Philipe Coutinho - Medical at Liverpool

itchen_dan

If we got that kind of money to spend then we will find someone else. £13m for him is way too much in my opinion.

Good prospect and would of fit in with the youth policy but I think you could get better for that money. Could maybe get James Rodríguez for around that.

If anything this is a good result! Why we are buying a ACM is beyond me. We have gaston. We need a wide attacking player. Hopefully MP can sweet talk Mourinho into a loan deal or the 8 mil quoted asking price for callejon who in my opinion is a better player and plays in a position we actually need.

It won't matter if we raise it to twenty million. If the player wants to go to Liverpool then he'll go, esp if Liverpool have put in an acceptable bid, which it sounds like they have.

That's it, exactly. I don't need to read any more. This is all we need to know. Liverpool have had their bid accepted and the player wants to go there. Game over.

That's it, exactly. I don't need to read any more. This is all we need to know. Liverpool have had their bid accepted and the player wants to go there. Game over.

Well I guess you don't work in sales then? Real challenge is when the customer says NO (or rather when he prefers the competition), and then it's down to selling your value add (vision in this case) versus the competition (as long as you genuinely believe in it). NC is no mug - he has consistently sold our vision to many who could have joined bigger / higher division clubs. Not 100% of time granted, but more than his fair share. If Coutinho talks to us and looks over St. Mary's prior to making a decision, and he would silly not to evaluate all his options, we might have a chance.

Having said this, I agree €13M seems quite a gamble - TW and Oxo went for about the same (considering the exchange rate at the time). No idea about the wages, but would sooner have our old boys back! As some have mentioned, it is dreamland stuff that we are now bidding for these caliber of players!

Why are people assuming Ince is better? This lad is currently playing for Inter Milan and has a full Brazil cap, i'm not quite sure how people are working that one out. not that i dont rate Ince but a 20 year old Inter Milan player with a cap for one of the best international teams in the world sounds in a different league, no?

Would agree there.

Nothing from club at all, were we even interested?? Have a feeling a top player will pop out of nowhere next week!!

I believe that too!

What I find strange is the comments 'Wait till Monday for what offer Saints put forward.'

Does anyone not do weekends then?

If the reports are correct, and the player wants Liverpool, I wouldn't even try to gazump them on wages.

Hope we have alternative targets.

My thoughts exactly. If he'd prefer to play for Liverpool then let him go. Why pay over the odds for someone that doesn't actually want to be here. I'm sure MP has a few players in mind that will not only be of the required standard but he knows will be able to play in the style that he wants from the players. Move on now.....

My thoughts exactly. If he'd prefer to play for Liverpool then let him go. Why pay over the odds for someone that doesn't actually want to be here. I'm sure MP has a few players in mind that will not only be of the required standard but he knows will be able to play in the style that he wants from the players. Move on now.....

His first choice might be Liverpool but I'm sure he would come to Saints if we offered more wages.

Im sure MP has spoken to him and that's why we are after him.

Not sure about these latest reports. Why would Liverpool only tell Inter about their intention to up their bid, rather than just do it? In addition, why would Inter wait for us if Liverpool are supposed to match our bid if the player is keen to go there?

Not sure if we are any more wiser than we were yesterday.

Not sure about these latest reports. Why would Liverpool only tell Inter about their intention to up their bid, rather than just do it? In addition, why would Inter wait for us if Liverpool are supposed to match our bid if the player is keen to go there?

Not sure if we are any more wiser than we were yesterday.

I think they would see if we gazump them....rather than match them

1122:

TRANSFER LATEST

Liverpool Post and Daily Post (Wales) writer Ian Doyle: "Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers remains intent on completing a few more deals before the transfer deadline. They are keen to beef up their attack while also looking to the future in defence.

"Liverpool are hopeful of signing Inter Milan's young Brazilian midfielder Philippe Coutinho and Blackpool winger Tom Ince, although there's no guarantee both deals will be completed this transfer window. The arrivals of the two, coupled with Daniel Sturridge's earlier signing, would be an impressive haul."

That's true but if the player is really adamant that he wants Liverpool, pretty pointless.

Unless Cortese wants to scupper Liverpool's bid regardless?

If Cortese gets the impression that Coutinho won't come here at the moment, regardless of what bid we put in, if I was him I'd put in a 'stupid' bid of say £20m - that might be enough for Milan to tell Liverpool to get stuffed even if Coutinho continues to refuse to come here. In other words, putting in a higher bid might just be a delaying tactic by Cortese to (a) stop the player going to another premier league team and (b) but us time to convince Courtinho to join us in the summer instead.

On the other hand I could be thinking way too hard about this...

Edited by trousers

Good news. Although I wanted to see him here, I am extremely pleased to see the club not paying over the odds and are moving onto other targets (e.g Astori - Forren and now Coutinho - ?)

Rather this policy than the QPR 'throw whatever money it takes to get him signed' policy.

Transfer news!

From the Guardian's live F.A feed

Within the last 10 minutes La Gazzetta dello Sport have reported that Philippe Coutinho is on the verge of a move to Liverpool after Internazionale accepted a €13m offer, and that representatives of the Premier League side will be in Milan on Monday to seal the deal. I do like the phrase "Verso la fumata bianca" – "approaches the white smoke", which followers of papal election thingies – Italians, in other words – will understand.