So how many of you are really washing your hands of saints?

doddisalegend

Clearly there are a lot of upset supporters at the moment, I get that, and I'm just as downcast about the situation as everyone else. However I'm amazed at how many posters want to give up season tickets, think this the worst ever time to be a saints fan in 50 years, never want to set foot in SMS again etc etc. So I'm wondering is this all just anger talking or has the current situation really become the last straw as far as supporting saints for people?

I buy my season ticket to go and SUPPORT my team, through thick and thin. Obviously I want us to have quality players but I will support whoever pulls on the red and white stripes. It will actually be a relief to get back to watching games rather than reading about one departure after another on here. I am still gutted about what is happening though.

Not the last straw, I'll always support Saints, haven't been a season ticket holder since the mid 80s, but like the last few years of Lowe's reign I shan't be giving this regime any of my money. I'm actually finding it hard to work up any enthusiasm for football in general, largely on account of the richer teams not only buying our best players but generally hoovering up most of the talent and then sticking it out on loan. I'm so disillusioned that for the first time since 1995 I don't think I'm going to even bother doing a fantasy team, the world will no doubt weep at its loss.

I love saints so will still hope they do well. Struggling to care much at the moment though. Really wonder what the point is and am disappointed because I felt we had a chance last season to actually win something.

Yes, we did but Poch wasn't interested.

You can't just wash your hands of it, if you can you're not a real fan. We've been through a lot these last few years and seen that many things can happen to a club. But my main issue is the fire sale, I have never seen anything like it in football, something is seriously wrong behind the scenes.

never would wash my hands, probably got to pay for the soap next season, of the 11 players on the field for saints but not prepared to give up my right to criticize the people sitting in first 2 rows of Directors box irrespective of what they did in the past

After the World Cup, the scandal surrounding Qatar 2022, FFP etc. I am like Duncan in thinking football in general is f**ked.

I am done with it at almost all levels. My 10 year-old gave up through bullying in his club. My 13 year-old will play U-16 this year, but his club wont have a U-16 team for him next year and I wont let him play for the full reserves, even though he is built like a brick sh*thouse; hes still a child and the thought of having pot-bellied 30-somethings kicking him in the air is too much. So he will stop and so will my regular following of football.

I cant completely turn my back on the club of my home town - I will always go when I am at home - but I simply cannot bear to witness another slide into oblivion like that which followed the 2005 relegation; its simply far too painful.

The problem is that if you are a true supporter you cannot 'wash your hands' of the team. In the normal course of things players come and players go ; I've seen Channon, Shearer, and Beattie leave, hell Big Ron even went to Pompey. I've seen as many relegations as promotions, and even in the darkest days of Poortvliet and Wotte I went out and supported my team. I've seen the team that finished 2nd behind the scousers, and I've suffered the Branfoot era, and no matter what goes on before the end of August I could NEVER turn my back on my team and walk away.

( Mind you, at the moment the only crumb of comfort is that the many Blackpool ST holders in my office are in a worse position - at least up to now ).

Nope. Still gonna attend games. Bought kids new kits etc, but I have to say my love of football shrinks a little as each year goes by. Its all about the money. The Sky Sports, PL & CL have ruined it for me. We finished second in the old 1st Division just over 30 years ago. That is never likely to happen again. Maybe 3 or 4 teams can win the PL, 7 or 8 try & qualify for CL. Shaw went from £5k to £90k per week. Its utter madness. What's worse, is that us as fans & Saints as a club are punished for developing talent. Its total ********!!!

My youngest wore his Saints kit to training the other day which had Lambert on the back & had the **** taken out of him by Liverpool fans. That hurts. These kids have been once or twice to Anfield or Old Trafford.............................................................

The problem is that if you are a true supporter you cannot 'wash your hands' of the team. In the normal course of things players come and players go ; I've seen Channon, Shearer, and Beattie leave, hell Big Ron even went to Pompey. I've seen as many relegations as promotions, and even in the darkest days of Poortvliet and Wotte I went out and supported my team. I've seen the team that finished 2nd behind the scousers, and I've suffered the Branfoot era, and no matter what goes on before the end of August I could NEVER turn my back on my team and walk away.

