Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

BBC reporting we had turned down an offer of 10mill from Liverpool

The bid is low but it will unsettle the player. I had heard as early as last year that Liverpool liked him. I could see him joining Liverpool if they guaranteed him to be first choice (which he would be Emre Can is a car crash at right back :lol: ).

But then again, are Liverpool that much better than us? He can do better if he bides his time.

Emre Can is not a right back, he's a midfielder really, but has been messed around by Rodgers as he tried to find a back four that were up to the task. Johnson is moving on and past his best so Clyne would be guaranteed a start. However, it is not really a move up - you'd expect him to leave for champions league football if he was to go this transfer window, not sure Liverpool at this time is a definite step up in his career. It just depends on who else bids for him as I think he's going to go. I would have thought Man Utd would tick more boxes for him

Clyne would be 1st choice for them, but as with Morgan, there is no compelling reason for him to go to a non champs league club.

Liverpool are used to paying over the odds, even when they had a champions league spot. It will be even more expensive to attract high quality talent now.

Who was their last academy graduate? Jay Spearing? :)

spearing-412340.jpg

Going into full downplay mode:

Clyne is a good player but not top 4 quality. If he wants to go and bench warm somewhere that's up to him. I'm not bothered as we will sign someone as good (if not better) for about £2M (someone from abroad probably) and still have loads of money left to sign 6 strikers and a back-up GK.

Considering United have been using Valencia, and Arsenal have been using Bellerin (Debuchy when fit), I'd say he was more than good enough for a top 4 side at present. Oh, wait, you're doing a funny, aren't you? My bad :p In future, please include a :p face, so that the galactically stupid (moi) may understand.

Edited by Donatello

Same as last year. Liverpool put in derisory bid, leak to media to unsettle player, line up the scouse media mob to start waxing lyrical about how Clyne is wasted at 'plucky little southampton' and should join 'big club' liverpool so he has chances to compete for trophies (of course forgetting that we won the Paint Mug!).

Hopefully Clyne sees how things are. Bright young star fighting to jump ship, former team mates sat warming the bench, a manager under pressure and no chance of champions league.

The bid is low but it will unsettle the player. I had heard as early as last year that Liverpool liked him. I could see him joining Liverpool if they guaranteed him to be first choice (which he would be Emre Can is a car crash at right back :lol: ).

But then again, are Liverpool that much better than us? He can do better if he bides his time.

The same sort of advice Sherwood is trying to drill into Benteke (albeit he's (Sherwood) on weaker ground). Hopefully it'll work :thumbup:

Same as last year. Liverpool put in derisory bid, leak to media to unsettle player, line up the scouse media mob to start waxing lyrical about how Clyne is wasted at 'plucky little southampton' and should join 'big club' liverpool so he has chances to compete for trophies (of course forgetting that we won the Paint Mug!).

Hopefully Clyne sees how things are. Bright young star fighting to jump ship, former team mates sat warming the bench, a manager under pressure and no chance of champions league.

His new agent is the same as Ryan Bertrand's so hopefully he will be advising him a little better than his previous agent.

Clyne should leave SMS for £25M+ this summer to a top 4 club if he leaves at all.... if he does not then A. He is an idiot and B Saints are idiots. If he joined Liverpool it would surely make him one of the thickest people on the face of the planet....

His new agent is the same as Ryan Bertrand's so hopefully he will be advising him a little better than his previous agent.

We can but hope ... Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Utd etc come calling or a big european side I could honestly understand him saying to the club 'if you get a realistic bid, I would like to talk' and would not begrudge him a decent move.

But do Saints want him to bide his time? We need to know what he's doing so we can start making moves for a replacement, we don't want it strung out all pre-season.

It's a strange one as many were saying it was 100% done deal with United, which doesn't seem to be the case now, Koeman and Reed publicly made confident comments on him staying and now Liverpool seem to be favourites. The whole thing has been a drawn out affair already.

I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped at the chance to join Liverpool.

I suspect they will soon have a new high calibre manager......for a high profile football club. and be in the champions league long before we ever will.

Couple that with a lucrative contract.....

Hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people are deluded . Liverpool is a big step up from us , we've just had our best season for over 20 years , 7th . Liverpool managers will get the sack for that . When was the last time we finished above Liverpool ?

Aside from an extra £20k a week or so, what are Liverpool going to offer him that we can't? The odd league cup every decade, that's what. Maybe some Europa League games. He can do better than Liverpool. This is not about whether Liverpool are better than Southampton, it's about whether it is the right move for him. Chelsea, Man Utd, and Man City will all be interested in him to certain degrees - it's no shock to me that Liverpool are trying to steal a march on them as they know when it comes down to it they've got nothing really to offer him against those three.

He should bide his time rather than settle on a minor upgrade.

