SAINTS 0-3 West Bromwich Albion // Post-Match Reaction

Saint-Armstrong

Personally, I'm almost pleased about this being a thrashing as hopefully it'll give the club a kick up the arse after last weeks complacency as well. I don't think we'll go down - after today I expect at least 2 more points and I don't see Wigan winning 4 straight games... Anyway, Newcastle fans are the ones that should be ****ting it - we have had a bad result, they are on a bad run...

Terrible performance. But to be honest WBA are a far better outfit than Saints, stronger, bigger, faster, tackle (we don't). They outclassed Saints and it was a marker that shows with the current setup and substitution tactics we are not going to get above 16th this season. And saints can still get relegated so the team need to pickup quickly as I cant see more than 1 draw from last games.

I think Fox played well in championship but has been struggling this season and today he should have been subbed on 10 mins, so why put Fonte on with 4 added mins, why put punch on bench and Gaston. Some strange tactics.

I just hope we don't need 1 point vs Stoke to stay up as they will batter Saints with their `Bolton/Wimbledon` style football and we can easily get another red card for that game.

39 points and even 42 is not safe in any season with 4 games to go so I think the team have all but given up on getting any more wins and think they have done enough

Out thought

Out fought

Out sung

Out supported.

West Brom had the better attack and the better defence today, they closed us down denying us the space to play our game, were more up for the 50/50 balls and gave us a wake up reality call.

Pochettino is lauded as a tactical master, but what exactly was the reasoning behind taking Cork off? Did I miss something? Was he carrying a knock? Where was the high pressing game, the closing down of players, the desire?

Only a few players came out of today's match with any credit and can hold their heads up high. It is clear that we will need major surgery to several positions if we are to advance up the division next year. On today's performance, hardly any of our players would be good enough for West Brom's team, whereas several of theirs looked better than their counterparts in our team.

And yet if they get the dressing down they deserve and decide to make a serious effort against Spurs, Wigan have shown today Spurs can be matched or even beaten. This team is an enigma under Pochettino, where they can beat the likes of Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea, but get shown up by the less highly starred teams, many of whom might not have the really expensive players, but their managers are often tactically astute when it comes to figuring out how to counter our tactics.

Pretty poor today. Wouldn't say abject. Thought we'd get a point until they hit us for 2-0.

Morgan was good. Boruc okay. Everyone else below par.

I left with 6 mins to go to cheer on Spurs. Would have got a tad nervous if Wigan had won. But we are possibly even safer now than we were at 3pm as the games are running out. No change, at worst. Wigan prob need 8 points and Villa 6 points. At least. Even assuming we lose all the last 3 games.

Watch out, you will be told to put your slippers on and relax. Your not allowed to make rational comments about safety as we are assured of safety according to some on this board.

We didn't turn up bar spider and boruc in my opinion! Have to say want into Swansea game thinking we'd do we'll buy we had no ideas up front and a couple of scary moments at the back apart from

The obvious dissalowed goal we were lucky, and today only built upon that. We wernt so much unfortunate as just unorganised and clearly ill disciplined, just desparate really!

I still think we will be safe but by no means unbeatable or champions league quality week in week out

Terrible performance. But to be honest WBA are a far better outfit than Saints, stronger, bigger, faster, tackle (we don't). They outclassed Saints and it was a marker that shows with the current setup and substitution tactics we are not going to get above 16th this season. And saints can still get relegated so the team need to pickup quickly as I cant see more than 1 draw from last games.

I think Fox played well in championship but has been struggling this season and today he should have been subbed on 10 mins, so why put Fonte on with 4 added mins, why put punch on bench and Gaston. Some strange tactics.

I just hope we don't need 1 point vs Stoke to stay up as they will batter Saints with their `Bolton/Wimbledon` style football and we can easily get another red card for that game.

39 points and even 42 is not safe in any season with 4 games to go so I think the team have all but given up on getting any more wins and think they have done enough

42 points is safe. Hope this helps. Unless you think Swansea and Fulham are in the relegation mire. Looks like one of Wigan or Villa will finish on under 38 points, tbh.