Well said, that man. :thumbup:

I can't support anybody else but am likely to be watching a lot more of Exeter City and Plymouth next season.

Unlike the local fans, it's a five hour round trip IF the traffic goes well and a pricey day. Happy to pay it on a regular basis as in recent seasons if I feel the club are giving their all as well but not seeing anything from them at present but just grabbing money, whether it's player sales or ST hikes. Sad as had an ST in 08/09, and that was a really grim year but this feels worse and all the promotions and trips to Carlisle away don't feel like they mean anything now.

Hope Reed proves me wrong and they spend £60-75m on high calibre players before the Leverkusen game and we get the 7 or 8 urgent signings we need but don't think that's the plan anymore. I was glass very much half full until the Chambers sale but now it looks and smells like an asset strip. If moderate fans like me are being disillusioned, they've got massive problems. Was at a family/friends do this weekend back home and a lot of people with STs feel cheated, they won't be buying them again.

The situation is almost past retrievable, we need to see a signing a day for the next few days to restore any sort of confidence.

I renewed my ST but I'm in bits, the board are DESTROYING THE CLUB. It's heartbreaking, I've never known anything like it in 30 years, I mean wtf are they doing, it's gone to far, all the players will be seen as easy targets, Reed and the other complete clowns have ****ed it up good and proper. It's shambolic.

As Didcot said above - it's shambolic. I was probably one of the 1st to renew my ST. If the club offered a refund now I would seriously consider it. As they will not, I will live in hope through what will likely be a very sad season seeing the club disintegrate and then depending on the season and what happens next, I'll decide whether to renew again. All the signs are that I will get more enjoyment doing something else with my £730 - I don't believe in the Policy or Strategy of the club anymore so why should I support it?

rather wash my hands of football in general

Yup. Very very close. Will probably see this season out. Having not missed a game last season save for when I was on hols, I can see myself not bothering going to a fair few, even if it means wasting the ST.

After the World Cup, the scandal surrounding Qatar 2022, FFP etc. I am like Duncan in thinking football in general is f**ked.

I am done with it at almost all levels. My 10 year-old gave up through bullying in his club. My 13 year-old will play U-16 this year, but his club wont have a U-16 team for him next year and I wont let him play for the full reserves, even though he is built like a brick sh*thouse; hes still a child and the thought of having pot-bellied 30-somethings kicking him in the air is too much. So he will stop and so will my regular following of football.

I cant completely turn my back on the club of my home town - I will always go when I am at home - but I simply cannot bear to witness another slide into oblivion like that which followed the 2005 relegation; its simply far too painful.

Alpine, I can see us dropping a league, but not into oblivion. We may well rebuild a great team again. What intrigues me most is how much of the current sale of players will go into the rebuilding of the club.

Bóllocks to that. I've only just got my season ticket. Worst case scenario, the board are clowns of Venky's proportions and we're going to have a couple of interesting seasons before being bought by somebody else. Was never frightened by the prospect of relegation before, certainly not frightened of it now that I've seen it up, close and personal.

Hugely depressing to see all of these players go. End of an era, but with the sums on offer elsewhere, it is difficult to see what the club could have done to stop the players from leaving. Fair play to the lad Chambers for keeping schtum about his move, but that's got to be the most depressing one of all. We've gone from Roy of the Rovers to Raided by Vultures. It is truly shít; maybe the club could have done more, I dunno - but the time to chuck your lot in with Saints was years ago.

Most of us faced the prospect of Saints being out of business, or being in entirely the wrong hands Cov style. If we'd gone to the wall then, it would have been like getting kicked out of football. This is horrible, but it's almost the opposite of those dark days. This is a consequence of success, not of failure.

Let's just hope the vast majority of that cash is reinvested.

I find a bit of historical perspective and looking beyond the immediate helps a bit. The club's been around since 1885. "Projects", managers, players, "owners" come and go but the club and by and large the fans are constants. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the teams we've had over the past four years and I was especially proud of last season's performances and the number of English players in the side. It's a crying shame it's being dismantled so brutally but all,those that pass through are mere custodians and we the fans should remain proud of our club.

