Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Nothing against Morgan personally but I really hope it goes totally pear shaped for him as spectacularly as possible and he misses out on the Euros from not playing regularly. It would be ironic, as his departure was one that was more amicably and professionally handled by all concerned, but such an enormous fall from grace would serve as a dire warning to the likes of Wanyama and all the other Prima Donnas who see their career progression at a 'Bigger' club than Saints, use us as a stepping stone then destabilise us each summer.

Nothing against Morgan personally but I really hope it goes totally pear shaped for him as spectacularly as possible and he misses out on the Euros from not playing regularly. It would be ironic, as his departure was one that was more amicably and professionally handled by all concerned, but such an enormous fall from grace would serve as a dire warning to the likes of Wanyama and all the other Prima Donnas who see their career progression at a 'Bigger' club than Saints, use us as a stepping stone then destabilise us each summer.

This but I also think we've done well out of it. Clasie and Romeo I think on balance have made up for Morgan. Both younger and also Romeo started breaking into Box which Morgan didn't do v often.

That's a nice thought, but at the end of the day it all comes down to £££££. Take that twat Chambers for example: I doubt he's losing much sleep about sitting on the Arse bench most of the time.

does that mean the answer is no?

Possibly (I couldn't be arsed to check). But the point is I don't have a problem if we go out, as long as the manager does his best. We lost to Palace and Liverpool this year with (on paper) our strongest line ups. Unlike what MP did against Sunderland.

Possibly (I couldn't be arsed to check). But the point is I don't have a problem if we go out, as long as the manager does his best. We lost to Palace and Liverpool this year with (on paper) our strongest line ups. Unlike what MP did against Sunderland.

again, not looked. What about when we got knock out by a league 1 outfit?

Toby is far more the reason Spurs are doing well than Pochettino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a ridiculous statement! Of course Toby is part of their success, we could all see last season just how good he was and everyone thought he was too good for saints, but to think he's the only reason is madness.

I honestly don't understand a section of our fans that can't see how good Poch' was/is. The guy is fast coming up to be one of the elite group of managers and i fully expect him at some point in his career to manage a genuinely big side (United and him would be the perfect fit in my opinion).

Poch is a good manager and probably better than Koeman - of course that is subjective, and you could point to our finish higher last season showing Koeman is better than Poch. Different tools at hand for each, so hard to really judge. Having said that I prefer Koeman as he is more approachable and affable.

And this thing with Alderweireld - do people think that we would have done any better with him rather than Virgil? Personally, and of course it is again opinion, I don't and think VVD is an awesome player and physically even more imposing than TA. Actually I find that strange...TA is 187cm (6'1 and a bit) while VVD is 193cm (6'4)..so not really a huge difference on paper.

And this thing with Alderweireld - do people think that we would have done any better with him rather than Virgil?

I thought the only desire was to see VVD and Toby in the same Saints line up but hey, that's all history. Happy with Koeman. Happy with VVD. Happy with Fonte.

Poch has done well at Spurs despite a shaky start. It's really good management - those that don't sign up to his approach are shown the door. But as you say, I would on balance prefer Koeman.

Poch is a good manager and probably better than Koeman - of course that is subjective, and you could point to our finish higher last season showing Koeman is better than Poch. Different tools at hand for each, so hard to really judge. Having said that I prefer Koeman as he is more approachable and affable.

And this thing with Alderweireld - do people think that we would have done any better with him rather than Virgil? Personally, and of course it is again opinion, I don't and think VVD is an awesome player and physically even more imposing than TA. Actually I find that strange...TA is 187cm (6'1 and a bit) while VVD is 193cm (6'4)..so not really a huge difference on paper.

I think three inches is quite a bit. 6'1 puts you on the same level as many and shorter than quite a few forwards these days. The few strikers on the same level or taller than VVD are likely to be immobile as most defenders in his height class.

VVD's other notable virtue in addition to his physically imposing frame is his mobility and ability to stride effortlessly across the pitch. It reminds me of observations about Rory Delap back in the day.

I tend to agree that we couldn't have expected any better with Alderweireld instead. It would have been amazing to have both. We don't know that is was one or the other, though given the price and our overall spending it seems overwhelmingly likely.

What a ridiculous statement! Of course Toby is part of their success, we could all see last season just how good he was and everyone thought he was too good for saints, but to think he's the only reason is madness.

I honestly don't understand a section of our fans that can't see how good Poch' was/is. The guy is fast coming up to be one of the elite group of managers and i fully expect him at some point in his career to manage a genuinely big side (United and him would be the perfect fit in my opinion).

If you read the words I didn't say he was the only reason. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was disappointed when Poch left and thought he was making a big mistake. I thought like all of his predecessors he would have Spurs ambling around in the lower top half for a while and then Levy would fire him early in the current season. However, Poch has proved me wrong and has definitely delivered for Spurs. Even if they don't win the Prem (and I think they will) they will qualify for the Champions League and have the best chance in years of finishing above Arsenal. So fair play to him, and if Leicester can't win it, then I am happy for it to be Spurs.

