SAINTS 0-3 West Bromwich Albion // Post-Match Reaction

Saint-Armstrong

Match of the Day was interesting for several reasons. They have changed the opening sequence to drop the Lallana celebration. Probably thought that it was such a rare occurrence that it made it a curiosity. They now have a longer shot of us wearing the new strip, as the previous fleeting glance could have been of one of the other teams who wear the stripes. Interesting to hear the other Neville brother's punditry, as his opinion was that we would spend in the summer and as a result move up a level. The other feeling that I was left with was that Ramirez is the poor man's Coutinho. What a shame that we didn't get him.

Not sure Ramirez is the poor mans, I still have faith in the lad. Hopefully he will kick on next year. We have dumped 15m on him so we need to give him time. Perhaps get another technical winger around him to help him etc.

Coutinho looks great though, and is finding his feet like I only hoped Gaston would this year.

Terrible performance, reminded me of the Sunderland game albeit West Brom better than Sunderland. Lambert and Lallana gave us nothing and deserve to be dropped for next game based on their performances. As for Jos and Fox they are simply not good enough for this level.

Do your homework on us and we are so easy to work out. Other teams just need to do play 4 3 3, have pace upfront and restrict our fullbacks getting forward.

Bale, Lennon and Defoe will have a field day next week.

Go back to the drawing board, we need a plan B when the opposing coach has a clue. At least it should be the last we see of Fox in a Saints shirt.

But it won't be, Fox has been awful in every game he has played and still

gets picked so why would that change? MPs team

selections are starting to worry me....

Terrible performance, reminded me of the Sunderland game albeit West Brom better than Sunderland. Lambert and Lallana gave us nothing and deserve to be dropped for next game based on their performances. As for Jos and Fox they are simply not good enough for this level.

Do your homework on us and we are so easy to work out. Other teams just need to do play 4 3 3, have pace upfront and restrict our fullbacks getting forward.

Bale, Lennon and Defoe will have a field day next week.

Just like Man City,Chelsea and Liverpool did i guess..

I actually thought we played much better in the first where we had quite a few chances and dominated possession.

I don't think they're much better - the biggest difference between them and us is pace/power in one or two positions. Hopefully that's our priority in the summer.

9 or 10 positions yesterday. The single biggest difference between the teams yesterday was their pace 1v1, West Brom were quicker man for man in attack and defence in virtually every position on the pitch. I'd even wager Foster could beat Boruc over 10m, 25m and 50m.

We really seem to have lost shape in attack and defence since Puncheon has been out of the team, and obviously Shaw is a massive loss at LB. I also think our attacking options have changed since Davis has come in - he's doing a good job and until yesterday the goals against was very much under control (3 in the previous 6).

Earlier in the season when we were playing 4 attacking players across the front the movement and interchanging was excellent, for my money we always seem to struggle when we play Lambert with just 2 other attackers. Our default front 4 was Punch, Ramirez, Lallana, RL and these 4 put in some good performances together.

J Rod is well worth his place but we don't seem to have found the same balance when he's been in the team.

I think it's becoming increasingly clear that Lallana and Ramirez together is not really working out, and I'm starting to think there might be similar thing with RL/JRod playing together.

I can't work out why Puncheon is the fall guy in all this (new contract, he's done a Saganowski on us?)? His combo down the right with Clyne has been a strength all season.

Lets not sign anymore tippy tappy one-paced touch players, we need either a beast up front (Carrol dare I say?!) or a really quick and adept finisher (possibly JRod on a full time basis), not sure where RL is fitting in as a striker for next season but would be a vast improvement on Ramirez at number 10 (see Villa away).

We will stay up

We will finish somewhere between 12 and 16

We will finish higher next season.

COYRS.

Or more to the point - Next Week, with Fox banned and Luke possibly still crocked against an attacked minded Spurts?

Move Clyne over to the left and I have a feeling he will put Cork at right back although personally I would go with Ricardson.

Unless Forren can play at left back of course.....

Am I actually reading this properly ? We have been on a decent run of form, not lost in 7, beaten Liverpool, beaten City, generally been playing some very good football. Starting to see the best out of J Rod etc half the board were talking about Europe etc (over the top yes but shows how well we were playing)

We had a bad day at the office yesterday, the players were already on holiday IMO. It was a lazy performance which WBA capitalised on and thoroughly took the game away from us. Lallana was poor, Lambert non existant and even a reliable cork went missing at times. Thus gave WBA more oppurtunity to get the ball to their front men. All pace and power, and basically overturned our defence. Perhaps with a better equiped midfield we could have reduced the service, without one it was hopeless.

