January 2015 transfer window

Goatboy

OK, I know it's a bit early, but now we have the squad settled for the beginning of the season I thought we could have a thread where suggestions/rumours could be deposited.

I'll start us off. Heard at the game yesterday (from a completely unsubstantiated source) that a certain ex-Saint scouse striker may be coming back on loan in January;)

OK, I know it's a bit early, but now we have the squad settled for the beginning of the season I thought we could have a thread where suggestions/rumours could be deposited.

I'll start us off. Heard at the game yesterday (from a completely unsubstantiated source) that a certain ex-Saint scouse striker may be coming back on loan in January;)

Poor Sir Rickie will be 4th choice when Origi turns up there next year.

Pretty sad seeing Rickie now just a constant bench warmer for club and country. That won't change either until either situation has a mass injury crisis.

But the guys who left made their decisions. They moved on, we moved on. We have no need for any of our departed players anymore, no need what so ever. Which is to the scouting set ups credit, great recruitment drive.

Pretty sad seeing Rickie now just a constant bench warmer for club and country. That won't change either until either situation has a mass injury crisis.

But the guys who left made their decisions. They moved on, we moved on. We have no need for any of our departed players anymore, no need what so ever. Which is to the scouting set ups credit, great recruitment drive.

He'd be filling the exact same role at Saints...

He knew that was going to be the case when he left, he must have decided he'd rather play 10 minutes a week for the team he supports than full games for us, and fair play to him for making that decision. Still, it is sad to see that he's now a permanent fixture in the England squad (because of who he plays for more than his quality) he only gets 5 minutes at the end of each game.

He knew that was going to be the case when he left, he must have decided he'd rather play 10 minutes a week for the team he supports than full games for us, and fair play to him for making that decision. Still, it is sad to see that he's now a permanent fixture in the England squad (because of who he plays for more than his quality) he only gets 5 minutes at the end of each game.

What's really messed Rickie up is them signing Balotelli who covers the "physical" role that Rickie was primarily brought in for.

It would've been healthier for Rickie if Liverpool signed Remy instead who can operate wide if needed.

I don't think Balotelli was on Liverpool's radar when they signed Rickie in the 1st place.

Rickie will regret moving, even with Sturridge out yesterday he only came off the bench. He'll only get a chance to shine in the domestic cups. We've moved on quickly anyway. Depending on J Rod and Morgan leaving I'd like to think there will only be a need for minimal activity in the January window.

Rickie will regret moving, even with Sturridge out yesterday he only came off the bench. He'll only get a chance to shine in the domestic cups. We've moved on quickly anyway. Depending on J Rod and Morgan leaving I'd like to think there will only be a need for minimal activity in the January window.

He has got his family moved back 'home' and achieved his boyhood dream.

Id have Rickie back but ultimately he'd probably get less game time here with Pellè, long, rodriguez and mane all looking for a space up top. He also never looked great in the lone striker role that pellè now occupies. Dont get me wrong he looked great from a deeper position but I expect the reason Ramirez went was due to RK employing a 433 instead of a 4231.

Im not sure we need many players in this window, perhaps a junior RB or a GK to replace Boruc but ultimately not much else. Such was the excellent end to the window.

I think January will be about Jay Rod & Jack Cork signing new contracts. Might see Reed, Flannigan & Gallagher go out on loan with Mayuka, Boruc & Gazzaniga leave. Not any coming in unless we have serious injuries.

Daily Star (!!!!) suggesting that Man City are looking to sign JWP and Jay Rod in January

If they did come knocking it would be difficult for the players and club m to turn down City's money

(as an aside I was round at SRL's old house last week - he had a separate air conditioned bedroom for the night before a game to ensure he slept well in a controlled environment. Interesting to know whether all players had the same attention to detail in their gaffs)

I think by the time the January window opens, the players we lost during the summer will be showing other players why they should look very carefully before taking a big money signing to move their careers up a notch. Many a Billy Big Ball's careers have foundered on an "exciting" move. Big Club, big squads, big competition. If it's all about, money, status and ego they will still go...let's hope we can have the kind of season where they will see they can stay and still progress their careers.

One of the big concerns was what agreement the club came to with Schneiderlin to get him to stay.

There has been a lot reported in the last few days about him re engaging with the club and stating the squad was possibly stronger than last season and he was satisfied the ambition of the owners was still there.

A friend of mine was with our Chairman on Saturday and he confirmed Schneiderlin was happy and not looking to get away in January and will honour his remaining contract. Words I know but fairly reassuring.

One of the big concerns was what agreement the club came to with Schneiderlin to get him to stay.

What I don't understand is the people who believe we had to agree to granting Morgan a move at the next transfer window to get him to play for us. That is a nonsense, any club that did that would be shooting themselves in the foot. If you have a player under contract you don't need to make promises against your interests. Even at the end of this season he still has 2 years left on his contract...he goes when we're good and ready or he signs an extension.

I'm not saying that is what happened to keep him playing for us but I do bridle against people who make a pronouncement that it is obvious we had to agree to granting him a move. It's insulting to the club and it's insulting to Morgan.

