The Adam Lallana injury thread

jawillwill

Just give him a cortisone injection and get him out there Like they used to in the good old days FFS. That's the trouble with footballers these days 'oh my knee hurt' pooftas the lot of 'em.

I presume you're being ironic. You need to talk to David Armstrong about that. He fully admits that nobody forced him to have cortisone jabs but

his ankle is now so bad that he is a registered disabled person, all the legacy of cortisone shots. There are more harrowing details of this story but I wouldn't want to breach Spike's privacy without his permission.

I presume you're being ironic. You need to talk to David Armstrong about that. He fully admits that nobody forced him to have cortisone jabs but

his ankle is now so bad that he is a registered disabled person, all the legacy of cortisone shots. There are more harrowing details of this story but I wouldn't want to breach Spike's privacy without his permission.

Didn't Jim Steele once claim that Cortisone shots had made him sterile ?

http://www.markhodkinson.com/pages/journalism_cortisone.htm

The article says:

"Lallana is understood to have attempted some straight-line running this week for the first time, but was unable to turn or move from side-to-side without suffering discomfort."

So he might well have been able to turn but could feel it wasnt quite right. I would expect that seeing as its only a month since the injury.

Of course, we don't know how severe the discomfort was which means its impossible to tell how long he will be out for from the article.

Why does everyone suddenly believe word for word what the Echo has reported? Read the article again, there is nothing in it of substance, the phrases "we understand" and the like can be interpreted as "we have no fecking clue but need to write something to fill up the page". They may be right, who knows, but as a source the Echo ranks along side my insider knowledge for worthiness.

Why does everyone suddenly believe word for word what the Echo has reported? Read the article again, there is nothing in it of substance, the phrases "we understand" and the like can be interpreted as "we have no fecking clue but need to write something to fill up the page". They may be right, who knows, but as a source the Echo ranks along side my insider knowledge for worthiness.

It means that someone present at Staplewood or wherever tells them things, mind you Pilchards sometimes get things wrong.

Could be being fed false information, it happens everywhere nowadays for the most inconsequent of things.

The article says:

"Lallana is understood to have attempted some straight-line running this week for the first time, but was unable to turn or move from side-to-side without suffering discomfort."

So he might well have been able to turn but could feel it wasnt quite right. I would expect that seeing as its only a month since the injury.

Of course, we don't know how severe the discomfort was which means its impossible to tell how long he will be out for from the article.

The other half is a Physio and this is her take on the latest update so basically unless The Echo have details on this from the clubs Medical department or even Adam himself then they are just guessing really.

Without seeing how the injury happened, I suspect he's done one of the collateral ligaments (one each side of the knee joint), possibly tweaked one of the cruciates.

Standard stuff, in rehab you start with straight line stuff before progressing to direction change. He's probably been working on strength and fitness and will continue to do that until it's healed more, and then they'll try again.

Time scales are really difficult; it all depends on the extent of the damage, has he re-damaged an old injury (scar tissue) etc. All you can say is that ligaments can be a bugger, and healing is slow due to reduced blood supply (compared to muscle and bone).

The other half is a Physio and this is her take on the latest update so basically unless The Echo have details on this from the clubs Medical department or even Adam himself then they are just guessing really.

Without seeing how the injury happened, I suspect he's done one of the collateral ligaments (one each side of the knee joint), possibly tweaked one of the cruciates.

Standard stuff, in rehab you start with straight line stuff before progressing to direction change. He's probably been working on strength and fitness and will continue to do that until it's healed more, and then they'll try again.

Time scales are really difficult; it all depends on the extent of the damage, has he re-damaged an old injury (scar tissue) etc. All you can say is that ligaments can be a bugger, and healing is slow due to reduced blood supply (compared to muscle and bone).

His father said it was his good knee, not the one he had the operation on eighteen months ago. He has been going in every day but until it heals properly, he regains fitness, breaks himself in, he won't be back until it is perfect. The club know coming back too early could damage his career.

His father said it was his good knee, not the one he had the operation on eighteen months ago. He has been going in every day but until it heals properly, he regains fitness, breaks himself in, he won't be back until it is perfect. The club know coming back too early could damage his career.

Yeah they won't risk him. Being back running in straight lines is a good sign though, sure he will be back in Feb sometime.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Was told today by someone who spoke to Adam that he himself thinks he'll be playing in February. Whether the club physios agree is another matter.

Feb seems realistic to me. We will find out anyway because the Journalists always ask NA if he is playing and he always says he 'isn't fit for this game'. When he starts saying 'you will have to wait and see' or is more evasiv then he will be nearly back.

Makes the whole not commenting routine a bit silly really.

Ligamentous injuries are slow to heal due the the fibrous and elastin composition of ligaments, and their relatively poor blood supply.

Then factor in the need to rebuild baseline fitness and regional muscle strength lost during the healing process and you're looking at a potentially long lay off, poss rest of season to get fully fit.

