Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

Just now, DT said:

Fraser is off and we’re keeping McCarthy. Club is run by morons

Well we're getting a new number one so which one do you want sat on the bench getting paid to do nothing? They're both utterly dreadful (it's just that Forster gets away with it week after week and McCarthy is ridiculed for every single little thing that goes wrong)

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Well we're getting a new number one so which one do you want sat on the bench getting paid to do nothing? They're both utterly dreadful (it's just that Forster gets away with it week after week and McCarthy is ridiculed for every single little thing that goes wrong)

Telegraph report says we’re after a number two. If McCarthy is number one I’m looking at relegation odds for next season

• Like 2

Just now, DT said:

Telegraph report says we’re after a number two. If McCarthy is number one I’m looking at relegation odds for next season

If that's the case then I'll concur with you but I don't for one minute believe it is. You also have to consider the fact that Forster has had a torrid time with us over the last 5 years or so and there's a good chance he wants to move whereas McCarthy is probably happy to play second fiddle and stay with us.

29 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

If that's the case then I'll concur with you but I don't for one minute believe it is. You also have to consider the fact that Forster has had a torrid time with us over the last 5 years or so and there's a good chance he wants to move whereas McCarthy is probably happy to play second fiddle and stay with us.

Obvously we can only start with 11 on the pitch, and for keepers it's even worse as they have no psitional flexibility, but anyone "happy" to play second fiddle in any postion should be shipped out asap. Nothing but determination to prove their worth as first choice should be acceptable.

Just now, Wurzel said:

Obvously we can only start with 11 on the pitch, and for keepers it's even worse as they have no psitional flexibility, but anyone "happy" to play second fiddle in any postion should be shipped out asap. Nothing but determination to prove their worth as first choice should be acceptable.

Personally I'd rather be paid to sit around doing nothing at Southampton than go and be a star man at say Wigan, which is probably about the level that McCarthy would end up at if he left.

Players are employees. Nothing more, nothing less.

17 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Personally I'd rather be paid to sit around doing nothing at Southampton than go and be a star man at say Wigan, which is probably about the level that McCarthy would end up at if he left.

Players are employees. Nothing more, nothing less.

He would be number two to Ben Amos at Wigan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DT said:

He would be number two to Ben Amos at Wigan

I didn't mean literally Wigan, I meant someone like that. Top of League One or bottom of The Championship. Amos is a very good keeper at that level though tbf. The Plymouth keeper is very good too. I can't remember his name but he's only 21 or something.

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I didn't mean literally Wigan, I meant someone like that. Top of League One or bottom of The Championship. Amos is a very good keeper at that level though tbf. The Plymouth keeper is very good too. I can't remember his name but he's only 21 or something.

Yeah, was only joshing

1 minute ago, DT said:

But in terms of other options I find it hard to think of a worse keeper than McCarthy. Certainly none from the Prem

Krul isn't having a good time. In general, I've been a big fan over the years but maybe him? I honestly don't think there are many worse than Forster either. Forster is better than McCarthy but if that's our benchmark, we're in trouble.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wurzel said:

I remember a Neil Moss interview, where he wanted to make the keepers spot on the bench his own. 🙂

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson

6 hours ago, DT said:

And why do you believe the Torygraph? It's a rag, and they have zero information on Saints, a bit like their knowledge of anything.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

And why do you believe the Torygraph? It's a rag, and they have zero information on Saints, a bit like their knowledge of anything.

A bit harsh Vectis. The DT may have a Tory bias but they are no worse in reporting Soccer rumours than the other Newspapers. Normal coverage about other matters, including Sport is very good.

On 26/04/2022 at 13:20, DT said:

Telegraph report says we’re after a number two. 

I don't doubt that report. McCarthy was given a new contract when he was our number 1, to be our number 1.  We'll sign a younger and cheaper keeper. Let's hope that he does a better job of replacing McCarthy than Gunn did. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't doubt that report. McCarthy was given a new contract when he was our number 1, to be our number 1.  We'll sign a younger and cheaper keeper. Let's hope that he does a better job of replacing McCarthy than Gunn did. 

Given our number one is not very good, we are effectively after someone shit. Great. 

• Like 2

On 26/04/2022 at 14:35, Bad Wolf said:

Krul isn't having a good time. In general, I've been a big fan over the years but maybe him? I honestly don't think there are many worse than Forster either. Forster is better than McCarthy but if that's our benchmark, we're in trouble.

Gareth Southgate called one of those keepers up to play for England. 

16 hours ago, DT said:

Given our number one is not very good, we are effectively after someone shit. Great. 

Younger and cheaper doesn't mean shitter. Besides, if McCarthy is as bad as you make out, then the new keeper, whoever he is, will most likely be better than him.

