PRE-SEASON: Southampton vs Real Sociedad - (15:00 kick-off @ St Mary's Stadium)

Saint-Armstrong

Wanyama was a class act today.. so so good.

Will be a good player for us this season. We have so many options in midfield now. Think we will actually be ok up front until January at least. Really think we need another addition in defence.

Just got back. Our first choice 11 is going to be pretty tough to beat as long as we can keep them all fit (Shaw!). Chambers was getting pulled out of position quite a bit but I think that this is just slight inexperience, lets put it this way he is already better than Fox on the other side. Lambert was quiet, but to be fair if you had been handed a dream start for your country would you be throwing yourself into the thick of it 3 days before. I wonder if this is why it got a little bit *****slaps, maybe he felt the guy was getting a bit too keen in the tackles.

Wanyama is a beast. Lallana was quality today and at his best, but consistency will be the key to shut up the critics. Hate to say, although I think he is a legend, that Kelvin has had his day, and needs to stay as club captain behind the scenes. Isgrove and Puncheon deserve regular places on the bench. Puncheon is going to be our super sub, the game looked dead and suddenly exploded with his injection of movement and link up play.

I have been someone clamouring for Gaston to be given a chance this season to show what he can do, I stand by this, but credit where it's due; based on todays performance together with all the online games that I was able to get streams of I believe that Guly deserves to start the game at West Brom ahead of Gaston, admittedly this is probably what we will see anyway with the international game's being so close to prem kick off, but I genuinely believe that Guly is doing a better job than Gaston at playing the link up in the hole. Don't get me wrong Gaston has shown again today that he can play a pass and has flair but he so often doesn't do the simple things in the position and Guly does and it kept the ball at a Saints players feet.

Altogether we dominated them in the first half with our best team, we let sloppy goals in (again) and the vast swathe of changes led to the drop of momentum in the second half, but from the first goal the result never felt much in doubt. Very encouraging and the moral boost of winning this one shouldn't be underestimated, looking forward to the trip to West Brom.

all imho of course...

I believe that Guly deserves to start the game at West Brom ahead of Gaston, admittedly this is probably what we will see anyway with the international game's being so close to prem kick off, but I genuinely believe that Guly is doing a better job than Gaston at playing the link up in the hole. Don't get me wrong Gaston has shown again today that he can play a pass and has flair but he so often doesn't do the simple things in the position and Guly does and it kept the ball at a Saints players feet.

Spot on.

Just back from the game, which I thoroughly enjoyed for what it was: a chance to see the majority of our 25-man squad and new signings.

Boruc: Ever confident to receive the pass from his defence. Made a few saves of note and wasn't at particular fault for their two first-half goals. 6.

Chambers: Good display and played without nerves, but would have to improve if he is to get regular games this season, which I think he could with game time. 6.

Shaw: Only played the first 35 or so due to a knock to his left leg, but was strong attacking down the left flank and linked with Rodriguez excellently. 6.

Lovren: Clearly a different class to our other centre-backs. Commanded the back four well. 8.

Hooiveld: Looked comfortable between Shaw and Lovren and scored with a neat header. 7.

Wanyama: Calm, sometimes too calm; strong, efficiently not recklessly; and had a variety of passes in his portfolio, which dispersed play well in the middle. Assist for Morgan. 8.

Schneiderlin: Played with authority. Joined attacks frequently and looked comfortable with Wanyama as his partner. Scored the third. 8.

Rodriguez: Ran at his right back excellently, tirelessly pressured the back four and generally worked hard. I think he'll be pivotal in us pressuring high up the field this season. Did himself no harm with Roy in the crowd either. 7.

Lallana: I know it was just a friendly, but if he can regularly play like he did today in the PL then the boo boys will shut up quickly. Good goal, intricate link up. 8.

Guly: Covered for Chambers well in terms of work rate, but lacked any defensive awareness in the build up to RS' first goal iirc. Was good going forward and passed well. 6.