Furthermore, premature stress on the healing ligament can easily re-tear it.

I pray it is sooner but prepared for the worst.

Edited by adrian lord

Ligamentous injuries are slow to heal due the the fibrous and elastin composition of ligaments, and their relatively poor blood supply.

Then factor in the need to rebuild baseline fitness and regional muscle strength lost during the healing process and you're looking at a potentially long lay off, poss rest of season to get fully fit.

I pray it is sooner but prepared for the worst.

Nothing a bit of deep heat wont cure mush.

back in february, eh ?

....now someone tell me that was a surprise. TBH I'd be amazed if he was even back then...getting back in training .....isn't the same as being 100% match-fit.

The very tone of everything since the day of the injury seemed to indicate that...but I still hope it'll be sooner..rather than later.

Journalists at Adkins Presser on Saints Player said they "saw Adam running around with the players".

So he isn't obviously doing full training but running is a good sign and surely shows any out for the season rumours are false.

In fact, at about 35 secs on the Jay Rod Solent interview Im pretty sure its Lallana you see running with the rest of the squad.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I heard yesterday that he was out for the season.

Story was that he might get a game in before the end, but they have effectively written this season off.

Of course it could be a load of billlocks, but source is normally good.

Have the echo asked you for your comment on this yet Steve? Have you prepared a statement for them?

Journalists at Adkins Presser on Saints Player said they "saw Adam running around with the players".

So he isn't obviously doing full training but running is a good sign and surely shows any out for the season rumours are false.

In fact, at about 35 secs on the Jay Rod Solent interview Im pretty sure its Lallana you see running with the rest of the squad.

Yes, but was it only in a straight line?

I trust Um Pahars source more than some bias journo and some grainy propoganda video from saintsplayer thank you very much.

So do I. I no longer believe that what I saw was AL running. He is out for the season IMO and if lucky will narrowly avoid losing the whole leg.

Um Pahars is ITK. He is a failed fan on the board and former member of the Saints trust. I trust his contacts.

GeeQ6.jpg

At least he is back doing some light training - and that doesn't look like straight line training either so progress from the Echo report that anything other than jogging in a line caused discomfort.

You can tell from the pic that the ligament isn't quite right - still looks ruptured to me. Will be lucky to see him before the end of the season of 2014-15 IMO.

GeeQ6.jpg

At least he is back doing some light training - and that doesn't look like straight line training either so progress from the Echo report that anything other than jogging in a line caused discomfort.

He's side stepping, essentially a moving 'star jump' or 'jumping jack' as the yanks call it. Well that looks like what most of the other players are doing. There so no real twisting inolved in that but it will put pressure on the sides of the knee joint so it's positive. He's also got studs on which I doubt they would do unless his knee strength was good because they could catch and twist.

Promising signs, certainly doesn't look like he's out or the season.

I spoke to Lallana himself a week ago and it's good news and not very long before he is back. It does make you laugh reading the rumours on here!

Mostly from people claiming the info has come from one of their "good" sources. I'd hate to think what their bad sources are telling them

You can tell from the pic that the ligament isn't quite right - still looks ruptured to me. Will be lucky to see him before the end of the season of 2014-15 IMO.

Don't forget we've got a fantastic medical team here at Southampton, together with an unbelievable sports science department, all headed up by Les Reed, who once wrote the training manual for England dontcha know. I think you might be being a tad negative Charlie

Don't forget we've got a fantastic medical team here at Southampton, together with an unbelievable sports science department, all headed up by Les Reed, who once wrote the training manual for England dontcha know. I think you might be being a tad negative Charlie

You can tell by looking at his face in the picture with Adkins - he has no stress or pressure about himself because he is resigned to the fact he won't be seen on the pitch for Saints for 17 or 18 months.

:lol:

I was told before Xmas that he would be around the Chelski game, but as they did not want to risk him in the cup don't be surprised to see him making an appearance very, very soon.

Can only run in straight lines the echo said....

well two weeks ago maybe?

Wouldnt surprise me if he is near the team this week

Come on, you can 'tell' no such thing from that picture. On the face of it seeing Adam back in any form of training can only be a very good sign I would have thought.

Take off your happy specs and take another look. It's seconds away from rupture and Adkins desire to get him back training smacks of desperation.

Take off your happy specs and take another look. It's seconds away from rupture and Adkins desire to get him back training smacks of desperation.

I would imagine the medical staff would veto any move to get him training too early.

That said you can still see the swelling on the outer edge of the knee which isnt a good sign IMO and would certain restrict lateral movement of the joint as a whole. March a more realistic target by the looks of it.

I was told before Xmas that he would be around the Chelski game, but as they did not want to risk him in the cup don't be surprised to see him making an appearance very, very soon.

Can only run in straight lines the echo said....

well two weeks ago maybe?

That hasn't stopped De Ridder getting some playing time.