Adam Lallana - Medical at Liverpool

Dr Who?

Post of the decade. As sad as it is to read!

I disagree. It's defeatist. Attitudes like this - no matter how pragmatic they sound - are the defeatist, unambitious seeds of failure.

Aim high and be ambitious and you progress a little at a time. Give in to the perception of failure before you start and you will always fail.

CB Frys words are not for me. Insist on success, even if it seems to be against the odds. Ambition leads to success. Saints can get there.

But, too much to do with too little time will make it hard for Koeman now. Very hard.

This is how I feel. We do not have the income (under financial fair play) to pay the wages required to gain or keep players to take us to the next level. Just like those outside of the top 4 or 5. It is they way of things now and it will remain the way of things in the future.

I already have my season ticket so will continue to support this coming season but I think this will be my last year! Outside the top 12 at the end of next season and that will be it for me. Increase in season ticket more than inflation next season and that will also count against. I am lucky that I can afford Itchen central and Hampshire Cricket Executive Membership plus dining. However I am not going to continue to feed this obscene beast that is the Premier League unless it is on my terms. I will support from the armchair if we do not achieve my targets!

It does kind of make a mockery of this financial fair play malarkey. How exactly is it promoting fair play? It will just allow the clubs like Man Utd and Man City to drift further and further and further away, doesn't allow anyone else to even get close due to ''fair play''. Yeah, nice one PL.

Lallana is irreplacable as far as I am concerned. Far more so then any other Southampton player. I remember going to watch the home leg of thr FA youth cup final we lost against ipswich expecting to be dazzled by Walcott, who was rumoured to be atttacting the interest of real Madrid at the time. It was a front 3 of Walcott, dyer and lallana. Lallana was playing wide left and he was the standout performer for me. Walcott and dyer looked ordinary in comparison. Since then it has been clear to me that Lallana is a really special player. We won't replace him with like for like as it just doesn't exist.

Well it's not like the other two have done terribly is it?

It does kind of make a mockery of this financial fair play malarkey. How exactly is it promoting fair play? It will just allow the clubs like Man Utd and Man City to drift further and further and further away, doesn't allow anyone else to even get close due to ''fair play''. Yeah, nice one PL.

I keep wondering could this be part of the reason we seem more open to offers than we should be (particularly baring in mind the TV income and prize money increase). Are we increasing our income in order that we can spend more significantly on the squad as a whole, or is transfer revenue not taken into account?

I keep wondering could this be part of the reason we seem more open to offers than we should be (particularly baring in mind the TV income and prize money increase). Are we increasing our income in order that we can spend more significantly on the squad as a whole, or is transfer revenue not taken into account?

I would imagine it is taken into account, as the transfer revenue received will be reported in the accounts as ''profit'' - so I would have thought FFP would see that as a way of increasing profit and significantly lowering the loss. Maybe, you could be right - as we're going to be running at an insane profit after all of this.

Selling Lallana for this money is decent business. He's been really good for us but he wants to move. I believe he's making a massive mistake, he's going to be bench warming and will lose his place in the England squad within 12 months. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player but he won't be mollycoddled at Liverpool like at Saints. He's going to find it far tougher than Luke or Rickie. It's a shame but he clearly feels he's better than us, time for all of us to move on. It simply proves there is no loyalty in football anymore, but we knew that already and in truth if you were going to be paid twice what you were already earning, how loyal would you be?

Agree 100% with this Pat. Lallana was a very lucky boy to learn his trade at SFC. I am afraid that in the big bad world he will find life a lot tougher!

Lif goes on and our 'all new' team - whatever it ends up looking like - but the events this summer will make me even more cynical and disinterested in the hype.

It almost makes me want to be back in the lower divisions where at least the bulls*** factor is lower and the games are just as much fun.

I've been campaigning for years on here for a statue or bust of Matt Le Tissier at the Players Entrance at Saint Mary's with a plinth and LOYALTY in big brass letters on it.

Our youth set up should have LOYALTY as their motto. Ingrained into them before the agents arrive and tempt their parents.

Unlikely to work, but would still like a bust of LeGod there! :)

Sadly the youth set-up also has lessons on "How to Handle Money" and "How to Handle The Media". The "Now Generation" has no time for "LOYALTY"...the word's for manipulating the fans into believing "Kissing the Badge" is genuine and heartfelt.

While I'm disappointed to see AL and LS leave, I keep reading stuff on here and asking myself two questions:

1. Why do fans feel that loyalty (and gratitude for helping with progress that has been made) should be just from the player?

