Clattenburg under investigation after Southampton accuse him of abusing Adam Lallana

Saint-Armstrong

But he isn't captain any more, wasn't for the Everton game either. KD is captain for some strange reason or other because apparently Adam asked for it to be so.
So what? His reaction to the penalty at Everton not being given was the same as any other player in the league would be, no point pretending Lallana has a problem with constantly having a go at referees, when he clearly doesn't.

Clattenburg's job is to referee to the best of his ability not make smart alec remarks to the players. Perhaps if he concentrated on applying the rules fairly and less on being a jack the lad he would be a better ref. I am with the club on this.

This.

And it's simply not just the smart alec remarks either, he simply cannot referee a football match.

Clattenburg's job is to referee to the best of his ability not make smart alec remarks to the players. Perhaps if he concentrated on applying the rules fairly and less on being a jack the lad he would be a better ref. I am with the club on this.

Yep, this.

Me too. This needs challenging.

And in this photo we see Lallana trapping off at Clattenburg on a different occasion, can't be the same one because of the refs shirt colour and Lallana's arm band.

Right we have now established that he had previous, what did Clattenburg say to him on that occasion then.

Norwich away. Last minute penalty, saved by Boruc.

My opinion will probably not be popular on here.

Clattenburg is a crap ref, the Norwich and arsenal peno's were shocking " look how clever I am spotting that" decisions, that are easy to give against a smaller club. Saturday, I could see why he didn't give it. At the ground (admittedly at other end) I didn't think it was , and watching motd thought it 50/50. Certainly the pundits didn't dwell on it and Mondays papers basically said we had a shout. I didn't read any that said we were denied a clear one, and Graham poll comments on contentious decisions in his column and that one wasn't mentioned. It was not a shocker, no matter what saints supporters say.

On to the fall out from it. I don't really care what clattenburg said, unless its racist , homophobic or about his family or health, then we should have just stfu and get on with it. Even if clatenburg said "shut up you ****ing knob" we should still take it on the chin. If he only said what was reported it is fuvking embarrassing to complain about that. It makes us look like a right bunch of fannies. If I was old mother Riley , running the refs , I'd say " you can't have it both ways" . Argue and swear at refs, who turn a blind eye, and then go crying to mummy when the ref bites back.

I think a lot of people are missing the point here. Everton complained about him when he was sucking Gerrard off in a match and mysteriously never had him for 6 years.

If we mysteriously get the same outcome, then it will have been worth it.

I reckon our refs are the worst collection in living memory. Time to fast-track ex-players to the Premier League. Our present policemen and builders just aren't up to the job.

A myth perpetrated by pundits, most of whom are ex-players who speak from the comfort of TV studios of the need to get in former players who know the game from the inside.

I haven't seen Robbie Savage, Roy Keane, Jamie Redknapp et all at the head of the queue to be referees.

Can anybody see too many Premier League players jostling for a job that pays around £70,000 pa, or twice the average weekly wage of most PL players?

Most players don't know the basic rules anyway.

Ask a player to exactly define when a player is active or inactive under the offside rule, or what constitutes a foul throw.

It might attract players from the lower leagues but there is a lot of opposition to fast tracking from referees and you can understand why.

A guy who has had to start doing Sunday League games on the local rec and then work his way up might not take too kindly to somebody who is fast-tracked simply because he is a former player. And there's no guarantee that a former player will be any better at interpreting and applying rules.

If Portsmouth had complained about a ref saying something similar to a skate, we would be all wetting ourselves. The takeover thread would have added another half dozen pages worth of jokes.

However decided to take this action is making us a laughing stock.

Laughing stock to who.

Who is laughing??

I know fans of most English clubs. Not one has mentioned it. Most hardly know about it, if they do, they don't care

wasn't that nailed on? what was there to dispute?

No. It was a joke. Shaw breathed on Holt and a penalty was given.

In the same way a penalty was given for shirt pulling at Arsenal. Shirt puilling was done throughout the match by both teams but for some reason twa ttenburg gave the penalty for the shirt pull by Fonte .... even though Jos's shirt was being pulled at the same time by an arsenal player.

If Portsmouth had complained about a ref saying something similar to a skate, we would be all wetting ourselves. The takeover thread would have added another half dozen pages worth of jokes.

However decided to take this action is making us a laughing stock.

Who cares? We're obviously fed up with him consistently giving major decisions against us wrongly or inexplicably and are trying to avoid having him as a ref.

The Saints wrote to the referees' governing body the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) on New Year's Eve, objecting to referee Clattenburg's conduct towards Adam Lallana in the 2-1 defeat at Everton on December 29.

Southampton objected to Clattenburg's conduct in an exchange with the England midfielder.

But after a review the PGMOL has ruled there is no case to answer.

In a letter seen by Press Association Sport, Southampton claimed Clattenburg told Lallana: "You are very different now, since you've played for England - you never used to be like this."