Lambert: Apart from his moment of madness, he was his usual impressive self. Was on top form and has clearly no lasting effects from the end of last season. Looked very sharp. 7.

Davis: Near-post. 5.

Fonte: Did ok. Nothing spectacular. 6.

Maya: Confident with the ball at his feet and carrying out of defence. 7.

Fox: Not as bad as some would like to make out, but certainly not good enough for a run of games at LB. 6.

Cork: Little difference between him and Chambers, really. Made one blunder but luckily didn't cost us. 6.

Isgrove: Didn't look as impressive as he has done this preseason, but warrants a place in the 25 unless we sign another attacking player. 6.

Davis: Constantly pressuring, endless work and maintains possession. PL standard Hammond. 6.

Ramirez: Does the odd turn/shuffle/feint which excites but too often followed it up with a wayward pass. 6.

Puncheon: Gave us another dimension when he came on. Typical Puncheon performance cutting in from the right and running at defenders on his left. Got the winner. 7.

Mayuka: Didn't do anything wrong or play badly but didn't really do anything positive either. 5.

For those of you that don't know/remember/care I am a ballboy at the club, despite being far too old (20 this season, but they keep asking me back and its cheaper than a season ticket!) I've been doing it for four years now so a familiar face to some of the longer-serving staff and players. Was speaking to a few of them today and the general consensus was that we are a striker short of a top ten finish but they did confirm we are in the market for one still. No names were mentioned.

:)

http://audioboo.fm/boos/1542824

MP's reaction. At the end they ask him if he is whether we are working to get new players in before WBA or just working to sign players before the window closes then the interview cuts out just as MP is about to answer.

Adam Blackmore@bigadamsport5m

Sorry for audioboo int with #saintsfc boss cutting early - not planned ! He said little in reply to question - only that he has til 31st !

I think Rickie's moment of madness was sparked by a bit of a headbutt from the Sociedad player.

I was in the Northam and It looked like they were having some verbals after Rickie was penalised for pulling the defenders shirt. The verbals continued, they got closer together and the defender chucked his head in a bit.

That sparked Rickie up and he started with the pushing. When the other players got involved to break it up Rickie pointed at his head a few times as if to say "he threw a headbut".

Isgrove: Didn't look as impressive as he has done this preseason, but warrants a place in the 25 unless we sign another attacking player. 6.

Pretty sure Isgrove doesn't take up a place in the 25 due to his age.

all round good review and read, glad to here Lambert and Lallana had good games!

Did JWP get game time?

Further changes were made on 62 minutes for both teams, as Antonie Griezmann replaced Chori Castro for the visitors, whilst Maya Yoshida, Jack Cork and James Ward-Prowse all came on in place of Lovren, Chambers and Wanyama for Saints.

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/saints-4-3-real-sociedad-report-983343.aspx#BQMAmPKBJqmcflHG.99

First half we looked quite good- Lovren and VW look really good signings. Lallana played well, JRod looks sharp and MS looked class. Second half we lost our way a bit with the changes. K Davis was pretty poor, Fox not good enough and we looked very average until Punch came on. Overall I would say if we can field our strongest team, we can push for the top half of the table, but the team we had out in the second half would be in another relegation battle. Need another CB and a LB minimum IMO if we really are going to kick on. If we start with a back 4 of Fox, Jos, Lovren and Chambers, we will get stuffed at WBA I reckon.

Personally I'm quite happy with our central defenders. All 4 looked decent enough today. The first goal we conceded I would put down to Chambers being a bit naive positionally, which will come with experience. The second a bit of a lottery with the ball bouncing across in front of the goal. The third was a combination of not closing down in the middle, fox not blocking the shot and Kelvin pulling out his near post trick from the League 1 days.

Going forward we look decent. We need another striker and I'm still not convinced by Mayuka. On the upside Rickie and JRod looked decent and Lallana and Guly seemed more effective than they did for large periods of last season.

