Defectors Watch

adrian lord

I feel a bit sad for Morgan; he always gave his best for us from the day he signed, he grew, got his international debut and then quite rightly got his bug club move. But he's so far, becoming yet another ex-Saint who has moved on and isn't doing well.

I'm struggling to think of a Saint who has moved on and excelled, except for Bale?

Alf Ramsey did quite well

pretty sad for Morgan. he was an outstanding player for us

Had he got the move he wanted - to Arsenal

he would be a fixture in their side and playing well IMO

Yep, he would have been much better at Arsenal, Wenger would have known how to play him, LVG never really wanted him I don't think.

pretty sad for Morgan. he was an outstanding player for us

Had he got the move he wanted - to Arsenal

he would be a fixture in their side and playing well IMO

I doubt it. Fact is he just isn't good enough on the ball at the moment for him to impress playing for a big team. His best games for us came against the better teams, usually away from home, when we would be on the back foot looking to contain teams and his defensive work was highlighted. He's now being asked to be part of breaking teams down, and he isn't capable of passing quickly enough or ambitiously enough to to make an impression. His interception stats are irrelevant when you play for Man United and are being asked to break teams down every week, home and away. Look at Wanyama's best games this season: v arsenal and v United, for exactly the same reason

The expectations of a defensive midfielder are different at the top clubs as the emphasis is on what they can do with the ball and not what they're doing without it. I doubt Morgan cares if he fails though, he's got the big contract he spent his career working for

I doubt it. Fact is he just isn't good enough on the ball at the moment for him to impress playing for a big team. His best games for us came against the better teams, usually away from home, when we would be on the back foot looking to contain teams and his defensive work was highlighted. He's now being asked to be part of breaking teams down, and he isn't capable of passing quickly enough or ambitiously enough to to make an impression. His interception stats are irrelevant when you play for Man United and are being asked to break teams down every week, home and away. Look at Wanyama's best games this season: v arsenal and v United, for exactly the same reason

The expectations of a defensive midfielder are different at the top clubs as the emphasis is on what they can do with the ball and not what they're doing without it. I doubt Morgan cares if he fails though, he's got the big contract he spent his career working for

that is very harsh when he is playing for the worst united side in 30 years

no player in that team looks good. Di Maria came in, who was clearly world class and stunk the place out

that is very harsh when he is playing for the worst united side in 30 years

no player in that team looks good. Di Maria came in, who was clearly world class and stunk the place out

Compare his passing to Clasie. Morgan gets it, takes a touch, passes sideways or back to his centre halves. Clasie meanwhile is passing it forwards first time before teams can organise, releasing Long or Mane. If Morgan wants to make it there he will have to quicken up his passing and make it more incisive.

Morgan is one of the best defensive players in the league, but to play as a central midfielder for a really big club you need more than just defensive skills. That may be harsh but frankly Morgan is playing his part in making United so boring currently. Certainly not the only one to blame, but he's playing his part

Rubbishing players who have left Southampton is always a jolly way of warming up a cold Saturday afternoon but there is still a need to be careful.

"Man U the worst united side in 30 years" - The current team is 5th in the Prem and still 4 points above Saints. They finished season 2013-14 in 7th place in the Prem under David Moyes, so not quite confirmed the worst side yet.

Argue with this list by all means, but Caulker, Alderweireld, Schneiderlin, Lallana, Clyne, Lovren, Lambert, Shaw, Boruk, Dyer, Puncheon, Surman, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain are on the books of eight other Premier league clubs. Ten of those players are with five of the clubs who are currently above Saints in the League table. For different reasons. Loveren, Lambert and Shaw are making little or no contribution to their present clubs but overall the defectors haven't done too badly by their moves. Sorry as I was to see several of them go, I'm more than content with their replacements. It could be argued that whilst the strongest players in that list would be the equals of what we now have that is about as far as you might go.

Compare his passing to Clasie. Morgan gets it, takes a touch, passes sideways or back to his centre halves. Clasie meanwhile is passing it forwards first time before teams can organise, releasing Long or Mane. If Morgan wants to make it there he will have to quicken up his passing and make it more incisive.

Morgan is one of the best defensive players in the league, but to play as a central midfielder for a really big club you need more than just defensive skills. That may be harsh but frankly Morgan is playing his part in making United so boring currently. Certainly not the only one to blame, but he's playing his part

The passing side ways and backwards is Morgan doing what his manager wants the whole man u team are doing it. Van Gal wants ball possession above all else so Morgan isn't being asked to break teams down but keep hold of the ball and play safety first. Man U should be a much better team than they are it's their manager who is killing them with his style.

The passing side ways and backwards is Morgan doing what his manager wants the whole man u team are doing it. Van Gal wants ball possession above all else so Morgan isn't being asked to break teams down but keep hold of the ball and play safety first. Man U should be a much better team than they are it's their manager who is killing them with his style.

Morgan is brilliant defensively, has two great feet, and can spread the ball wide with 50-yard passes very well. But is not an incisive passer in the middle of the park, under pressure and in tight spaces (as Clasie is). Those are the types of players the big teams need to break down stubborn visitors.

It really has been odd how so many have achieved less than they apparently should have, after leaving us. It's quite gratifying though. Morgan really was an incredible player, who is struggling to find his game at MU.

incredible that we may have survived the loss of the best midfielder, defender and full backs we had seen at the club in many years.

There was a great moment yesterday when Clasie beat Schneiderlin to a tackle as of to say look I'm your replacement and I can do it better than you. Would be nice to see him to well, his was one of the few moves I was pleased for.

