Keeping Track of the Contracts

Over land and sea

On 08/06/2022 at 12:56, Saint_clark said:

Other clubs have released their retained lists... I was under the impression they had to be in by June to be honest. Any sign of ours?

Keep an eye on the PL website from 3pm today.  I believe the retained and released lists will be published then

“while talks remain ongoing with long-term servant Shane Long.”
We’ll be announcing ground naming rights with McCarthy Stone soon.

If he is staying we need to optimise his experience to getting the youngsters to do his Donkey work and he just pops up to……..score a goal.

Different times but Peter Reid did that with us, he knew he didn’t have the legs anymore and he got either young Maddison or Widrington to receive the ball arc their run up the pitch, and he told them by the time they did that he would be in the right position in the box to receive the ball back. (That was a tale from many moons ago, from a late friend who knew Reid).

2 hours ago, Over land and sea said:

Keep an eye on the PL website from 3pm today.  I believe the retained and released lists will be published then

Don’t we normally announce youth players who got released on our retained list as well?  (Or are we going to have to go through the list & work out who’s been released?!)

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Don’t we normally announce youth players who got released on our retained list as well?  (Or are we going to have to go through the list & work out who’s been released?!)

Seems bizarre that we have potentially lots of players out of contract but only bothered to mention the two keepers leaving? There's probably about 10 others on pro deals leaving.

Oliver Wright*
Matthew Hall*
Zuriel Otseh-Taiwan*
Oludare Olufunwa
Will Tizzard*
Olly Lancashire*
Jack Turner*
Shane Long
Jayden Smith*
Sam Bellis

1 hour ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

New contract for long is pathetic. Bednerak scored more last season than long has in the last 3. Joke of a Club - no holds barred my #ucking arse

Did you read the post you just quoted? It is saying the opposite and that Long's wife has said the club haven't offered him a deal!

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Did you read the post you just quoted? It is saying the opposite and that Ling's wife has said the club haven't offered him a deal!

What's a random Chinese fella's wife got to do with anything? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Oh Oh Shane, now you're in trouble, not telling the trouble and strife about your new contract negotiations. 

What's the deal with Stephens then, McCarthy's new contract showed up on some official site somewhere, but not Jack's, why don't they now at least announce what the new deals were. This is not a post about whether he deserved a new contract or not, but why don't the club announce it.

Here is the full retained list.  I’ll edit the opening post when I get a moment.  

Contracts
Abdul Karim, Mohamed Salisu          
Adams, Che Sac Everton Fred
Armitage, Will
Armstrong, Adam James       
Armstrong, Stuart      
Babic, Goran Gogo     
Ballard, Dominic        
Bednarek, Jan
Bellis, Samuel Lawrence Alexander (Offer)
Bycroft, Jack Thomas 
Caballero Lazcano, Wilfredo Daniel (Offer)
Chauke, Kgaogelo (Offer)
Diallo, Ibrahima         
Djenepo, Moussa       
Edwards, Milan Diamond Lazane      
El Younossi, Mohamed          
Evangelista Silveira Neves Vojnovic, Lyanco 
Ferry, William
Finnigan, Ryan James
Hall, Matthew
Lancashire, Oliver      
Lawrence, Nico          
Livramento, Valentino           
Long, Shane Patrick (Offer)
McCarthy, Alex Simon
Nlundulu, Dan
Olaigbe, Kazeem Aderemi J.  
Otseh-Taiwo, Zuriel   
Pambou Makaya, Leon          
Payne, Lewis James   
Pearce, Luke Edward Andrew
Perraud, Romain Paul Jean Michel    
Ramsay, Kayne           
Redmond, Nathan Daniel Jerome     
Rodriguez Borja, Jeremi Alexander   
Ross-Lang, Fedel        
Simeu, Dynel Brown Kemgo  
Small, Thierry 
Smallbone, William Anthony Patrick 
Stephens, Jack
Tella, Nathan 
Tizzard, Wiliam          
Turner, Jack   
Valery, Yan     
Vidal, Oriol Romeu     
Vokins, Jake   
Walcott, Theo James 
Walker-Peters, Kyle Leonardus         
Ward-Prowse, James Michael Edward          
Watts, Caleb Cassius  
Wright, Oliver

Scholars
Bailey, Samuel James (Offer Contract)
Beach, Edward James (Extended)
Bragg, Cameron Roger           
Carson, Matthew (Extended)
Chavez-Munoz, Ryan Jorge   
Davis, Sonnie 
Doyle, Kamari Olivier 
Hewlett, Jeremiah James       
Higgs, Tommy Lee      
Jeffries, Josh David    
Lett, Joshua Matthew
Mohamed, Adli Hatim Othman Husain         
Squires, Joshua David
Woods, Harvey James (Extended)
Wright, Rylee

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yes, some under 18s leaving make the list even longer. I wish the club just announced them all as they normally do. It is a pain to work out the full list for FM23! 

Along with the aforementioned Tshaka, it looks like Teddy Davey has been let-go. 

The club state Stephens signed his contract during the 21/22 season, yet the Athletic reported he agreed a four year deal back in the summer of 2020. Seeing as the Athletic were spot on with McCarthy, and the Long statement has been questioned by his wife, maybe they are the more reliable source:

https://theathletic.com/news/exclusive-jack-stephens-agrees-new-long-term-southampton-contract/bo8LfBeiblPj/

• Like 1

Regarding the Jack Stephens contract non announcement the club told him the announcement would be made when the club were on an upward trajectory. At the time he signed the club was not doing too well. When the club then went on their downward spiral that opportunity never arose. Quite understandably Jack Stephens thought the delay not very respectful which I am inclined to agree with. So much for transparency. 