Good news in midfield too. Morgan and Wanyama have the making of a world class partnership for years to come. Puncheon looked a real live wire when he came on and deserved his goal for a lot of decent work in the build up. That song will haunt him for the rest of his career. His tombstone will read, 'here lies Jason Puncheon. He shat when he wanted'.

Enjoyed the game but if this is a foretaste of the season we'll both score and concede shedloads of goals. Some of the pressing was extreme - on more than one occasion there were 21 players in RS's half. This does make us vulnerable to quick counter-attacks - RS's 2nd goal in particular highlighted the problem when a pass was played to their wide left and no Saints player within 30 yards.

Stand-out players for me were Guly, Morgan, Wanyama. Guly in particular showed immense application; he's either fitter than previous seasons or he knew he would be substituted and was therefore prepared to burn himself out in the first half.

My champagne moment was Lambert's pass to Adam for the first goal - truly a thing of beauty.

I also enjoyed the injection of pace when Isgrove, Mayuka and Puncheon arrived on the scene - this revived a game that had gently subsided into mid-field lethargy.

Finally I was at the Udinese pre-season match last year at this time - we do look immeasurably better this year. I look forward to the season with keen anticipation.

Cork at right back just doesn't work - but then again it never has done. I remember him playing there in L1 days - the net result was that the right Centre Back was regularly pulled out to cover the position leaving us vulnerable to a cross into the centre.

Disappointed with Gaston; I would have thought he would be able to showcase his skills given more time and space than he'll get in the Premiership - it just didn't happen. Extractum Digitatum Gaston or you won't be adding much value to the Saints in 2013/14.

Enjoyed the game but if this is a foretaste of the season we'll both score and concede shedloads of goals. Some of the pressing was extreme - on more than one occasion there were 21 players in RS's half. This does make us vulnerable to quick counter-attacks - RS's 2nd goal in particular highlighted the problem when a pass was played to their wide left and no Saints player within 30 yards.

Stand-out players for me were Guly, Morgan, Wanyama. Guly in particular showed immense application; he's either fitter than previous seasons or he knew he would be substituted and was therefore prepared to burn himself out in the first half.

My champagne moment was Lambert's pass to Adam for the first goal - truly a thing of beauty.

I also enjoyed the injection of pace when Isgrove, Mayuka and Puncheon arrived on the scene - this revived a game that had gently subsided into mid-field lethargy.

Finally I was at the Udinese pre-season match last year at this time - we do look immeasurably better this year. I look forward to the season with keen anticipation.

Cork at right back just doesn't work - but then again it never has done. I remember him playing there in L1 days - the net result was that the right Centre Back was regularly pulled out to cover the position leaving us vulnerable to a cross into the centre.

Disappointed with Gaston; I would have thought he would be able to showcase his skills given more time and space than he'll get in the Premiership - it just didn't happen. Extractum Digitatum Gaston or you won't be adding much value to the Saints in 2013/14.

Cork in league 1 ? I thought he was solid as usual

The worrying injury to (the excellent) Luke Shaw aside, this was a enjoyable and entertaining match considering it was little more than another low pressure preseason 'run out' in truth. In many ways a typical latter day Saints performance this, we pressed the ball with real intent and quality, got forward well as a unit and created plenty of chances - only to fail to converted nearly as many of them as we should! The (4-3) result was unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but it's always better to win I suppose - and we did.

What I liked:

1 - Victor Wanyama. Did we only sign one player of this name because he seemed to be everywhere you looked on the pitch? Good vision, a tireless tackler and as keen as mustard. A proper player this lad and a PL midfield star in the making maybe.

2 - Rickie Lambert. His audacious attempt at chipping the keeper from near the half way line was a wonder to see - so close to a unforgettable moment. Unusually he lost his cool badly a little later mind you.

