Clattenburg under investigation after Southampton accuse him of abusing Adam Lallana

Saint-Armstrong

According to The Secret Footballer, Clattenburg likes to refer to players by nicknames. So he referred to John Obi Mikel as 'Mikey' - which was misheard as Monkey.

Which makes him a complete idiot rather than a racist.

Would be interesting to know what he said to AL.

According to The Secret Footballer, Clattenburg likes to refer to players by nicknames. So he referred to John Obi Mikel as 'Mikey' - which was misheard as Monkey.

Some refs are starstruck with certain players & want to be their mates. A ref shouldn't call a player by a nickname, it should either be 'Mr. whoever' or just plan 'feller'.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

My boy calls him Banana, so maybe that was it.

Trouble is it won't get that penalty or the point we might have gained. On the other hand, no complaint, next time he referees us he might give us a decision in our favour to even things up?? Who knows….

as in the case of Everton you mean, gave some horrendous decisions against them in 2007 and last week he made up for them.

Footballers can be a bit precious at times. 'Oh the ref said a nasty word to me', after you've just called him every swear word under the sun. Not saying Adam did but it happens in most cases.

I always thought you were sent off for swearing at or insulting the ref. That was the case when I used to play (along time ago granted).

No. Mr Diamond has a job. :D

And a life I guess.

Back to the thread...

Everton boss Roberto Martinez said: "I thought Mark Clattenburg had a very good game in terms of controlling the players and showing a great manner, and I'm quite surprised."

I'm sure you did Roberto.

Edited by Greenridge

Hopefully, the least we get out of this is that Clattenburg is appointed to a lot less of our games, ideally none.

It's not that the rest of them are buzzing hives of refereeing efficiency but that Clattenburg does seem to make regular attempts to decide the result of our matches, and not in our favour (Norwich, Arsenal, Everton).

Just as hopefully, the other referees will no longer see us as a team willing to take bad decisions in the nuts without a whimper.

Hopefully, the least we get out of this is that Clattenburg is appointed to a lot less of our games, ideally none.

It's not that the rest of them are buzzing hives of refereeing efficiency but that Clattenburg does seem to make regular attempts to decide the result of our matches, and not in our favour (Norwich, Arsenal, Everton).

Just as hopefully, the other referees will no longer see us as a team willing to take bad decisions in the nuts without a whimper.

Or Just give us the even more sH1ttier end of the stick for daring to question the moral standing of one of their own!

Or Just give us the even more sH1ttier end of the stick for daring to question the moral standing of one of their own!

Always a possibility with that kind of stick-together fraternity, but my hunch is that it will work more for us than against us.

I couldn't stand Dermot Gallagher as a referee but I have a much higher regard for him since he moved to a TV role, and it's actually quite comforting to have him there because he is willing to call them out when he thinks they're wrong.

Difference between a player giving abuse to a ref and the ref giving it back is significant.

Player gives it out and yeah, it's bad and should be punished, but it doesn't make you question whether the player is doing their job.

If a ref gets personal about insulting a player, you have to question whether they're going to be impartial after that. A ref at the very top level of the game NEEDS to be above that.

Difference between a player giving abuse to a ref and the ref giving it back is significant.

Player gives it out and yeah, it's bad and should be punished, but it doesn't make you question whether the player is doing their job.

If a ref gets personal about insulting a player, you have to question whether they're going to be impartial after that. A ref at the very top level of the game NEEDS to be above that.

Indeed. In the same way you wouldn't expect a teacher to react in the same way as a pupil. Ye olde "two wrongs don't make a right"...

that's a personal reflection and not a world ending insult to be honest, if we've gone to the FA for that we're going to look like mugs.

When it comes straight after turning down an absolute stonewall penalty then I think the player is entitled to be annoyed.

If the decision had been correct then its not so bad, but Clattenburg should focus on making good decisions rather than snide comments.

When it comes straight after turning down an absolute stonewall penalty then I think the player is entitled to be annoyed.

