Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

Sad state of affairs when you can't give him away & we have to pay him to leave.

be surprised if there's not a few spanish/italian clubs that didnt want to buy him, though. Wonder if the summer was used as a testing phase to see what he was like in preseason, and by the time we'd made our minds up it was too late and other clubs had already done their business. Makes you wonder though why he isn't already out the door if he's not wanted at saints.

be surprised if there's not a few spanish/italian clubs that didnt want to buy him, though. Wonder if the summer was used as a testing phase to see what he was like in preseason, and by the time we'd made our minds up it was too late and other clubs had already done their business. Makes you wonder though why he isn't already out the door if he's not wanted at saints.

You'd have thought letting him leave on a free to another club would be more beneficial than paying him a % of his wages to buy him out.

You'd have thought letting him leave on a free to another club would be more beneficial than paying him a % of his wages to buy him out.

Wel it would be ... for us. But for him, it's better to get us to pay up a sizeable proportion of the rest of his contract, THEN go to another club on a free. (Where presumably he won't be able to con them out of such a big wage) So why should he agree to just go? It could cost us quite a bit to persuade him to leave.

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook 1h1 hour ago

Reports in north America say Gaston Ramirez is negotiating to terminate his £65k-a-week #saintsfc contract. Another great Cortese signing.

Unless he's a disruptive influence, I don't see the point of this. How much money is it really going to save us? He's good enough to be a useful squad member. Unless his attitude/focus for us has completely gone by now.

Unless he's a disruptive influence, I don't see the point of this. How much money is it really going to save us? He's good enough to be a useful squad member. Unless his attitude/focus for us has completely gone by now.

If he agrees to half of his outstanding wages in one hit in exchange for a chance to find alternative employment, quite a lot.

Why would Ramirez do that? Nobody came in for him because nobody was going to offer him anywhere near what he is earning here.

I can't wait until he leaves. I was really excited when we got him but he's been a complete flop and imo hasn't got the right attitude. Sad really because he has so much potential. Wasted himself over here.

Reports in north America say Gaston Ramirez is negotiating to terminate his £65k-a-week #saintsfc contract. Another great Cortese signing.

Thought we didn't believe Crook. Why would this come from N America? Sounds like ********. Didn't he report that Gazza was on his way out on loan?

Perhaps it's because he's shiete

What like Lambert and Fonte and Wanyama and Davis and Rodrigues and Sharp and Loven and......

Remind me how pages of pre signing euphoria and meltdown did we have when we were signing him? He didn't work out, just like Salgado and Lamela and Balotelli and plenty of others. Jesus, what club has not wasted big money on one or two players in their time? Get over it FFS

South American football expert Tim Vickery said pretty much that when we signed him. To lots of "he's clueless" derision on this forum.

I remember reading a column by Vickery on the BBC website saying Delgado was a marvellously astute signing, back in the day. I know it means little, but can be used as an example of how columnists can be said to not know arse from elbow.

South American football expert Tim Vickery said pretty much that when we signed him. To lots of "he's clueless" derision on this forum.

That is correct . I remember it well , because I was listening to the radio when Vickery said it . He also said he's international career was over hyped .

I don't get it , he's proven to be a complete and utter failure , yet people still won't accept it.

Let's tick them off , because they'll appear in the next 20 posts .

" The Villa game "

" clearly talented"

" not suited to the premier league "

" could do it in Italy or Spain "

" injury free"

Eyes down for Gaston bingo .

Just popped into my head that he made some odd comments when he signed, which in retrospect seem prescient.

From memory it was along the lines of not being able to believe how much money we threw at him to get him to sign.

I remember that too. That's how I think of Gaston : Talented player who's happy getting a very good wage without a burning desire to prove himself. Doesn't rock the boat or moan. But just happy to tick along.

He was a classy player but as others have said he was not suited to Premier League and his injury record is horrendous.

Reports of him being on £65,000 a week are probably wide of the mark. I suspect a lot of that was appearance and other bonuses. I suspect his basic, which is probably all he collected most weeks, was below £40,000. Still a massive amount and if we can make some savings out of that we should go for it.

Why would the reports come from North America?

Fair play to Gaston. He's not happy, he wants to leave, so he's going about it in the right way IMO. No fuss, no media B.S, not tantrums, but a desire to negotiate (e.g. find an outcome that works for both parties) his exit.

Shame it didn't work out. But it didn't, like many others before and many others to come I'm sure. If he agrees an exit he'l be an attractive option for a mid-tier club in a European or South American league, he won't be without a club for long IMO.

