Claus Lundekvam admits betting scam..

ToreSF

Claus and the rest of the knobs are long gone. They were yesterdays men and it is pathetic that he has to bring this up now just for cash from a local rag. I felt sorry for him due to his problems after he retired, but not so much now.He has let himself and the club down especially as they asked him to represent them at Garry Speed's Tribute.

Am I the only one who really doesn't care much for the article? It's wrong what they did but not awful. Besides Claus, after his problems is probably clearing his conscience.

never underestimate the Sun, they are capable of wars of attrition until heads roll.If they get a juicy tidbit and they feel that they can exploit it then they will. Ask Lady Di and Linford Christie. Not that it's the same thing but L'Equipe will bring down Lance Armstrong all by themselves. They thought they had evidence against him dating back to 1998 or something and they've never ever let it lie down.

That's not Saints on the back page, just 1 moronic ex-footballer. Some might say he's lost his reputation since leaving with all the stories and headlines, I'd say he lost it for his 'performance' and 'leadership' in the 2004/05 season. If ever anyone's inept leadership and lack of passion highlighted the importance of a strong captain it was him.It's bad enough getting involved with betting on games you're involved in, of any sort...I know a throw in etc doesn't seem to matter, but the simple fact is you should be 100% focused on your game, the tactics and getting the win, nothing else. Besides they earn fortunes, even then, far more than the fans who'd love to be out there.

So given that, the only thing to make it worse would be trying to further profit from it years later by selling your story to a vile paper at a time when the club you supposedly care about has turned itself round.

Completely agree, hence my comment #23...

That's not Saints on the back page, just 1 moronic ex-footballer. Some might say he's lost his reputation since leaving with all the stories and headlines, I'd say he lost it for his 'performance' and 'leadership' in the 2004/05 season. If ever anyone's inept leadership and lack of passion highlighted the importance of a strong captain it was him.

It's bad enough getting involved with betting on games you're involved in, of any sort...I know a throw in etc doesn't seem to matter, but the simple fact is you should be 100% focused on your game, the tactics and getting the win, nothing else. Besides they earn fortunes, even then, far more than the fans who'd love to be out there.

So given that, the only thing to make it worse would be trying to further profit from it years later by selling your story to a vile paper at a time when the club you supposedly care about has turned itself round.

It sure looks like our former captain, wearing our shirt and it sure reads like he's talking about spot fixing during his time at Southampton.

Other than that, you're right, nothing to do with us.

*Buries head in sand*

This Charming Man is right, people who read that article wont give a shiny one if its Claus or Forbes Ernest Phillipson-Masters, they will only see Southampton Football Club.

which is really why The Sun have run the story in the first place. They probably want to damage the clubs reputation any way they can.

which is really why The Sun have run the story in the first place. They probably want to damage the clubs reputation any way they can.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. They're obviously not interested in the fact that a former Premiership footballer has declared that spot fixing is rife in the worlds most famous football league and are far more interested in trying to ruin little ol' Southampton.

No problem. He made it clear that it was in collusion with other teams skippers/players. The Premier League will soon make sure the story is "buried".

Also good opportunity for the club to put a positive spin on it, emphasising the difference between the "old" club and the current "Southampton way"

Or maybe not.

It's a good story and they would have run it if it was any current or recent Prem club, esp as the activity happened when said club was in the Prem.

Really not a vendetta against Saints.

No problem. He made it clear that it was in collusion with other teams skippers/players. The Premier League will soon make sure the story is "buried".

Or they will open a colossal can of worms, and make an initial example out of the only club whose players have now on two occasions, admitted to some involvement. We are not big fish in the PL, we have no oily nepotistic patron in the heirarchy of the FA or PL, they can send a nice, safe message to the rest of English Football.

I am worried.

Be interesting to see how this runs.

It won't affect Saints directly, after all, there's no one left here to punish, and these are just unfounded allegations at the moment. (yes, everyone assumes they're true, but that's different to proving they're true)

Claus is in the spotlight at the moment, but by the time this has played out, he'll probably either have been swept under the carpet, or be seen as a whistleblower.

Edited by Jimmy_D

Be interesting to see how this runs.

It won't affect Saints directly, after all, there's no one left here to punish, and these are just unfounded allegations at the moment. (yes, everyone assumes they're true, but that's different to proving they're true)

Claus is in the spotlight at the moment, but by the time this has played out, he'll probably either have been swept under the carpet, or be seen as a whistleblower.

This. At worst there will be some half arsed faux inverstigation, where nothing can be proved and it fizzles out to nothing. Annoying to have MLT's name dragged through the mud along with CL though.

Edited by Jimmy_D

What a douche...

I don't understand why he would mention it for any other reason then needing the money.

The sad thing is he obviously waited until we were back in the pl to do it as obviously nobody would of cared when we were in league one.

This. At worst there will be some half arsed faux inverstigation, where nothing can be proved and it fizzles out to nothing. Annoying to have MLT's name dragged through the mud along with CL though.