16 hours ago, DT said:

Gareth Southgate called one of those keepers up to play for England. 

Actually Southgate has called both of them up for England, just that one was more recently. As I said, hardly a ringing endorsement, the pool of England qualified keepers is not very deep.

I get it. Some people think McCarthy is marginally less poor than Forster. I think it's the other way around. But either way I find it disappointing that the club has a lack of ambition to actually improve here in a key position. It's a symptom of our general inability to 'kick on'. Seems a bit engrained, but I suppose when you admit you're a place where youngsters can get a chance before moving on, that comes as a side effect.

Had our financial chappy round the other day - he was with McCarthy at Reading and said even as a youngster he was sublime one moment then wishy washy all over the place the next and the one after. He said he still sees that trait when watching him between the sticks.

On 04/05/2022 at 20:37, SuperSAINT said:

Not too surprising, but Benni Smales-Braithwaite & Ramello Mitchell have both said they leaving on Instagram.

Both obviously out of contract on @Over land and sea's opening post.

As has Ethan Burnett as well

I'll update the opening post for the 22-23 season once we have something official (assuming there is something official!) - unlikely to be before the last first team match. 

• Like 1

Salary/Contract details courtesy of SalarySports.com

Age.........Per week......Per Year.......Contract
JWP..................26...........£100k...........£5.2m............6/26.
Redmond.........27.............£74k............£3.8m............6/23.
Walcott............32.............£72k............£3.7m............6/22.
Forster.............33.............£72k............£3.7m............6/22.
Bednerak.........25.............£60k........... £3.1m...........6/25.
Romeu.............29.............£59k.............£3.0m..........6/23.
Elyonoussi.......26.............£59k.............£3.0m..........6/23.
Long.................34.............£58k.............£3.0m..........6/22.
S. Armstrong...29.............£58k.............£3.0m...........6/24.
A. Armstrong...24.............£58k.............£3.0m...........6/25.
Adams.............24..............£52k............£2.7m............6/24.
McCarthy........31..............£52k.............£2.7m............6/22. (but recently extended?)
KWP.................24.............£50k.............£2.6m............6/25.
Lyanco.............24.............£50k.............£2.6m............6/25.
Stephens.........27..............£50k............£2.6m.............6/22.
Diallo................22.............£41k.............£2.1m..............6/24
Peraud.............23.............£38k.............£2.0m............6/25.
Salisu...............22.............£39k.............£2.0m............6/24.
Djneppo...........23.............£34k.............£1.7m.............6/24.
Valery...............22.............£16k..............£832k............6/23.
Tella..................21...............£9k..............£468k............6/23.
Broja..................19...............£8.5k ..........£442k............Loan.
Livramento.......18................£7k..............£364k............6/26.
Smallbone........21................£6k..............£312k.............6/24.
Simeu................19................£5.4k...........£281k.............6/24.
Caleb Watts......19................£3.4k...........£177k.............6/23.
Lancashire........32...............£1.8k.............£94k..............6/22.
H. Lewis............23...............£1.2k.............£62k..............6/22.
J. Byecroft.........19...............£1.1k..............£57k...............6/24

Total Players salaries including Youth team etc= £60m

Based on the above I am sure people will have their own views on individual players value to the club.
There are some who seem excessively well paid for their contribution and others who will expect to see an increase.
It is assumed there may be some additional payments ie appearance money, bonuses etc which may not be included within the above .
It is perhaps sobering to note that the combined salaries of Ronald, De Gea and Sancho at Man Utd total £64m!!

5 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

McCarthy........31..............£52k.............£2.7m............6/22. (but recently extended?)

Based on the above I am sure people will have their own views on individual players value to the club.
There are some who seem excessively well paid for their contribution and others who will expect to see an increase.
It is assumed there may be some additional payments ie appearance money, bonuses etc which may not be included within the above .
It is perhaps sobering to note that the combined salaries of Ronald, De Gea and Sancho at Man Utd total £64m!!

Which idiot agreed to give Walcott an annual salary of £3.7million 🙂

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 12:21, spyinthesky said:

On 07/05/2022 at 18:02, Teddeer said:

Which idiot agreed to give Walcott an annual salary of £3.7million 🙂

Interestingly, £13m of that potentially disappears on July 1st, giving power to the war chest over the summer. However, whilst that funds wages, it doesn't fund the purchase. Looking at the numbers, one sees why the Club wants to do another Livramento type deal. 

Equally, does one presume from this that everyone else is on under a grand a week? If that's the case, I'm guessing, a lot of the B team aren't picking up much more than the average national wage. Even Harry Lewis, a 'genuine' first team squad player, just about, is more than making a living, but not exactly building for his retirement.