2. Why should a player not be ambitious ?

And yes I get that contracts have been signed but frankly they're more for the benefit of the club than the player. That's evidenced by the fees obtained.

I'm very pleased that you are pleased that SFC is being run as you would like

Any comments of your own would be welcomed, but I won't hold my breath

Can only say. virtually all football clubs players/chairman/managers and owners move on at some point

and inevitably more so with "lesser" clubs and fans have to accept that and move on but i like you am very disappointed in

our players when they move to the so called "bigger" clubs but to state i want my season ticket money back is bit....

Well sorry to say it a bit school kid like.. saying "i`m not playing any more because i haven't got my own way"

Who`s to say we will not come out better after all the dealings have been done this summer?

Of course we could end up worse too but in the end we support our team either way dont` we?

Apologies if you feel this to be an insulting post as it isn't

Excellent Post Professor and agree with everything you have written, enough is enough and would love to be able in some way to unite fans from the bottom 10 of the premiership and the whole of the champion ship as a start, changes are required, would love to hear what other fans have to say, personally I would like the top six-seven teams from the premiership to Fxxk off with the same number from the Spanish, Italian and other top european leagues and form there own Euorpean Super League.

How would that change anything?

Our next top striker would want to play for a team in the euro super league.

And the premiership would be massively devalued.

What would happen if he failed the medical. He has a known heart condition and this might put Liverpool off from paying so much money. It looks like he has burnt his bridges now. He might have to come back with his tail between his legs.

Edited by Tokyo-Saint

Sadly the youth set-up also has lessons on "How to Handle Money" and "How to Handle The Media". The "Now Generation" has no time for "LOYALTY"...the word's for manipulating the fans into believing "Kissing the Badge" is genuine and heartfelt.

It's a sign of the individualism of our Americanising society. Selfishness over selflessness.

Adam Lallanna, makes loyalty look ****e.

This.

Just staggering how so many people are acting surprised at this.

It was obvious last season when people like me were begging for us to really go for the cups and Europe and others on here were full of how we weren't ready and how we would "build" for that, and how not ready for Europe we were, and how the team needed more seasons. Just deluded and was never going to happen.

As soon as a club like us gets close to the sun it does not mean the next season they will get even closer/smash the glass ceiling etc. It means the stars and/or manager gets picked off.

Maybe next time people will understand the time to go for glory is the season you are in, instead of pipedreaming for some "when we're really ready" time over the rainbow.

Don't disagree; just find it interesting how many people bemoaned (and are still angry about) the departure of the man who oversaw our inglorious exit from the FA Cup this season....Funny people, football fans.

Adam Lallana on his move to Liverpool -

"It's a dream move for me. It just seemed the most logical way to avoid getting bitten next season".

What if Liverpool draw Barca in the CL next year? I just hope there are some better tasting players in the Liverpool squad. Maybe Suarez can lick them and find out.

While I'm disappointed to see AL and LS leave, I keep reading stuff on here and asking myself two questions:

1. Why do fans feel that loyalty (and gratitude for helping with progress that has been made) should be just from the player?

2. Why should a player not be ambitious ?

And yes I get that contracts have been signed but frankly they're more for the benefit of the club than the player. That's evidenced by the fees obtained.

Ambition, that's all we ever ****ing hear. Why not be ambitious with Saints? What actually is more ambitious - to get Saints into CL or join a team already there? Why not just come out and be honest and say that their wages have been doubled as well as a few CL games, but mostly its mostly about the money.

Ambition, that's all we ever ****ing hear. Why not be ambitious with Saints? What actually is more ambitious - to get Saints into CL or join a team already there? Why not just come out and be honest and say that their wages have been doubled as well as a few CL games, but mostly its mostly about the money.

Because when players like Ramirez take the honest approach and say that the fans of their new club use it as a stick to beat them with?

Some interesting points been made over the last few pages on this thread. For me, it was always going to be the case that our 'success' last season was going to lead to interest in our players from those in the top 6 who have that financial advantage over clubs like Saints. What I suppose I have been surprised at is the scope of the potential exodus. I'm not sure I can recall a close season where so many players from a side finishing in the top half of the table have been linked with moves away. Welcome to the true Premier League!

To those of you who are completely fed up by the PL and the way the big clubs bully the smaller teams, and are threatening not to re-new season tickets but just become armchair fans. I hope that's not an armchair fan with a Sky Subscription because you'll just be making things worse. If you really want to do something. Ditch Sky and keep your season ticket.

