Two gone...how many to follow?

Saint Charlie

Before anyone starts talking about bedwetting, the facts are that this summer we have lost MP, Shaw and Lambert all of whom were hugely influential and all of whom have moved to bigger clubs.

So, the question is...in your opinion how many more will leave SMS in window?

My opinion: Sadly I think Lovren and Lallana will almost certainly go (when transfer requests are made/talked about it rarely ends well), and probably Schneiderlin who will want to boost his appeal for the French team and will feel its a kind of end of an era at Saints and a good time to move on having had a great run here.

Thats 5 players who would have left for bigger clubs if I am right, which pretty much would consistute the mass exodus the media have speculated would happen.

Not much SFC can realistically do if they all move to traditional CL type teams having played in the WC so I am not blaming the Board or any player, it happens and its how we react and replace that is important.

Anyway, whats everyone else's thoughts on the total number of key players that will go (i.e excluding Osvaldo, Ramirez, Hooiveld etc)?

Confirmed exits this summer: 6

Pochettino (Spurs), Lambert (Liverpool), Shaw (Man Utd), Lallana (Liverpool), Lovren (Liverpool), Chambers (Arsenal)

Edited by Saint Charlie

If we keep the spine of the team of 'wantaways', that's Morgan, Dejan and Lallana, it will have been an amazing summer.

However it's hard to see that happening. I can see up to 7 leaving us, although that includes Osvaldo and Ramirez.

It's all speculation though it doesn't bear thinking about!

Do you see it any different ?

I think what we're seeing at the moment is the result of the club keeping their word. The deals of Lallana, Shaw and Lovren will go through for sure now they're back from the WC - expect that to pep up. The last few weeks have been somewhat of a quiet spell, but this was always going to happen. I personally don't see Morgan going yet, I think we'll lose those 3 and that'll be that.

We'll then be £70-80 in the + and we can see what we can do with that. I'm fairly ready and expectant for an extremely bumpy ride next year, but this is what supporting a team is all about. There'll be bad times, and good times - we've been spoiled over the last few years, and we're well overdue one of these summers.

But I still believe the club is in a decent place, and although we won't do as well as last year, we'll still be clear of relegation. Of that, I'm sure.

A fire sale was accepting £5m for Gareth Bale when we were in administration.

Accepting an offer of £30m for an 18yo left back is not.

May I suggest that if you do not wish to be labelled a 'bed-wetter', you don't use such evocative words.

If something that does sadden me, then it is that Shaw has not even had the good grace to meet & speak with Koeman. I hope the others affird him, the club & supporters that respect

No way Chambers will go IMO although will be interesting to see what happens with him and Clyne.

IMO we arent really a big enough team and those players are too good for one to be on the bench so I am hoping Koeman can slot Chambers in to a CB position or midfield, as Clyne slightly ahead as a RB for me.

If I was either of them and was sat on the bench for Saints I would start getting itchy feet.

Clyne IMO would have made the WC squad had he played every week last season.

Five - Lovren, Hoovield, Osvaldo, Mayuka, Ramirez.

Actually think Lallana might stay now. Liverpool have quite a history of missing out on their main targets in recent seasons, and they also look to have moved on with Shaqiri.

Think we have priced him out of a move and can't see any other club - except for maybe Tottenham, who you'd like to think we'd be loathe to deal with - matching Liverpool's previous bid.

Before anyone starts talking about bedwetting, the facts are that this summer we have lost MP, Shaw and Lambert all of whom were hugely influential and all of whom have moved to bigger clubs.

So, the question is...in your opinion how many more will leave SMS in the so called firesale?

My opinion: Sadly I think Lovren and Lallana will almost certainly go (when transfer requests are made/talked about it rarely ends well), and probably Schneiderlin who will want to boost his appeal for the French team and will feel its a kind of end of an era at Saints and a good time to move on having had a great run here.

Thats 5 players who would have left for bigger clubs if I am right, which pretty much would consistute the "firesale" the much maligned press have often mentioned.

Not much SFC can realistically do if they all move to traditional CL type teams having played in the WC so I am not blaming the Board or any player, it happens and its how we react and replace that is important.

Anyway, whats everyone else's thoughts on the total number of key players that will go (i.e excluding Osvaldo, Ramirez, Hooiveld etc)?

I should imagine in five years time most will have gone

And Saint Charlie - what a miserable tedious bore he has become with his constant negative wumming. At least Alpine doesn't do that.

Charlie and Alpine - our very own chuckle brothers.

This thread obviously isn't wumming. Its talking about what is happening with Saints. If you don't like the topic don't read it, but there are quite a number of sensible responses which is good.

Outgoing players is an important topic this summer and my OP was totally serious and well reasoned if you bother to read it.