Far superior side won.

We played far too much long ball today, more than West Ham did the other week at St. Mary's.

Boruc - **** poor for the 3rd goal but stopped us from being 4-0 down inside the first half. 5/10

Clyne - Probably our best player, done well. Got forward and defended OK. 6/10

Yoshdia - Terrible and at fault for the 2nd goal. Kept their player onside and got bullied for the majority of the game. 3/10.

Jos - Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes. 3/10.

Fox - Meh. 3/10.

Cork - Good performance from him, shame he had to go off injured though. 5/10.

Morgan - Didn't do much wrong. 6/10.

Lallana - Awful, forget he was even on the pitch at times. For me he hasn't proven himself this season. 2/10.

Davis - Worked hard, terrible pass which lead to Fox being sent off though. 5/10.

Jay Rod - Didn't really do anything. 4/10.

Lambert - Probably one of his worst games in a Saints shirt. 3/10.

Ramirez - Was looking good until his sending off. ****ing idiot, wouldn't give a **** if that is the last time we see him in a Saints shirt. What the hell was he doing? He was being held back and was probably going to get given a free kick but decided to react. Overrated ****. 1/10.

Thank **** Boyce scored a late OG in the Wigan/Spurs game.

Personally, I'm almost pleased about this being a thrashing as hopefully it'll give the club a kick up the arse after last weeks complacency as well. I don't think we'll go down - after today I expect at least 2 more points and I don't see Wigan winning 4 straight games... Anyway, Newcastle fans are the ones that should be ****ting it - we have had a bad result, they are on a bad run...

I mean Frenchcastle are really in the **** and we have masses more points than them, so no worries for us as 'we are safe'

Entirely true. And perhaps a little reminder of how far we have to go yet. West Brom will probably finish no higher than 8th but their performances against us this season have been miles above our own level. Today they were better in every single department, very impressed with them.

I actually thought we played much better in the first where we had quite a few chances and dominated possession.

I don't think they're much better - the biggest difference between them and us is pace/power in one or two positions. Hopefully that's our priority in the summer.

Two draws and a loss against mid-table opposition recently is worrying, it shows we're not quite there yet. I can't see where the next point is coming from either, hopefully we'll pick something up against Spurs but with Sunderland and Stoke getting points lately, neither of them will be pushovers. I'm not concerned about going down anymore, I think we're safe enough as it is what with Wigan showing their crapness of late, but finishing 16th for example would be an anticlimactic end to the season, especially from having a top ten spot within our grasp.

Well done West Brom. Perhaps it's best for us to forget this one.

We didn't turn up bar spider and boruc in my opinion! Have to say want into Swansea game thinking we'd do we'll buy we had no ideas up front and a couple of scary moments at the back apart from

The obvious dissalowed goal we were lucky, and today only built upon that. We wernt so much unfortunate as just unorganised and clearly ill disciplined, just desparate really!

I still think we will be safe but by no means unbeatable or champions league quality week in week out

Agree - we were poor last week and today seemed a continuation. Take Lambert out of the equation and we struggle for ideas. Again our biggest threat today was Clyne who happens to be our quickest and most direct player - shame his day job is defending.

I actually thought we played much better in the first where we had quite a few chances and dominated possession.

I don't think they're much better - the biggest difference between them and us is pace/power in one or two positions. Hopefully that's our priority in the summer.

They've dicked us twice and are 5 places above us. I know people don't like to hear we aren't the greatest team to ever play association Soccerball, but they are much better than us. They beat us easily and also had 3 players missing.

They've dicked us twice and are 5 places above us. I know people don't like to hear we aren't the greatest team to ever play association Soccerball, but they are much better than us. They beat us easily and also had 3 players missing.

Yes, but they are hovering around mediocrity, had a meaningless second half of the season and didn't even try and go for the Champions League. Eurgh.

The thought of having a boring season like West Brom makes me physically sick. Saints are much, much better than that.

Out thought

Out fought

Out sung

Out supported.

West Brom had the better attack and the better defence today, they closed us down denying us the space to play our game, were more up for the 50/50 balls and gave us a wake up reality call.