But to then come here and read such dross as Clyne, Yoshi, Lallana (poor season ok) arent fit to wear the shirt, that Poch has no clue and is riding on Adkins baby ?!?! Really ?!? I was never impressed with Nige this season, our play lacked passion, tactics and the right substitutions, the defence leaky and no e of it for me was sorted until Poch's arrival.

What Inam saying is get some perspective and dont get dragged in by the trolls, it was a poor poor game but it happens. Even the best have off nights. And no it doesnt mean we are in trouble, not does it mean we need a brand new 11. What it does mean is that thr boys will now realise they still have to turn up, play with the intensity that they have been and push on. Im sure Poch isnt one to just brush over it in the training ground.

Because people don't see things your way doesn't make them trolls SS and if lots of folk don't see things your way time for you to think about whether you've missed the point. You don't seem to offer any insight in your post just criticism of others. How does that help?

We got fairly and comfortably beaten.

It was the reverse of Liverpool game - we went ahead after 6 mins and they didn't start playing looking nervous.

WBA started well, scored, gained confidence. Our defence lacked confidence. Fox had a nightmare, and knew he was which made it a viscous circle. jos wasn't as good as recently.

Lambert was below his normal standard with a few loose controls.

Lallana was a shadow of the player v Liverpool.

Thought Schneiderlin was excellent but alone for much of the game.

Rodriguez made a difference when he came on, clearly huge potential and class above many. Blatant fouls on him before sending off. Needs not to react but still think could easily escaped red as more shrugging him off with arm (still wrong) rather than elbow to face. The play acting helped, that broken nose from elbow in face from big bloke didn't leave mark!

Huge amount of possession without looking likely to score. Games turn like that - recently our way.

Not much to change view just shows we really could do with Shaw signing!

Reckon after long hard first season there was some subconscious taking foot of pedal now we are safe. Happens to clubs every year.

Because people don't see things your way doesn't make them trolls SS and if lots of folk don't see things your way time for you to think about whether you've missed the point. You don't seem to offer any insight in your post just criticism of others. How does that help?

We certainly have our share of trolls, you know it as do I, and yes we have positive ones and negative ones. For me a troll is someone of whom I dont necessarily believes what they say but will say it again and again and again in order to attempt to drag people into an arguement.

As per what I said in my post you qouted, I dont think it is unfair to assume that one bad game doesnt make good players bad or a manager that seems to have worked out an effective way of playing clueless ?

Did you actually read the post ?

We got fairly and comfortably beaten.

It was the reverse of Liverpool game - we went ahead after 6 mins and they didn't start playing looking nervous.

WBA started well, scored, gained confidence. Our defence lacked confidence. Fox had a nightmare, and knew he was which made it a viscous circle. jos wasn't as good as recently.

Lambert was below his normal standard with a few loose controls.

Lallana was a shadow of the player v Liverpool.

Thought Schneiderlin was excellent but alone for much of the game.

Rodriguez made a difference when he came on, clearly huge potential and class above many. Blatant fouls on him before sending off. Needs not to react but still think could easily escaped red as more shrugging him off with arm (still wrong) rather than elbow to face. The play acting helped, that broken nose from elbow in face from big bloke didn't leave mark!

Huge amount of possession without looking likely to score. Games turn like that - recently our way.

Not much to change view just shows we really could do with Shaw signing!

Reckon after long hard first season there was some subconscious taking foot of pedal now we are safe. Happens to clubs every year.

Take it you mean Ramirez ? And whilst I agree with what you said it was definately a red card, he swing his elbow at him, may have been forearm

Well, it's fair to say that the Albion surprised even me. I was expecting much more of our on the beach, lethargic performances but thankfully we saw a resemblence of the West Brom in the earlier parts of the season where we defended well, were ruthless in-front of goal and played with good intensity. I was expecting you to batter us to be honest so it came as a pleasent surprise to see us control large parts of the game and take our chances when they came along.

There wasn't a bad performer for us thankfully, the back five were incredibly solid as usual, the midfield were the same with Claudio Yacob being the lynch pin and our three forwards were very effective in causing your back four problems - it's something I'd like to see us do more often as it suited us down to the ground.