3 - Jay Rodriguez and Adam Lallana. Both these players looked off the pace at times last season I though. Well the summer must have done them both a power of good because they looked back to their very best today. Sorry Roger but Lallana my MOTM.

4 - Morgan Schneiderlin - If you are paying attention this player just oozes class every time you see him. Could play for any team in this division in my view.

5 - Maya Yoshida. Never a worry is he?

Honorable mentions:

1 - Jason Puncheon. Unlike some of our other substitutes JP made damn sure he left his mark on this game when he came on late. You can tell he thinks he should be starting every game, and sometimes methinks he may well be right.

2 - Guly do Prado. To be frank I'm not his biggest fan - to put it mildly - but fair goes he was pretty decent in the first half today.

3 - Jack Cork. Replaced Chambers at RB and did well there. Such a gifted footballer it seems a terrible waste not to find some place for him in the starting 11 if Wanyama replaces him in Centre Midfield.

4 - Calum Chambers. A big strong lad who - for the most part - seemed perfectly at home playing in the first team. So the next one off our ever productive youth team factory then? Well I hope so, but youthful inexperience led to him being caught out of position more than once, so let's just wait and see.

Not quite so impressive:

1 - Gaston Rameirez. He came on at half time but - a few nice touches aside - didn't do nearly enough for me. He allowed a opposition runner to go past him with ease who then went on to score of course.

2 - Danny Fox. One of those dangerous/stupid sliding tackles earned him a well deserved yellow card that might have been red in a proper game. I just don't think he's got the brain for playing at this level.

3 - Dejan Lovren. Early days and not a bad performance by any means. However I can't honestly say this (v expensive) player left all that much of an positive impression on this fan today. Reputations mean nothing in this game and he has to do rather more to earn a starting place ahead of decent defenders such as Fonte or Hooiveld if you ask me.

Conclusions.

We still may need a quality striker to help lift burden off SRL's shoulders and if Shaw's injury is serious then the RB position will require attention too. Having said all that I honesty think we're in much better shape than we were 12 months ago. So we can look forward to the new season with a sense of real optimism I reckon.

Let's hope it lasts this time ...

A good day out. A few top of head thoughts...

Wanyama and Morgan worked well together. Will surely be one of the best defensive midfield combos in the premier league this season.

Shaw looked much more threatening going forward than last season. Will be a massive loss if out for an extended period.

JRod would be an excellent striker if someone could persuade him to lift the ball over the keep when one-on-one rather than blast it straight at him all the time...

Lambert does so much more than act as a target man. Hopefully the rest of the country will see that on Wednesday.

Lallana had a good game although there were still a couple of occasions where he wanted one touch too many IMO.

Chambers looked assured in the right back role. Just needs to watch his positioning a few times.

Lovren is our best CB by quite a way, although the other 3 acquitted themselves well.

Boruc is a quality keeper; Davis doesn't inspire the same confidence.

Guly had a great game. Much more suited to the way Pochettino wants the midfield to play than Ramirez.

Ramirez frustrated as much as he inspired as usual. But I still feel we need to accommodate him as every team needs someone who can inject a touch of class every now and then. I'm still convinced he'll come good this season but understand why others don't think so.

Puncheon added much needed energy into the attack when he came on. A good option to have on the bench.

Isgrove and JWP were effective if not spectacular. Good to see players of this age blending into the team nicely.

Feel a bit sorry for Cork - a right back cameo is not utilising his talents but with Wanyama and Morgan working so well together its difficult to see Cork getting much opportunity until one of those guys gets injured or suspended. Still, means we have a higher quality bench compared to last season.

Fox did an adequate job when he came on but he's the only player on the field that gives me the willies with his relatively poor positional play. I'm not a fox basher but would feel uncomfortable him being our first choice on the absence of Shaw.

Mayuka and Davis didn't really register on my attention radar so I guess neither shone nor had a mare.

Did I miss anyone out?!

