Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

I'd hang onto him until we can actually find an attacking midfielder to replace him with.

There's no point in losing Gaston if we can't find an upgrade. Otherwise we're at risk of bringing in another Elia or Djuricic.

I think the jury is still out on Elia and Djuricic but both have shown some quality. Can't help feeling RK should work with Gaston for a season to see if he can get more out of him. But if Gaston wants to start afresh somewhere else, I would wish him best of luck for the future.

Given his current wages and ever-shrinking reputation we will struggle to get more than a loan deal for Gaston. I'd keep him with Saints if we get Europa league and use him as a rotation. Despite his critics, in his first full season in English football he got 5 goals in 26 appearances, looked good at times and also contributed a few assists. Oscar was signed for Chelsea that same summer for £7m more, and contributed 4 goals in 34 in much better team.

Clearly theyre different players and its not as though Oscar is now headed for a Balon D'or, but I think it shows what might have been if we'd persisted with Gaston and not written him off after one average season. Cliches aside he obviously has talent and just because he was frustrating to watch as a 21/22 year old with no preseason behind him playing in a new country, doesnt mean he will be now.

He hasnt set the world alight at either Saints or Hull, but he also hasn't been given an extended run in either side for a very long time. Obviously his previous inconsistency is likely to be a reason for that, but for me, he was never given a fair chance and when he has played he's made things happen.

I think the jury is still out on Elia and Djuricic but both have shown some quality. Can't help feeling RK should work with Gaston for a season to see if he can get more out of him. But if Gaston wants to start afresh somewhere else, I would wish him best of luck for the future.

The problem with that being that Gaston's contract expires next summer. He's had three years, it hasn't worked, to Hell with having to absorb a £12m transfer fee in its entirety, recoup what we can (even if it's as little as a quarter).

Edited by Donatello

Who ever gave up with Fonte exactly? He came here with a huge reputation and dropped a league, he was predictably very good. He had a shaky NPC season but he'd already shown his quality so we knew what to expect. Pelle has been here 1 season and scored 16 goals, no one really gave up on him.

Gaston has been here 3 years and has just been relegated. I think that confirms all we need to know.

S-Clarke thank goodness you don't work in football. Nobody would have a chance

If you worked in football you'd be giving anyone and everyone a bloody contract! It's a harsh sport and you have to tell hard truths, Elia for one is no where near good enough and we should not waste our time on him.

If you worked in football you'd be giving anyone and everyone a bloody contract! It's a harsh sport and you have to tell hard truths, Elia for one is no where near good enough and we should not waste our time on him.

been saying this for a while. got told by a few to shut up as he played in a world cup final 5 years ago

been saying this for a while. got told by a few to shut up as he played in a world cup final 5 years ago

He may have, but he's quite clearly a player on a quick slide to obscurity. Failed here, at Bremen, at Juve.

More like hanging onto the only playmaker left at the club.

Perhaps we don't need a genuine playmaker. Maybe Mane plays the 10 position so well it's actually on the wings we need to sharpen up?

Although saying this, when your West Brom's, West Ham's come to St Mary's, somebody who can play a killer ball is needed. The last two seasons tell you that.

i say keep him for a final season, we may get a couple of million if we're lucky in this window for him. If we get into Europa next season then we're going to need as many players as we get, id keep him, give him some for the final season and see what happens with him.

Let's not forget, he was very much in the plans of Koeman, Koeman wanted to keep him, however his desire for first team football forced him to look elsewhere.

I think if he comes back in shape, he'll be here and very much part of hopefully a European squad next season.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9446288/transfer-news-southampton-planning-to-keep-gaston-ramirez

Let's not forget, he was very much in the plans of Koeman, Koeman wanted to keep him, however his desire for first team football forced him to look elsewhere.

I think if he comes back in shape, he'll be here and very much part of hopefully a European squad next season.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9446288/transfer-news-southampton-planning-to-keep-gaston-ramirez

So you're suggesting that Koeman allowed Ramirez to dictate to him where he was playing this season? :S To be honest, I find the two facets of your first paragraph to be incongruous...Koeman wanted to utilise/play him...but he wanted first team football...eh? Entirely different matter if he wanted to start, of course, but that says more about Ramirez's character/self-belief, I.e. That he didn't believe he could supplant Steven Davis/Tadic/Mane.

If everyone is happy with recouping a mere quarter of his price, we can get that in January. We limped into the end of the season. Clearly, we need depth. Undoubtedly, Gaston's wages are too high....... Maybe Koeman will feel that Hesketh will be ready and can do Gaston's job in the squad.

