Graziano Pelle

supersonic

I think only united have put more crosses in than us with only spurs, city, arsenal and liverpool having more shots than us.

he gets decent service. he rarely moves for it. rarely beats his defender, rarely gets across his man, defends from the front, moves CBs around. UNLESS the ball is almost perfect for him.

one point a ball was crossed in, long got across his man and got a nick on it to send the ball across the goal, pelle was just stood there by the penalty spot instead of anticipating the ball getting put into that area, which is basic stuff for a striker.

That is nothing new. it is what he does. every now and then he will have a game like he did at chelsea. but that was way too far and few between.

Agree, totally. Been saying it for a long time. Our defence and midfield is getting all the blame at the moment, but its our forward players who are the real problem (Pelle, Tadic and sorry to say Mane who has completely lost his way in the last few games, needs to be played centre again)

an injection should not mean he has an 'air shot' as the ball is rolled to him across the area, 8 yards out in front of goal.

he is just an average player at best who has had two purple patches at this club.

he went 14 games without a goal at this time last year. looks like to be happening again

Even the very best strikers miss easy chances from time to time. I am not saying that Pelle is the very best, if he was he wouldn't be playing for us. But I don't think he is as poor as you say he is. I do agree that we should have a credible alternative.

I asked the question last year when he went on his long barren run.

Is he a good player who is going through a bad patch, or an average player who went through a purple patch previously.

My thoughts last season were the latter and I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise. Replacement needed ASAP and let's give Seagar a go.

Graziano Pelle will be sidelined for a few weeks with a knee injury, according to Koeman. Cedric will also be absent for #SaintsFC* at #WHUFC*

(Via Simon Peach)

I think it will be a blessing. Just short on numbers if long gets injured.

Loved to have seen a fully fit Rodriguez up top with mane or long

I think long wins more in the air than Pelle

Edited by Batman

Graziano Pelle will be sidelined for a few weeks with a knee injury, according to Koeman. Cedric will also be absent for #SaintsFC* at #WHUFC*

(Via Simon Peach)

The pace of our attack and the number of attacking options both increase dramatically when Pelle is absent. I'm not writing Pelle off. He'll still be a very welcome addition and score plenty of goals, when the games slow down on warm days in August, September, April and May.

The pace of our attack and the number of attacking options both increase dramatically when Pelle is absent. I'm not writing Pelle off. He'll still be a very welcome addition and score plenty of goals, when the games slow down on warm days in August, September, April and May.

Indeed. Instead of lumping the ball up to him. With long, you can do that and put it behind the opposition defence.

Been hoping for this for ages now. So happy it worked

Isn't it inevitable that Pelle would have a dip in form when he is expected to play every single game? An injury break may even be good for him

Why is he expected to play every week?

He should never be the automatic pick that he is.

He is a decent player and as other have said, could be useful in certain games. But the automatic first choice with the attack shaped round him was woefully not working this season (or this calendar year) in the main

Kind of done us a favour that he is out for a few weeks

Why is he expected to play every week?

He should never be the automatic pick that he is.

He is a decent player and as other have said, could be useful in certain games. But the automatic first choice with the attack shaped round him was woefully not working this season (or this calendar year) in the main

Kind of done us a favour that he is out for a few weeks

It's because they want a big target man to hold the ball up. When teams sit deep, Long can't do this job.

The mistake is not having an understudy to Pelle in a similar mould that is good enough to step in

It's because they want a big target man to hold the ball up. When teams sit deep, Long can't do this job.

The mistake is not having an understudy to Pelle in a similar mould that is good enough to step in

That is fine. But does not mean he should ever be the automatic pick to start that he is.

I think he has been subbed about twice since he has been here and only dropped once outside of an injury.

He all round team play is atrocious in most games.

Agreed, but I think in the whole scheme of things ..that's meant to be Jay Rod (?).

Without the type of service that Pelle got from Tadic last season, he's only a shadow of his former self, and has been " found out " by many Prem. defences.

He may well stay (whilst Koeman is manager), but it would be a daring move to sell him to an Italian club for " big money " in the summer, if he does well in the Euros.

That is fine. But does not mean he should ever be the automatic pick to start that he is.

I think he has been subbed about twice since he has been here and only dropped once outside of an injury.

He all round team play is atrocious in most games.

Sorry batman but it really isn't, its just your dislike of him that you continue with because of a inability to admit you're wrong.

I have watched all games this season and completely disagree, he has off days just like others but you don't

post about them with anywhere near as much hate, why is that?

Something which Pelle can't do, despite being built like a brick ****house.

