3 months it went unresolved then they'd start getting worried.

The people with power in respective nations should really, really force the issue - it can be done, we just have to really mean it and be resolute and steadfast in our stance.

I doubt it'll ever happen but I cannot bear the thought of having to schmooze and give up ones dignity just so these odious men can line their pockets and maintain their power.

The more you read about the Qatar thing the more nuts it sounds, 50 degree heat, can't drink in public - that's gonna be a right laff.

One of the venues, Ash Shamal with a population 5,400 is getting a stadium with a capacity of 45,330!

Qatar is the most environmentally unfriendly country on the planet with CO2 emissions per head more than 3 x worse than the next worse - and FIFA plan to build twelve 40,000 seater air conditioned stadiums!

Crazy

Even more surprising is that I agree with this article from, of all people, Martin Samuel. Yes, it's The Mail but it's the most complete assessment I've seen of everything so far...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1335212/Martin-Samuel-FIFA-rotten-core-England-better-it.html

Brilliant article tbf. Just a shame that it sounds like sour grapes from all of us when really that is not the case at all. I wish we had the balls to walk away from it all I really do.

I've no problem with Russia getting the world cup, when it's Europe's turn it's not fair just to share it around the Countries of Western Europe.

For all the Journo's banging on about how the FA should withdraw from FIFA ect, our game is hardly whiter than white, look at the blind ey the PL turned to what's going on at the fishy end of the M27 ..

The more you read about the Qatar thing the more nuts it sounds, 50 degree heat, can't drink in public - that's gonna be a right laff.

One of the venues, Ash Shamal with a population 5,400 is getting a stadium with a capacity of 45,330!

Qatar is the most environmentally unfriendly country on the planet with CO2 emissions per head more than 3 x worse than the next worse - and FIFA plan to build twelve 40,000 seater air conditioned stadiums!

Crazy

Well no one will sell alcohol in Qatar and anyone trying to bring it in will have it confiscated I suspect. For one thing I wouldn't mind betting we'll see very little crowd trouble over there.

As for Russia getting 2018, the presence of Abramovich says it all quite frankly. Considering you can't even give your passport to a copper in Moscow without having to bribe them to get it back, you don't need a weatherman to tell you when it's hammering down with rain.

So now it could be held n January.

http://supersport.com/football/fifa-internationals/news/101204/Qatar_World_Cup_could_be_held_in_January

Which will obviously cause no end of problems and a load of other headaches which could so easily have been solved by erm holding it in Australia!

Looks like FIFA are back pedalling on the decision already, or at least Beckenbauer is trying to distance himself from it.

Well no one will sell alcohol in Qatar and anyone trying to bring it in will have it confiscated I suspect. For one thing I wouldn't mind betting we'll see very little crowd trouble over there.

Not sure thats accurate. I think they have a hotel based system - ie you can drink in sterile international hotels but there are hardly any atmospheric bars.

Not sure thats accurate. I think they have a hotel based system - ie you can drink in sterile international hotels but there are hardly any atmospheric bars.

Yep thats the way it is in Qatar. Non nationals can also purchase alcohol with a permit. To get a permit you have to hand over loads of cash, and have your company sign to give permission.

So now it could be held n January.

http://supersport.com/football/fifa-internationals/news/101204/Qatar_World_Cup_could_be_held_in_January

Which will obviously cause no end of problems and a load of other headaches which could so easily have been solved by erm holding it in Australia!

You can imagine that all of the top leagues will be happy to suspend play for two months and let all of their players go to Qatar in January, and then reschedule the league to finish in late June/early July, and then go straight into pre-season for the next season. absolutely mental.

If you're a football fan going to Qatar for the World Cup for four weeks what exactly is there to do between games? From their website it appears to be just a bunch of expensive hotels and shopping centres in a desert. You can't even sit on the beach with a beer FFS.

I suppose you could pop into Saudi Arabia for some duty free, or nip over to Iraq for some sight seeing. You could charter a Yacht, might be fun playing cat n mouse with the local pirates or Iranian navy.

There is probably only a handful of countries on the planet less suited to host a major football tournament.

You can imagine that all of the top leagues will be happy to suspend play for two months and let all of their players go to Qatar in January, and then reschedule the league to finish in late June/early July, and then go straight into pre-season for the next season. absolutely mental.