Some people are deluded . Liverpool is a big step up from us , we've just had our best season for over 20 years , 7th . Liverpool managers will get the sack for that . When was the last time we finished above Liverpool ?

A step sure. Are they such a 'big' step anymore? Not necessarily.

You carry on living in the past mate. The rest of us can look forward to some exciting years as Saints fans. Meanwhile, in a place close to Merseyside, football fans are still trying to convince themselves that Brenda Rogers is a tactically genius and knows how to invest £117m wisely to secure 6th place in the league.

Returning to Clyne, he is undoubtedly replaceable but would sooner keep as much of the squad together as possible. He has been a key player for us and can still improve. Like Morgan, makes no sense moving unless to a CL club.

Chelsea and City don't seem interested and neither do Arsenal , if Utd's interest is cooling then Liverpool are his best bet . It's not a " minor" upgrade at all , it's embarrassing that people think so .

I never said Arsenal were. Chelsea like him though. Why would Liverpool be his best bet - what exactly are their prospects right now? Look at their team and Manager. Plus their best player wants to leave. Champions League football seems a long way away for them right now. This was the season they could have established themselves given Man Utd's season and they absolutely messed it up.

That sounds suspiciously reminiscent of what our fishy friends down the road think of themselves

Aside from an extra £20k a week or so, what are Liverpool going to offer him that we can't? The odd league cup every decade, that's what. Maybe some Europa League games. He can do better than Liverpool. This is not about whether Liverpool are better than Southampton, it's about whether it is the right move for him. Chelsea, Man Utd, and Man City will all be interested in him to certain degrees - it's no shock to me that Liverpool are trying to steal a march on them as they know when it comes down to it they've got nothing really to offer him against those three.

He should bide his time rather than settle on a minor upgrade.

Are any of those clubs seriously interested though? Are they bidding? How long should Clyne bide his time for?

Liverpool are a massive step up. come on, admit it.

Depends what he is after. Bigger paycheck and bigger club - obviously. Better prospects - probably, but in these circumstances, can you see them being Top 4 again anytime soon? Man Utd have the spending power of a small nation, Chelsea and Man City will be there for a while, and Arsenal are enjoying spending power and squad depth they haven't had for many years.

Liverpool are struggling on many fronts - that's assuming they get their own ship in order which has a list of things to sort which is quite long as it stands.

In what regard? I'm not disagreeing, but I'd like to know your reasoning. Do players really give a fudge about the history of a club? What's most important to players is, A) wages, B) recent success (last 5-7 seasons), C) Probability of future success (next 1-3 seasons)....what else?

Edit: I'm talking in relation to Clyne's move here.

In what regard? I'm not disagreeing, but I'd like to know your reasoning. Do players really give a fudge about the history of a club? What's most important to players is, A) wages, B) recent success (last 5-7 seasons), C) Probability of future success (next 1-3 seasons)....what else?

Edit: I'm talking in relation to Clyne's move here.

Based on all those three factors, Liverpool is still a step up from us. Plus their history does count for something (whilst still behind the three points you list).

You carry on living in the past mate. The rest of us can look forward to some exciting years as Saints fans. Meanwhile, in a place close to Merseyside, football fans are still trying to convince themselves that Brenda Rogers is a tactically genius and knows how to invest £117m wisely to secure 6th place in the league.

Returning to Clyne, he is undoubtedly replaceable but would sooner keep as much of the squad together as possible. He has been a key player for us and can still improve. Like Morgan, makes no sense moving unless to a CL club.

Liverpool being significantly bigger than us is not "living in the past (mate)".

It's a fact today, right now, in the present, today, now.

And save for a financial meltdown to cripple Liverpool a la Leeds, they almost certainly always will be.

Chelsea and City don't seem interested and neither do Arsenal , if Utd's interest is cooling then Liverpool are his best bet . It's not a " minor" upgrade at all , it's embarrassing that people think so .

Its you that's embarrassing, thinking the same as all the deluded Scousers who just don't seem to understand that Liverpool are in long term decline and will not break back into the Top 4 in the foreseeable future, without some radical changes. It may still be a step up to go from Saints to Liverpool, but it is a small step up compared to what Clyne could get by moving to a team on the up or already embedded in the Top 4/CL spots.

£10m or nothing in a years time?

Surely Clyne is worth more than £10m to us next season? Have him in our side for a season then he goes for free. Oh well.

He has a contract and £10m isn't value for us. What would he be worth to us next season? Maybe £20m prises him away, but even then I think he's worth that for having in our side.

For me, we'd be mad to sell for less than £25m, given the value he gives us for a final year. It's not like we're strapped for cash and the TV money this year and next swamps these figures.

Ill admit they are a more prestigious club with a much larger fan base. But in terms of exposure, and competition for an international place, its about equal.