I think the truth is somewhere between the two. When we are playing well he can often be an inspiration to the team, when we are playing poorly he is often anonymous, however you can occasionally see his frustration boil over with the team and this often leads to him moaning or complaining to his team mates, which doesn't help anyone.

• 1 month later...
Pelle was his usual Crap again last night.

Sticks out like a sore thumb now we have had a run of games with him out of the side

We'll sell him on in the summer at which point you can add him onto the long list of top players we've sold going back two years etc etc no one else does this etc.

Do you have this on copy and paste?

Would be good to hear your actual opinions on some players if you have any?

I have things on copy and paste, that's hilarious as most of the "opinions" are posted on repeat.

And just so its clear, I post as I see fit.

Hope that's OK with you but if its not, that's your problem

Pelle is good enough to get in the Italian side, he appears to be passionate and a good player for the dressing room. No he is not Messi but he does score 10-15 goals in the premier league. If he did score any more then we would have sold him. We are Saints; we need players who score 10-15 goals in the premier league or somebody will come in for them. That sadly is life. Get behind the players not run them down.

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov

Well said. Even when he has a quiet day he still occupies two or three defenders leaving more space for Long and Mane to operate in. He had a quiet game yesterday but given that it is first match back from injury, I'll cut him some slack. And we won BTW

Problem for Pelle now is that he and everyone know that Austin has been brought in as the main striker, probably signalling his time is up at the club. The hope is that he plays for his Italy place over the coming months. But he has been excellent for us, a great signing and I think, a true professional.

Yesterday his performance was not dictated by a lack of effort but slightly strange tactics. Playing a 5-2-3 system did not play to our forwards strengths. It made it very difficult to build play as we were always outnumbered in central midfield. Neither Sadio or Shane is a proper link between the midfield and forward line. So I think it would have been very hard for any forward to have a big impact even prior to the sending off.

Was very poor yesterday as per. He is more of a liability to our attacking play than he helps.

Summed up yesterday by the fact we were aiming for 5"11 Shane Long instead of 6"4 Pelle due to is ineffectiveness in the air. Got barged off the ball far too easily.

Started OK yesterday but then rapidly tailed off. Sadly any good work he did later in his shift (and there was definitely some) was overshadowed by the times he gave away cheap possession when we desperately needed to keep the ball. Some of that can be explained by his lack of match sharpness, the rest just by the fact he is often frustratingly sloppy.

He's our top scorer. Anyone who says he isn't a good player is a moron.

He is not a bad player, he has assets but I don't think he fits our style of play and we look more potent with Long leading the line because central defenders can't put him in their pocket. Pelle is a good squad player and offers us something no one else can but for me he should not be in our starting XI.

He is not a bad player, he has assets but I don't think he fits our style of play and we look more potent with Long leading the line because central defenders can't put him in their pocket. Pelle is a good squad player and offers us something no one else can but for me he should not be in our starting XI.

exactly how I feel. I'd like to think he is a sub to make when we are winning, someone to hold the ball up and waste time in the corner or something, or give us that extra height when we win a corner near the end of the game. maybe that's why pelle stayed on yesterday, to defend that lead we had, but whilst we won, i did feel he was a passenger.

I wouldn't say we look more potent with Long in ahead of Pelle. We hassle more, we run the channels more, we gee the crowd up more because everyone loves to watch someone belt around the pitch chasing everything and that has suited us perfectly the last few weeks when we've gone back to being solid and relied on that to create chances but when we are at our best, playing out from the back and being on top of teams, I'd much rather Pelle being on the end of things than Long. We look good with Long in at the moment because it suits the way we've played, it has suited where we've been as a team but when we really get back to our best dominating games Pelle will put more away than Long will...hence why he's our top goal scorer. For all of Longs qualities, finishing chances is not one. Hopefully Austin will fill that role anyway, that's obviously the plan but he looked just as lost as Pelle did yesterday when he came on. Both are obviously not fit enough yet.

Pelle is good enough to get in the Italian side, he appears to be passionate and a good player for the dressing room. No he is not Messi but he does score 10-15 goals in the premier league. If he did score any more then we would have sold him. We are Saints; we need players who score 10-15 goals in the premier league or somebody will come in for them. That sadly is life. Get behind the players not run them down.

Well said. We'd miss his goals and all round effort. He's been excellent for us since he signed and getting over 15 goals in his first season proved he was a bargain for the money we paid for him.

Pelle is like a lot of strikers. They have good little spells of scoring then a quiet spell. I think 1 goal and Pelle could go on a good run for a while.

I have noticed that there is always one player that is the 'fall guy' for the fans for a while ie Yoshida, Davis etc.