I thought our fans were excellent to, probably our great following support of the season. Scoring an early goal and the decline in Staffordshire certainly helped to raise the spirits. The majority of our chanting was taking the pee out of Wolves but on occasions like that, I think we can be excused of chanting about them. It's probably the first time we've taken the mickey all season and yesterday was just a carnival atmosphere at our great season and their rapid decline. I was expecting a poor atmosphere given how many numbers we were taking but thankfully I was wrong.

Also thought the referee had a very good game getting the three challenges spot on - the actions of Ramirez and Fox were both cowardly and Fortune didn't cover himself in much glory either.

Overall, a very good day and best of luck with the remainder of the season and next year.

The **** are going down! (again)!

A horror show. It happens I suppose, but hopefully not too often. We are a newly promoted side, we can't expect to be world beaters all the time. We will need to strengthen though and this tyoe of game shows where. Anyone else worried we might still be dragged into the mix?

was Cork injured, because if he wasn't it was the worst substitute decision this season. As soon as he went off we disintegrated, not that we were all that great in the first half. So many players were below par, from the keeper, the back four, midfield and through to the strikers. Offensively we were toothless. Lambert did nothing and Lallana just isn't doing enough. Without Shaw bombing down the line we struggle to open teams up.

I heard on the radio as I was driving in that WBA had not beaten us at our place since the sixties or something. Whenever stats like that are dragged uo we always lose. Always.

Boruc 5 - four throw outs, two went straight to the opposition. Small things, but sets the tone. Should have done better with the first.

Clyne 7 - some questionable positioning for their second goal. not bad going forward. I actually think he plays better with Puncheon. Lallana just gets in the way.

Jos 3 - made to look slow and poor like many on here have been saying. In the second half he didn't seem to know what sort of pass he should make. He's done well over the last few months but ill equipped to handle Lukaku.

Yoshida 3 - what the **** was he doing for the third goal? Dived in like a schoolboy. Not good enough IMO. Our lack of height cost us for the first goal as well. We looked like we might concede from every corner. For me he only looks good when opponents play one up front. Play two and he loos exposed.

Fox 2 - Davis may have given him a hospital pass, and he possibly wanted to show the fans he was fully comitted, but what a horrible tackle. Apart from that he had a poor game. Didn't get tight, didn't mark, and outpaced. Lakaku took him to pieces. Going forward he offered too many crap crosses. He doesn't overlap. Maybe he is told not to, if not its down to him being lazy.

Cork 5 worked hard but they bypassed midfield so despite controlling that area of the pitch WBA still were the more effective side. When he went off we totally lost our way and rythm.

Morgan 6- similar to Cork. Why is he collecting two yard pass from the two centre backs though. Let them do that and move into midfield to collect a pass.

Davis 6 busy as usual, but I'm not sure he is good enough to play as part of a two man central midfield. Much better in that free role.

Lallana 3 did nothing and shoukd have been subbed at half time for me.

Lambert 3 also did nothing. When he comes up against towering centre backs and fullbacks he can struggle.

Rodrigez 7 worked hard and did OK, but comoare our front three with theirs and ours looked poor.

Ramirez deserved to go.

Mayuka he looks like a bobbler to me. Lively but never got the ball under control.

Fonte Good to see him back

We will stay up

We will finish somewhere between 12 and 16

We will finish higher next season.

I agree with this. Yesterday was very disappointing, just like the good old "normal" days of being a Saints supporter.

But - lets be honest, a six game unbeaten run including wins over Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool is probably overachieving for our current squad. A bit of quality improvement over the Summer and we should keep our upward trajectory.

Some of the comments being levelled at Gaston remind me of this board

...remind me of this board.... a few years ago when people were saying similar things about an up and coming Spiderman.

I think at the start of the season most of us would have taken one defeat in 7 games and 7 points clear of the relegation spot with 3 to go?

Just a thought but hopefully next week we put some work into attacking set pieces as every dead ball went into exactly the same area where Ben Foster was able to pick it out the air with no problem...

because Lambert wasn't very effective yesterday. I'd have hoicked him off at half-time,same as Lallana. Apart from JRod, who is sometimes over-ambitious and takes out balls that would be better left to others, and players coming in from deep we had nothing in attack yesterday, same as at Swansea. Season is too long for some of the lads it would seem. I know they all want to play every week but squad rotation has it's benefits if you have enough quality in reserve.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Wouldn't mind seeing us rest Lambert for a game or two. He's not been at it anyway in the past 2 or 3 games and we don't have a plan B without him just yet. Perhaps a a more mobile front two of Rodriguez and Mayuka is worth a try. Yesterday we pretty much failed to get in behind their defence all game, all our play was in front of their defenders. Rodriguez clearly has pace, Mayuka is quick too.

