Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

Adam Blackmore just said on Solent that RK told him Ramirez could have left but said he wanted to stay at Saints.

Bizarre in a way. Must have been a poor offer!

Of course he wants to stay he's getting paid £65,000 a week essentially to be on one long holiday, I will admit he did a Killer pass tonight and put some effort in but anyone who thinks its anything other than another false dawn is very naive!

A fair comment

Very much beg to disagree - why on earth do (one imagines other wise sensible) people come up with such comments? If he left he would get his entire contract settled in full (if he choose), and be free to start with a new club on a new contract and even more money! Fact that he wants to try and prove himself here shows he is a decent and honest hard working player.

By all means comment on his failure to deliver so far, and how frustrating it is not to see his potential talent put to use as of yet, but cheap shots - aren't we beyond that?

Irrespective of how involved he is, he nearly always plays 1 killer pass. He has that in his locker. With Rodriguez slowly coming in to form and Mane with all his willing pace, someone like Ramirez sat behind could work like a slick oiled machine. Definitely an option worth having. I for one certainly hope he gets involved around the match day squad from here on in.

He was impressive when he came on, and a decent option for us. He's had a good few years in the prem now, so he's used to playing at this level. Just hope he has the willingness and desire to prove himself and get back into the matchday squads on a regular basis.

Would be a real shame to lose him for nothing.

Very much beg to disagree - why on earth do (one imagines other wise sensible) people come up with such comments? If he left he would get his entire contract settled in full (if he choose), and be free to start with a new club on a new contract and even more money! Fact that he wants to try and prove himself here shows he is a decent and honest hard working player.

By all means comment on his failure to deliver so far, and how frustrating it is not to see his potential talent put to use as of yet, but cheap shots - aren't we beyond that?

I imagine we we offered him say half the rest of his contract as a lump sum, so he could then sign on at a new club, I suspect for rather less money per week than we are paying him. Depending on the detaills of how much less per week at a new club etc, that might well mean he gets more overall, and be playing. But presumably it wasn't a good enough offer for him, so he decided to stay on with us, with to the end of his contract, or until we make a better pay-off offer, or his agent finds him a new club that will pay closer to his wage with us.

A new dawn? Maybe. I am sure that some get very complacent when they are paid £65k a week (or what ever it was), and take their eye completely off the ball. By the same token, I guess a realisation comes that unless you pull your weight, once your contract is up, then that might be it for the overly generous pay day.

Adam Blackmore said that Ramirez had rejected the chance to move on and wanted to stay for his final year. Given that the player rejected the move I guess the only other option was for the club to bring him back into the fold for one last time or just to completely isolate him from the first team.

I like his talent and under Pochettino, before his injury in the Sunderland game, he was starting to show signs of getting to grips with the level of physicality required of him. His loan at Hull was a disaster though. Even if he does well for us this season he walks away for free, but regardless if we're paying him a lot we may as well give him a chance as he costs us the same and walks away for free whether he plays like a superstar or trains with the U21's.

I was talking to a current player recently who said Ramirez is the most skilful player at the club.

Tadic v Ramirez? Give me the latter any day

Tadic isn't as skilful, but gives the ball away less, I'd say. I'm no great fan of either player, but have to admit that Tadic has a decent ratio of end product to his game.

Well it seems he has impressed Koeman recently in training.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34345282

"He's part of the squad, training well, well disciplined and not complaining. I admire that," said Koeman.

So maybe this is the new dawn?

Not sure what else he was going to say when asked a direct question about him. In fairness we will only know if he has truly impressed him if Gaston is put on the bench for a league match anytime soon.

So you think Gaston is going to suddenly improve then after 3 years at the club?

He's always been a good player but needs to be used properly. I felt that he was shipped out at the start of last season before Ron had even had a look at him. Whether we should adapt our style of playing to suit his talents is a different matter.

So you think Gaston is going to suddenly improve then after 3 years at the club?

On the basis of what I saw last night, I think it's entirely possible. He looked very composed on the ball last night and provided one superb pass and several other good ones. On the basis of last night you would pick him over Juanmi every time. At 24 he could yet mature into an excellent player.

On the basis of what I saw last night, I think it's entirely possible. He looked very composed on the ball last night and provided one superb pass and several other good ones. On the basis of last night you would pick him over Juanmi every time. At 24 he could yet mature into an excellent player.

On the basis of a cameo against a lower league second 11 already 4 goals down you think he is now going to rip up the PL........

Wow, The Gash gets another chance. I guess watching him earn 60K per week and doing f''*k-all, whilst we have trouble making chances, has become an itch that needs a scratch.

