World Cup Squad

niemi14

If you had to pick your 23 man squad for the World Cup today, who would you take and which Saints players?

Mine would be

Goalkeepers - Hart, Foster, Forster

Defenders - Cahill, Baines, Jagielka, Walker, Clyne, Shaw, Dawson

Midfielders - Gerrard, Lampard, Lallana, A.Johnson, Chamberlain, Carrick, Sterling, Henderson

Strikers - Rooney, Sturridge, Rodriguez, Lambert, Welbeck

Found it really hard to pick a squad, think we are lacking in quality in a lot of areas.

I rate Ashley Cole highly but if he isn't playing, surely it isn't fair to take him? That's the team I would pick anyway.

Agree but we always pick players on reputation rather than form, it's a problem that we've had for years!

My choice:

Hart (Foster, Forster)

Johnson (Walker), Jagielka (Jones), Cahill (Smalling), Baines (Shaw)

Gerrard (Carrick) Wilshere (Henderson)

Lallana(Sterling) Rooney(Barkley) Chamberlain (Milner)

Sturridge(Welbeck)

Edited by Saint Garrett

Squad-Goalkeepers - Hart, Foster, Forster

Defenders - Cahill, Baines, Jagielka, Walker, Shaw, Richards, Jones

Midfielders - Gerrard, Wilshere, Milner, Lallana,Chamberlain, Carrick, Sterling, Henderson

Strikers - Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Welbeck

My starting XI: (attacking 4-5-1)

Hart,

Walker, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines

OX, Gerrard, Wilshere, Welbeck

Rooney

Sturridge

Almost put Barkley in it but I think he'll just miss out but definitely go to Euro 2016, think JWP will be in and around the squad in 2016.

Hart, (and 2 from Foster, Forster and Ruddy)

Cahil, Jagielka, Terry, Baines, Shaw, Walker, Chambers (Allready better than Clyne)

Wiltshire, Barkley, Barry/Cork, Carrick, Lallana, Johnson, Henderson, Milner, Oxlade

Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, JayRod

OP has wellbeck and Jayrod - this will not happen.

Lambert is of the boil to a degree, but its him or Carroll.

I can't stand carrick, think he is useless, but he will go... All this ******** of needing him against possession teams.... Did people not watch him vs Barcelona, utter bystander 101.

For me, the best English right back in the premier league, on current form is chambers.

Lampard will not go to the world cup. Barring some major injuries. He isn't a first team regular at Chelsea and his fitness is not what it was.

Hart, (and 2 from Foster, Forster and Ruddy)

Cahil, Jagielka, Terry, Baines, Shaw, Walker, Chambers (Allready better than Clyne)

Wiltshire, Barkley, Barry/Cork, Carrick, Lallana, Johnson, Henderson, Milner, Oxlade

Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, JayRod

OP has wellbeck and Jayrod - this will not happen.

Lambert is of the boil to a degree, but its him or Carroll.

I can't stand carrick, think he is useless, but he will go... All this ******** of needing him against possession teams.... Did people not watch him vs Barcelona, utter bystander 101.

For me, the best English right back in the premier league, on current form is chambers.

Lampard will not go to the world cup. Barring some major injuries. He isn't a first team regular at Chelsea and his fitness is not what it was.

The England captain not going then?

Sod taking 3 goalkeepers, in the history of the World Cup has a team ever needed to use all 3? I would take a punt and go with an extra striker.

Goalkeepers - Hart, Foster

Defenders - Cahill, Baines, Jagielka, Walker, Shaw, Johnson, Jones

Midfielders - Gerrard, Wilshere, Milner, Lallana, Chamberlain, Carrick, Sterling, Henderson

Strikers - Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Welbeck, Jay Rod

Sod taking 3 goalkeepers, in the history of the World Cup has a team ever needed to use all 3? I would take a punt and go with an extra striker.

Midfielders - Gerrard, Wilshere, Milner, Lallana, Chamberlain, Carrick, Sterling, Henderson

I like this - although I think Milner is past his best and I simply do not rate Johnson.

Article 26.3 of FIFAs WC regulations make 3 keepers mandatory, there is no choice in the matter.

Don't think the OP is far off, but Welbeck and Rodriguez won't both go, no chance. Roy will probably take 8 defenders and only 4 strikers.How anyone thinks Cork has a chance of getting in at this late stage is beyond me, it won't happen. Roy has a lot of central midfielders to choose from, my biggest worry is him picking either Cleverley or Lampard (or even worse, both)

What I think they'll go with:

Hart, Foster, Forster

Walker, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Smalling, Jones, Baines, Cole

Gerrard, Wilshere, Henderson, Carrick, Sterling, Ox, Lallana, Milner

Welbeck, Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert

What I would go with:

Hart, Foster, Forster

Walker, Chambers, Jagielka, Cahill, Dawson, Davies, Baines, Shaw

Gerrard, Wilshere, Cork, Ox, Sterling, Lallana, Barkley, Townsend,

Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, J-Rod

The England captain not going then?

In my squad, no! He is a good player of course, but he won't last the pace in brazil, not in those conditions, and not in a tournament. Add to that the need to start blooding the youngsters and the fact that this will be Gerrard's last tournament for sure.

Defenders - Cahill, Baines, Jagielka, Walker, Lescott, Cole, Dawson, Johnson

Midfielders - Gerrard, Lampard, Lallana, Townsend, Chamberlain, Carrick, Sterling, Henderson

Strikers - Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert, Welbeck

Think this world cup will come to soon for Shaw. Lallana should definitely go and Lambert as an option and because Carroll has barely played this season.

Roy will take Townsend even if people on here wouldn't.