Edited by Saint Charlie

But I can't imagine half the team being very happy with Shaw and MP going. If Lallana went to, I think many would be desperate to leave, such as Clyne, Wanyama, Morgan, Rodriguez when fit, Lovren.

Lambert went to Liverpool to live out his boyhood dream and will get a 'last hurrah' chance at the CL.

Shaw is going to ManU for absolutely bloody STUPID money.

Lallana may well go to Liverpool, again for a chance at the CL ( and the club getting another massive wedge ), and maybe even Lovren to a CL team ( be it the scousers or Barca ); but where would Clyne, Wanyama, or Rodriguez go that gives them the same career and financial boost ? Why can't they stay at Saints and push for the top 6 ?

This thread obviously isn't wumming. Its talking about what is happening with Saints. If you don't like the topic don't read it, but there are quite a number of sensible responses which is good.

Outgoing players is an important topic this summer and my OP was totally serious and well reasoned if you bother to read it.

I think your use of "fire sale" and flawed logic to support the term (selling 5 players for very good money is not a fire sale, selling them at bargain prices is) takes you from interesting OP to borderline trolling tbh.

Why can't they stay at Saints and push for the top 6 ?

They may, rightly or wrongly feel that we didnt have enough to push for top 6 with MP, Shaw, Lovren and Lallana so might feel we have even less chance without them.

Not saying thats the case, and I dont think those players will go, but you couldnt blame them for being a bit deflated by it all.

I think your use of "fire sale" and flawed logic to support the term (selling 5 players for very good money is not a fire sale, selling them at bargain prices is) takes you from interesting OP to borderline trolling tbh.

Says "so called firesale". Its a media term thats been used all summer. I think the comments in the rest of the post show that my opinion isnt that its a firesale, but that we are not really able to fend off CL interest.

Seems people don't like talking about players going and choose to label it wumming and betwetting etc, whereas the reality is that we are losing players, and will likely lose 4-5 key ones this summer. No harm discussing it, will certainly have much more of an impact than whether the kit is branded or not.

Gone

-----

Shaw

Lambert

Fairly certain to go

------------------

Lovren

Schneiderlin

Lallana

Probables

----------

Fonte

Ramirez

Osvaldo

Possibles

---------

Chambers

We're in big trouble........

Or, more likely, Shaw will go and no others, and we are not in big trouble. If you think the club will sell all those players (whether they want to leave or not) then you are living in la la land.

I am not as pessimistic as some on here seem to be. I would not be surprised to see others force a move but I think "force" is the keyword here.

It is pretty apparent that the club is not going to be able to "invest" in the way we have in previous years. The cost of the training ground and money still owed on players means that we need to be more economical. It is also apparent that we need to increase the size of our 1st team squad.

The club have said that players will only be sold if it right for us. Is it not possible that the decision to sell Shaw (for a massive amount of money) was made months ago with a view to achieving these objectives? Lambert was a one off.

I have said for some time that if we can get through this summer and just lose Shaw, then I would settle for that.

Koeman will now have a shopping list and the dream need not be over.

A fire sale was accepting £5m for Gareth Bale when we were in administration.

Accepting an offer of £30m for an 18yo left back is not.

May I suggest that if you do not wish to be labelled a 'bed-wetter', you don't use such evocative words.

If something that does sadden me, then it is that Shaw has not even had the good grace to meet & speak with Koeman. I hope the others affird him, the club & supporters that respect

Agreed!

Morgan will stay - he's played in the World Cup for France and played very well. That won't be his last appearance for them in this tournament, let alone in future ones. He doesn't need to move.

Will be a bit of pressure on him to join a team in Europe I would have thought. Deschamps comments were interesting on MS playing for a "less high profile club". Think he barely watched him til the last weeks of the season.

I think he would probably not force anything, but if the rumoured interest from the likes of Arsenal is true then he would possibly see it as the ideal time to go, with his star firmly on the rise.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Will be a bit of pressure on him to join a team in Europe I would have thought. Deschamps comments were interesting on MS playing for a "less high profile club".

I think he would probably not force anything, but if the rumoured interest from the likes of Arsenal is true then he would possibly see it as the ideal time to go, with his star firmly on the rise.

Were his comments that interesting?

Were they not just correct?

Were his comments that interesting?

Were they not just correct?

The club bit was correct, but an interesting point that MS was "relatively unknown".

I wouldnt say that is the case in the PL, certainly no less than a Sissoko really. Deschamps barely even watched him til end of this season despite 18 months of quality form against top teams.

Certainly any player in the PL who plays in a decent team shouldnt be relatively unknown to his national Manager.

Hardly a leap to suggest if he played for a bigger club he would have played for France earlier, and he may feel the lacknof European footy will count against him being able to really compete for a start.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Will be a bit of pressure on him to join a team in Europe I would have thought. Deschamps comments were interesting on MS playing for a "less high profile club". Think he barely watched him til the last weeks of the season.