• Like 1

Redmond and Walcott !!!! Fkin hell, no wonder they want rid of those two who are both stealing a living. No wonder Redmond is always smirking, he’s taking the piss. Whoever thought either was worth that much needs a kick up the arse.

On 03/05/2022 at 10:14, DT said:

I get it. Some people think McCarthy is marginally less poor than Forster. I think it's the other way around. But either way I find it disappointing that the club has a lack of ambition to actually improve here in a key position. It's a symptom of our general inability to 'kick on'. 

I agree. I understand that not having transfer funds perhaps limits who we can bring in, but it shouts "we don't think we can do better", "we don't trust our scouting to improve us" - I am oversimplifying things, I know.

If a player has had `three/four/five' years with us, and no bigger club has bought them in that time, is that an indication that they ain't all that, and thus rather than giving them a new contact, we should be cutting them lose rather than offer a new contract? By allowing them to leave, we open a slot for the next guy, who, rather than be just OK, could be the next big thing - and thus could make us money, not just cost us money?

If the business model is based on us buying cheap, selling high, where does a player that doesn't ever sell/provide a return on investment fit in? Or will there always be a need for `our level players' that just aren't good enough to attract offers from richer clubs?

I guess there aren't lots of buyers out there. And only the absolute very best ever get bought mid contract. Making money out of players is thus getting harder and harder. If thats the case though, should we not be picking up more out of contract players?

I am still annoyed we didn't sign Omar Richards on a free last summer, all be it Bayern Munich is a different weight class.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 12:21, spyinthesky said:

As if giving Long that 2 year extension wasn’t bad enough the guy is earning £58k a week!? Fucking hell. Don’t get me started on Bednerak and Moi either, what a joke.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Last year Saints announced their retained list on June 4th, just for reference

I think it will be earlier this year as I understand that lists need to be with PL by this Thursday.  Of course, we don’t need to announce anything straightaway but the PL will publish the lists within days 

On 26/04/2022 at 13:55, Wurzel said:

A good number two, who is happy to play the role of a number two, is actually massive. There are numerous examples of average keepers who have played massive parts in successful sides. Keeping it competitive but having the genuine means to encourage and support the number one, whilst being able to step in when needed. Two genuine number ones, which we've effectively been playing with as they are arguably both as bad as each other in some ways, can put undue pressure on and lead the acting number two to want the number one to fail. Keeper is a unique position, not like anywhere else on the pitch, and the three or four keepers in the ranks should all know their position and be very good at each part of it. Like a team, within a team.

For me, we are lacking in every department here. Rattled me when Ralph came out and explicitly said we don't and won't have a number one, and I've zero faith in our coaching either, allowing that to even be a thing. I think you'd struggle to find another example of this, especially at the level we're at. No defence would choose to operate with varying keepers. They should know each other inside out.

1 hour ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Rattled me when Ralph came out and explicitly said we don't and won't have a number one, and I've zero faith in our coaching either, allowing that to even be a thing. I think you'd struggle to find another example of this, especially at the level we're at. No defence would choose to operate with varying keepers. They should know each other inside out.

I think when Ralph said that it was an admission that he knows both keepers are incredibly limited, so keeping both on their toes may actually gain an edge in their performances and move them above absolutely shit to average. It did to a point with Fraser, but McCarthy just seems flawed.

My suspicion is that we will bring in two new keepers, and that once that happens McCarthy will be off. however, should that plan go awry, we have an insurance policy and some experience we can fall back on. Alternatively, bring in two, keep Alex, see how the new boys shape up, and look to get rid of one of them in January.

Is today the day that we announce the retained list and confirm that the five out of contract senior players are departing (or at least out of contract) and that Stephens/McCarthy did indeed  get new contracts some time ago?

Question: If we are still negotiating a potential contract, say for Long/Cabellero, would that player be on that retained list or be announced as going with Forster and Lewis? 

59 minutes ago, Chez said:

Is today the day that we announce the retained list and confirm that the five out of contract senior players are departing (or at least out of contract) and that Stephens/McCarthy did indeed  get new contracts some time ago?

Question: If we are still negotiating a potential contract, say for Long/Cabellero, would that player be on that retained list or be announced as going with Forster and Lewis? 

My understanding is that there is a deadline of today to submit retained and released lists to the PL.  We may announce something today but we don't have to announce anything - we could leave it to the PL to announce when they publish the lists in a few days' time. I suspect Liverpool will have a few days after the CL final before they have to submit their list so I doubt there will be any publication by the PL this week. 

All professional players under contract with the club will be on one list or the other.  If we are still negotiating, the player will be on the retained list with the word "Offer" alongside him.

• Like 2