In summary, we're definitely heading for a top half finish IMO and we're a quality striker signing away from pushing for top third.

P.s. the Real Sociadad number 11 was an utter buffoon :)

Edited by trousers

I thought that goal was a bit unfortunate as I don't think it was an actual pass; just that the ball looped up high and wide out of a tackle, and all a bit unexpected. Their first goal was after some penalty area pinball and we should have done better and the last was Davis' near post again.., so I live in hopes of improvement.

Wanyama looks the business, Lovren a bit slow but a great saving tackle and you can see why we haven't bought a back up to Clyne. The real disappointment was Gaston, and Cork only looked comfortable more forward and not when he was defending. Guly looked much more interested than last season, and his body language was better, although he's always worked hard.

An enjoyable game; Lallana actually shooting well for his goal, Morgan swapping the ball from one foot away from the keeper and finishing with his left and Hoiiveld's I don't think from Lallana's free kick but keeping it down well when it came out to him from a defender's clearance.

A good day out. A few top of head thoughts...

Wanyama and Morgan worked well together. Will surely be one of the best defensive midfield combos in the premier league this season.

Shaw looked much more threatening going forward than last season. Will be a massive loss if out for an extended period.

JRod would be an excellent striker if someone could persuade him to lift the ball over the keep when one-on-one rather than blast it straight at him all the time...

Lambert does so much more than act as a target man. Hopefully the rest of the country will see that on Wednesday.

Lallana had a good game although there were still a couple of occasions where he wanted one touch too many IMO.

Chambers looked assured in the right back role. Just needs to watch his positioning a few times.

Lovren is our best CB by quite a way, although the other 3 acquitted themselves well.

Boruc is a quality keeper; Davis doesn't inspire the same confidence.

Guly had a great game. Much more suited to the way Pochettino wants the midfield to play than Ramirez.

Ramirez frustrated as much as he inspired as usual. But I still feel we need to accommodate him as every team needs someone who can inject a touch of class every now and then. I'm still convinced he'll come good this season but understand why others don't think so.

Puncheon added much needed energy into the attack when he came on. A good option to have on the bench.

Isgrove and JWP were effective if not spectacular. Good to see players of this age blending into the team nicely.

Feel a bit sorry for Cork - a right back cameo is not utilising his talents but with Wanyama and Morgan working so well together its difficult to see Cork getting much opportunity until one of those guys gets injured or suspended. Still, means we have a higher quality bench compared to last season.

Fox did an adequate job when he came on but he's the only player on the field that gives me the willies with his relatively poor positional play. I'm not a fox basher but would feel uncomfortable him being our first choice on the absence of Shaw.

Mayuka and Davis didn't really register on my attention radar so I guess neither shone nor had a mare.

Did I miss anyone out?!

In summary, we're definitely heading for a top half finish IMO and we're a quality striker signing away from pushing for top third.

P.s. the Real Sociadad number 11 was an utter buffoon :)

Disagree. Our squad isn't strong enough yet. Next season maybe, this one no.

Just back from the match. Overall, I'd say that we were good value for the win, which considering the quality of the opposition is most encouraging. We played better in the first half and I believe that most of that line-up will be the preferred starters next week.

Clyne will hopefully come back soon, but Chambers didn't do too badly in his place. Lovren and Wanyama also looked to be slotting in quite nicely too. Wanyama is a very big commanding player and held the ball up well and generally delivered it well to his team mates, doing the simple stuff well. Over the course of the match my impressions were that Rodrigues was very sharp and caused them a lot of problems. Ricky was OK, but there was a bit of a ruck involving him and a defender where Ricky pushed him with both hands in the chest a couple of times. The referee consulted the linesman and eventually he gave them each a card, but what was Ricky thinking? Schneiderlin also had an excellent game with 3 or 4 superb long cross pitch passes to set up attacks and also his usual array of tackles, blocks and interceptions. Rodrigues and Ward-Prowse both had decent long range shots on target, the one by Rodrigues particularly audacious and had the goallie back-peddling.