So if Lallana had said 'You used to be very different when you reffed FL, you're very different now you're in the PL'

Would it have been taken

:

1) As a compliment

2) As an insult

3) As a time passing moment in the game

Then put in the scenario when one of the two has just controversially affected the possible outcome of the game and is supposed to be even-handed in his treatment of both sides and how you would feel if you felt (knew given the evidence) that you had been unjustly treated by someone who then delivers a personal 'remark' about your persona?

Utterly unprofessional in my opinion if true (and nobody has confirmed or denied the statement) - but if true he should be demoted, suspended for a month for that on top of his lack of ability to make sound judgements.

The club are right to bring it up, if it's a true account then Clattenberg should be disciplined by his employer, not have it shuffled to one side on a wishy-washy 'no case to answer'...Lallana felt and voiced that he had been the victim of an awful decision - to then have his character questioned by a supposedly impartial official is just wrong from whichever standpoint you take!

My opinion will probably not be popular on here.

Clattenburg is a crap ref, the Norwich and arsenal peno's were shocking " look how clever I am spotting that" decisions, that are easy to give against a smaller club. Saturday, I could see why he didn't give it. At the ground (admittedly at other end) I didn't think it was , and watching motd thought it 50/50. Certainly the pundits didn't dwell on it and Mondays papers basically said we had a shout. I didn't read any that said we were denied a clear one, and Graham poll comments on contentious decisions in his column and that one wasn't mentioned. It was not a shocker, no matter what saints supporters say.

On to the fall out from it. I don't really care what clattenburg said, unless its racist , homophobic or about his family or health, then we should have just stfu and get on with it. Even if clatenburg said "shut up you ****ing knob" we should still take it on the chin. If he only said what was reported it is fuvking embarrassing to complain about that. It makes us look like a right bunch of fannies. If I was old mother Riley , running the refs , I'd say " you can't have it both ways" . Argue and swear at refs, who turn a blind eye, and then go crying to mummy when the ref bites back.

Agree with this 100%. Time for the club to STFU and not pursue this kind of precious whinging. If what Clattenburg said is what I have read on this forum, then what is the big deal? It's seems ok for players to fire all the f**ks under the sun into ref's, but one insignificant comment back and the Club can't take it. I wonder if AL is happy with this being pursued and his name being linked to it? It would be interesting to know.

IMHO, too much pansying around with side issues instead of concentrating on what is really important, getting rid of this crap run of form and getting some results behind us.

No. It was a joke. Shaw breathed on Holt and a penalty was given.

In the same way a penalty was given for shirt pulling at Arsenal. Shirt puilling was done throughout the match by both teams but for some reason twa ttenburg gave the penalty for the shirt pull by Fonte .... even though Jos's shirt was being pulled at the same time by an arsenal player.

He reffed the Fulham v West Ham game on Sunday and there were several corners where they were virtually wrestling each other. Motty even commented about it on MOTD. Strangely Mr Clattenberg gave no penalties.

What an utter fanny Adam looks here. Love the lad but jesus Gary is right. Man up.

Lallana had nothing to do with the complaint, other than being the supposed victim. He didn't file the complaint, nor - apparently - did he make a big deal out of it either at the time or after the game.

This idea was dreamt up by someone else at the club with a view to getting Clattenburg removed from any of our games in the future - a perfectly valid target, but rather than trying to get him on something that's simply not an issue, why didn't they try to get him on the fact that he's a **** referee who consistently gives us **** decisions?

Lallana had nothing to do with the complaint, other than being the supposed victim. He didn't file the complaint, nor - apparently - did he make a big deal out of it either at the time or after the game.

This idea was dreamt up by someone else at the club with a view to getting Clattenburg removed from any of our games in the future - a perfectly valid target, but rather than trying to get him on something that's simply not an issue, why didn't they try to get him on the fact that he's a **** referee who consistently gives us **** decisions?

Because that's more difficult to prove? Having something Clattenburg said to one of our players as 'ammunition' is far more tangible (no matter how trivial) than trying to convince the FA that he's got it in for us in general.

This is a case of "a means to an end" IMO. Whether this 'tactic' works as the club hoped it will remains to be seen.

Edited by trousers

Agree with this 100%. Time for the club to STFU and not pursue this kind of precious whinging. If what Clattenburg said is what I have read on this forum, then what is the big deal? It's seems ok for players to fire all the f**ks under the sun into ref's, but one insignificant comment back and the Club can't take it. I wonder if AL is happy with this being pursued and his name being linked to it? It would be interesting to know.

IMHO, too much pansying around with side issues instead of concentrating on what is really important, getting rid of this crap run of form and getting some results behind us.

Yeah. You dont get it either.

hope the FA don't get wind of this, they'll prob make us have the **** every week

Because that's more difficult to prove? Having something Clattenburg said to one of our players as 'ammunition' is far more tangible (no matter how trivial) than trying to convince the FA that he's got it in for us in general.

This is a case of "a means to an end" IMO. Whether this 'tactic' works as the club hoped it will remains to be seen.

Should have gone down the route of enquiring why he was deemed fit to ref at Goodison and the pressure of the environment lead to him not giving us at least one of two penalty shouts. Also can add two pens against us which weren 't and requested that he doesn't ref us just like Everton did. If they are allowed to request such things, why can't anyone else?