There has been a lot reported in the last few days about him re engaging with the club and stating the squad was possibly stronger than last season and he was satisfied the ambition of the owners was still there.

A friend of mine was with our Chairman on Saturday and he confirmed Schneiderlin was happy and not looking to get away in January and will honour his remaining contract. Words I know but fairly reassuring.

Thought we were told players unrest was nothing at all to do with board ambition ?!?

Besides, it ended an excellent window within which ultimately keeping hold of our players will be the biggest bonus. Perhaps a GK if Boruc leaves. Being greedy Id take Benteke

The transfer gossip rumours are so unbelievable . United to spend approx another 250 million in the January window. Another mass exodus of saints players Spider-Man Jay Rod , Ward prowse and Clyne plus our manager to Newcastle

Where do these journos make up such trash

Theres always snippets of truth that gets blown out of all proportion. I fully expect many clubs are eying up our players, the journos rightly or wrongly are continueing the theme of the summer. Hopefully the club is able to fight off all but the highest of bids and the players are now settled with the current set up

As for utd, I expect they'll spend a bit but surely not too much due to FFP

January will basically- for the media anyway- will be about unsettling Jay Rod and Morgan. R

Like last month- retaining these players/getting Jay Rod to sign a contract will signal a good January window, we don't really unnecessary panic signings unless we have drastic injuries to key players- which fingers crossed, we don't!

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/southampton-benfica-eyeing-werder-bremen-striker-davie-selke-4040448

Linked to a young striker, I don't watch German football so has anyone with an affinity for Werder Bremen got any insight?

Here's a scouting report, compared to Klose and Dzeko: http://footballtalentscout.net/2014/08/02/davie-selke/

Edited by JxgrSaint

We need to plan for "life after Morgan" if he has an understanding that SFC would not stand in the way of a transfer if he stayed and played with us until January.

Think the manager is safe for at least a year.

SRL would be better going to a struggling PL or Championship side although he's the only one I would welcome back.

I wonder where on the roller coaster ride we are in January?

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere that Saints are so meticulous in their preperations that they've already done full checks on their proposed January signings. Their player research dept is supposed to be one of the best in the country. The names of most our latest new recruits were advised to RK and he agreed.

Mancsaint

Not sure we will sign anyone in January. Did I not read something in the telegraph article about saints already knowing who they want to sign in the summer of 2015? No mention of January which is generally a mixture of panic buys and overpriced demands.

Squad overview:

Forster			
		Davis			

Clyne		Fonte		Alderweireld	Bertrand
McCarthy	Yoshida		Gardos		Targett

Wanyama		Schneiderlin		
	Reed		Cork		

Davis			
Tadic			Ward-Prowse		Mané
Long						Rodriguez
		Pellè			
		Gallagher

Rest of squad: Gazzaniga, Cropper, Mayuka, McQueen, Isgrove

Out on loan: Osvaldo, Ramirez, Boruc, Hooiveld, Turnbull, Stephens, Sinclair

(yes, I am aware that we do not play this formation all the time...)

Squad overview:

Forster            
           Davis            

Clyne        Fonte        Alderweireld    Bertrand
McCarthy    Yoshida        Gardos        Targett

Wanyama        Schneiderlin        
       Reed        Cork        

Davis            
Tadic            Ward-Prowse        Mané
Long                        Rodriguez
           Pellè            
           Gallagher

Rest of squad: Gazzaniga, Cropper, Mayuka, McQueen, Isgrove

Out on loan: Osvaldo, Ramirez, Boruc, Hooiveld, Turnbull, Stephens, Sinclair

(yes, I am aware that we do not play this formation all the time...)

Backup front man and GK needed then.

• 2 weeks later...

A right back would be very handy - Clyne played out of his skin when he had Chambers to compete with last year and hasn't hit that level since. Alderweireld isn't threatening that spot as long as he's first choice centre half.

That and goalkeeper are the weak points in the squad. No point paying huge fees, though, because the big improvements will come in the summer.

A right back would be very handy - Clyne played out of his skin when he had Chambers to compete with last year and hasn't hit that level since. Alderweireld isn't threatening that spot as long as he's first choice centre half.

That and goalkeeper are the weak points in the squad. No point paying huge fees, though, because the big improvements will come in the summer.

Eh? Clyne has been one of our best players this season.

And as has been pointed out, Belgium's first choice RB is at our club...

Eh? Clyne has been one of our best players this season.

And as has been pointed out, Belgium's first choice RB is at our club...

Clyne's been good but not at his very best in my view - he was outstanding whenever he played last year even through he was Pochettino's second choice. I've got no grumbles with his performances (though he's had a couple of off days) but you've always got to look at improving.

Alderweireld is great back up but he's not competition, because he's unlikely to play right back unless Clyne is injured.

I wouldn't be bothered if we don't bring anyone in but these are the small improvements that can be made.

Edit: of course, holding on to our existing players is the most important thing - and there will be bids coming in!