Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

But Liverpool are also fulfilling the first three points as well.

Yes, I s'pose. So one could argue that club history may be a factor for Clyne at this stage. All that being said, he's cashing his chips in earlier with a move to Liverpool (of the last 5 years).

Quote from Tim Sherwood regarding Benteke and Liverpool interest:

“There’s no point going to a club where they don’t cross the ball. All he’s got to do is look at history and see what has happened to players who have left other clubs. They’re going to pastures new, bigger and better clubs, and they don’t actually play, so then they end up looking for a new home again. Christian has made no indication that he wants to leave and I don’t think he should be moving clubs before a European Championship.”

Would Clyne flourish there? Liverpool don't really play a style of play with an attacking full back.

That would neglect his attacking attributes and put the focus on his defensive abalities which I think are fairly average for a premier league defender.

Not the right move for him imo.

And What is exactly Rodger's obsession with us? He ll be in for Wanyama next.

Stoke 6 Liverpool 1.

There is no doubt they pay higher wages. As far as I can see Liverpool consider themselves as underperforming in sixth place and that they really have to challenge to win the Premier League. I agree with that so therefore they have to buy the players that will make them the equal or better than the top four. To buy the sort of player to do that doesn't come cheap at least £30m a time.

Time to take their pants down again I think. £10m Brendan? :lol::lol: you cannot be serious:mcinnes:

I'd hate for him to go to that odious club but they're absolutely huge support-wise and it is an obvious step up in terms of profile etc, though marginal in terms of squad quality.

His next step should be a top 4 club though... Not an aspiring one, a genuine top 4 club.

I'd hate for him to go to that odious club but they're absolutely huge support-wise and it is an obvious step up in terms of profile etc, though marginal in terms of squad quality.

His next step should be a top 4 club though... Not an aspiring one, a genuine top 4 club.

Ah I don't know there, top 4 UK clubs all have non UK managers and some of those may not really appreciate the qualities of Clyne, as I said many times concerning Shaw last summer, there's probably better available for less if you know where to look for it. As a rule UK footballers are often vastly overated and usually vastly overpriced.

I'm hoping RK has told him to sign another 3 year deal, stick with it for 2 years as that's what RK's contract expires, then he can move on for a sizeable fee. He can enjoy the Southampton journey with the current manager in charge (which i think has a lot to do with it)

But what do i know !, even if he does go right backs are replaceable.

“There’s no point going to a club where they don’t cross the ball. All he’s got to do is look at history and see what has happened to players who have left other clubs. They’re going to pastures new, bigger and better clubs, and they don’t actually play, so then they end up looking for a new home again. Christian has made no indication that he wants to leave and I don’t think he should be moving clubs before a European Championship.”

Would Clyne flourish there? Liverpool don't really play a style of play with an attacking full back.

That would neglect his attacking attributes and put the focus on his defensive abalities which I think are fairly average for a premier league defender.

Not sure which Liverpool or Clyne you've been watching. They do like their fullbacks to push on while Clyne's defensive qualities, IMO, are better than his offensive ones.

Edited by shurlock

Liverpool played with attacking wing backs for most of the season I thought, often with 3 Centre Backs.

Liverpool is NOT a massive step up... and here is why.... The TOP FOUR in our league have the clubs that are a "massive step up" , and any club likely to punch through into that top four... Do people seriously think BR and his shambles of a team can get anywhere near top 4 next season ? Chelsea and Arsenal for me next season are certainly top four teams.... Then probably Manure.... then one from 7 teams but it won't be Liverpool...

You don't think Citeh will be in the top four next season?

The top four are (with the odd anomaly) set for years to come Arse, both Manc clubs and Chelsea. Liverpool and spurs will fight out for 5th - 7th (with which ever team is the seasons surprise package). Last season Liverpool could flatter to deceive with CL football and finishing second but the reality is for ambitious footballers who want CL, to win the PL and cups Liverpool are a waste of time. No one is going to suggest Liverpool aren't a big club (certainly bigger than saints) but Clyne could do better and should hold out for a proper top four club like Morgan.

Liverpool played with attacking wing backs for most of the season I thought, often with 3 Centre Backs.