If the decision had been correct then its not so bad, but Clattenburg should focus on making good decisions rather than snide comments.

it's not even a snide comment, if Lallana has changed since he played for England then it's a statement of fact. As he's been Captain for a fair while now and often harangues refs he's changed in the opinion of Clattenburg but it's not an insult. We can only assume that it's not in fact what was said.

It is a snide comment, especially after turning down a clear pen very late in the game. Does Clattenburg expect Lallana just to tell him "no problem ref"? Of course he will be annoyed and frustrated at him (rightly so).

Clattenburg should get his own house in order before making judgements on another person's character.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/10548814/Mark-Clattenburg-has-no-case-to-answer-in-Adam-Lallana-row-as-Professional-Game-Match-Officials-back-referee.html

PGMOL determined Southampton’s complaint had no merit whatsoever, saying in a statement: “PGMOL is committed to constructive dialogue and communication with clubs, managers and players.

“On 31st December, PGMOL received a letter from Southampton who raised concerns about the conduct of Mark Clattenburg following their game with Everton on 29th December.

“In a written response to Southampton, PGMOL acknowledge that their complaint has been considered in full.

“However, given the nature of the conversation with the player, having reviewed the footage and spoken to the team of officials as well as the Premier League Match Delegate it has been found that there is no case to answer.

“Mark has the full support of PGMOL Management and will be considered for selection for all and any matches going forward in the usual way.”

It is understood the club decided to make a formal complaint having also been unhappy with some of Clattenburg’s performances when he had refereed them previously.

They also felt he must have been under particular pressure on his return to Everton, while members of club staff also alleged that they heard him say he had seen a handball when he was talking in the tunnel after the match.

Conversely, it is believed in refereeing circles that no complaint would have been made against Clattenburg had he not been the subject of an accusation in October 2012 that he racially abused Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel during the Londoners' defeat to Manchester United.

No case to answer - I assume the refs Union or whatever they call themselves means by that there is insufficient evidence and therefore there should be no investigation or put another way, a closing of ranks, a cover up. Wasn't that the conclusion with the Mikel incident too? In these instances refs as a group would benefit from showing a little transparency. If Clattenburg has nothing to hide then let's hear the evidence.

It is a snide comment, especially after turning down a clear pen very late in the game. Does Clattenburg expect Lallana just to tell him "no problem ref"? Of course he will be annoyed and frustrated at him (rightly so).

Clattenburg should get his own house in order before making judgements on another person's character.

I agree, it's not outright "offensive", but it's a snide, condescending remark to put Lallana "back in his place", referees have no place to comment on the character or otherwise of players. S**t ref, hope we pursue it further as his performances in our games have been a joke.

Ben Rumsby@ben_rumsby

Apparently, Clattenburg said to Lallana: “You’re very different now since you played for England. You never used to be like this.”

Trousers@Lord_Trousers

@ben_rumsby Why only "apparently"?

Ben Rumsby@ben_rumsby

@Lord_Trousers Because that is one version of events. Still waiting to hear whether Southampton/Lallana dispute it.

Trousers@Lord_Trousers

@ben_rumsby Cheers. So that quote was 'leaked' directly by the PGMOL then?

If that's all what was said, pretty stupid for the club to complain and think that anything would be done about it.

Absolutely spot on, don't know what we thought we were doing if that's all that's all that was said. Stupid,stupid,stupid thing to do for so little. Makes Adam look like a big girl's blouse.

Saints statement:

An official insulting any player, no matter his intentions, is clearly not acceptable behaviour, for this reason we do not accept the verdict of the PGMOL in relation to this case and do not consider the matter to be over. Under the circumstances we do not feel it appropriate for Mr Clattenburg to officiate any of our matches until this matter is resolved.

Tell everyone what Clattenburg is alleged to have said and then the club might actually get a bit of support for their stance. If the words quoted are true, we are making ourselves look ****ing ridiculous.

If that's all what was said, pretty stupid for the club to complain and think that anything would be done about it.

Depends what the club's aim was/is I guess. Maybe it was just a "don't mess with us" shot across the bows, although seems odd to put Lallana in the firing line (given he's largely a kind of private person) if that is indeed all Clattenburg said.