Defectors Watch

adrian lord

Cry me a river mate, he's a 20 year millionaire who's picked up an injury in his job and will now be sat on his arse for the next year earning 100k odd each week, get some perspective ffs.

What the **** has that got to do with him breaking his leg?

The money and the fracture are unrelated of course, but I suppose PP's point was that his situation isn't as bad as for an ordinary bloke suffering a similar injury. If someone on 25k a year breaks their leg, it can affect their ability to earn money for their family – money they need much more than a millionaire – and they have to make do with occasional trips to an NHS physio. They also get zero sympathy except from a few close mates. Shaw is going to get the best treatment, all while being paid six-figures a week. That should soften the blow slightly, even if it has nothing to do with the injury itself. I guess that's what PP was getting at.

The money and the fracture are unrelated of course, but I suppose PP's point was that his situation isn't as bad as for an ordinary bloke suffering a similar injury. If someone on 25k a year breaks their leg, it can affect their ability to earn money for their family – money they need much more than a millionaire – and they have to make do with occasional trips to an NHS physio. They also get zero sympathy except from a few close mates. Shaw is going to get the best treatment, all while being paid six-figures a week. That should soften the blow slightly, even if it has nothing to do with the injury itself. I guess that's what PP was getting at.

"It ain't what you do its the way that you do it" - Bananarama, February 1982

I don't think anyones saying that. It's a shame and a horrible injury for anyone to suffer, but in all honesty if i could swap places with him right now i absolutely would. I'd suffer much worse injuries for that amount of money.

But how is his salary relevant to him having broken his leg? People (inc yourself now) are just spitting out nonsense hypotheticals. This isn't the 'I'd Do X For X Amount Of Money' thread :p

Edited by Donatello

I don't think anyones saying that. It's a shame and a horrible injury for anyone to suffer, but in all honesty if i could swap places with him right now i absolutely would. I'd suffer much worse injuries for that amount of money.

£250K to chop your knob off?

The defectors really have been a bit cursed since they left, haven't they.

Ah, for once you agree with me. In Luke's case is is tragic seeing how well he has played in the past few weeks and how he has been struck down.

He cannot say that I didn't warn him as he was about to sign for Man U. It was the wrong move and the wrong moment in time. His abandonment of Saints when he did was linked to his Karma and I told him would pay badly if he chose money and material comforts over not filling his current destiny with Saints. This was not to say he was not to move away in the future. Just it was the wrong moment in his destiny.

Luke is born the 12th of July, and shares his birth date with Julius Caesar who met his destiny by ignoring the IDES of MARCH. (15th March)

Yesterday, by strange coincidence was the IDES OF SEPTEMBER, the 15th of September. Indeed a rendezvous with destiny for poor Luke.

My heart goes our to him, and know just how much this dreadful setback means to him. He has worked hard but has struggled against the tide due to his impatience to leave Saints.

However like Caesar "HE CAME, HE HAS SEEN AND NOW HE WILL CONQUER"

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a return stronger and even better in the future.

Ah, for once you agree with me. In Luke's case is is tragic seeing how well he has played in the past few weeks and how he has been struck down.

He cannot say that I didn't warn him as he was about to sign for Man U. It was the wrong move and the wrong moment in time. His abandonment of Saints when he did was linked to his Karma and I told him would pay badly if he chose money and material comforts over not filling his current destiny with Saints. This was not to say he was not to move away in the future. Just it was the wrong moment in his destiny.

Luke is born the 12th of July, and shares his birth date with Julius Caesar who met his destiny by ignoring the IDES of MARCH. (15th March)

Yesterday, by strange coincidence was the IDES OF SEPTEMBER, the 15th of September. Indeed a rendezvous with destiny for poor Luke.

My heart goes our to him, and know just how much this dreadful setback means to him. He has worked hard but has struggled against the tide due to his impatience to leave Saints.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a return stronger and even better in the future.

You fruitloop. This injury proves that he made the right deal at the right time. He could easily have had a similar injury at saints and he wouldn't have had the multi million pounds to cushion the blow.

Sadly your attempt to link Luke's injury with fate and historical dates is fatally flawed. The Ides of September falls on the 13th, not the 15th, as any classical scholar would know. It is a common misconception that the Ides falls on the 15th of each month, in fact the Ides fall on the 15th only March, May, July and October.

For future reference the following needs to be learned by all posters wishing to post accurately about Roman calendars:

• The Kalends always falls on the first of the month
  • The Nones falls on the fifth, except as described by the following poem:
    March, July, October, May
    The Nones are on the seventh day
  • The Ides falls 8 days after the Nones.

:smug:

My favourite post on the SaintsWeb Forum. Ever.

