Arsenal vs Saints Thread

SNSUN

I'm not too fussed about the league cup...

Happy to give some of the youngsters like Targett and Reed a run out... would also be good to give game time for Gardos and Mane...

I value the FA cup much higher and would like us to play a strong team in that competition...

I would actually be happy to scrap the League cup.. its Mickey Mouse... by losing the League cup it would also give much more importance to the FA cup.

Yes, lets ignore a chance to go to a final and win a cup, usually more likely for a team outside the big boys to do this. I agree, lets roll over and have our tummies tickled. Sod the 5k supporters coming along, its just a cup final at Wembley we can aim for, so give up. Who wants to win at the Emirates after all? Mickey mouse indeed

Happy to give some of the youngsters like Targett and Reed a run out... would also be good to give game time for Gardos and Mane...

I value the FA cup much higher and would like us to play a strong team in that competition...

I would actually be happy to scrap the League cup.. its Mickey Mouse... by losing the League cup it would also give much more importance to the FA cup.

We have more depth in the squad now, and I'd love to see us take a proper crack at all the cup competitions. The "tinpot" JPT final was the best day out I've had in years. (excluding that pingpong exhibition in Thailand, obviously.)

What's people's line up prediction for this one? Judging by the side Koeman put out against Millwall I think he is taking this cup seriously, and having fielded a strong team against them he has now set a precedent for his selection in the cups. Think Mane will make his debut, but who will be left out to accommodate him? I would imagine it will be Long, unless he leaves Tadic on the bench again to avoid an injury.

Hope to see Gardos start, am interested to see how he copes with having some defending to do! Looked good on the ball yesterday and I liked the way he was running out of defence with the ball, a bit like Lovren was doing at the start of last season.

Can't wait for this one, for some reason I don't see us winning (based on nothing at all, normally optimistic about most games but have just got that gut feeling) but think it will be a great game, and should be another brilliant atmosphere (in the away end at least! ;) )

Looks like Saint's job of winning the League Cup has just got a whole lot harder this weekend as Spurs, Scousehampton and Man U will be taking the competition a lot more seriously now as it is their only realistic chance of European football next year . Ooops just realised Man U didn't quite get past the 1st hurdle and narrowly lost 4-0. :lol:

What's people's line up prediction for this one? Judging by the side Koeman put out against Millwall I think he is taking this cup seriously, and having fielded a strong team against them he has now set a precedent for his selection in the cups. Think Mane will make his debut, but who will be left out to accommodate him? I would imagine it will be Long, unless he leaves Tadic on the bench again to avoid an injury.

Hope to see Gardos start, am interested to see how he copes with having some defending to do! Looked good on the ball yesterday and I liked the way he was running out of defence with the ball, a bit like Lovren was doing at the start of last season.

Can't wait for this one, for some reason I don't see us winning (based on nothing at all, normally optimistic about most games but have just got that gut feeling) but think it will be a great game, and should be another brilliant atmosphere (in the away end at least! ;) )

Unfortunately as I have bet £20 with an Arsenal supporter wind up merchant we will lose at least 3 nil.

I'd make a couple of changes for this but not too many. I'd like to give Long a game in the central role and I'd also start with Mane. Long could do with a goal and if anything were to happen to Pelle with Gallagher still out we would be pretty reliant on him to play that role so it's a good chance to see how he does.

I assume Aldeweireld and JWP are out.

------------------------Forster----------------------

Clyne------Fonte-------Gardos------Targett

-------------------------Victor------------------------

--------------Cork-------------Davis---------------

----Tadic--------------------------------Mane-----

--------------------------Long----------------------

Bench: KD, Yoshida, Bertrand, Morgan, Reed, Pelle, McQueen/Isgrove/Mayuka

Actually, I'd be tempted with a bit of Josh Sims on the bench unless McQueen, Isgrove or Mayuka have been impressing lately.

I'd probably remind Davis that Cork, Morgan and Vic have all scored already this season as well.....

I'd make a couple of changes for this but not too many. I'd like to give Long a game in the central role and I'd also start with Mane. Long could do with a goal and if anything were to happen to Pelle with Gallagher still out we would be pretty reliant on him to play that role so it's a good chance to see how he does.

Actually, I'd be tempted with a bit of Josh Sims on the bench unless McQueen, Isgrove or Mayuka have been impressing lately.

I'd probably remind Davis that Cork, Morgan and Vic have all scored already this season as well.....

Shows you how much better we are that we can field that as an approximately second string team...

We could add:

Morgan

Maya

Toby

Bertrand

JWP

JayRod

Pelle

To that team on a good day. We also still have Ramirez and Boruc on our books technically.

Plus players like Reed, Gallagher, Isgrove, Sims and Maqueen etc.

Future is very very bright right now. Especially with £30m still in the kitty, not to mention the added TV monies.

WTFILN

Shame that, you'd have enjoyed it if we get to the final but clearly you won't be going because why would you want to watch a Mickey mouse game?

Ok, I don't usually start these but I'm rather excited for this game. We're bang in form, and saw from the Millwall game that Koeman seems to be taking the cups seriously by playing a strong team. Arsenal will probably play some fringe players for this, I can't see why we can't win at The Emirates.

Play a strong side, and I think we could nick it 1-0. Mané to feature from the bench.

After Pochettino's disasterous FA Cup selections (Sunderland last season) Saints fans deserve a cup-run, and with Wenger concentrating on staying in the CL, we should be able to field a side to win this tie.