Pretty much only with 3 centre backs for most of the season after they found Lovren and Skrtel didn't talk to each other. Clyne's a natural replacement for that Skate Johnson, better player as well.

Of course, £10m is £10m more than we'd get next season, but joining anyone outside the top 4 is a money move not a career move, irrespective of how successful or not Liverpool are likely to be going forward.

Then again, if you always lose your better players you're never going to achieve anything either.

We might be better off hanging onto him til Jan when teams are more desperate and we might still get the same fee. Though that could depend on whether he's cup-tied for Europe or not. Which could also be a driver in him staying, of course.

I can also see that Liverpool's market share is sliding compared to City and Chelsea globally - but really, why would anyone want to support them internationally in 2015 compared to 1990? They're not a top 4 club, but their legacy is a much bigger fanbase than Saints and it'll take some time to overhaul that if we keep finishing below them.

They switched to 3 CBs in the middle of the season but have played the last couple of months with a standard back four.

I can also see that Liverpool's market share is sliding compared to City and Chelsea globally - but really, why would anyone want to support them internationally in 2015 compared to 1990? They're not a top 4 club, but their legacy is a much bigger fanbase than Saints and it'll take some time to overhaul that if we keep finishing below them.
18 months ago they were playing some of the most entertaining, attacking football seen in the Prem for years. Plus their history does count for something in terms of support and profile.

18 months ago they were playing some of the most entertaining, attacking football seen in the Prem for years. Plus their history does count for something in terms of support and profile.

They have become and excellent example of what happens when you sell your best player and don't re-invest the cash wisely.

Only trouble with Liverhampton + Fans . Like Poopey they bring up their Glorious past. How the ferk is that relevant now. Does that gaurantee CL NO! A win every game against inferior opposition No!

PL is boring with the same old teams in the top four and Liverhampton is not one of those four, Stick with us Clynie and help us break that little clicky 4 team club up.

Really can't help but think Suarez really carried them that season. A gifted (if not slightly mental) predator whose goals masked some serious deficiencies right across the board.

Didn't they have something like the worst defence of the top 7/8 clubs????

But they are much bigger than us in almost every measurement, so it would be a step up for him (not least in terms of £££££s in his pocket), but that doesn't mean we just roll over and suck it up.

Really can't help but think Suarez really carried them that season. A gifted (if not slightly mental) predator whose goals masked some serious deficiencies right across the board.

Didn't they have something like the worst defence of the top 7/8 clubs????

But they are much bigger than us in almost every measurement, so it would be a step up for him (not least in terms of £££££s in his pocket), but that doesn't mean we just roll over and suck it up.

Suarez,Sturridge and 16 penalties carried them for a season, one man lost it for them. When they get rid of him they'll be so much the better for it.

Aside from an extra £20k a week or so, what are Liverpool going to offer him that we can't? The odd league cup every decade, that's what. Maybe some Europa League games. He can do better than Liverpool. This is not about whether Liverpool are better than Southampton, it's about whether it is the right move for him. Chelsea, Man Utd, and Man City will all be interested in him to certain degrees - it's no shock to me that Liverpool are trying to steal a march on them as they know when it comes down to it they've got nothing really to offer him against those three.

He should bide his time rather than settle on a minor upgrade.

I had to respond when i saw your opening line "Aside from an extra £20k a week or so,"...

In the real world that means over £1,000,000 a year MORE per year - for probably 3-5 years, so possibly £5,000,000.00 more than he gets now. That's a winning the lottery amount of money. That's a retire in luxury for life amount of money. What person in their right mind turns that down? I appreciate that after a certain amount ££££££ pw it's not about the money but, seriously? He may be Saints player but he is still a human being. I know money is not everything to everyone. But turning down being set up for life? Doubt many would resist.

Sorry for being realistic!

That's true. Well, the first bit. I'm not sure whether the second bit is a big determinant in recruiting new fans with little connection to the club when there are newer shinier more successful versions around.

Mind you, what do I know? When Newport went bankrupt and I had the chance to pick any club in the world to support and a place to move to for University I chose Ian Branfoot's Southampton. :D

Usual Liverpool tactic of unsettling a player.

Leaking this also deflects from their own issues/troubles.

FWIW Clyne would play most games for them. He wouldn't sit on the bench unless his form or a serious injury happened.