35 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Regarding the Jack Stephens contract non announcement the club told him the announcement would be made when the club were on an upward trajectory. At the time he signed the club was not doing too well. When the club then went on their downward spiral that opportunity never arose. Quite understandably Jack Stephens thought the delay not very respectful which I am inclined to agree with. So much for transparency. 

Kind of suggestive that the club were inherently aware that it wouldn't go down 'too well', as he's clearly not amazing (ditto McCarthy), so they were hoping for a good run of form to slip that in when the fans would be less likely to react negatively. Not a good show really, like you said disrespectful to Stephens and the question remains as to why we signed him on, as a club we're clearly not enthused about it.

The only sense I can try and attribute to it would be the fact we were still owned by Gao, we didn't know what our scope would be for replacing etc - so saftey first, keep the players around who 'wanted' to be here - even though they weren't great. That's all I've got as a reason!

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Kind of suggestive that the club were inherently aware that it wouldn't go down 'too well', as he's clearly not amazing (ditto McCarthy), so they were hoping for a good run of form to slip that in when the fans would be less likely to react negatively. Not a good show really, like you said disrespectful to Stephens and the question remains as to why we signed him on, as a club we're clearly not enthused about it.

We are run pretty poorly.  Makes it more strange when fans salivate every time when Siemens talks.

4 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

The PR team seem to have a feel for how signing relatively unpopular players to new extended deals will go down with the fans.

So Ralph gives a player a new deal, the PR team is not impressed, or know any announcement will draw a negative response, so they don't bother announcing it.

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Ramello Mitchell and Benni Smaithwaite were meant to be pretty highly rated too weren't they? 

I think Mitchell dropped off this season. Not sure why but a lot of players do around that age. I saw him for the U23's and he wasn't great, gave the ball away more than he should have done and the things he tried never really came off.

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Ramello Mitchell and Benni Smaithwaite were meant to be pretty highly rated too weren't they? 

they probably were good at 16, but when the issue of extended contracts arises, some fall by the wayside....

and someone has to make a decision on the day .....you win some and lose some.

Saints have a long historical record of releasing young talents who didn't peaked by 18...

and even younger;  Kevin Phillips, and Dennis Wise were released as schoolboys long back in the 1980's. 

Into this century. Danny Ings, Tyrone MIngs, Ben White ......I'm sure there are more to come.

Rumour had it that we almost released a scrawny, under-weight teenager named Bale when he was around 14 ...

(whatever happened to him ?)

8 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Saints have a long historical record of releasing young talents who didn't peaked by 18...

and even younger;  Kevin Phillips, and Dennis Wise were released as schoolboys long back in the 1980's. 

Saints had a pretty short list of errors while Dave Merrington was the youth team manager. Wise wasn't really one of them, as Merrington recommended he get a pro contract, but McMenemy wouldn't give Wise the money he wanted in 1985.

Kevin Phillips wasn't released as a schoolboy. He did his apprenticeship (well, it was a YTS back then) but wasn't offered a professional contract in 1991. He was a good player, but he was moved to right back during those two years, which didn't suit him. He'd been a centre midfielder as an associate schoolboy, a bloody talented player and he was one of those you thought would just become a pro.  Under the current system, I think Philips would have got a pro deal. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He was born in Germany, moved to Southampton at about 7 or 8 because his mum was studying here. Played for City Central in mini soccer where he was obviously incredible. Saints picked him up and he was there for a little bit before Chelsea came in, offered the parents one of those crazy deals, took him away, put him in a posh school etc etc.

20 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

They got rid of Smales-Braithwaite because they knew he'd be out of this world and they wanted to save the fans money by not getting them to have his name printed on the back of their shirts.....

21 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Benni went on loan to a non league side this season and, I think, didn't score even once.

For a striker, that doesn't bode well for his future prospects.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 1

On 10/06/2022 at 21:36, SuperSAINT said:

Along with the aforementioned Tshaka, it looks like Teddy Davey has been let-go. 

47 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Teddy Davey is another who has been released.

Poor, MLG. Where’s the respect? 😜

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Poor, MLG. Where’s the respect? 😜

I was working through the changes in the FM online database and didn't bother checking the thread first when I found another released player. The club didn't make it easy and announce the full list which is annoying. 

So looks like 9 players released then!? 🤔 

Rooster Teeth Laughing GIF by Achievement Hunter

Edited by Matthew Le God

22 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I was working through the changes in the FM online database and didn't bother checking the thread first when I found another released player. The club didn't make it easy and announce the full list which is annoying. 

So looks like 9 players released then!? 🤔 

Rooster Teeth Laughing GIF by Achievement Hunter

It’s odd we haven’t mentioned the academy lads.

• Like 1

I'm guessing the new scholars will be announced later in June when they have finished their GCSE's. 

Pretty sure they've already filmed some stuff for it but are just waiting for the boys to have some free time before going live with the media etc.

17 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I'm guessing the new scholars will be announced later in June when they have finished their GCSE's. 

Pretty sure they've already filmed some stuff for it but are just waiting for the boys to have some free time before going live with the media etc.

Normally, it's early July.

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Or... Bazunu who is slightly older is viewed as better by Saints and Chelsea need players to fill out places in their u23 squad. 

Beach didnt appear to have a pro deal and looks like his scholarship was extended, possibly just to ensure we got some kind of fee from Chelsea.

Its possible Saints were not going to offer him a pro deal otherwise why hadn't they already?