My final point is I've been thinking about players that have left and been a success elsewhere and those that have left at things haven't gone so well. I remembered that Arsenal had a buy-back clause in Cesc Fabregas' contract, and the same has been said for Carlos Vela. Should we be looking at putting in a buy-back clause into people like Lallana's contract or would we be happy to see him move to a West Ham team in a couple of years if things don't go his way at Liverpool?

My final point is I've been thinking about players that have left and been a success elsewhere and those that have left at things haven't gone so well. I remembered that Arsenal had a buy-back clause in Cesc Fabregas' contract, and the same has been said for Carlos Vela. Should we be looking at putting in a buy-back clause into people like Lallana's contract or would we be happy to see him move to a West Ham team in a couple of years if things don't go his way at Liverpool?

A very good question.

Although I wonder how Arsenal feel about not exercising such a clause and letting Febregas go to Chelsea?

That would be hilarious.

I think 25 mil for lallana is a rubbish price to be honest, the guy just finished in the top 6 in the pfa awards nominations making him one of the top 6 performers in the prem last year, would the other players go for this price? No chance.

Theres also the sell on clause with bournemouth , the fact he was our captain and best player,so why do we feel the need to only accept what liverpool are ready to pay?

Why couldnt we have said 60m or f off?

Probably because we wanted the money and Koeman was totally indifferent, for him 18.75 million is 2 dutch hot shots.

I am saddened to see some of the comments regarding Adam Lallana. This is a guy who stayed with us when we got relegated from the Championship and has assisted us returning to the Premier just as much as Lambert.

He has accepted wages way below what he might have got had he sought another club in that time. He has now reached 26, is an England International as has had an offer to play for a club who have qualified for Champions league.

He has been loyal for many years. So what that he kissed the badge and said what he said about Southampton in the past. He has exceeded his own expectations both playing at Southampton and being selected for England and now wants to reach for the next level. He cannot get that at Southampton. This is his great opportunity. An opportunity that most of those who are knocking him would take if they had the opportunity.

If the club were so determined to keep him they could have insisted he stuck to his contract but they appear to have accepted this is his great chance and with the right transfer fee have let him move on. Not much different from Lambert in my opinion.

This is all about opportunity in a short career. Accept that and wish him well. Anything less is disingenuous to a long term servant, not a mercenary who came in for a year or so to use us as a stepping stone.

I am saddened to see some of the comments regarding Adam Lallana. This is a guy who stayed with us when we got relegated from the Championship and has assisted us returning to the Premier just as much as Lambert.

He has accepted wages way below what he might have got had he sought another club in that time. He has now reached 26, is an England International as has had an offer to play for a club who have qualified for Champions league.

He has been loyal for many years. So what that he kissed the badge and said what he said about Southampton in the past. He has exceeded his own expectations both playing at Southampton and being selected for England and now wants to reach for the next level. He cannot get that at Southampton. This is his great opportunity. An opportunity that most of those who are knocking him would take if they had the opportunity.

If the club were so determined to keep him they could have insisted he stuck to his contract but they appear to have accepted this is his great chance and with the right transfer fee have let him move on. Not much different from Lambert in my opinion.

This is all about opportunity in a short career. Accept that and wish him well. Anything less is disingenuous to a long term servant, not a mercenary who came in for a year or so to use us as a stepping stone.

Top post Weston.

Doubtful they'll be another talented academy player who stays with us until he's 26.

Absolutely correct. I have to check myself for my gut reactions though. This is a very tough time for us, and everything seems to be a kick in the nuts at the moment, and I have to admit to having spells of disdain at these players.......I really can't wait until the next season to take my mind off all this poo and uncertainty! :(

Lol Nasty KL has sold him against his will, or he has been behaving like a slimy little git who has done one at the first offer.

"Accept that and wish him well. Anything less is disingenuous to a long term servant,'

That's your opinion - mines different - don't tell me that I'm disingenuous. I'll never wish him well.

But will you wish Lambert & Shaw well or treat them all with the same disgust? If so I accept your comment.

What gets me and I'm sure most people is that Adam was Team Captain. It's not the fact he has ambition but the way he's gone about getting this move to Liverpool, getting media mates and others posting nasty bits about board members etc.. He has shown no dignity whatsoever and as such doesn't deserve any in return. He could have put in a transfer request or called a press conference at anytime over the past 6 weeks and said he'd reconsidered his career, his contract and intended to leave Southampton Football Club.

In all the references to Titanic leaving Southampton and sinking, no one has mentioned it met an Iceberg. Adam too has met an Iceberg in the form of a medical. That, what they believed as unsinkable, in much the same way Adam thinks he's God's gift to football , sank and vanished beneath the sea.