One thing is for sure: both Cortese and Koeman will have very good friends when they move back to their home countries.

Our net spend in Holland and Italy in their respective tenures is interesting.

I reckon you're pretty wide of the mark with Ron. He's just signing players that he knows well.

I remember reading a column by Vickery on the BBC website saying Delgado was a marvellously astute signing, back in the day. I know it means little, but can be used as an example of how columnists can be said to not know arse from elbow.

The bloke was a striker who could score goals at International level. For £3m is was hardly a cock up in the Osvaldo mode but clearly, with hindsight, it wasn't a good purchase.

Are we really paying him £65k a week? Find that very odd when apparently Morgan was offered £60k a week to stay. One of these figure must be wrong and I really hope it is the first one.

When Ramirez signed his wages were pretty open knowledge. He basically said himself he only came for the money. He was said to be on €2m net per year with a €1m signing on fee. His signing has cost about £18m so far. let's see how much we have to pay him to leave. Along with Osvaldo can't be far off the £40m mark for 5 decent games between them. Still, all hail cortese. :lol:

Are you saying that Ron is the Dutch equivalent of 'Arry?

No. Although I would argue that as with Koeman we seem to go for players from a league he knows well, this usually also reflects on the contact network you have in that league's environment, including directors and agents. The temptation therefore is to always go for signings in leagues/countries where you believe you can get a swift and easy negotiation from.

Something natural on one hand, but not necessarily positive when overused.

We've had a few examples in the Prem recently, not catastrophic but certainly nothing to write home about. Look at Laudrup's Spanish Swansea, French Newcastle or Lawrie Sanchez's Fulham (of which Davis and Baird were part of).

Edited by melmacian_saint

Have to say i don't get the Gaston situation.

I understand we might have preferred have got him off the wage bill.

Surely the most sensible thing is to integrate him into the first team squad till at least christmas.

If he gets injured again ok. If he doesn't do well enough to break into match squad fair enough.

Surely both those options are better than a massive pay off or a tiny championship loan fee.

Have to say i don't get the Gaston situation.

I understand we might have preferred have got him off the wage bill.

Surely the most sensible thing is to integrate him into the first team squad till at least christmas.

If he gets injured again ok. If he doesn't do well enough to break into match squad fair enough.

Surely both those options are better than a massive pay off or a tiny championship loan fee.

Have you ever thought that perhaps the fact he swans out and in the club whenever Uruguay play, is always on the treatment table, but is one of the highest paid players at the club, causes a degree of friction amongst the first team ?

The fact that he is available for Uruguay suggests he is either playing in pain or that he isn't really on the treatment table that much. Maybe Koeman just prefers not to select him. I'm with Baird - if we are paying him mega-wages, at least let him play. We need the creativity off the bench. Gaston or Juanmi could provide it. Instead we get JWP off the bench.

Have you ever thought that perhaps the fact he swans out and in the club whenever Uruguay play, is always on the treatment table, but is one of the highest paid players at the club, causes a degree of friction amongst the first team ?

He hasn't played for Uruguay since 2014 (if he is selected for his national team do you think he should refuse to play?). He hasn't really been "on the treatment table" at Southampton since April 2014. Why would these things cause any degree of friction amongst the first team (many of whom would never have met him until June)? There is no hint of any friction within the team, he looks happy, involved and fit whenever pictured on the OS. We all get you don't like him, but lets at least stick to some facts to beat him with instead of made up nonsense.

And increase your chances of conceding and failing to retain the ball sensibly

Worth the risk IMO. The rest of the team can retain the ball sensibly, well maybe Pelle doesn't sometimes but those two should really be on the pitch to score or create a goal rather than to 'retain the ball sensibly'

Yes lets put a player on the bench and sub him on when he clearly doesn't want to be here. Koeman has seen enough of him to know that he's not good enough. Even if he has something about him, he doesn't have the attitude.

I don't care how much he's earning, if he doesn't want to be here then he can't be played in the first team.

Delgado was a good player. Its was our medics who effed up, not our scouts.

Jesus, how desperate are some of you lot.

f**k me, we have other options than this malingerer.

Koeman was willing to give him another chance, and apparently he's blown it - again.

F**king give it up. The desperation of some of you to see this player come good is reminiscent of a jilted girl hoping her ex-boyfriend will see the error of his ways and come running back.

Sooner he p*sses off to Penarol or wherever, the sooner we dont have a bunch of pussies giving wistful glances and hoping his next chance is the one he takes.