Adrian Durham just can't stop crying....

JxgrSaint

The bloke is paid to be controversial. He is also paid to fill space. Job done as far as his editor is concerned. The article is nonsense. he sayds that Van Persie had a shot that was blocked that should have counted as a shot on target. Well if it was blocked it wasnt on target was it? He also said that Pelle's shot that came back off the post was lucky that if feel to Tadic. Well I would say that it was lucky for United that it hit the post and didnt go in. 3 points was the important stat and he knows that. He also knows and acknowledges that SFC are not a team that parks the bus. Koeman's tactics were spot on in this game as proved by the fact that we won the game. All the rest is hot air.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2866643/Manchester-United-title-race-Louis-van-Gaal-Wayne-Rooney-Michael-Carrick-thank.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Contrast with his article here after United fluked a win at St Mary's. It's about opinions fair enough, but there has to be a degree of consistency,fairness and objectivity in what is written, especially if your being paid for doing it, or people will stop reading. I certainly won't bother clicking on any more of his articles.

The article is nonsense. he sayds that Van Persie had a shot that was blocked that should have counted as a shot on target. Well if it was blocked it wasnt on target was it?

If its heading towards the goal then why isn't it a shot on target? I'm guessing you'd treat it as on target if it was going it and the keeper saved it, why should it be different for a blocked shot on target by a defender?

If its heading towards the goal then why isn't it a shot on target? I'm guessing you'd treat it as on target if it was going it and the keeper saved it, why should it be different for a blocked shot on target by a defender?

If the keeper saves it you have a pretty good idea that it could have gone in. If the shot is blocked then it is not really a shot on goal is it because it didnt reach the goal - hence not on target.

If the keeper saves it you have a pretty good idea that it could have gone in. If the shot is blocked then it is not really a shot on goal is it because it didnt reach the goal - hence not on target.

What is your definition of a "block"? What if the block by the defender happens 5 yards from the goal-line? Is that not an on target shot? Its very much a grey area in football statistics and analysis.

What is your definition of a "block"? What if the block by the defender happens 5 yards from the goal-line? Is that not an on target shot? Its very much a grey area in football statistics and analysis.

See you have added another dimension there :) oops quick edit!!

What is the stats defintion of on target? e.g. is hitting the bar/post etc

Does this fool write every week about all the other teams who go to Stamford Bridge, Etihad and Old Trafford and just roll over? Sure, it was a boring game for the neutral, but what were we meant to do? it was a tactical battle. We stood up to them, and RoKo outwitted Van Gaal, simple as.Did Man Utd come to St Mary's to play football? Didn't see them do a lot then, but then they won the game, which is all that matters. This Durham is a clown. I'm sorry we've upset him by gatecrashing the party. And did Sanchez light up St Mary's a couple of weeks ago when we comfortably dispatched of his side?????

'If Southampton produce an end-of-season DVD entitled '101 Great Moments Closing Down the Opposition' expect the victory at Manchester United to feature highly' Fck me, he's bitter

Edited by Saint_Tony

Does this fool write every week about all the other teams who go to Stamford Bridge, Etihad and Old Trafford and just roll over? Sure, it was a boring game for the neutral, but what were we meant to do? it was a tactical battle. We stood up to them, and RoKo outwitted Van Gaal, simple as.Did Man Utd come to St Mary's to play football? Didn't see them do a lot then, but then they won the game, which is all that matters. This Durham is a clown. I'm sorry we've upset him by gatecrashing the party. And did Sanchez light up St Mary's a couple of weeks ago when we comfortably dispatched of his side?????

'If Southampton produce an end-of-season DVD entitled '101 Great Moments Closing Down the Opposition' expect the victory at Manchester United to feature highly' Fck me, he's bitter

His job is to annoy and wind people up. As you and others have proved, he's very good at his job ;)

Technically the post isn't the target, but again its a grey area because the ball could potentially hit the post and still go in or rebound out depending on the angle it connects, power and spin.

The post is off target. If it hits the post and then goes in it's on target, because it went in - that's the same shot and it went in. If it hits the post and doesn't, it remains off target. Hence, Pelle hits post = shot off target, Tadic scoring rebound = on target.

There is absolutely no grey area. Even if it hits the post, then hits a defender and goes in it's off target, as long as it wouldn't have gone in without the defender's involvement.