Yeah. You dont get it either.

Good reply, well done. Enlighten me. Get what exactly? Over reaction by the Club against benign comments between officials and players? Pointless requests for a particular Ref to not officiate our matches because of said benign comments? Failure for a ref to give us a peno? If it had been the other way around with Everton acting like this, there would have been a plethora of posts on this forum saying they were sore losers, unable to take ref's decisions and crying like girls over player / ref banter. So why is it different for us? Were their legions of fans calling for the ref action after JRod's dive for a peno at Villa last season which got us 3 points? After all, in the interests of fairness, it has to be both ways, huh?

I tell you what I don't get, that's the continually increasing precious attitude of SFC fans. As Lineaker says, time to man up. The Club are in danger of being seen as acting like a stroppy adolescent and, IMHO, too many fans are just as bad.

Not great comment but man up Adam like Lineker says. Try doing my job for a bit and see the insults that get banded about. Im not saying Clattenburg is right but come on lets grow a pair put it in to perspective and move on. There are lots of bigger issues than this.

Good reply, well done. Enlighten me. Get what exactly? Over reaction by the Club against benign comments between officials and players? Pointless requests for a particular Ref to not officiate our matches because of said benign comments? Failure for a ref to give us a peno? If it had been the other way around with Everton acting like this, there would have been a plethora of posts on this forum saying they were sore losers, unable to take ref's decisions and crying like girls over player / ref banter. So why is it different for us? Were their legions of fans calling for the ref action after JRod's dive for a peno at Villa last season which got us 3 points? After all, in the interests of fairness, it has to be both ways, huh?

I tell you what I don't get, that's the continually increasing precious attitude of SFC fans. As Lineaker says, time to man up. The Club are in danger of being seen as acting like a stroppy adolescent and, IMHO, too many fans are just as bad.

Yes as i thought. We dont want this arsehole ref'ing anymore of our games so have made an official complaint, as others have done before us.

The only 'precious whinging' is coming from you. I hope thats easy enough for you to understand, precious.

Assuming this is true I think the issue here is Clattenburg's attitude.

I suspect a combination of him giving decisions against us and the Mikel case last year has in part brought this on, but as FF said before it is Clattenburg's job to referee the game and not making petty comments to players when his decisions are questioned. By making such comments all he's doing is undermining his own authority and with the Mikel case there is previous.

As someone else said Clattenburh will be gently steered away from refereeing our games, but I suspect this may be the intention in the first place.

Not great comment but man up Adam like Lineker says. Try doing my job for a bit and see the insults that get banded about. Im not saying Clattenburg is right but come on lets grow a pair put it in to perspective and move on. There are lots of bigger issues than this.
I don't know what Clattenberg said, but if it had a racial side to it they would be at him. Abuse is abuse and so where do you stop. Personally I would have wished the club had not made an issue but the refs seem to be a law unto themselves

Hopefully it will mean clattenburg won't referee saints for a few months due to the ill feeling which will be a right result as he is the worst referee in the premiership

Clattenberg seems to be a top FIFA Ref officiated in the Olympic Final no less

Not sure Refs will now be falling over themselves to help SFC

You've changed since you became a full member.

Not really, I've never liked Clattenburg or being called pathetic.

I do however support my club and in this instance agree that getting rid of this useless tosser of a ref will be a good thing.

Remember, Everton managed to get rid of him for just 1 x games worth of cockups, less than we've suffered at the hands of this turd.

I don't know what's more pathetic, the initial complaint or some of our supporters defending it.

Perhaps if you read my post a bit further up and tell me which bit you disagree with? Genuinely interested, I find Clattenburg's comments to be completely non-commensurate with his position.

Saturday, I could see why he didn't give it. At the ground (admittedly at other end) I didn't think it was , and watching motd thought it 50/50. Certainly the pundits didn't dwell on it and Mondays papers basically said we had a shout. I didn't read any that said we were denied a clear one, and Graham poll comments on contentious decisions in his column and that one wasn't mentioned. It was not a shocker, no matter what saints supporters say.
I agree with you on this. I missed it at the time, but the way Saints fan were going on about it on here I thought it must have been a stick on pen, but when I saw the animated gif file it was as you say 50/50.

On to the fall out from it. I don't really care what clattenburg said, unless its racist , homophobic or about his family or health, then we should have just stfu and get on with it. Even if clatenburg said "shut up you ****ing knob" we should still take it on the chin. If he only said what was reported it is fuvking embarrassing to complain about that. It makes us look like a right bunch of fannies.
I also agree with this.

The only thing that muddies the water is that Lallana got a yellow.

I can't imagine a referee in any other sport showing any signs of impartiality. Boxing? Cricket? Rugby? Why should we have to put up with it when so much money is at stake in the premier league.

and then add to the fact that this was the first time that Clattenberg had reffed at Goodison for 6 years because of dodgy decisions in the Merseyside 2007 derby. That wasn't at the back of his mind when he failed to award two spot kicks for us was it?