Pochettino is lauded as a tactical master, but what exactly was the reasoning behind taking Cork off? Did I miss something? Was he carrying a knock? Where was the high pressing game, the closing down of players, the desire?

Only a few players came out of today's match with any credit and can hold their heads up high. It is clear that we will need major surgery to several positions if we are to advance up the division next year. On today's performance, hardly any of our players would be good enough for West Brom's team, whereas several of theirs looked better than their counterparts in our team.

And yet if they get the dressing down they deserve and decide to make a serious effort against Spurs, Wigan have shown today Spurs can be matched or even beaten. This team is an enigma under Pochettino, where they can beat the likes of Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea, but get shown up by the less highly starred teams, many of whom might not have the really expensive players, but their managers are often tactically astute when it comes to figuring out how to counter our tactics.

Seeing the light eh Wes?

Yes, but they are hovering around mediocrity, had a meaningless second half of the season and didn't even try and go for the Champions League. Eurgh.

The thought of having a boring season like West Brom makes me physically sick. Saints are much, much better than that.

I asked you earlier to back up your claims and you failed, try this one?

Two draws and a loss against mid-table opposition recently is worrying, it shows we're not quite there yet. I can't see where the next point is coming from either, hopefully we'll pick something up against Spurs but with Sunderland and Stoke getting points lately, neither of them will be pushovers. I'm not concerned about going down anymore, I think we're safe enough as it is what with Wigan showing their crapness of late, but finishing 16th for example would be an anticlimactic end to the season, especially from having a top ten spot within our grasp.

Well done West Brom. Perhaps it's best for us to forget this one.

I would rather be grasping reality than a whole 3 months of how we are a new force in Europe, its something that could be a blessing, the new plastics finally realizing we are Southampton not Barcelona, simply because we went on a jolly there.

No goals scored in 2 games. Baggies with all the possession today and pressing us in our own half without it. Was it just a lacklustre performance or have other teams worked us out under MoPo? If so, I worry that we don't have a Plan B. Maybe we just need more effective players brought in to execute the strategy.

Really not sure how I feel about things right now. I'm not usually one for knee jerking but it was men against boys today, completely out of the blue.

The team except Clyne and Morgan were shocking, but the majority of fans got what we deserved today: out sung even at 0-0. Never got behind the boys, was as embarrassing as our football. Never again after this season will I buy my season ticket anywhere but the Northam! Sat in block 2 this season and without the away fans next to us I may aswell have been stood in front of a TV and shout at it on my own!

I understand that sometimes the team needs to earn the support, but what they have achieved this season more than earns our support even if 7-0 down! I remember back at the dell, even at 2 and 3 nil down we would get behind the team and never out sung by the visiting supporters!

It sums people up when they sing 'gaston Ramirez' when he got sent off, especially after his non performances this season, but I get strange looks when i start singing 'Morgan Schneiderlin' who has been outstanding this season and our best player by a country mile today!

Was beaten by a far better side on the day, we were not even at the office today. Gotta give it to their fans were class today, love their ****take with the Mexican wave, and the funny dance they were doing, but it its easy to do that when your dicking someone on their own turf.

When and where have I ever said we're amazing? I said that we were better in the first game than today -and given the doom and gloom following that fixture, that's saying something. Agree we were beaten easily today.

But I don't think we're far off them -and certainly the gap has narrowed as the season has progressed. They remind of what Reading were in the championship in that they have pace/power which allows to get men behind the ball and break with frightening speed. We have Clyne and Jrod and that's about it.

Lukaku made a massive difference today - he alone changed the game for me.

Edited by shurlock

Was our worse home game since Wigan at home, Lambo had a few descions got against him, some leaning and pushing that went unnoticed and after that he seemed fed up and didn't do well at all today, Lallana looked lively 1st half and offered nothing 2nd half same said for Jay Rod, thats are main attacking threat gone, for some reason MP doesn't play Punch who would of offered us a bit more, for me it shows we need LB incase Shaws out and a new CB and a winger MP rate, we need more depth to compete in the top 10 of the premier league and if we sign the right 2-3 1st team players i feel we can finish top 8.