Wouldn't mind seeing us rest Lambert for a game or two. He's not been at it anyway in the past 2 or 3 games and we don't have a plan B without him just yet. Perhaps a a more mobile front two of Rodriguez and Mayuka is worth a try. Yesterday we pretty much failed to get in behind their defence all game, all our play was in front of their defenders. Rodriguez clearly has pace, Mayuka is quick too.

Don't need to rest Lambert now - there's only 3 games left in the season.

Needed a day or so to get over it!

Thought the performance was very poor - with the defence particularly shaky, and Boruc looking nervous because of that. Lallana very poor, and Lambert barely had any service, and once he did twice in the second half fell over. Needs a rest, and doesnt look fit. Thought Cork was our best player in the first half, surprised he was taken off, unless injured as previously mentioned. The referee was totally awful in the first half, gave them everything and us nothing - not a surprise they were frustrated out there!

Trying to find a positive, I thought Mayuka actually looked pretty good when he came on, some good running, and couple of decent turns. Won one or two freekicks in decent positions. Definitely an option for last few games of the season. Davis looked ok, and Morgan reliable as usual, but pretty much everyone else had a bad game. Defence looks like they've 'got away with it' for a while on that showing. Fonte back in next week?

Bad day at the office, get over it and move on. Some massive very laughable over reactions as per usual on here if we were as bad as some people make out we would be down with QPR and Reading. People are entitled to their opinions but there should be some level of rationale to them, it's convenient to see certain posters crop up with their "I told you so" based on one game, yet conveniently ignoring the team's generally good form over the previous 6.

Think Adkins said don't get too high when you win don't get too down when you loose. Most of the WBA players played very well most of ours had a bad game. It happens, doesn't make them bad players.

Bad day at the office, get over it and move on. Some massive very laughable over reactions as per usual on here if we were as bad as some people make out we would be down with QPR and Reading. People are entitled to their opinions but there should be some level of rationale to them, it's convenient to see certain posters crop up with their "I told you so" based on one game, yet conveniently ignoring the team's generally good form over the previous 6.

Think Adkins said don't get too high when you win don't get too down when you loose. Most of the WBA players played very well most of ours had a bad game. It happens, doesn't make them bad players.

That was a very good post - until you ruined it by saying "loose" instead of "lose" ;)

"A bad day at the office", you reckon?

Are you deliberately ignoring Glasgows perfectly good piece of analysis about how sh*te our record is against the teams around us, and have you failed to notice that 2 of our last 3 games are against such teams ?

While you're right, we shouldn't get carried away by one poor performance, surely it must be a worry that we've scored one goal in our last three games? And conceded three goals at home to a team that hasn't got anything to play for and were missing two of their better players?

"A bad day at the office", you reckon?

Are you deliberately ignoring Glasgows perfectly good piece of analysis about how sh*te our record is against the teams around us, and have you failed to notice that 2 of our last 3 games are against such teams ?

That is a complete irrelevance. The only reason that WBA has become "one of the teams around us" is because of our recent good form (regardless of opposition).....and what is it that qualifies as "around us" anyway? You could level that description at two thirds of the league at the moment.

That is a complete irrelevance. The only reason that WBA has become "one of the teams around us" is because of our recent good form (regardless of opposition).....and what is it that qualifies as "around us" anyway? You could level that description at two thirds of the league at the moment.

In what way does your points make mine a complete irrelevance ? And your comment about disregarding the opposition is nonsense.

Our record in the flip-fixtures for the last 3 games is lost 2, drew 1. And Glasgow points out that the results against the teams around us are poor.

Our team has proved it can mix it with the best the league has to offer, but cannot get results against well-organised physical fighting teams.

In what way does your points make mine a complete irrelevance ? And your comment about disregarding the opposition is nonsense.

Our record in the flip-fixtures for the last 3 games is lost 2, drew 1. And Glasgow points out that the results against the teams around us are poor.

Our team has proved it can mix it with the best the league has to offer, but cannot get results against well-organised physical fighting teams.