With all of the second half substitutions, the game had lost impetus by half way through the second half and just as I was thinking that we lacked pace out wide, on come Puncheon, Isgrove and Mayuka! Puncheon in particular was the player to really make a difference as he is prepared to run at players with the ball at his feet, attack the box and cause defenders problems. There was a superb save by Boruc early on which should have been a goal for Real, but equally there was one of our shots cleared off the line and a couple of increbible last ditch tackles, one from Lovren and another from one of their defenders where if either had not been timed to perfection, either a goal or a penalty would have ensued. A bad defensive mistake from the usually reliable Cork should have handed them a goal on a plate, but the missed shot was comic. So the match might even have produced another two or three goals.

Shaw going off injured again is a bit of a worry, but Fox didn't do too badly in his place, although RS's style of play included several early balls hit long to their pacey forwards and as a tactic, I thought that Fox would have been done for pace, but thankfully that never happened.

Overall, very encouraging that during pre-season we have played some Champions League teams and given a good account of ourselves. Friendly matches don't mean that much, but equally the teams we beat would have been playing to win themselves.

no mention of Ramirez's contribution?

Armstrong, are you intending to do one of these for games during the season too?

I wasn't, no, as I'd imagine the current format would be a bit boring due to most people already knowing a lot about the Premier League clubs.

For starters, the anthem section has been dropped even for the pre-season games due to not finding an official anthem for many clubs.

Then, the stadium talk would be a bit boring if it's a place everyone knows. The kit, well, the same again really.

I could do the backstory of the club and discuss their most successful period, but that's about it before I'd be pressed for original content.

If anyone has an idea or just wants the backstory, let me know.

I wasn't, no, as I'd imagine the current format would be a bit boring due to most people already knowing a lot about the Premier League clubs.

For starters, the anthem section has been dropped even for the pre-season games due to not finding an official anthem for many clubs.

Then, the stadium talk would be a bit boring if it's a place everyone knows. The kit, well, the same again really.

I could do the backstory of the club and discuss their most successful period, but that's about it before I'd be pressed for original content.

If anyone has an idea or just wants the backstory, let me know.

Our recent history against them would be interesting, plus maybe key players/missing players for them?

Having just got back home and reflected on the train journey back with a Spurs mate ... Wanyama will be awesome this season. Everything he did was spot on and he's a good physical presence. Morgan's passing was lovely too today.

Biggest disappointment was Gaston, again. I just don't get him, what am I missing?

Chambers was very competent at right back and actually, better than Fox was at left back - apologies to those who like Fox, but it was true.

My opinion on today's game, for those that care....

Overall I thought we played well and looked like a solid mid table side. That said, there were some worrying frailties at the back.

I the first half Guly, Lallana, Lambert and Jay Rod were very fluid. Lambert's starting position was the most advanced but he was dropping into the hole and the other three were running off him. It caused the oppo some problems and was very effective. If your "number 10" is retreating from an advanced position then they will either have a lot of time on the ball (if the oppo let them go) or there will naturally be a gap in defence to exploit (if the oppo go with him). If you then find that player with good passes and they have ability then they will cause problems. This worked very well in the first half. If we sign another top striker then it's just as true to say that Ramirez is competing for a place as much as Lambert as he has proved he can play a deeper role and create chances for the others.

Lallana and Guly were very industrious. I till think Puncheon offers more of a threat than either though.

Rodriguez was very good. Physically, he has everything. He reminds me a bit of Collymore. He can be a big player for Saints over the next few seasons?

Morgan was Morgan. Excellent and proved that a goal threat is a genuine part of his game now. Think he might have messed up for one of their goals though.

Wanyama was good. He made some good tackles and looked decent enough on the ball. Even if he has a bad touch he makes sure he protects the ball and he's not easy to get round! I'm not sure he is much of an upgrade on Cork but he should be a useful player to have.