No course not, firstly lets see what the transfers are, secondly lets see how the next batch of academy graduates get on and thirdly the champ is a great league - much more real than the plastic prem so I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest playing in it.

The club almost didn't exist 5 years ago, this pales into insignificance compared to that.

I buy my season ticket to go and SUPPORT my team, through thick and thin. Obviously I want us to have quality players but I will support whoever pulls on the red and white stripes. It will actually be a relief to get back to watching games rather than reading about one departure after another on here. I am still gutted about what is happening though.

THIS

I am genuinely sick of the way football is being run and the snouts in the money trough, so like few others I feel like giving up on football altogether.

As far as our club is concerned, of course, players come and go but to follow a club there needs to be some continuity over the years. This sale of virtually the whole team is unprecedented and worse still it has been done voluntarily by a management that has consistently misled the fans throughout, even down to Les Reed's last statement. I won't wash my hands of the club I've supported for over 50 years but as long as these people are in charge, I won't give a penny of my money to them and I won't actually care about the results next season, in fact I will probably be glad if they are relegated as the best way of getting rid of Reed and Kruguer, and hopefully the Leibherr woman as well. I feel sure that Koeman has been misled and will be surprised if he sees the season out.

thirdly the champ is a great league - much more real than the plastic prem so I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest playing in it.

A lot to be said for that, look at these clubs making up the numbers in the PL from 10th-17th each year, im not sure d actually want to be that for the next 10 years, dull as dishwater

Hope we strengthen, but I will say I love Saints whatever, and just going to enjoy the ride ;)

The anger I feel currently shows I clearly have not washed my hands of Saints, but the worry is that as we now reach the 6th and 7th player sale, the anger turns to apathy. I have a season ticket, but if I had to renew this week rather than several weeks ago, am not sure what I would have done.

All very well saying support Saints whatever (and for 20+ years I have), but this team has been asset stripped to a level never previously seen. I didn't enjoy spending several hundred quid watching out of their depth kids with a Dutch manager before, I am not sure I want to do it again.

A lot to be said for that, look at these clubs making up the numbers in the PL from 10th-17th each year, im not sure d actually want to be that for the next 10 years, dull as dishwater

It is a good league but parachute payments have gone up massively so Sky is infecting the Championship as well.

I won't stop supporting the team and looking out for results etc. But I won't plough Any more money into the club while this regime is here. People can call me a plastic fan but I won't feed liars. Needs change from the top. Even rupert was not this bad.

I won't stop supporting the team and looking out for results etc. But I won't plough Any more money into the club while this regime is here. People can call me a plastic fan but I won't feed liars. Needs change from the top. Even rupert was not this bad.

He really was...

I find myself losing interest & not caring as much these days - not just with regards to Southampton, but football in general...

With the new FFP rules in place, the big teams will continue to improve at the expense of the so-called smaller teams, while the gap between 'them' & 'us' looks set to widen even further. I'm no glory fan either - I've supported us all my life & have paid for a season ticket for the last 15 years+ - but the mass exodus this summer has made me wonder if striving to improve & achieve in the game is worth it, given that the top teams can tear your team apart by luring your top talent away at the first signs of success/promise.

I'm as disillusioned as I'll ever be with the game & I wonder; is football really worth my time & money anymore?

I used to live our relegation battles, and truth be told I got a bit bored towards the end of last season with nothing to play for. Sad thing is, this season we won't be in a relegation battle either. We will be down before March IMO. Nevertheless, I'm still an idiot, Will still spend money on the club and continue to do so when we're back lingering in the bottom third of the Championship again.

I Love football absolutely love it

I’ve played Hampshire league\Southampton League football every season for the last 16 years, I managed a team for the last 3 seasons. I’ve won a few leagues, got to a few cup finals & my last game as a player/manager came in May at a Hampshire cup final. I’ve subsequently “retired” to spend time with my young family.

I wouldn’t call myself an armchair fan as I’d like to think, although at an amateur level I’ve still been involved in association football for 16 years at a reasonable level & I understand what it’s like dealing with 16-20 individuals & their personalities. I’d like to think I have a better tactical understanding than those that haven’t played the game at a competitive level.

I’d also hope I have an eye for a player, especially understanding how important partnerships are & how important an “unfashionable” player can be when it comes to the balance of a side.