I don't think that Lambert and JRod are really good enough for England, but the alternatives aren't really good enough either, so there's a chance. Lallana will go though.

As has been mentioned loads of times, it's all down to which way Hodgson goes with Shaw. There's a good reason for moving on from Cole and Shaw is the future, but Cole has rarely let England down and is undoubtedly class, so is a safe choice. I think they're both good enough, but Cole will probably go.

Clyne may have been an outside choice at one point, but now he can't hold down a starting place with us, must be well out of the picture. I'd be amazed if Cork were picked, but I think he could do a decent job. JWP has no chance at all.

I'd take Cork. Possibly above any other Saints player apart from Lallana. Anyone know when the squad for the friendlies is announced?

Next week I expect, Thursday maybe but as I've said before the club and the player will probably have already been tipped off.

The usual system for international call ups is for any players likely to be involved (not always finally selected though) to be pre-selected in which notification is sent to the club, that happens perhaps a month before the game or so, then the final selection is announced about somewhere between 21 and 10 days before the game according to the usual practices of the federations.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Hart, Forster, Foster

Walker, Johnson, Baines, Shaw, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones, Dawson

Gerrard, Wilshere, Lallana, Milner, OxO, Henderson, Sterling, Barkley

Sturridge, Rooney, Carroll, Rodriguez

Carroll left Newcastle over 3 years ago now. In over 3 years his total goals = 13!

This season = 0

Last = 7

Season before = 4

Season before = 2

We made it into England as a prolific forward with Newcastle. As well as unlikely to score there is a risk his attitude could be bad for squad away for world cup.

Think he needs amazing few months to get in

Carroll left Newcastle over 3 years ago now. In over 3 years his total goals = 13!

This season = 0

Last = 7

Season before = 4

Season before = 2

We made it into England as a prolific forward with Newcastle. As well as unlikely to score there is a risk his attitude could be bad for squad away for world cup.

Think he needs amazing few months to get in

he probably doesnt. to be fair

My team:

Hart

Clyne Cahill Jagielka Baines

- - - - Carrick - - Henderson- -

Ox-C- - - Wilshere- - - Lallana

- - - - - - - Rooney- - - - - - - -

IMO Gerrard gives the ball away too much to be a starter but could make a great impact later on in games. That midfield has enough about it to retain the ball, be combative and counter quickly.

I don't think Sturridge should start. He's too selfish and immature in the way he plays for top level internationals at the moment.

The rest of my squad would be:

Foster, Forster

Walker, Smalling, Cole

Gerrard,Cork,Townsend, Johnson

Welbeck, Sturridge, Carroll

I know this is 'pick what you think', but Hodgson already practically said last week that he wouldn't take Clyne or Chambers to the World cup, as Clyne hasn't started enough and he wouldn't think about picking someone from the U18 squad at this time with regard to Chambers.

For me It will be just Lallana, with one or both of Rodriguez or Lambert making the 30, but being cut when it comes to the 23. Possibly Shaw if Roy didn't take Cole, but a big if.

Watching Arsenal game tonight and thinking we so need to take and play as many of our young players like Adam,Wilshire,Barkley,Chamberlain players that are comfortable with the ball at feet and don't panic otherwise we aren't going to stand an earthly against the Germans and other technically gifted countries

I'll just be happy to see Lallana there and starting a game. A Southampton one-club player. Bring it on.

The rest of them? It'll be the usual 'names' from Lpool/Man Utd etc. ROOOONEEEEEEE (in some Peter Drury annoying twtty voice - man, that bloke needs to be shot - worst commentator ever) and GERRRRRRADDDDDDD will be going even if they are injured.

Any other Saints? I think it's a bit hopeful. Can't see it happening. One will do though. Good luck Adam.

names like Milner , Jones , Cleverly , Henderson and Glen bl00dy Johnsson.

FFS were gonna be the laughing stock at the WC if these are the best we can send.

Lampard and Cole are past it. Gerrards ok but on his last legs. Carricks dross.

Out with the old (who never performed when young!) and in with a bit of yoof.

and Sturridge will not be a prolific striker at international level.

Lallana is the only one likely to go. Hodgson is a canny old man and will not risk players from unfashionable clubs, as that would give the press an extra chance to attack him if there is a poor result. Remember how MLT was taken apart by the press and that git Danny ??? on the radio after we lost to Italy under Hoddle,

Anyway we need our players fresh for next season

Defenders - Cahill, Baines, Jagielka, Walker, Lescott, Shawcross, Shaw, Clyne

Central Midfielders - Gerrard, Barkley, Wiltshire, Carrick

Widemen - Townsend, Lallana, Wellbeck, Sterling

Strikers - Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert

We are so devoid of any quality at centre back. I'd be tempted to play Carrick or even Gerrard there.

GK: Hart, Foster, Ruddy

RB: Walker, Johnson

LB: Baines, Shaw

CB: Cahill, Jagielka, Shawcross, Jones

CM: Gerrard, Wilshere, Milner, Barkley, Carrick

AM: Lallana, Chamberlain, Lennon, Rodriguez

ST: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck

Begrudgingly leaving out Rickie and taking Johnson instead, because if Walker got injured I wouldn't be comfortable with having only Phil Jones to play RB - and i'm not even an England fan!

For a more attacking formation:

------------------HART-------------------

WALKER----CAHILL----JAGIELKA----BAINES

----------GERRARD----WILSHERE----------

LALLANA--------ROONEY----------CHAMBO

---------------STURRIDGE----------------

Or for more defensive:

------------------HART-------------------

WALKER----CAHILL----JAGIELKA----BAINES

----------------GERRARD-----------------

---------WILSHERE----MILNER------------

BARKLEY-------------------------WELBECK