Morgan is the only player that's left that I'd have back in a heartbeat.

Yeah well that's given but I was really only talking about the last two summers otherwise I'd have the Ox back to.

chamberlain needs to leave arsenal

I do wonder what his stats look like for the last couple of years

rarely starts, rarely plays, scores a couple of goal with the very odd purple patch that lasts about 5 games

edit. Just looked He has 6 assist and 6 goals in 97 league games played (50 of which he was a sub or subbed) Since he joined arsenal 4 years ago or so

absolutely shocking really

yet, he will be a cert for the Euro's

Edited by Batman

Still SMS for me. Always asked to do his best and from a very young age mostly ? did no less. As I have bleeted I thought he would move on well before lala etc. Hope that he either moves to a better team or they get a better management / coaching set up.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Nope VVD is good enough as the last 3 clean sheets have shown and toby played us like a pack of cards

The thing is that Fonte is going to be getting worse as he ages so I would like a good young defender to slowly take over for him. Yoshida is not that person. Gardos we cannot evaluate but we can rightly be skeptical. Stephens and Turnball are not there yet and may never be. So yes I would take Toby back. We could play him in a back three with Bertrand as the wing back.

rarely starts, rarely plays, scores a couple of goal with the very odd purple patch that lasts about 5 games

edit. Just looked He has 6 assist and 6 goals in 97 league games played (50 of which he was a sub or subbed) Since he joined arsenal 4 years ago or so

Chambers probably needs to leave Arsenal too. After the first few months, he has hardly played. And he will not be going to the Euro's (one would hope).

I've said it before Wenger has wasted Theo and is doing the same with Aoc and Chambers , also saw a good stat yesterday saying Alli has more goals this season than Wiltshire has in his whole career!

I feel a bit sad for Morgan; he always gave his best for us from the day he signed, he grew, got his international debut and then quite rightly got his bug club move. But he's so far, becoming yet another ex-Saint who has moved on and isn't doing well.

I'm struggling to think of a Saint who has moved on and excelled, except for Bale?

Ted Drake.

Morgan sliding to obscure anonymity with an anonymous Man U side. Oh dear.

No great surprise if Morgan moves on at the end of a fairly insignificant season at Man U , especially if as expected LVG departs and a new man comes in.

What I fear is that he may end up with Pochetino at spurs, which will be a pretty bitter end.

"Mauricio Pochettino refuses to be rushed into signing a striker after having his fingers burned with Dani Osvaldo at Southampton."

No, you burned our fingers, you bastard.

God Liverpool were lucky to win that. . Didn't have a single shot on Target all game and scraped through on penalties. Butland went the wrong way every single penalty.. I was always taught when I used to play in goal that if you stand in the middle and then go when the ball has been kicked, you'll always save some of the weaker penalties.. It seems professionals get taught different lol.

this is why lallana, lovren and clyne moved to liverpool. money and the chance to play at wembley with silverware up for grabs. don't see us making a cup final like ever.

Yep, we'll never be as good as Liverpool....scraping through against Carlisle and Stoke on penalties is something totally beyond our grasp... ;)

this is why lallana, lovren and clyne moved to liverpool. money and the chance to play at wembley with silverware up for grabs. don't see us making a cup final like ever.

You probably need to get over the fact that Liverpool are a much bigger club than us, and therefore an attractive proposition for most of our players. Don't let it bother you.

As for cup finals, again you're wrong. I had a great day out at Wembley a couple of years ago with about 45,000 other Saints fans - we won too..!

Football, it's all relative you know.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

We smashed Arsenal 4-0, ergo they don't stand a chance of winning the league...? :)

nor do we though lol... oh well. really do hope they lose that final haha.

You probably need to get over the fact that Liverpool are a much bigger club than us, and therefore an attractive proposition for most of our players. Don't let it bother you.

As for cup finals, again you're wrong. I had a great day out at Wembley a couple of years ago with about 45,000 other Saints fans - we won too..!

Football, it's all relative you know.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

i acknowledge that- just really don't want to see lallana or lovren lifting a trophy at the end of this.

nor do we though lol... oh well. really do hope they lose that final haha.

i acknowledge that- just really don't want to see lallana or lovren lifting a trophy at the end of this.

:thumbup: Hopefully City will win it then there's an extra Europa place. In normal circumstances I'd be hoping Everton win it as it's boring seeing the same teams win the cups again and again but we have got so good the last few years that finishing 7th or 6th is actually a possibility. :smug:

:thumbup: Hopefully City will win it then there's an extra Europa place. In normal circumstances I'd be hoping Everton win it as it's boring seeing the same teams win the cups again and again but we have got so good the last few years that finishing 7th or 6th is actually a possibility. :smug:

Good point. I was wondering who to support tonight.

Leicester 2 Liverpool 0 - great quote on RAWK:

Re: Leicester 2 v 0 Liverpool 2/2/16 Vardy 59 & 72

« Reply #389 on: Today at 09:47:38 PM »

Watching Lallana at southampton, and then for us kind of makes me think we just make good players ****, and **** players even worse.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=325951.360

I notice we've crept above them now :)

To be honest, if not in the summer, then the season after...I can see Lallana ended up at a Newcastle or Stoke level of club (or ourselves, but that won't happen...!).

It's never happened for him there, hard to say why, but when you look at all the players who left us, they all look half the player. I think we really defined the word team, we had a group that just worked so well together and it's a shame they were all tempted by the $$$$ as they had something good together here, sod them saying the ambition had gone etc, they just wanted more dollar.