Edited by The9

I remember listening one evening to him on the way home and him saying that Arsenal purposely finish 4th instead of 3rd to get the extra million in ticket revenue from the playoff involved to qualify. I phoned up to remind them that they would lose the 1.7m difference between finishing 3rd and 4th, and the dicks wouldn't let me on.

He's a joke, and only says stuff to get a reaction.

Has to be, without exception (and that includes Garth Crooks) the worst sports media pundit anywhere.

Whenever I am unfortunate enough to catch any of his afternoon show on TalkSport I actually feel sorry for the guy, he is that bad. (By the way - what has he got against Arsenal and Arsene Wenger - did he **** his wife or something?)

But not only is his show abysmal, but they have also paired him up with Darren Gough - Jesus Christ - the guy struggles to pronounce single syllable words ffs. Together they really are a comedy duo.

I'm just amazed that not only does he get airtime on the radio but a paper also gives him column inches to prove what a complete and utter numpty he really is.

So what about a hopeful punt from the halfway line that could head towards the goal but gets intercepted? Is that on target?

You cannot class an blocked shot as being on target, it's like saying a darts players throws a darts it doesn't hit treble twenty but it could have...

Whichever way you look at it that article is click bait, nowt more...

The post is off target. If it hits the post and then goes in it's on target, because it went in - that's the same shot and it went in. If it hits the post and doesn't, it remains off target. Hence, Pelle hits post = shot off target, Tadic scoring rebound = on target.

There is absolutely no grey area. Even if it hits the post, then hits a defender and goes in it's off target, as long as it wouldn't have gone in without the defender's involvement.

What about if it hits the crossbar and bounces down, but it is spinning towards the goal-line and the keeper saves it?

Like this, but if the keeper saved it as it rolled towards the line (the ball was heading on target)...

Are we really spending all this time argueing the toss about what is on taget or not? A blocked shot is like a tackle and is not a shot. If someone is on the line and stops it is is a shot on target because the player has had a shot. I cannot give you the definition of what distance the ball has to travel before it can be deemed a shot because frankly, I have a life. United di not have any shots on target.

Who gives a s**t about what's on or off target. A thirty yard dribbler that is comfortably gathered by the keeper may pad the stats but is irrelevant.

The only pertinent 'fact' from Sunday -apart from us winning- is that united created few clearcut chances until the end of the game -and even one of those needed a bit of help from Forster.

Edited by shurlock

We dont have the luxury of having 4 world class strikers and have to cut our cloth accordingly. Perhaps he should have saved some of his criticism for why a team that cost so much couldnt get a shot on target?

he said they were good against us and that they have clearly improved this season compared to last

it was clear as day that he was trying to wind people up so they would call in to Talksport on their 0845 number

Durham is paid to do a certain job, so it's nothing to get hot under the collar about.

But there is some delicious irony in his piece on United's win at St Marys, provided by the wonderful gift of hindsight.

"United's injury list could ease significantly soon – Angel di Maria, Luke Shaw and Daley Blind in particular could make a difference."

They certainly did. Two of them were so ineffective they didn't finish the game, the other was hopelessly out of position when Tadic scored (have a look where Blind is, and his reaction when Tadic pokes in the rebound is probably an expression of his realisation that he should have been the one picking Tadic up).

Also Durham's "three men who I believe are chiefly responsible for United being in the title race" includes:

Louis van Gaal: He's a class act, and he's always ready to make difficult decisions when necessary – like taking Paddy McNair off in the first half at Southampton when he lacked confidence and was making too many mistakes.

That was bold and brave but it worked for United. At the same time it sent a message to the rest of the United players that they need to be totally on top of their game. Van Gaal needed to make the change, but he taught the United squad a lesson at the same time."

A class act always ready to make the difficult decisions when necessary. Difficult decisions like throwing on a beanpole midfielder and lumping the ball up to him in a last act of sheer desperation in true League Two style because nothing else has worked.

That certainly told the rest of the United players they had to be on top of their game. Especially Columbian strikers who by time Fellaini was sent on to deliver the telling message, was in the leafy confines of Cheshire, wondering how the class act that is van Gaal decided to go with three central defenders on the bench for a home game.

Michael Carrick.:"His calm and composure have been crucial during this winning run. Since he returned to the side he has relaxed everyone around him. He will always accept the ball, always be available and he never hides. That is exactly what an under-pressure defence needs."

That will be the same Michael Carrick, then, who was nullified by a 20-year-old, disciplined and intelligent enough as a player, to carry out to perfection the instructions of an astute coach who had spotted Carrick's role and importance and snuffed it out as part of his game plan.

