Rickie Lambert called up for England

Saint-Armstrong

Just wanted to echo the sentiments of everyone that this is a well deserved call-up. Thoroughly chuffed for Rickie and it has come as a complete shock, though as many have already said, it shouldn't have been and should've been much earlier. I really hope he has the game of his life and does himself and the club proud. Would watch this if at home but shall be away in Austria in a little tent on Wednesday so doubt we'll get to see the match, but you never know.

From the comments Hodgson has made I'm not convinced he'll even get a game. If Rooney and Defoe are fit, they will play, Welbeck from the bench and Lambert will get 15-20 mins if he's lucky and if he doesn't score that will be the end of his England career I fear.

Hodgson is a muppet. I will reverse that opinion if he starts Lambert....

From the comments Hodgson has made I'm not convinced he'll even get a game. If Rooney and Defoe are fit, they will play, Welbeck from the bench and Lambert will get 15-20 mins if he's lucky and if he doesn't score that will be the end of his England career I fear.

Hodgson is a muppet. I will reverse that opinion if he starts Lambert....

Can't see Rooney, Defoe or Welbeck being allowed to play 90 minutes three days before the start of the season, especially with the fitness of two of those in question.

Interesting article in the Bleacher Report for the benefit of West Ham, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1732703-ricky-lamberts-england-call-gives-andy-carroll-plenty-to-ponder suggesting that Carroll's place in the England squad might be usurped if Lambert does well while he is out injured. Comparisons are made between the two players and Lambert comes out of it well. There is also a poll asking who people would prefer to see wearing the England shirt between them, which is 2 to 1 in favour of Ricky, so it seems he is the fans' popular choice too.

The press ought to be coming up with articles asking why on earth it has taken so long.

They probably will.

On Thursday morning.

Interesting article in the Bleacher Report for the benefit of West Ham, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1732703-ricky-lamberts-england-call-gives-andy-carroll-plenty-to-ponder suggesting that Carroll's place in the England squad might be usurped if Lambert does well while he is out injured. Comparisons are made between the two players and Lambert comes out of it well. There is also a poll asking who people would prefer to see wearing the England shirt between them, which is 2 to 1 in favour of Ricky, so it seems he is the fans' popular choice too.

I saw that article and it's on the West Ham page, so a fair few of those voting for Rickie could well be WHU fans.

Pleased that hes got the recognition we all know he deserves, but we also all know its a PR stunt to deflect negative attention away from Woy and the FA. Woy went on record and said Rickie is the wrong type of player for the system he wants to play. Also he wouldnt be there if Andy Carroll was fit.

I doubt he'll get on the pitch.

FWIW I actually think the above is a good post, I'm thrilled as anyone is, but alpine is right, Ricky has only been picked because the 'clique' of normal forwards arnt available.

Lets hope SRL can take this chance and now force his inclusion, he also needs another big season for saints!

I understand the concept of getting selected and another playing . Roy may just be making up numbers but for me Ricky will be with the squad he will be able to show what he can do to both Roy and the the main mafia of players with in the English squad

Richie has all the abilities commitment and an infectious and genuine personality . Unlike some in the squad . I firmly believe he will seize this opportunity and that hodgsons and co will realise that England need Rickie as a player

There's one thing getting selected, it's another thing playing. Will he actually get on the pitch? Will probably be Rooney and Defoe/Welbeck starting

I don't think he'll start. In Hodgson's interview on the BBC he stressed his need to have Rickie included to fulfil a requirement for four forwards, which for some reason resonated with me that RL will just be used for backup. I hope he gets a decent outing but I'd be amazed if he started.

Edited by The Kraken

I don't think he'll start. In Hodgson's interview on the BBC he stressed his need to have Rickie included to fulfil a requirement for four forwards, which for some reason resonated with me that RL will just be used for backup. I hope he gets a decent outing but I'd be amazed if he started.

Doesn't Rooney have a shoulder injury? I'd be surprised if Rooney starts. Given it is a friendly and given it is against Scotland I wouldn't be surprised to see Lambert getting at least a half.

I hope he does get a proper chance. I find it odd that at international level, at least with england, you earn a call up then don't get time to prove yourself, then you're out the squad. The best players can have poor games, or not get involved enough. Giving a player 5-10 minutes then writing them off seems crazy. Especially when someone like Heskey got chance after chance!