If everyone is happy with recouping a mere quarter of his price, we can get that in January. We limped into the end of the season. Clearly, we need depth. Undoubtedly, Gaston's wages are too high....... Maybe Koeman will feel that Hesketh will be ready and can do Gaston's job in the squad.

That's unlikely. Come January, foreign clubs can sign him on a pre-contract for free (unless compensation agreements apply on account of his age, which I doubt).

Would keep him over djuricic and elia

He's failed in 3 English seasons, totally and utterly failed under 4 different managers . He also earns somewhere north of 50k a week . He's had plenty of time to impress in England whilst the other 2 have had about 5 months and I doubt if they earn anywhere near the same money . We've basically had a try before you buy deal on both, such a shame we didn't have the same for Gaston . Hull did and I doubt if they'd be keeping him even if they stayed up.

I don't know why Djuricic is getting lumped in with Elia and getting so much stick. He's not really had much of a chance, certainly nowhere near as many chances as Gaston , and has yet to have a preseason . Cost permitting I think he could be OK , but whatever happens he won't be the monumental waste of money Gaston was.

Actions not words. Shipped out at first opportunity.

Can f*ck right off back to Uruguay or Italy.

Just proven over the last season its him, not us.

Not another penny out of our coffers on him, please.

You forgot to call him Gashton. ;)

Like hanging on to a girlfriend going through the local rugby team because you are scared of being alone for a bit...

What's her name, Alps?

If he was crippled in a car accident would we still have to pay his wages? Presumably insurance would cover it?

:suspicious:

Training on a daily basis is about a squad. When all players were available Cork wouldn't make it into our starting line up, but he brought so much to the training ground. I think Saints miss him.

Elia and Djuricic whilst not being in our starting eleven also contribute greatly to training on an everyday basis and this in turn improves the quality and competition in our squad.

I think it takes time to acclimatize to life in the premier league. We shouldn't be so quick to write players off.

Yes Djuricic must get stronger, but at the moment he's good enough as a squad player, until we find better.

S-Clarke our thoughts are irrelevant. Time will tell who will stay and who moves on.

Training on a daily basis is about a squad. When all players were available Cork wouldn't make it into our starting line up, but he brought so much to the training ground. I think Saints miss him.

Elia and Djuricic whilst not being in our starting eleven also contribute greatly to training on an everyday basis and this in turn improves the quality and competition in our squad.

I think it takes time to acclimatize to life in the premier league. We shouldn't be so quick to write players off.

Yes Djuricic must get stronger, but at the moment he's good enough as a squad player, until we find better.

S-Clarke our thoughts are irrelevant. Time will tell who will stay and who moves on.

Djuricic inc yesterday only had 3 starts for us - hardly much of a chance. I think he has something and maybe worth a punt depending if we can beat Benfica down

We have enough 'squad players' we don't need to fill the squad up with mediocrity. That's what we did in the summer of 2004 with Nilsson, Jackobsson, JVD, Yahia and the like.

Long, Tadic, JWP, Davis, JRod and Mane already have the attacking midfielder, supporting striker role covered. We don't need more depth, we need one or two better options to complement them; Ellia and Djuricic aren't the answer. They were just cheap loans who have failed to impress at their previous clubs.

If we fast forward to next summer, and he's still here and once again hasn't done anything and is out of contract, I bet you there will still be fans who say ''Give him one more year just to see...'' ''Just in case...'' ''good squad player''. Not at 50k p/w he's not.

Time to stop clinging onto the hope. He never made it here, and along with Osvaldo our 2 'marquee' signings have been disasters for the club.

This. He's simply not good enough.

He also hasn't played for Ronald Koeman. He may inspire him.

You never know and he's still young, adapting, learning and we know he's talented

well I'm afraid he has Andy,

Gaston was sub. in the CC Cup game at Millwall, and the away game at West Ham..prior to his loan out to Hull.

probably inspired RK to loan him out after watching his performances. ........

Given his current wages and ever-shrinking reputation we will struggle to get more than a loan deal for Gaston. I'd keep him with Saints if we get Europa league and use him as a rotation. Despite his critics, in his first full season in English football he got 5 goals in 26 appearances, looked good at times and also contributed a few assists. Oscar was signed for Chelsea that same summer for £7m more, and contributed 4 goals in 34 in much better team.

Clearly theyre different players and its not as though Oscar is now headed for a Balon D'or, but I think it shows what might have been if we'd persisted with Gaston and not written him off after one average season. Cliches aside he obviously has talent and just because he was frustrating to watch as a 21/22 year old with no preseason behind him playing in a new country, doesnt mean he will be now.