With 7 or 8 (?) Prem.sides already eliminated from the competition, we ought to be in with a shout .....if we can hold our early season form. Here's hoping!

Shame that, you'd have enjoyed it if we get to the final but clearly you won't be going because why would you want to watch a Mickey mouse game?

Absolutely amazes me how people write off the League Cup. One of only two trophies we have a realistic chance of winning (which we have never won in our history). Must be the 'Sky' generation, who have no feel for the history of football and winning money for finishing as an also ran in the Premier League is more important than adding to our overflowing trophy cabinet that has the grand total of ONE major trophy in it!!

Need to put out our strongest team possible and hope Wenger sends out a weak side.

They are likely to have at least 2 of normal back 4. New Columbian keeper, plus Rosicky, Flamini, the Ox, Podolski, plus Sanogo. Gunner supporting mate says there will only be a maximum of 2 from the youth team. Worst, speculates that Sanchez will play, as he was missing at the weekend

Yep, thats what I'd go with as well.

Gunner supporting mate says there will only be a maximum of 2 from the youth team.

Arsene Wenger says...

On Tuesday night you might see Hector Bellerin, Francis Coquelin and Isaac Hayden. In the squad we have Chuba Akpom and Semi Ajayi as well. These are the players that are the closest.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140922/team-news-monreal-sanogo-and-walcott

4177b591af09974e28469247ae959978.jpg

@SouthamptonFC: Koeman says Maya Yoshida and @Prowsey16 will miss tomorrow's game, but adds that he hopes both will return at the weekend. #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: Koeman on tomorrow's game: "We'd like to go on in the League Cup, and for that reason we will take it very seriously." #saintsfc

Anyone know of any pubs with a mix of home and away fans? Trying to find somewhere to meet some gooners pre match

The Famous Cock right next to Highbury and Islington should be fine. I have met my Arsenal mates there before and planning to do the same tomorrow. But you should be fine in most pubs - Arsenals fans very friendly.

4177b591af09974e28469247ae959978.jpg

@SouthamptonFC: Koeman says Maya Yoshida and @Prowsey16 will miss tomorrow's game, but adds that he hopes both will return at the weekend. #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: Koeman on tomorrow's game: "We'd like to go on in the League Cup, and for that reason we will take it very seriously." #saintsfc

Great to hear. Effing go for it tomorrow. If we can get to the transfer window in the semi finals of the League Cup then it might give us a wee edge against potential suitors.

Ronald Koeman. On the fast track to legendary status.

Think we might line up like this tomorrow:

Forster

Clyne

Fonte ©

Gardos

Targett

Wanyama

Cork

Davis

Mane

Tadic

Pelle

Subs: Davis, Bertrand, Schneiderlin, Long, Davis, Reed, McQueen.

With Alderweireld and Yoshida out, god knows who our reserve centre back is

My mind might being playing tricks on me but I seem to remember Jack Cork filling in at CB in a game I saw

Think we might line up like this tomorrow:

Forster

Clyne

Fonte ©

Gardos

Targett

Wanyama

Cork

Davis

Mane

Tadic

Pelle

Subs: Davis, Bertrand, Schneiderlin, Long, Davis, Reed, McQueen.

With Alderweireld and Yoshida out, god knows who our reserve centre back is

I completely agree with the team but who is the third Davis filling the bench place?

I have a spare ticket in Block 25 available for £11 (face value plus booking fee).

If anyone wants it, they ought to reply, quoting this post, with an email address. Preferably one that looks legit and undodgy. I will email back to arrange handover.

Benjii

I have a spare ticket in Block 25 available for £11 (face value plus booking fee).

If anyone wants it, they ought to reply, quoting this post, with an email address. Preferably one that looks legit and undodgy. I will email back to arrange handover.

Benjii

Possibly

Edited by Saint Garrett

The bookies really fancy us tomorrow. Arsenal are barely odds-on (1.95 on 365) and we're as short as 4.2. If I recall Arsenal have drifted out from around 1.61 yesterday (or maybe even shorter) so they must be very confident that Wenger will try and get away with playing some of his kids.

Wenger has been very complimentary (translated from Dutch press):

Wenger praises' miracle trainer Koeman

LONDON -

Ronald Koeman under Arsene Wenger deserves a big compliment. The French manager of Arsenal is impressed by the work of Koeman at Southampton, Tuesday's opponent in the League Cup. "They have performed a miracle at Southampton," Wenger said Monday admiringly. "Everyone thought the club would collapse, they lost this summer around the axis of the team and also their trainer. But with Koeman at the helm, they are incredibly strong come back. "

The 'Saints' standing after five games surprisingly in second place in the Premier League. "Koeman has tremendous experience," said Wenger. "He knows everything about the game. Although he does not know the English league but the Dutch. And he has good reinforcements brought from the Netherlands ", as referred to Wenger Dusan Tadic (FC Twente) and Graziano Pellè (Feyenoord). "He's doing great."

The bookies really fancy us tomorrow. Arsenal are barely odds-on (1.95 on 365) and we're as short as 4.2. If I recall Arsenal have drifted out from around 1.61 yesterday (or maybe even shorter) so they must be very confident that Wenger will try and get away with playing some of his kids.

Not that many. I've been unreliably informed that the team will include Ospina, Chambers, Diaby, Rosicky, Wilshere, Alexis and Podolski. Assuming that's halfway right, Arsenal are hardly going to be pushovers even if we field our strongest team.