I thought Lovren looked very good. Hard to judge a centre back until you've seen them against an array of forwards but he looked good on the ball and his positioning and timing was solid. I think he and Yoshida could be a very good partnership.

Chambers was quite impressive although needs to work on awareness.

Can't be araes to comment on all the subs!

The main concern was that we gave away very avoidable goals, largely due to poor concentration. Hopefully these are individual blips that we are getting out of the way in preseason. It's a bit of a worry though that we might be missing Shaw, Clyne and Yoshida next week.

How many of our players have played a full 90mins in pre-season? I can only think of Cork and maybe Chambers?

Sounds like quite a good pre-season in that case. Able to rotate the entire squad and give everyone minutes, exactly how it should be. Don't think pre-season games should be seen as a definite opportunity for anyone to get 90mins.

The majority all have some mid-week minutes with their international sides as well.

I think our pre-season has been very nicely structured this year. Good results, good prep, good teams, and a genuine improvement in the side from game to game.

no mention of Ramirez's contribution?

I wasn't that impressed with him today, to be honest. He showed some nice touches, but also lost the ball with misplaced passes several times. There certainly should be a place in the team for a player of his undoubted talent, but there are now other options amongst the team that seem to suit Pochettino's style of play. Lallana when on form like today for instance. Or Davis is effective playing just behind a striker high up as a ball winner. Puncheon showed more flair than Ramirez today and was prepared to take on defenders in the box. Or even Schneiderlin playing high up the field is also very effective in that role.

I wasn't that impressed with him today, to be honest. He showed some nice touches, but also lost the ball with misplaced passes several times. There certainly should be a place in the team for a player of his undoubted talent, but there are now other options amongst the team that seem to suit Pochettino's style of play. Lallana when on form like today for instance. Or Davis is effective playing just behind a striker high up as a ball winner. Puncheon showed more flair than Ramirez today and was prepared to take on defenders in the box. Or even Schneiderlin playing high up the field is also very effective in that role.

I want him to be a success so much, but I just can't see it. I don't know what he does, or what he can offer. He would be no where near my starting 11 at the moment, at least 2 players should be ahead of him. He has a lot of work to do. He doesn't even look interested anymore.

]I wasn't that impressed with him today' date=' to be honest. He showed some nice touches, but also lost the ball with misplaced passes several times[/b']. There certainly should be a place in the team for a player of his undoubted talent, but there are now other options amongst the team that seem to suit Pochettino's style of play. Lallana when on form like today for instance. Or Davis is effective playing just behind a striker high up as a ball winner. Puncheon showed more flair than Ramirez today and was prepared to take on defenders in the box. Or even Schneiderlin playing high up the field is also very effective in that role.

That sums him up last season.. really hoping for an improvement this season

Sounds like quite a good pre-season in that case. Able to rotate the entire squad and give everyone minutes, exactly how it should be. Don't think pre-season games should be seen as a definite opportunity for anyone to get 90mins.

The majority all have some mid-week minutes with their international sides as well.

I think our pre-season has been very nicely structured this year. Good results, good prep, good teams, and a genuine improvement in the side from game to game.

Just thought the best prep for playing a full 90mins would be to play a full 90mins. Sure the powers that be know what they're doing.

Just watched the highlights,we looked very shaky at the back they really should not of scored any of the 3 goals that they did

The 3 goals were down to errors unfortunately. The 1st was the worst, so many opportunities to clear it, yet it was panic stations - as we saw so many times last year.

only just over 8,000 attendance. Think they overpriced this game for adults who had thought about turning up on the day, £20 a bit steep for a friendly, when cup games against lower opposition are generally cheaper than this in the early rounds.

£10 would have been closer to what they should have charged. Prior commitments stopped me going, so I suppose even at that price I wouldn't have been able to add to this total.