I can certainly imagine the response at the FA when this little request comes through from FIFA.

If you're a football fan going to Qatar for the World Cup for four weeks what exactly is there to do between games? From their website it appears to be just a bunch of expensive hotels and shopping centres in a desert. You can't even sit on the beach with a beer FFS.

I suppose you could pop into Saudi Arabia for some duty free, or nip over to Iraq for some sight seeing. You could charter a Yacht, might be fun playing cat n mouse with the local pirates or Iranian navy.

There is probably only a handful of countries on the planet less suited to host a major football tournament.

Qatar is apparently the only applicant ever to have essentially failed in all aspects of its technical review. Yet it wins - and there seems a broad consensus that it won overwhelmingly through widespread corruption. But the technical and climatic hurdles seem so enormous that 2022 could not possibly be staged in Qatar, even allowing for 12 years of technological advances.

Qatar just won't happen. Which may mean only that the the grubby low-lifes on 'ExCo' have given themselves yet ANOTHER payday, by accepting 'offers' in the coming years for countries vying to be the replacement. This, I would think, is the real reason for the otherwise weird decision on Qatar.

If they are found to have been involved in widespread scandal and i really believe that they will be if a full and independant investigation is brought against them that IMO will only be possible if each and every country (or atleast the wide majority) gets involved and attempts to drive out the rotten core that is FIFA currently.

But if they are found to be involved in such scandal i would like to see ourselves and all the major countries that have been wronged by them, and in that i mean holland/belgium, spain/portugal and every other nation involved in the 2022 bid refuse to take part in any FIFA organised tournaments until the old boys club is disbanded and the organisation is headed up by people that have football at heart and with greater transparency.

If they are not all fat cats and out to make quick bucks and backhanders than how can anyone explain the fact that the whole choice of WC hosts was made predominantly by woeing the 22 ExCo representatives into voting for your nation ??

Doha in Qatar has been described as the 'most boring place on earth' by Lonely Planet ...I could literally take a dump on the main street and it would be an improvement, USA or Oz should of won that bid ....(and I cant believe Australia managed to WORSE than us with 1 vote) what a scam

But if they are found to be involved in such scandal i would like to see ourselves and all the major countries that have been wronged by them, and in that i mean holland/belgium, spain/portugal and every other nation involved in the 2022 bid refuse to take part in any FIFA organised tournaments until the old boys club is disbanded and the organisation is headed up by people that have football at heart and with greater transparency.

You forget that Spain/Portugal were heavily involved in Qatar getting the 2022 tournament. What they didn't reckon on was Russia being better, quicker and more covert at getting vote promises for 2018.

You forget that Spain/Portugal were heavily involved in Qatar getting the 2022 tournament. What they didn't reckon on was Russia being better, quicker and more covert at getting vote promises for 2018.

To me it just stinks, the whole process is just so rotten to the core and is obvious its only inspiration is to make sure the ExCo members are treated like gods.

This is exactly why Panorama, The Sunday Times. The Observer, Channel 4 News and others were right to report on FIFA's hopeless corruption: the sight of Sepp Blatter obnoxiously gloating over the English 'bad losers' would have been SO much worse had they all waited until after the (inevitable) result.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/8189550/World-Cup-2018-Fifa-president-Sepp-Blatter-says-England-are-bad-losers.html

This is exactly why Panorama, The Sunday Times. The Observer, Channel 4 News and others were right to report on FIFA's hopeless corruption: the sight of Sepp Blatter obnoxiously gloating over the English 'bad losers' would have been SO much worse had they all waited until after the (inevitable) result.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/8189550/World-Cup-2018-Fifa-president-Sepp-Blatter-says-England-are-bad-losers.html

TBF we are coming across as a bunch of whinging losers.

TBF we are coming across as a bunch of whinging losers.

It's difficult to have much sympathy with the likes of Anson who put his name to the letter to the ExCo members after the Panorama broadcast when they cry foul after the event when the rest of us knew exactly what was going to happen and what has been going on for years.

Proper investigative journalism, such as that used by Andrew Jennings in the Panorama programme, is a dying art around the world for fear of offending people. Without that fear, a chance to expose the likes of Jack Warner still exists, so fair play to Jennings for his determination and persistence. I am quite surprised he's the only journalist banned from FIFA HQ though :lol:

• 1 month later...