It doesn't bother me that Durham has undervalued and underplayed Saints win. It's part of his remit to cause controversy and his skin is thick enough to take any stick he might get on here.

But it does lay bare any reputation he has as a serious football pundit when he does not give Koeman an ounce of credit - other than accusing him of killing the game - for completely out-thinking van Gaal at every single bloody turn.

Koeman took van Gaal to school on Sunday. And everybody knows it.

At least he called us a top 4 team.

Thing is Mourinho takes Chelsea to say Man City or Liverpool and will get heralded for grinding an away win.

Man Utd in their pomp very rarely went to the grounds of their title rivals and played an open game. They played on the counter attack and defended well, no different to what we did.

We deserved to win the game because we stopped them from playing and created, then took the better chances. Anything else is just sour grapes that a team the football convention can be upset when a team spends hundreds millions on players but is beaten by a better team that cost a fraction of that amount.

Most other pundits roundly congratulated our win and said it was well deserved.

We've clearly shown over the season so far and over the two games that our team is better than Utds despite the vast spending at Old Trafford, now its up to the team to prove it over the whole season.

Who cares what idiots like Durham think, I'm sure Utd were patting themselves on the back when they nicked the win at St Marys and we played WAY better in that game to try and win it then Utd did at Old Trafford.

The only people I've seen say Utd deserved the win is bitter Rooney and bitter Van Gaal, and now this plonka.

I think the article is very complimentary. In a way I don't disagree with him. It wasn't a great spectacle for the neutral. We didn't play sparkling football. I do think that we could of played with a higher tempo. I also think we could have played better football than Manchester and I do think the luck went our way.

The article is fair and needs to be read fully before making knee jerk criticism.

Make no mistake we can play better attacking, flowing football ask Sunderland.

Let's also not kid ourselves Mata could and should have buried us in the last 15 minutes.

I think the article is very complimentary. In a way I don't disagree with him. It wasn't a great spectacle for the neutral. We didn't play sparkling football. I do think that we could of played with a higher tempo. I also think we could have played better football than Manchester and I do think the luck went our way.

The article is fair and needs to be read fully before making knee jerk criticism.

Let's also not kid ourselves Mata could and should have buried us in the last 15 minutes.

This.. and Fonte has basically said the same in his post match interview. What is surprising is that Durham expects us to come and play expansive football against a team that won its last 5 home games.. naive.

What about if it hits the crossbar and bounces down, but it is spinning towards the goal-line and the keeper saves it?

Like this, but if the keeper saved it as it rolled towards the line (the ball was heading on target)...

I think that counts as a goal attempt. The ball would have gone in if the keeper hadn't stopped it.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

And we should have buried them at St Marys so it evened itself out.

Seen plenty of games between the bigger games that were far, far duller. Sunday was great for football fans who know a bit about the game, a true tactical masterclass. If it were Liverpool that had done it it'd have been a wnkfest

Mourinho's won plenty of games with similar tactics but when he does it it's genius rather than lucky.

This.. and Fonte has basically said the same in his post match interview. What is surprising is that Durham expects us to come and play expansive football against a team that won its last 5 home games.. naive.

SaintSteve that is a very big compliment of our team wouldn't you say. I think we gave them too much respect first half and the second half our superior fitness showed.

I think 3 points each from both games is about right.

Only ready some comments.

Why are people bothered? It's his job to wind fans up for a reaction. And if we're honest, he's not exactly wrong. He's usually very complimentary about Saints but the more we win, the more we have to be dragged down to earth.

He's also one of the few journalists that questions why the skates are still in existence and also calls their cup "win" cheating.

You know you have hit a raw nerve when people react like that.

It is great when the 'plastic' supporters get a 'bloody nose', long may it continue.

Oh, btw, almost all neutrals love seeing one of the 'big 6' getting their 'come uppance' and it is what makes English Prfemier football the best spectacle in the world.

He is always contradicting himself on Talk Sport almost on a daily basis.

If he loves the beautiful game so much why does he take so much joy in lambasting Arsenal everyday in the Daily Arsenal.

I like Johnny Vaughn's treatment of him on a Saturday, obviously does not like Durham.

Clearly the guy knows very little, event he fact that he cited Sunderland as an example of how exciting we can be. well the reality was that we were quite poor in the 1st half, it was only when Sunderland had committed suicide for the third time that we really took them apart in the second half.