The sad thing is, the current squad will look and see how our former players have got on with their moves "for champions league football" and "to fight for trophies", but I highly doubt any would be any less inclined to push for a move if the opportunity arose.

At least now if someone was leaving for Liverpool, they'd just have to admit that it was for the money.

I think three inches is quite a bit. 6'1 puts you on the same level as many and shorter than quite a few forwards these days. The few strikers on the same level or taller than VVD are likely to be immobile as most defenders in his height class.

As I am 6'3ish (ie half way between the two) maybe my opinion on the difference is a little clouded.

I was disappointed when Poch left and thought he was making a big mistake. I thought like all of his predecessors he would have Spurs ambling around in the lower top half for a while and then Levy would fire him early in the current season. However, Poch has proved me wrong and has definitely delivered for Spurs. Even if they don't win the Prem (and I think they will) they will qualify for the Champions League and have the best chance in years of finishing above Arsenal. So fair play to him, and if Leicester can't win it, then I am happy for it to be Spurs.

He has and is doing very well. There is no point trying to say that Spurs have made a mistake, because after the first season bedding in, doing well on the back of many late goals/lucky results, he is doing just fine this season and I think that they are more likely to win the league than Leicester. He has also been "fortunate" (as we all have to some degree) in that Chelsea are completely out of it, as are Man U. Man C could also be included to a lesser extent as well. TBH, while I dislike Spurs more than most clubs, it would be good if Leicester felll at the last few that they won the league rather than one of the big spenders. Look at Spurs and their transfer business and it is quite impressive, of course helped by Bale of which that was spunked away pretty quickly. They must have a good scout! :o

The sad thing is, the current squad will look and see how our former players have got on with their moves "for champions league football" and "to fight for trophies", but I highly doubt any would be any less inclined to push for a move if the opportunity arose.

At least now if someone was leaving for Liverpool, they'd just have to admit that it was for the money.

in one respect i can see a player under contract with he club being less incentivised to **** off elsewhere.

if i look at it from alderweireld's perspective, southampton needed to spend most of the summer transfer budget to stand still, while joining tottenham meaningfully improved them.

No come on now, they'd go because they've always dreamed of playing at Anfield in such a special atmosphere (by special, they mean the speakers playing you'll never walk along at full blast followed by 90 minutes of total silence, unless they're losing in which case you can just about hear them slating their own players). Such a special place

The one thing I will say about Pochettino is that by getting squad depth and finding kids who can do the job he might be able to manage challenging in two competitions - his players are being rotated very cleverly, mostly in blocks so they retain the understanding they've built up but also get a rest which is essential with his preferred Bielsa-esque pressing style, and unlike when he was at Saints, with Spurs he has good enough players that the quality doesn't drop off much.

Poch/Spurs got *very* lucky with Kane, I think it's fair to say that no-one saw his rapid development coming, I don't know how much was true about the rumours that he was looking to ship him out, but he certainly did seem reluctant to through him in to the first team. Take him out of that side, and they'd be a lot lower.

Nothing against Morgan personally but I really hope it goes totally pear shaped for him as spectacularly as possible and he misses out on the Euros from not playing regularly.

On the one hand I'd of liked to have seen him go on to become the world top defensive midfielder as you can take a certain amount of pride in his development, but on the other I'm more than happy to see any player leave us for better things fail. Once they have left they are dead to me. They are our enemy. Once they retire they then become saints again.

Could he ever come back? It's rare. But the shift in money mean maybe it could happen. Or do all failed United players have to go to Everton or Sunderland?

On the one hand I'd of liked to have seen him go on to become the world top defensive midfielder as you can take a certain amount of pride in his development, but on the other I'm more than happy to see any player leave us for better things fail. Once they have left they are dead to me. They are our enemy. Once they retire they then become saints again.

Could he ever come back? It's rare. But the shift in money mean maybe it could happen. Or do all failed United players have to go to Everton or Sunderland?

We are arguably just as strong or stronger without Morgan..... We probably made home look decent here but he does have some quite weak areas and is not world class.

Move on....

Oh, this is a classic, the full force: "I'm well aware of how good this team can be, I felt the full force of them that day and if the boys can put a performance on like that at the weekend, they have a great chance of winning."

I hope they get hammered, so that self-pity city can wallow in self-pity once more...

Oh, this is a classic, the full force: "I'm well aware of how good this team can be, I felt the full force of them that day and if the boys can put a performance on like that at the weekend, they have a great chance of winning."

I hope they get hammered, so that self-pity city can wallow in self-pity once more...

You could argue he was the reason they ran riot that night !

It's actually quite amusing how he is speaking like he is part of the team. Let's face it, he did 90 minutes in the 4th round of the FA Cup when they drew 0-0 with WHU, but wasn't in the squad for the replay. In fact that game on 30th Jan was the last time he played. Transfermrkt says in the PL he had 2 minutes vs Arsenal and a minute each vs Man U and Norwich (which excludes ET) and that's it.. Since then (the 23rd of Jan) he wasn't in the squad for the PL games vs LCFC or SAFC and was on the bench for AVFC.