Just look at the players we have got into the England squad over the past 2 years, and how their international careers have faltered after moving to teams where they are given less game time, or even sidelined.

Remember this?

article-2491656-19412E2100000578-644_634x391.jpg

Edited by Plastic

Clyne has been consistent in that he wants international football. He's got that with us. Liverpool is obviously a bigger club; but it's not a top club and nowhere near the top four. As long as he continues to be picked for England, especially with a major tournament around the corner, a move, in the short-term, might be less urgent. There are no guarantees that any move would be successful which would only upset his international chances at a crucial time for Clyne.

Edited by shurlock

Based on all those three factors, Liverpool is still a step up from us. Plus their history does count for something (whilst still behind the three points you list).

Yeah, history probably does count...but it's non-existent unless the first three are satisfied, right? I.e. unless Liverpool, A) upped his wages, B) have had recent domestic & cup success, and C) have the potential for future short-term success, I can't imagine it factors in (yet).

Ill admit they are a more prestigious club with a much larger fan base. But in terms of exposure, and competition for an international place, its about equal.

Just look at the players we have got into the England squad over the past 2 years, and how their international careers have faltered after moving to teams where they are given less game time, or even sidelined.

Remember this?

article-2491656-19412E2100000578-644_634x391.jpg

he could move to liverpool, warm their bench and be a shoe-in for England. he would have to maintain better form for saints to keep his place

not many liverpool player are not pretty much guaranteed their places. despite most of them being horrendous this season

Not done Lambert much good. If for whatever reason, Clyne is warming Liverpool's bench or even in a scouse side conceding plenty of goals, he might be a token squad inclusion but he won't be England's starting right back.

Yeah, history probably does count...but it's non-existent unless the first three are satisfied, right? I.e. unless Liverpool, A) upped his wages, B) have had recent domestic & cup success, and C) have the potential for future short-term success, I can't imagine it factors in (yet).
But Liverpool are also fulfilling the first three points as well.

Sorry mate but I think, in footballing terms, it is a minor upgrade, if any upgrade at all. If Kevin Friend refereed that match properly I expect we would have finished above them with the additional reversal in momentum. I can't see Liverpool finishing in the Top 4 any time soon and I would suggest they will struggle over the next few years as their best players (Sterling, Coutinho) leave. They do not shop in the market for Hazards, Agueros, Sanchezs and I can't see them finishing above the current top 4 unless one of those implodes. I would expect Man City and Man Utd to be stronger next season, if anything. Chelsea will be fine unless Abramovich suffers some sort of personal catastrophe and Arsenal are probably too sensible to implode (although when Wenger eventually leaves they could have a difficult transition, like Man U, which opens the door for a season or two).

They've won one major honour in the last ten seasons. Ok, that's one more major honour than us but it's no reason to expect them to win anything in the remainder of Clyne's career.

Obviously they have a much more prestigious history and few clubs rival their trophy cabinet but as a player in the here-and-now, so what?

Financially, it may be a major upgrade and - if so - fair enough if he wants that.

At this stage its bugger all to do with Clyne and all about what he's worth to Saints.

We held Morgan to his contract and we should do the same with Clyne, unless any offer exceeds his value to us for another season.

It's as simple as that.

I agree. What is he worth to us? In the same way that Ings hung around (albeit there was compensation due if staying in England) as his value to Burnley was (potentially) more than what they could get if they sold him.

Liverpool is NOT a massive step up... and here is why.... The TOP FOUR in our league have the clubs that are a "massive step up" , and any club likely to punch through into that top four... Do people seriously think BR and his shambles of a team can get anywhere near top 4 next season ? Chelsea and Arsenal for me next season are certainly top four teams.... Then probably Manure.... then one from 7 teams but it won't be Liverpool...

£10m or nothing in a years time?

Surely Clyne is worth more than £10m to us next season? Have him in our side for a season then he goes for free. Oh well.

He has a contract and £10m isn't value for us. What would he be worth to us next season? Maybe £20m prises him away, but even then I think he's worth that for having in our side.

For me, we'd be mad to sell for less than £25m, given the value he gives us for a final year. It's not like we're strapped for cash and the TV money this year and next swamps these figures.

Similar thoughts in that £10m+ isn't even worth considering on three fronts.

1) think Clyne will be an important player for us and possibly worth more than £10m on his own (even if it is for one season only). Throw in the message to others that they can't go on the cheap.

2) it's strengthening a direct rival

3) how much for a replacement?? I bet Leeds won't be letting Byram go for less than £8m-£10m.

I'd settle for £20m, regardless of the buyer (although might slap on an additional £5m Scouse/Rodgers tariff)

Like Chambers, yeah right

The counter-argument is that he was only initially called up because of his move to Arsenal. Saying that, if he was still with us, I'm sure he would have also got international recognition, albeit later.