He hasnt set the world alight at either Saints or Hull, but he also hasn't been given an extended run in either side for a very long time. Obviously his previous inconsistency is likely to be a reason for that, but for me, he was never given a fair chance and when he has played he's made things happen.

He has been given far to many chances actually.... He struggles to get into a relegated team for a very good reason......

I'd hang onto him until we can actually find an attacking midfielder to replace him with.

There's no point in losing Gaston if we can't find an upgrade. Otherwise we're at risk of bringing in another Elia or Djuricic.

I'd take either Elia or Djuricic over Ramirez at this point.

No one is saying Elia or Djuricic are better - they need to go as well.

But Tadic is better, there's a lot more to come from him next year. We already saw his quality, we're still waiting for the others.

Yeah, hi, I'm saying they are, and I'd keep them both (or at least get them in on loan again next year). Perfect squad players who are integrated with the squad and have Europa experience if we need it. To be honest, if we sign better players than we have, they'd be off the bottom of the list, but neither of them had a pre-season with us and Djuricic has only started looking decent in the last few weeks. They've both acclimatised now and offer something different to what we have. Neither has been any less effective than Ward-Prowse, for instance.

Yeah, hi, I'm saying they are, and I'd keep them both (or at least get them in on loan again next year). Perfect squad players who are integrated with the squad and have Europa experience if we need it. To be honest, if we sign better players than we have, they'd be off the bottom of the list, but neither of them had a pre-season with us and Djuricic has only started looking decent in the last few weeks. They've both acclimatised now and offer something different to what we have. Neither has been any less effective than Ward-Prowse, for instance.

Elia doesn't offer anything. He isn't worth a place in the squad, really isn't. He's in his last year at Bremen so they will want a fee for him, and sod paying anything for him.

Whilst it's true that Djuricic hasn't had a lot of time, in the games he has played he just looks incredibly lost and ineffective, pretty on the ball which will make people sit up and go ''ooooooh'', but actually doesn't achieve much. I don't personally feel he's suited to this league - just my 2 cents. I hope we have better targets up our sleeves.

And for what it's worth, the squad players for next year will be supplemented from the U21's and the Academy more so. Pointless filling up the wage bill with dross if we can promote from within.

Elia doesn't offer anything. He isn't worth a place in the squad, really isn't. He's in his last year at Bremen so they will want a fee for him, and sod paying anything for him.

Whilst it's true that Djuricic hasn't had a lot of time, in the games he has played he just looks incredibly lost and ineffective, pretty on the ball which will make people sit up and go ''ooooooh'', but actually doesn't achieve much. I don't personally feel he's suited to this league - just my 2 cents. I hope we have better targets up our sleeves.

And for what it's worth, the squad players for next year will be supplemented from the U21's and the Academy more so. Pointless filling up the wage bill with dross if we can promote from within.

I disagree on both. Elia could easily come on another season-long loan if Werder can't get anyone to pick him up for money, he's showed what he can do when motivated, he needs a pre-season for fitness and then see how he fits in. We need fringe players we know can do a job who are manageable within our budget, and he'll be good value. Though the need for depth is reduced if Villa win the FA Cup.

Djuricic has improved with appearances, and looks a lot less ghost-like than he did in his first couple of matches. He's started getting a handle on matches and making an impact. He was unlucky to be subbed on Sunday and played well. He's creative and his range of passing is opening up as he gets used to Prem pace.

We can just keep assuming there are Prem players in waiting in the U21s - I don't see many stepping up at the moment. Gallagher and McQueen maybe, possibly Sims after that - admittedy McQueen/Sims coming through reduces the need to keep Elia, but neither have got a look in yet.

"incredibly lost and ineffective" "dross"? Ridiculous assessment I'm afraid.

I don't think there is any doubt that Ramirez has lots of ability. I think we have seen glimpses of it, but not enough. I think the same is true of Elia & Djuricic. For most of Sunday Djuricic was a passenger.

So IMHO I would not sign either Elia or Djuricic & I would let Ramirez leave if we can get someone to pay up.

That leaves wage space in the squad.

Don't get me started on Osvaldo...............................................

If we make Europa we can blood Gallagher, McQueen, Hesketh, Seager etc

FWIW I wouldn't mind us keeping Djuricic. I think he's looked decent when he's been given the chance, possibly depends on wages. Nothing spectacular but would be a good squad player next season. On the other hand I just don't rate Elia at all. As a wide player he has barely offered a thing.