I was really looking forward to enjoying the new premier league season, I’ve not really had the opportunity to listen to games on the radio or attend Saturday afternoon games or watch soccer Saturday on a Saturday afternoon as I’ve always been out playing or managing.

However I have never ever been as disillusioned with football as I am now. This is supposed to be the best league in the world, yet it’s a league where financial fair play does more to create a monopoly for the top clubs than it does to actually create a level playing field.

A league where football clubs have become rich commodities for the super rich, it’s just business to them, nothing more than business.

The purity of the game that I’ve been so in love with at grassroots level over the last 16 years is simply non-existent at the top level.

Why hire a good coach when he’ll be poached by a wealthier club, why invest in youth when the best players move to the bigger clubs? That’s not sportsmanship, that’s not ethical in a sporting sense.

Why invest any time in improving your club as a sporting entity when the commercially rich clubs will just swop and purchase all your hard work or worse still the owners will sell to satisfy business needs.

I honestly think I’ll stick with grass roots, watch some amateur games & lower league football. Its more honest, its pure, its not corrupt, its not business… its just sport and that’s what I like… sport

Lived the club for 40 years season ticket as Long as I can remember did nearly all always last year. Can't turn my back BUT I am fed up with football in general and no longer am I going to fight to get my 2 kids to support Southampton. All their mates support top 6 sides and one in particular Has a soft spot for Chelsea because all his mates support them. I have always taught them the joy of being a fan outside those few clubs. The agony but family togetherness it brings. Selling the occasional star was fine and expected but this is something else.how dare they send me that **** with my season ticket about saints fans when they were plotting to just sail us down the river? I will write my thoughts about what they have done this summer and hopefully they will send that out with all the cancellations?

I may feel different with a change in ownership but KL is spoiling every legacy that her father built whether deliberately or through naively trusting some ****ing muppets to run the club for her.

There is nothing in modern football outside the top 6 so next time one ask's for a top 6 team shirt I will Buy him one and get tickets to a couple of their games.

At least then I won't have to look them in the eye and tell them why their heroes have left because some fat bird with no interest in football is currently raping our club.

I am so hoping that tomorrow we spend 100 million and I look a total ****. However I am not going to hold my breathe as the silence from the club speaks volumes at present.

rather wash my hands of football in general

Pretty pointless these days isn't it? When transfer fees are now regularly £70m+, it's quite a pointless existence for provincial clubs like us.

I love saints so will still hope they do well. Struggling to care much at the moment though. Really wonder what the point is and am disappointed because I felt we had a chance last season to actually win something.

This and this.

Also I'd like to add, I partly feel like it's the sort of ignorance is bliss situation if you know what I mean. It's the fact of thinking we could have achieved something and become a 'bigger' club, not just be your average Joe floating around mid to lower table. But now it's all been taken away, wouldn't have minded the ignorance of just being happy finishing 13th or something.

I will never wash my hands if saints

Saints are for life

Something unsettling us going on at the club or it maybe some if the players who have left have been very disruptive

I would like the club to issue a statement on what us going on .

Has any team ever been stripped off its assets after being successful like we were last season

I'm hurting but I will keep the faith . We have an excellent manager and so far have got two excellent signings

Keep the faith as the futures red and white and orange .

The fact the season ticket renewal date was earlier this year = get the money in earlier( before the player sales)

Get in a big name manager, sell some more Season Tickets ( fans think big name signings possible)

Sell half the team ( sell the dream sold to Koeman)

Koeman resigns and Saints end up with team of academy players and lowest points tally since Derby

or Koeman is superman, has better players already lined up and we can expect half of the Barcelona squad to arrive this week?

Paid out good money to see a team, proud of the spirit and feel around the club, now what did I pay my money for?

yes still support the club trouble is the club has moved on , its now in the North West, thought we had chance to break mould of being a feeder club, watched it happen with other greats leaving, but only 1 at a time except Shilts and Wright, can't see anything other than a TV humiliation on 1st day and KL will reap what she's sown, a championship club and the remaining players leaving, but the rides been good but doubt I'll ever invest again in a seasons commitment to be treated with such distain by the players who we've built up and worshipped