For me the whole team inc subs that came on bar these guys were 4 or 3 ratings.

MOM S.Davis.

Players that was ok Cork before he came off, Morgan Clyne and Boruc.

Most of our players have not played in the Premiership before this season, and it shows. Neither of our 2 managers have managed in the Premiership, and it shows. However with a few additions over the summer, and time pre season for the manager and coaching staff to spend plenty of time together the missing parts of the jigsaw can hopefully be found. A lot can be said for just surviving this year, and it may still be the case, but then again the majority of us pre this season would gladly have taken 17th place. A bad game today but lets look to the future.

Christ that was awful. The last 4 games I've been to were that one, Chelsea, QPR and Sunderland. I sure do pick 'em. I don't think I can remember three such abject displays of complete gash. They were just better than us all over the pitch TODAY. Haven't seen any replays of the sendings off but sounds like they were all justified. Makes you wonder if they did that deliberately with 3 games left, so they can f**k off to Barbados a month early.

With Wigan drawing it scarcely matters now. I cant see them getting 2 wins and 2 draws from their last 4 games. West Brom came here with nothing to play for either really but they seemed far more interested in the game than we ever did. No movement, no ideas. Lambert looked a bit lonely, got no help from the ref and the crosses in to him were almost always dreadful.

I'll put that down as a terrible day at the office and move on I think. We've done the business in the last 5 games so 1 duff performance isn't the end of the world. Let's hope we can get a couple of points from these 2 away games. Sunderland especially as I'm going and it is a looooooong drive home with no points to keep you warm. Mind you, we did Boro at the end of last season and Rochdale the year before and look how they panned out.

We were rubbish today and deserved to lose. Red cards were fair but we were well short all over the pitch compared to West Brom. West Brom were excellent and work harder than us and looked a threat all game. Lukaku has a big future I think.

Their fans were superb aswell and acted as my afternoon entertainment.

Just need to improve for the last few games and pick up a few more points to end the season well.

WBA came with a plan to counter our pressing, high line passing game. Play three fast physical strikers on the shoulders of the defenders. Win the ball at the back and midfield and get it straight up to the strikers to run the space behind the high line. We played the same as usual, except there was no high pressing as there was nothing to press as the ball was hit forward. Deprived of our high tempo pressing, our buildups reverted to the early season low tempo pass it around with practically no movement off the ball which allowed WBA to get 10 in front of the ball. At the same time the defence stayed square and pushed up even though it was causing us problems. I just felt we needed to back off a bit and leave less room behind the back four and play tighter in front of the back four and not allow the WBA defenders to hit the ball into space. Deprived of that target we may well have been able to press the defenders and get space behind them as they would have to be further forward. Our defenders on the halfway line couldn't exploit offsides but further back could possibly use a step up to counter the pace and through balls.

Fox is an idiot. Most blatant red card ever. In my honest opinion however I don't think Ramirez's red card is justified. He was running and you need to pump your hands. Long was constantly tugging Ramirez back and the action Ramirez made was the action you make when you are trying to shrug off an opponent who is holding onto you arm. Long just so happened to not have his arm on Ramirez in that instance and Ramirez hits him. If you watch closely his 'elbow'(which I actually feel was the face of his arm) makes contacts with Long's chest but Long flings his head backwards.

Yep that's Saints. Totally safe, no problem, aiming for the top six and missing spectacularly. Surprised, not at all - it's what we do. We won't get relegated but we need to get some realistic perspective.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Right.

We never turned up for the game until we were behind. They could have had 3 in the first 4 minutes - total mindset screw up.

Lallana - shocking, did he even complete ONE pass over 4 yards?

Sorry, but the last few games he has seemed to be a weakness.

SRL. No, he did NOT have a bad game, WBA had great tactics backed up by an inexperienced Ref. Every TELEGRAPHED long ball into SRL he had 2 WBA players on him, one holding his shirt the other out jumping him.