:)

Sadly your attempt to link Luke's injury with fate and historical dates is fatally flawed. The Ides of September falls on the 13th, not the 15th, as any classical scholar would know. It is a common misconception that the Ides falls on the 15th of each month, in fact the Ides fall on the 15th only March, May, July and October.

For future reference the following needs to be learned by all posters wishing to post accurately about Roman calendars:

• The Kalends always falls on the first of the month
  • The Nones falls on the fifth, except as described by the following poem:
    March, July, October, May
    The Nones are on the seventh day
  • The Ides falls 8 days after the Nones.

:smug:

A curse upon you sir. Was about to post this confident that no-one else on here would know, but reassuring that there are others with a classical education.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

You fruitloop. This injury proves that he made the right deal at the right time. He could easily have had a similar injury at saints and he wouldn't have had the multi million pounds to cushion the blow.

this is true and basically makes the case that any player valued significantly higher than we would pay to fill his position should be sold as if we lost them long term we'd have thrown away the difference.

Seems a generous offer. Are you sure you've actually got the money Goaty?

What you going to do with it after, or is that a private matter?

I wasn't offering. Merely trying to establish the going rate for injuring various parts of Saint_clark.

Never know when things like that may come in handy.

Maybe £100k per centimetre was a bit generous anyway.

Different calendar of course. There wasn't a July or August when Julius was born.

The Julian Calendar replaced the ancient Roman Calendar in BC 45 by Julius Caesar's authority and his birthdate was thus calculated as the 12th of July.

I thank VectisSaint for posting the classic methods used to calculate special dates. For many a year I have fallen back into using the modern habit of using the 13th and 15th of the month based on 30 days to a month.

Even Gavin Davies warned of the Fed and the Ides of September back in the summer where he used today's date of the 16th of September as the date of warning for markets.

http://blogs.ft.com/gavyndavies/2015/07/19/beware-the-fed-on-the-ides-of-september/

Even Gavin Davies warned of the Fed and the Ides of September back in the summer where he used today's date of the 16th of September as the date of warning for markets.

http://blogs.ft.com/gavyndavies/2015/07/19/beware-the-fed-on-the-ides-of-september/

Just can't get the staff these days, illiterate economist bloggers. Taunton's has a lot to answer for. ;)

Just can't get the staff these days, illiterate economist bloggers. Taunton's has a lot to answer for. ;)

don't remember too many of those when I was there, mind you they probably passed most of their time smokng behind the roller under the chestnut tree, whereas we sporty science types played football in the Cage.

The Julian Calendar replaced the ancient Roman Calendar in BC 45 by Julius Caesar's authority and his birthdate was thus calculated as the 12th of July.

I thank VectisSaint for posting the classic methods used to calculate special dates. For many a year I have fallen back into using the modern habit of using the 13th and 15th of the month based on 30 days to a month.

The 12th is s an estimate.

Somewhat belated news about a former player, so apologies if this has already been discussed:

http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/slaande-elia-weet-uiterlijk-vrijdag-waar-hij-aan-toe-is.htm

Elia was given a red card and a 4 match ban for hitting an opponent while playing for the Feyenoord reserves...

Interestingly I was talking to one of German colleagues who used to drink in the same bar as Elia when he was there, apparently not a very nice human being.

Is there anyone who has left Southampton FC since we returned to the Prem League whose career has improved since leaving? For Clyne and Schneiderlin its too early to pass judgement although Clyne's new team isn't setting the world on fire and although Morgan's club are 2nd in the table, reports suggest that performances are lacklustre even before you consider how much cash they have splashed. Perhaps Jack Cork would say his career has improved as he is a more regular starter for Swansea than he was here but there does seem to be a tendency for players to do better here than elsewhere.

Is there anyone who has left Southampton FC since we returned to the Prem League whose career has improved since leaving?

The following:

Dejan Lovren

Adam Lallana

Luke Shaw

All play regularly for a team that finished above us in the league.

Jason Puncheon could be argued, though he plays for Palace. His performances have certainly kicked on but he *****il now, anyway) is playing for a worse team.

The following:

Dejan Lovren

Adam Lallana

Luke Shaw

Jason Puncheon could be argued, though he plays for Palace. His performances have certainly kicked on but he *****il now, anyway) is playing for a worse team.

I think by 'career improved' he might have meant actually playing better football. Puncheon is the only one of those who clearly has.

Bale is the obvious example, although it took a lot of time for him to show it.

EDIT: Oh wait, missed the 'since we returned to the Prem' bit.

Shaw was just starting to show a fair bit of improvement to be fair, had been one of United's better players so far this season.

Edited by Jimmy_D

The following:

Dejan Lovren

Adam Lallana

Luke Shaw

Lallana? Regularly? Him and Chambers are the two best examples of players that have left us and gone downhill I would think.