Liverpool are & most likely always will be a bigger football club than Saints. Their history, fan base, global footprint, capacity etc will ensure that.

He has a year on his contract - that doesn't help.

Positives are, he is settled, not far from home, plays every week, gets picked for England & I think he doesn't appear from what I have seen on Twitter, Instagram etc to be a complete & utter tool!!

Hope he stays, signs a contract & gets even better!

For all the people saying Liverpool are living in the past like some sort of Preston or Portsmouth here's what they've won this century ; 3 league cups , 2 FA cups and a champions league . Last year they qualified for the champions league , but of course they're now destined for decline and not much of a step up for our players .

I had to respond when i saw your opening line "Aside from an extra £20k a week or so,"...

In the real world that means over £1,000,000 a year MORE per year - for probably 3-5 years, so possibly £5,000,000.00 more than he gets now. That's a winning the lottery amount of money. That's a retire in luxury for life amount of money. What person in their right mind turns that down? I appreciate that after a certain amount ££££££ pw it's not about the money but, seriously? He may be Saints player but he is still a human being. I know money is not everything to everyone. But turning down being set up for life? Doubt many would resist.

Well take off tax and view an extra £3m in terms of his overall wealth and it won't be much over the course of his career. It is of course an incredible amount of money but he doesn't lead a normal life where the real world in any way is something he lives in. He's a person who plays football for a living in the richest league in the world and will never have to worry about money again for the rest of his life.

He's going to be minted whether he stays with Saints or leaves for someone else. If an extra £1m a year (pre-tax) means that much to him I'd imagine he wouldn't have joined Saints in the first place if Man Utd were as interested as reported.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, and money does appear to be the biggest motivator for most players, I would argue he has already had his winning the lottery moment with his current contract (plus his new one being offered by us). Those deals have already set him up for life, this Liverpool offer just makes it even more luxurious!!!!!

As you say it depends on what your main motivation is/was.

For all the people saying Liverpool are living in the past like some sort of Preston or Portsmouth here's what they've won this century ; 3 league cups , 2 FA cups and a champions league . Last year they qualified for the champions league , but of course they're now destined for decline and not much of a step up for our players .

this. Anyone suggesting it's a sideways step is talking ****e.

I hope both our players and the Club have learnt lessons. Clyne to Liverpool would be a mistake for several reasons:

1. Liverpool are simply no longer a better team. Poor manager, under pressure, no talisman, full of premadonnas. It's not a team.

2. Saints have hope. Liverpool face a torrid season ahead.

3. Lovren, Lallana and Lambert have all been mediocre and regressed under Rogers. Why move to be ridiculed?

4. We, the fans, have had enough of watching Liverpool try and destroy a potential rival by buying them out. It's time for our Boardroom to stand firm. Best thing we can do this summer is make a statement that any of our players can play for England at Saints (Clyne just did that - respect) and send a message that WE DO NOT SELL TO OUR RIVALS. We are looking to overtake Liverpool and Spurs. Why sell to them? It would really boost morale to watch our club get on the front foot this summer and put Rogers in his place.... Then watch him get fired.

I sense we have learnt lessons... I'm hoping for leadership this summer, I accept Schneiderlin may go, but everything must be for a reason - to overtake our rivals not strengthen them. It's time to stand up to the bullies.

Clyne signing for SAINTS will be the first statement of intent from our a Club this summer. That would be a statement of real leadership.

I hope both our players and the Club have learnt lessons. Clyne to Liverpool would be a mistake for several reasons:

1. Liverpool are simply no longer a better team. Poor manager, under pressure, no talisman, full of premadonnas. It's not a team.

2. Saints have hope. Liverpool face a torrid season ahead.

3. Lovren, Lallana and Lambert have all been mediocre and regressed under Rogers. Why move to be ridiculed?

4. We, the fans, have had enough of watching Liverpool try and destroy a potential rival by buying them out. It's time for our Boardroom to stand firm. Best thing we can do this summer is make a statement that any of our players can play for England at Saints (Clyne just did that - respect) and send a message that WE DO NOT SELL TO OUR RIVALS. We are looking to overtake Liverpool and Spurs. Why sell to them? It would really boost morale to watch our club get on the front foot this summer and put Rogers in his place.... Then watch him get fired.