Could totally understand MP's "tactical" decision to replace Cork with Ramirez, he was expecting WBA to sit back and catch us on the break so made sense to bring on an attacking MF. Could have worked IF Lallana wasn't having a mare and Gaston had not had a brain fart. IMHO we would not have lost if Cork had stayed on and Adam had gone off at HT, so first error for MP there.

Although was really hacked off with that performance I did leave the pub chirpier having watched Frenchcastle get slaughtered. We were bad but thank fook we aren't Geordies tonight.

Can't see us getting points at Spuds or a resurgent Sunderland. Still think there are enough teams below us to also have bad runs BUT complacency hurt us today, let us hope it changes the mindset around the Management & the Recruitment Team before the summer.

Work to do

Right.

We never turned up for the game until we were behind. They could have had 3 in the first 4 minutes - total mindset screw up.

Lallana - shocking, did he even complete ONE pass over 4 yards?

Sorry, but the last few games he has seemed to be a weakness.

SRL. No, he did NOT have a bad game, WBA had great tactics backed up by an inexperienced Ref. Every TELEGRAPHED long ball into SRL he had 2 WBA players on him, one holding his shirt the other out jumping him.

Could totally understand MP's "tactical" decision to replace Cork with Ramirez, he was expecting WBA to sit back and catch us on the break so made sense to bring on an attacking MF. Could have worked IF Lallana wasn't having a mare and Gaston had not had a brain fart. IMHO we would not have lost if Cork had stayed on and Adam had gone off at HT, so first error for MP there.

Although was really hacked off with that performance I did leave the pub chirpier having watched Frenchcastle get slaughtered. We were bad but thank fook we aren't Geordies tonight.

Can't see us getting points at Spuds or a resurgent Sunderland. Still think there are enough teams below us to also have bad runs BUT complacency hurt us today, let us hope it changes the mindset around the Management & the Recruitment Team before the summer.

Work to do

I love Rickie, he is my favourite player, but he had a terrible game today and probably his worst in a Saints shirt. Yes West Brom defended well, but the basic striker instincts just alien to him today. It's only one game and we just have to move on quickly and forget about it. Certainly a bad day at the office.

I would have Lukaku over Benteke anyday

Me too, can't see Chelski letting him go though, very bad day at the office today, never looked together which was refelected by the crowd, which in turn seemed to send the team into a flat spin, I reckon M.P. has reamed all of them by now but will need to lift them for two difficult away games.

On the bright side. Due to heavy rain here today, our corner of Barasti saw some stunning babes walk past the telly, & I won 2 free beers.

Team was @dubaisaints today - on the beach......

Should have stayed in dubai at the bar rather than pitched up at the game! Poor performance by everyone! they look so much better on the screen in the pub! or is it the drink?

Just back from the game.

We were absolutely appalling today, West Brom could've been 3/4-0 up just in the 1st half alone if it wasn't for some great saves from Boruc.

Didn't see the Ramirez red card so can't comment, others saying it was a definite red.

Was sat close to the fox sending off and to me it looked like a yellow at most, just a 50/50 challenge and both plays just slid along next to each other in tandem, that's what I saw anyway.

Thought the whole team was poor today, particularly Rodriguez, Hooiveld, Lallana, Lambert, Ramirez and Fox.

Thought the only players that had a decent-ish game were Clyne, Davis and Schneiderlin.

Thought Lukaku was unplayable today, best player I think I've ever seen live.

The atmosphere inside the stadium was absolutely Kieron today, up there with the notoriously bad QPR/Sunderland/Wigan atmospheres earlier on in the season.

Thought we'd lose today, and I was proven correct. Think this'll be the start of our slide towards eventual relegation.

Might put a bet on Spurs 12-0 Saints for next week.

You thought we'd lose the previous 6 games as well, and were proven incorrect in all of them. :rolleyes:

The media are all over Pinocchio's midweek comments........ Talk of champions league and top 4 finishes, then humped at home by a WBA side with zero to play for.

Hopefully Tino will learn to zip it and let the football do the talking

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke had pinned up those quotes in their changing room just before the match.