Dean Richards R.I.P

Edmonton Saint

Met him in 2000. Top bloke.

meanddean.jpg

Ayia Napa, June 2000????

Spent a bit of time with all the Saints lads out there that summer (Beattie, Hassan, Davies, Monk etc) and Richards was always the life and soul of the party.

He was the surrogate dad of that group of players at that time and well respected. Top bloke.

Marked by a chorus of "There's only one Dean Richards" from the back of 42 today. I guess most in the ground hadn't heard. Hope we'll mark it with a minute's applause against Yeovil.

He was a giant for us, exuded calm confidence, and I was gutted to see him go to Spurs. Sadly we had his best years probably.

For those who didn't see him play he was similar to Fonte, completely in command and could play a bit if he needed to. Scored some bullet headers in his time, he was immense in the air.

Marked by a chorus of "There's only one Dean Richards" from the back of 42 today. I guess most in the ground hadn't heard. Hope we'll mark it with a minute's applause against Yeovil.

He was a giant for us, exuded calm confidence, and I was gutted to see him go to Spurs. Sadly we had his best years probably.

For those who didn't see him play he was similar to Fonte, completely in command and could play a bit if he needed to. Scored some bullet headers in his time, he was immense in the air.

I heard the chant but had no idea why it was being sung. Tragic news - so sad. RIP Deano.

Ayia Napa, June 2000????

Spent a bit of time with all the Saints lads out there that summer (Beattie, Hassan, Davies, Monk etc) and Richards was always the life and soul of the party.

He was the surrogate dad of that group of players at that time and well respected. Top bloke.

Spot on!! In that pic, Monk is to the left and Hassan is just left and above of Deano's shoulder. They were all OK but I felt JBT was a bit arogant, and Kevin Davies is perhaps not 100% hetrosexual.

I can remember being sat in with the Astoon Villa fans at Villa Park when Deano scored in the 89th minute. Had to bite my tongue and it was all I could do not to run down onto the pitch and plant a kiss on his big shiny forehead.

Tragic, tragic news. RIP Big fella.

And lads and lasses, please live today like it's your last, because sadly for someone it will be.