What on earth are you on about? Please clarify what you mean by "teams around us"? Since losing at home to QPR, we have drawn away to Norwich, away to Swansea, at home to West Ham. Do any of these teams qualify as one of these teams around us? Do any of them fall into you convenient category of "well organised physical fighting teams"? Would a similar result against either Stoke or Sunderland (or Spurs even) be more than enough?

You seem to have an issue with somebody claiming that the WBA was a bad day at the office, so presumably you feel that the unbeaten run since the QPR game (regardless of opposition - I say again) was a complete fluke, and the writing was on the wall the whole time?

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot beating Reading away - but presumably they do not qualify as a "well organised physical fighting 'around us' team".

Edited by kpturner

What on earth are you on about? Please clarify what you mean by "teams around us"? Since losing at home to QPR, we have drawn away to Norwich, away to Swansea, at home to West Ham. Do any of these teams qualify as one of these teams around us? Do any of them fall into you convenient category of "well organised physical fighting teams"? Would a similar result against either Stoke or Sunderland (or Spurs even) be more than enough?

You seem to have an issue with somebody claiming that the WBA was a bad day at the office, so presumably you feel that the unbeaten run since the QPR game (regardless of opposition - I say again) was a complete fluke, and the writing was on the wall the whole time?

Yep, I do think the result has been coming. The positive side of me hopes that it will provide the kick in the pants we need. As a few people have said, we looked like the team on the beach. "Bad day at the office" is utter b*ll*cks.

And if you dont think the teams you listed arent the teams around us, its obviously been too long since you looked at the table.

And if you dont think the teams you listed arent the teams around us, its obviously been too long since you looked at the table.
:lol: Did you do English comprehension at school? I do consider them to be teams around us - that is the whole point!! They are teams around us whom we have taken very important points from. That is why your assertion that two of our three remaining fixtures are, by default, going to be a huge problem for us has no substance. There is every likelihood that, based on recent form, we can get a result from those games.

Please tell me why this result has been coming? How many of our games have you actually witnessed?

:lol: Did you do English comprehension at school? I do consider them to be teams around us - that is the whole point!! They are teams around us whom we have taken very important points from. That is why your assertion that two of our three remaining fixtures are, by default, going to be a huge problem for us has no substance. There is every likelihood that, based on recent form, we can get a result from those games.

Please tell me why this result has been coming? How many of our games have you actually witnessed?

If you also see them as the teams around us, why did you ask me, FFS ? I referred to Glasgows post several times where he listed them. Seems I studied English harder than you did...

If you also see them as the teams around us, why did you ask me, FFS ? I referred to Glasgows post several times where he listed them. Seems I studied English harder than you did...
Stop pretending to be so dense. You seem to think that two of the remaining three fixtures are a big problem for us? Why is that? What makes Stoke and Sunderland different from the other teams around us that we have taken valuable points from?

An please answer the question - why has this WBA result been coming?

Stop pretending to be so dense. You seem to think that two of the remaining three fixtures are a big problem for us? Why is that? What makes Stoke and Sunderland different from the other teams around us that we have taken valuable points from?

An please answer the question - why has this WBA result been coming?

I actually think all of our remaining fixtures will be a big problem for us. And I've explained why. If you assume getting the same results as the opposing fixture, we will get 1 more point. For me that is marginal. And if the last game of the season gets here and there is still a risk of us or Stoke going down, I see them taking the points. because they are simply better set up to mug a game than we are to take control of it.

The WBA result has been coming because the team already think they are safe and have stopped scoring.

I actually think all of our remaining fixtures will be a big problem for us. And I've explained why. If you assume getting the same results as the opposing fixture, we will get 1 more point. For me that is marginal. And if the last game of the season gets here and there is still a risk of us or Stoke going down, I see them taking the points. because they are simply better set up to mug a game than we are to take control of it.

The WBA result has been coming because the team already think they are safe and have stopped scoring.

Actually we scored against Swansea but it was disallowed.

There is absolutely no evidence for that. Before the WBA result, the period where you say this has been coming, we scored 8 goals in four games (against some tough opposition), and kept a clean-sheet in the two games that we failed to score in. Do you think we should be scoring in every single game? That would be nice. There is also absolutely no evidence to suggest that the team already think they are safe. In fact the rhetoric from the player interviews before this game would suggest just the opposite. This, combined with actually witnessing each of the performances since the QPR game in person, would make me tend to agree with the poster you took issue with - i.e. that the WBA was probably indeed a "bad day at the office". You seem to be basing your opinion on pure guesswork.