Puncheon to Palace - Perm Signing (Confirmed)

St Chalet

Heard from a fairly decent contact that he will join Palace on a permanent deal for £1.25 in next couple of days. Making the deal perm to free up a loan place.

Was expecting at least a million for him, but a move best for both parties if this comes off.

Hopefully frees up some wages for us to get a quality CB in.

Means he can play against us now (although wouldnt surprise me if cortese slipped a clause in there somewhere that for the duration of his previous contract etc) but thats a decent fee for him. Frees up a bit of funds for us as well.

Not allowed, comes under the category of "third party influences".

Heard from a fairly decent contact that he will join Palace on a permanent deal for £1.25m in next couple of days. Making the deal perm to free up a loan place.

Good luck to him - I always quite liked him. Hope it means we loan in a GK or a CB, or preferably both. They are very needed. It's like a knife through butter at times at the mo

Havemissed himat times this season, would have been a very good option off the bench at times. £1.25m will hopefully be put to good use.

What would 1.25 million buy us in the.current market? A poor championship player at best must be using it for wages for a loan signing!

Would rather have kept him and saved 11m + wages from The Gash.

No way he would have contributed less.

Possibly. Although the club might also have considered Puncheon's response and attitude once he realised he would only have had a bit part role. If they suspected a return to the incredible sulk, and upset the morale etc then they would be keen to ship him out.

It has just occurred to me - maybe the deal also incorporates an element of wiping away the sell-on fee for Clyne?

Can't see it, even if they go down they wouldn't be in any financial strife so why would they give up a potentially big windfall in the future (when they might actually need the money)?

£1.25m for Puncheon seems a decent fee but, as said above, puts the Gaston fee into some perspective

To my mind Jay Emmanuel-Thomas looked a decent player (definitely better than Gaston despite Gash's goal) when we played Bristol Cityu earlier in the season.

Surprised J E-T has been snapped up by at least a Championship club

It's worth putting some context to Puncheon, if that fee is indeed accurate. We've received various loan fees for him over the last few years from Millwall, Blackpool, QPR and Palace, so what we've actually recouped on his original £300k fee will be much more than the £1.25m mentioned.

Also, you can't these days turn around and ask what you could get for £1.25m elsewhere, as Bosman has confused the issue so much. I guess that you have to take signing fee, signing on fee, agent fees, wages, etc etc into account to get the total cost over the life of the contract.

£1.25m for Puncheon seems a decent fee but, as said above, puts the Gaston fee into some perspective

To my mind Jay Emmanuel-Thomas looked a decent player (definitely better than Gaston despite Gash's goal) when we played Bristol Cityu earlier in the season.

So no Championship club went for him but a Top Half Prem club should?

He joined BC in the summer from Ipswich, dropping from The Champ to L1.

But yeah, he is defo better than Gaston.

Jesus wept :mcinnes:

Would rather have kept him and saved 11m + wages from The Gash.

No way he would have contributed less.

But that's not an option now is it. It's probably about time you accept he's here and get on with your life.

I don't think he's lived up to the price tag but he's here and clearly part of MP's plans. No amount of keyboard bashing will change that.

:lol:

It's not a bad return on what he's done both good and bad. At one time (when he was loaned out, bad mouthed the club etc) I would have cheerfully seen his arse kicked out of the club for much less but give him credit for his re-invention.

Also we have probably seen the best of him...for all the Ramirez detractors ...the best of him could be yet to come, who knows, he's still very young. If he comes good the money will look well-spent, an investment in the future. It's the Southampton way! :-)

Are you sure about that ? I hate to say it, but I think we may have been sold a dud in Gaston !

I'd say its definitely up for debate, but I'm leaning more towards the pro-Gaston side. He gives the ball away too much, doesn't always play with enough intensity and could be stronger on the ball. However, he has also played two passes in the last couple of home games that nobody else in the squad would be capable of seeing or playing. The first was against Spurs when we were chasing another equaliser, threading an incredibly well weighted pass through to Lallana who couldn't beat Lloris. Then against Chelsea he clipped a stunning pass through to Rodriguez who was tackled before he could finish. Both of those had me out of my seat.

He has phenomenal talent, its just whether it can be fulfilled, and I don't mind admitting that I would have expected to see much more from him by now. Still, I'm willing to stick with him and hopefully he shows more improvement when he gets a run in the team - I'm sure Pochettino is doing his best to bring the performances out of him.