I'd love to see Lambert get 2 or 3 games with England, I'm confident he'd prove himself then, but over 5 minutes it could be difficult. Especially if teammates play long ball and assume he's just an old fashioned centre forward. He's such a good footballer, probably more in the Sheringham role dropping a bit deeper.

Ain't that true, how many times have Lampard, Gerrard & Rooney being sh17e wearing the 3 lions and they are supposed ot be our best players?

While I'm pleased to see Sir Rickie receive this prestigious recognition of his talents - indeed what a remarkable 'journey' his career has proved to be - but I'm also mindful that a disproportional number of players seem to pick up long term injuries while playing for England for some reason.

So I'm looking forward to seeing him play - and score - against the Jocks. However given our failure to sign (thus far anyway) a class striker this summer, I'll be even more happy to see RL exit the pitch still in one piece frankly.

While I'm pleased to see Sir Rickie receive this prestigious recognition of his talents - indeed what a remarkable 'journey' his career has proved to be - but I'm also mindful that a disproportional number of players seem to pick up long term injuries while playing for England for some reason.

So I'm looking forward to seeing him play - and score - against the Jocks. However given our failure to sign (thus far anyway) a class striker this summer, I'll be even more happy to see RL exit the pitch still in one piece frankly.

If he only plays the once, it's something they can't take away from him. I think Scotland is the ideal game for him and I think he;ll have a decent chance to score.

Just been discussed on Sunday Supplement. They all seemed to be in agreement it's great for Lambert and Southampton but goes to show how limited our striking options are.

Martin Lipton was adamant Rickie Lambert won't get another call up and won't score 15 goals this coming season. Again. Grant Holt was mentioned and the simple response was "he now plays for Wigan". They all said second season syndrome for strikers and there is a big step up between Championship and Premier League but a HUGE step up between Premier League and Champions League / International football.

I hate to say it but I'm in agreement. There is a reason were looking for another striker this summer. I just feel Lambert will struggle for goals this season. I don't think he'll struggle in the league performance wise, just that he'll struggle for goals.

Just been discussed on Sunday Supplement. They all seemed to be in agreement it's great for Lambert and Southampton but goes to show how limited our striking options are.

Martin Lipton was adamant Rickie Lambert won't get another call up and won't score 15 goals this coming season. Again. Grant Holt was mentioned and the simple response was "he now plays for Wigan". They all said second season syndrome for strikers and there is a big step up between Championship and Premier League but a HUGE step up between Premier League and Champions League / International football.

I hate to say it but I'm in agreement. There is a reason were looking for another striker this summer. I just feel Lambert will struggle for goals this season. I don't think he'll struggle in the league performance wise, just that he'll struggle for goals.

There are a few reasons we're looking for another striker though, mainly because we've only got lambert as a main striker and Rodriquez as a supporting striker of sorts, and then mayuka if he gets a chance. So were a bit short of strikers if lambert gets injuried.

There are a few reasons we're looking for another striker though, mainly because we've only got lambert as a main striker and Rodriquez as a supporting striker of sorts, and then mayuka if he gets a chance. So were a bit short of strikers if lambert gets injuried.

Lambert will get goals but realistically the reason we are looking for a striker is to do with the fact Lambert isnt the man to take us to the next level

Lambert will get goals but realistically the reason we are looking for a striker is to do with the fact Lambert isnt the man to take us to the next level

Or rather that he is 31 and we have been reliant on him for 4 seasons in a row now?

Or rather that he is 31 and we have been reliant on him for 4 seasons in a row now?

I have to say that I think if Lambert was Carroll's age, Carroll wouldn't be getting a look in for England. It's totally down to the fact he's played 14 of his 15 seasons outside the top flight and how he's been pigeonholed by Hodgson, who' s even said he first encountered him as a Bristol Rovers player who they considered (and overlooked) signing for Fulham after an FA Cup tie in 2008.

He's always going to be "some lower League bloke" to Woy, unless he gets the chance to prove otherwise this week - he's never going to get a better chance with Scotland missing two first choice CBs (though he could have done with Fox in their team :D).