Why is it annoying to have MLT's name dragged through the mud? MLT admitted the same thing before Claus. He is just as guilty, makes not a jot of difference that he admitted to only doing it once. Thing is MLT is seen as a legend so its not the same. Well it is, both are stupid, but one is a stupid genius, while the other is a stupid centre half. Double standards. The issue here is that it is clear that people from other clubs colluded and are therefore just as guilt (aiding and abetting). I bet some of them, especially if they are still playing are bricking it now that blabbermouth has spilled the beans. Maybe they could investigate whether a certain R Lowe or H Redknapp knew what was going on.

Did Claus have a huge bet on Saints to get relegated in 2005? It would explain a lot of performances.

The weird thing is, at the infamous Villa game where we threw away a 2 goal lead so easily with three of the poorest goals you'll ever see Saints concede, I turned to my mate in the Kingsland and said casually "It's almost as if Saints have thrown this away deliberately". Someone in the next row overheard it and had a go at me - to be fair it was a flippant comment made in shock at how Saints hadn't tried at all and rolled over in the second half and even I didn't believe it - but it does make you think back now. I still think it's highly unlikely but it does highlight how rotten SFC had become by that stage and how unprofessional the culture inside the club was. That Man U cup game and Blackburn away also bring a shudder, two of the worst SFC displays ever.

Well, Claus has certainly ruined his legend status now. Just hope people now appreciate and realise what we have now all the more - great owners, great manager and a professional and honest set of players that I can honestly never see getting involved in this rubbish.

Its going to be quite a record if he manages to get us relegated for a second time....

Claus is a f**king bell-end. Really, he's become a complete embarassment since his retirement.

I just hope the FA dont see some sort of bizarre convoluted excuse here to punish the latter-day club.

I am worried about this.

We have no champions in the corridors of power, like the West Hams of this world.

I can see this blowing up big-time...

:lol: & :lol: & :lol:

The weird thing is, at the infamous Villa game where we threw away a 2 goal lead so easily with three of the poorest goals you'll ever see Saints concede, I turned to my mate in the Kingsland and said casually "It's almost as if Saints have thrown this away deliberately". Someone in the next row overheard it and had a go at me - to be fair it was a flippant comment made in shock at how Saints hadn't tried at all and rolled over in the second half and even I didn't believe it - but it does make you think back now. I still think it's highly unlikely but it does highlight how rotten SFC had become by that stage and how unprofessional the culture inside the club was. That Man U cup game and Blackburn away also bring a shudder, two of the worst SFC displays ever.

Well, Claus has certainly ruined his legend status now. Just hope people now appreciate and realise what we have now all the more - great owners, great manager and a professional and honest set of players that I can honestly never see getting involved in this rubbish.

Not just the Villa game either....Everton and Middlesbrough spring to mind as well.

I don't believe this and think he is in fantasy land. There was an incident regarding first throw in at West Ham a number of years ago. The bookies then immediately stopped that market. They're not mugs and won't be mugged off like he is suggesting. He is an alcoholic trying to get some booze money from selling a story to the paper.

I'll pose a couple of questions because they've been "bugging" me since MLT first mentioned this - and even more since Claus saw fit to flap his lips about it.

Given the tendency for footballers to talk about this kind of stuff among themselves, and the fact that some of these things needed more than one player to pull them off, how far did the betting reach among the squads of those eras?

Given the tendency for footballers to giggle like schoolgirls in the dressing room when something tickles them, just how aware were the managers of the time? Surely, they weren't completely oblivious to it, were they?

I'll pose a couple of questions because they've been "bugging" me since MLT first mentioned this - and even more since Claus saw fit to flap his lips about it.

Given the tendency for footballers to talk about this kind of stuff among themselves, and the fact that some of these things needed more than one player to pull them off, how far did the betting reach among the squads of those eras?

Given the tendency for footballers to giggle like schoolgirls in the dressing room when something tickles them, just how aware were the managers of the time? Surely, they weren't completely oblivious to it, were they?

I was thinking the same. I will pose the question to Dave Merrington live on Solent, and ask him if he knew it was happening and if not why not?

inside information...they probably did know...and then phoned a mate to go straight down the bookies and put a bet on what they'd overheard in the dressing room..maybe

It's fraud that's why, just needs the bookies association to demand an enquiry into the level of the trickery ,something really unsavoury like a fixed match comes out and you get relegated or something like that even if it was years back.It's what happened to Juventus, bloke needs to count his ill gotten gains and STFU.Are cricketers not doing time for similar incidents?

no, in the case of Juventus, there was evidence that the club itself had fixed games....this refers purely to the activities of an individual, like Hansie Cronje....there will doubtless be investigation but unless we have acted inappropriately, then we obviously have done nothing wrong.....

The money offered by The Sun must have been good or Claus extremely desperate because he's sure to be questioned further, and i'd expect MLT will too. This is a criminal act and it's fraud and corruption.

Edited by dune

"Benali denies Lundekvam's claims" - BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18801231

Interesting. Franny is clearly fuming over this because what Claus has come out with essentially casts a dark cloud over everyone involved with the club at this time. That said you'd expect him to deny it even if he was aware of it, which i'm not saying he was.

Claus alleges "players pooled money and gave it to club staff to place bets".

A full police investigation needs to take place and Claus needs to be asked to name names.