Even if he is seduced by the possibility, why would we sell? I am fairly sure that, as they have stated already, if the deal is not in our interest then it won't happen. Personally I don't believe MS is going anywhere yet,whether he wants to or not.

Even if he is seduced by the possibility, why would we sell? I am fairly sure that, as they have stated already, if the deal is not in our interest then it won't happen. Personally I don't believe MS is going anywhere yet,whether he wants to or not.

Same reason Shaw has gone, Lambert has gone and Lallana and Lovren will go - because they want to for various reasons, CL, trophies, money etc.

Of course only of we get a suitable offer. But that may well come.

Same reason Shaw has gone, Lambert has gone and Lallana and Lovren will go - because they want to for various reasons. Of course only of we get a suitable offer. But that may well come.

I don't think suitable offers will come, because we can and will be demanding extremely inflated fees. I happen to think that we won't sell Lovren either, and it's also increasingly unlikely that anyone will meet our asking price for Lallana. The only players we will sell are the ones Koeman doesn't want. Shaw will go because the fee is ridiculous and will be met.

I don't think suitable offers will come, because we can and will be demanding extremely inflated fees. I happen to think that we won't sell Lovren either, and it's also increasingly unlikely that anyone will meet our asking price for Lallana. The only players we will sell are the ones Koeman doesn't want. Shaw will go because the fee is ridiculous and will be met.

Lallana will go if Liverpool pay what we have asked for which they may well do.

Lovren has been the subject of offers and has handed in a transfer request. Of we get offered double what we paid last year Inwould think that represents a good deal for someone who wants to leave.

Disappointed if we've sold the extremely talented 18 yr old academy graduate so soon. Can't afford to sell anymore of first 11 if we are to have any sense of ambition. Worried about domino effect with lallana, lovren, Morgan and lack of new contracts yet for key players like fonte and cork. Still hoping decision to appoint Koeman was one of ambition and that stable doors will be slammed closed and players and other clubs told that no further sales will be happening this summer

Lallana will go if Liverpool pay what we have asked for which they may well do.

Lovren has been the subject of offers and has handed in a transfer request. Of we get offered double what we paid last year Inwould think that represents a good deal for someone who wants to leave.

Yes I agree that Lallana will go if the offer is right, but at the moment it's not and (obviously just an opinion) it's not ever likely to be. Doubling our money on Lovren would also be a good deal, but it think that's also unlikely. Whether he wants to go or not doesn't come into it (or shouldn't). He is under contract and that's that unless the club decide otherwise. I guess he could go on strike - ask Pierre van Hooijdonk how that can pan out.

Gone

-----

Shaw

Lambert

Fairly certain to go

------------------

Lovren

Schneiderlin

Lallana

Probables

----------

Fonte

Ramirez

Osvaldo

Possibles

---------

Chambers

:lol: What's that saying about things becoming a parody of themselves or something...?

Gone

-----

Shaw

Lambert

Fairly certain to go

------------------

Lovren

Schneiderlin

Lallana

Probables

----------

Fonte

Ramirez

Osvaldo

Possibles

---------

Chambers

Good that we are getting our business done early though mate

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I want to see the club refusing to sell any of our foreign players whom we brought to the UK to Premier League rivals. We have to insist they are sold to clubs abroad. Had Cortese overseen Pochettino's departure he'd have ensured that He and Spud were unable to return to the club to poach players for 1 year. Many clubs make departing managers sign such a clause.

Obviously Koeman hasn't taken any initiative to turn up to talk with the likes of Shaw. Saw Pochettino has been calling Spuds players to introduce himself.

Just feel as sick as it's possible to be of everything football. England's let down, Hodgson staying on, Suarez's match feeding antics and the thoughts of our best every selection being sold off, showing absolutely not one grain of loyalty either to the club, the supporters. I think we owe a certain Rupert Lowe a bit of respect for how he put together a reasonable side with nothing in the coffers. Not even a billionaire owner can prevent what's happening.

I remember 12 years ago saying on SFE, that getting our players playing for the international terms worked against our long term good. Not only do they get their heads filled with believing they're too good for us but it effects all the other players in the squad.

I'm disappointed about Shaw because in my fantasy world we would keep all our academy products to forge one hell of a team in the real world however this is just modern football and 30+ million is good money. I'm quite relaxed about the whole situation as I really don't think Koeman would have come to saints without knowing the lay of the land with regards to players, I'm pretty sure if a mass fire sale was on the cards he wouldn't have bothered, if he is happy he can work with budget and players staying to improve the team then I'm happy enough.

Still it gives St Charlie, dig dig and Alpine plenty to get upset about the three of them have been like pigs in s hit since the last day of the season.....