FFS everytime I mention anything regarding Lambert people take it as a personal slight, the man is a footballer, a very good one, but a footballer paid by the club. The same as Hammond, Chaplow, Fonte etc etc etc

There comes a time that to move forward you need to improve, Lambert has proven himself in the prem but as the end of the season showed me he isnt the answer to the way we play or want to progress. We are looking at top European strikers, do you honestly think they will sign 'to give rickie a rest ?'

I love Rickie as much as the next man but I love Southampton more and realise there is no room for sentiment in football

I'll be watching this in a Scottish bar, in a reasonably rough Scottish town. If Rickie scores I'm on the tables.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/10/rickie-lambert-a-lesson-to-the-rest-of-the-primadonna-england-squad-on-how-to-be-a-footballer-3917183/

Where will you be? I'll be in Scotland on Weds evening too... both of us on the tables would make more of an impression!! :)

FFS everytime I mention anything regarding Lambert people take it as a personal slight, the man is a footballer, a very good one, but a footballer paid by the club. The same as Hammond, Chaplow, Fonte etc etc etc

There comes a time that to move forward you need to improve, Lambert has proven himself in the prem but as the end of the season showed me he isnt the answer to the way we play or want to progress. We are looking at top European strikers, do you honestly think they will sign 'to give rickie a rest ?'

I love Rickie as much as the next man but I love Southampton more and realise there is no room for sentiment in football

We are mostly in agreement, which I would take as a sign that you should just wait a season and do the "I told you so" later. At this point no-one is debating the merits of what he provides so much as just having a pop at anyone who thinks there's a better way. He's already had one astonishingly successful season considering expectations, it is a lot to ask him to maintain that level when he's no longer a surprise and playing in a system opponents are already familiar with now.

Much as Lambert has done for Saints, we can't keep relying on him at his age and hoping he doesn't get injured, either - all the sports science in the world isn't going to give him the recovery rate of a teenager when he does finally get a knock.

The current system now suits him for scoring goals because he's usually already high up the pitch and near the goal when we win the ball, but it expects more work than he can deliver in terms of pressing - it would be very interesting to see what it would look like with him in the hole and someone else who can hold a ball and run in behind playing up top. You may note this means I'm starting to write off Ramirez after a year of hoping he'd come good...

Then again, my Fantasy Football record shows I'm always a year ahead of the curve on this stuff (or "too quick to write older players off/to expect youth to be ready" if you want to look at it another way) and here's both of them in one post. ;)

Decided to break cover... tin hat on.

I hate that expression, of course there is. Without sentiment there would be no cult heroes, no tradition, and the youth would have no-one to aspire to as the senior pros would leave after 2-3 years. Even if you argue that football is a business you'll be hard pressed to find one with no sentimentality towards employees.

I don't agree with that at all. In fact if you consider the variety of his goals it is easy to see how he can get around 15 again. I wouldn't be surprised to see this: 5 penalties, 2 free-kicks, 4 headers and 4 shots including one or two belters.

The man scores goals. He's done it at every level and unlike some who rely solely on pace, playing on the shoulder of the last man etc. he genuinely is able to conjur goals from just about any opportunity.

A lot fo fans seem to forget how effective Lambert is until he actually plays.

Of course the strange thing is in the WBA "opposition view" thread, there's not a single person who hasn't said "we need a striker", which suggests that the people prepared to think about it and put their opinions into a structured sentence rather than just knee-jerk react on a post-by-post basis actually agree that we do need someone else to come in up front.

Of course the strange thing is in the WBA "opposition view" thread, there's not a single person who hasn't said "we need a striker", which suggests that the people prepared to think about it and put their opinions into a structured sentence rather than just knee-jerk react on a post-by-post basis actually agree that we do need someone else to come in up front.

check again! Lambart ain't the weakest player in our first XI so I ain't calling for his head! Why do 9s and Smirkings hate Lambart so much? Poor Lambart.

check again! Lambart ain't the weakest player in our first XI so I ain't calling for his head! Why do 9s and Smirkings hate Lambart so much? Poor Lambart.

Thanks Bear, your support is always appreciated. I had assumed you had mentioned it somewhere on your probably virus-ridden blog. :D

I hate that expression, of course there is. Without sentiment there would be no cult heroes, no tradition, and the youth would have no-one to aspire to as the senior pros would leave after 2-3 years. Even if you argue that football is a business you'll be hard pressed to find one with no sentimentality towards employees.

You know what I meant, you are just making an arguement out of pedantry.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})