Watch him blow this last-last-last chance as well.

The forgiving-ness of certain Saints fans is either desperation, or due to Biblical-levels of generosity.

Funny place this. I'm as jaded about Ramirez as the next bloke but if we're paying the guy a rather serious wedge every week we might as well see what final little benefit we can squeeze out of it on the pitch. Especially in the Cups, until a chance comes up in the league. And if it doesn't work out we end up back where we have been for the past couple years - still spending the same wedge.

Wow, The Gash gets another chance. I guess watching him earn 60K per week and doing f''*k-all, whilst we have trouble making chances, has become an itch that needs a scratch.

Watch him blow this last-last-last chance as well.

The forgiving-ness of certain Saints fans is either desperation, or due to Biblical-levels of generosity.

I think I tend to agree with you, save for the forgiveness/generosity bit. He's "our" player at the moment. Getting on his back the whole time isn't really going to help the situation is it?

No idea how well he's going to do in the future, but so far, Wednesday night is the main thing we can judge him on. I know it was a weekday match against lower league opposition, but haven't we previously criticised players who show up on the big occasions, but don't put in the effort in exactly this sort of game?

As far as I'm concerned, he can try to earn his place like any fringe player. We let Puncheon come back and he did a good job for the team in the end. Let's all remember that in their first season, playing in the same team, Rodriguez gave us more goals and assists than JRod did, so it's not true that he was only ever poor for us. Supposedly he stopped getting picked after that because of attitude problems, there weren't actually many poor performances, he just stopped getting picked regularly and we all assumed from this that he wasn't putting in enough effort. If he's sorted that out, he might fit in again.

He deserves the same chance as every other player in the squad. He's being paid by the club, and will be if he plays or not so if he's prepared to put the effort in then why not get the benefit of that.

The big question is if he has a decent season, do we offer him a new contract or do we put it down to being one of those players who only try when contracts are due?

He deserves the same chance as every other player in the squad. He's being paid by the club, and will be if he plays or not so if he's prepared to put the effort in then why not get the benefit of that.

The big question is if he has a decent season, do we offer him a new contract or do we put it down to being one of those players who only try when contracts are due?

I can't see any way he gets a new contract with us. Even if he came in this week, played out of his skin for the rest of the season, scored a dozen goals and set up a dozen more, some one else will come in with a bigger deal for him anyway.

Couldn't see the club deciding to match anything to keep him.

Just hoping he might to do something in the remainder of this contract which will be of benefit to this campaign.

Maybe he'll score the winning goal in the FA Cup final and end up on the banner. Hilarious.

No one is looking for him to fail ( though you could argue he has already failed).

This has more to do with the fact people seem certain he is going to come good when all evidence suggests other wise. Gaston has had his moments over the last few seasons but those are heavily outnumbered by the none moments.

We've seen him put in good cameos in the cups a few times followed by hailing him a talent these cameos are never followed up.

So now we have people labeling Juanmi not good enough (after one start) and stating Gaston should walk back into the first team based on a brief appearance in an already won cup game.

If anything people seem desperate for Gaston to succeed rather than fail.

I'd be interested in seeing Gaston in a team that is by some measure of better quality than he previously played in. Mane for one offers so much movement and with Vic/Clasie behind him I would actually probably prefer him than JWP/SD for games where teams sit back and counter as he actually knows how to pass it forward.

And what exactly is wrong with wanting a player wearing a Saints shirt to succeed FFS?!?! Some of the arguments on here defy belief!

Who said there was anything wrong with that? I'm merely answering the comment that people want him to fail is clearly untrue. But hey if it gives you something to get upset about fill your boots.....

The simple fact is in the three years he's been here he has proved that despite his talent he simply isn't suited to the premier league & he never will be! nearly every football commentator agrees, and so do fans of other clubs, just ask hull fans what they think of him

I can't see any way he gets a new contract with us. Even if he came in this week, played out of his skin for the rest of the season, scored a dozen goals and set up a dozen more, some one else will come in with a bigger deal for him anyway.

Couldn't see the club deciding to match anything to keep him.

Just hoping he might to do something in the remainder of this contract which will be of benefit to this campaign.

Maybe he'll score the winning goal in the FA Cup final and end up on the banner. Hilarious.

I can. It may not be to the value he is hoping for, but a contract at a lower rate or 'pay as you play' deal may be possible. I'm sure he would like his next contract to pay upwards of £65k pw, but hopefully he has seen that not many came in in the last year to take him even at 65k. Maybe, just maybe, he wants to knuckle down and play regularly, keep fit and add value to the team. Hey, I can be optimistic.