I sense we have learnt lessons... I'm hoping for leadership this summer, I accept Schneiderlin may go, but everything must be for a reason - to overtake our rivals not strengthen them. It's time to stand up to the bullies.

Clyne signing for SAINTS will be the first statement of intent from our a Club this summer. That would be a statement of real leadership.

jesus. seriously?

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, and money does appear to be the biggest motivator for most players, I would argue he has already had his winning the lottery moment with his current contract (plus his new one being offered by us). Those deals have already set him up for life, this Liverpool offer just makes it even more luxurious!!!!!

As you say it depends on what your main motivation is/was.

£1m a year is a big deal for pretty much any footballer, I woudln't blame him if that was part of his motivation for moving.

It's worth noting that during the whole Sanchez signing saga last summer he rejected Liverpool because he didn't want to live there. Raheem Sterling has been house hunting in London. There's more to moving to Liverpool than just money/potential trophies

How about you try comparing what they won in 1976-85, 86-95, 96-05 and 06-15 before you start telling us how they're not in decline?

How about you try comparing what they won in 1976-85, 86-95, 96-05 and 06-15 before you start telling us how they're not in decline?

their decline will still have them bigger, better and able to pay far more than us.

a player to give up £1m a year is a huge ask. More so when getting that money means playing for a huge club (granted, not as great as they once were) where your profile would be increased massively and all the other crap that goes with it.

last year, our manager left us for Spurs...they are no where near the size of liverpool

interesting to see RAWK/Twitter reactions of liverpool fans to the bid. rightfully most people are completely against rodgers either for putting in a horrendous (outstanding) offer, or else for going for clyne in the first place because they think others are better.

I don't think theres anything that man can do now to win back the fans

I can't see him going there. All Les has to do is point to how well the players who left last year have done. I recall even Van Gaal mentioned that Shaw moved too soon to Utd. Chambers definitely did but then I'm sure the Arse bought him with a view for the future rather than right now.

Krueger was very clear in his interview- players are only going if its right for the club so if Clyne is part of our plans for the future, any club who wants him can expect to have to pay through the nose.

rview- players are only going if its right for the club so if Clyne is part of our plans for the future, any club who wants him can expect to have to pay through the nose.

Not with just a year left on his contract, it's take whatever is on offer come 1st September or get the player to sign a new contract, there are probably no other options as we won't want to see him leave for nothing next June. After the 3rd of Sept Clyne moves into the drivers seat because he has all the good options and we'll have none.

Unfortunately his tweet says....

Paul Hirst‏@hirstclass·6m6 minutes ago

I'm told MUFC are no longer interested in Clyne so looks like Liverpool are in pole position to sign him

their decline will still have them bigger, better and able to pay far more than us.

a player to give up £1m a year is a huge ask. More so when getting that money means playing for a huge club (granted, not as great as they once were) where your profile would be increased massively and all the other crap that goes with it.

last year, our manager left us for Spurs...they are no where near the size of liverpool

I don't disagree with that stuff, I'm just pointing out that their trophies in the past 15 years aren't a patch on what they were the 15 years before that, so that's clearly a decline. It's still relatively better than Saints effort of FA Cup, League One, ZDS Cup and Championship Runners-Up, and JPT winners, but at this juncture that's equally as irrelevant.

Only one of those since 2005-06.

Since Man City become flush with cash and Arsenal made a fortune with their property deals they've won a League Cup.

They've been in decline since about 1990, with a brief bump of cup success between 2004 and 2006. They had a suprisingly good league performance last year, carried by the rarity of a world-class player signed for a bargain, whilst Chelsea and United were in transition but even then they won feck-all. If you disagree that they are destined for continued decline then I would be delighted to hear when you next expect them to win the league or if you think they will consistently qualify for the Champions League. I would argue that a player joining Liverpool from Southampton has a marginally better chance of winning a domestic cup but that's about it (although financially it may be attractive).

All may not be lost

Liverpool only want to sign players from Saints with a surname starting with L

So Nat has to convince his Mum that in future he will be known as Nathaniel C Lyne

They can have Emmanue Lmayuka for a lot less than £10m. He is quicker than Clyne too