Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

Ron clearly does not fancy him as a player. Nor reed or many others for that matter

think Ronald had seen his share of " spoilt " South-American players, and Gaston's record didn't help.

Now, he has a " win-win situation "....with the injury situation atm, Gaston will surely get some game time.

- if he does well, RK can say ..." we give everyone a chance and he proved his worth today ". He may get another chance.

- IF NOT .....he can say " there you are, I was right all the time."

Who are the muppets? Southampton FC for barely playing him and shipping him out on loan? Hull who sent him back after under performing? Fans are just disappointed that he's never really looked a £15m/65k a week footballer

If he suddenly turns into a worldbeater, great for us in the short term but I'll be even more disappointed he couldn't do it sooner. January shop-window opportunity springs to mind.

Hull sent him back because he got an injury that ruled him out the rest of the season didn't they?

Fans are just disappointed that he's never really looked a £15m/65k a week footballer

shows the difference between the " big-spending clubs " (I won't say the big clubs) that sort of contract would be "chicken feed" at Man.City, United or Chelsea.

- whereas the mere thought of that type of deal for Saints gives me cold shivers...when you see how it's turned out, and even worse with Osvaldo's fiasco.

Ron clearly does not fancy him as a player. Nor reed or many others for that matter

Some very positive comments from Ron on Gaston

“I was always positive about his individual qualities as a player,” admitted Koeman.

“Sometimes I had my doubts about his physically in the Premier League, because a lot of time injuries, he was on loan to Hull City last year, because it was difficult.

“What I like from Gaston is with all that kind of problems, with all that not a lot of opportunities, he was always working hard, he was always a very good professional.

“That’s important and then I am the first to give him that chance to play, that opportunity, if he is ok.

“We know his qualities. It’s a technically very good player.

“That’s all how everybody is working, how the team is doing, and that’s his situation and we will see what happens in the coming month.”

Hull sent him back because he got an injury that ruled him out the rest of the season didn't they?

They did but he struggled to make the first 11, didn't start more than a dozen games. I've read on their forums last season that they weren't particularly impressed.

I'm not a Ramirez basher, I think he'll be great again once he gets back to the slower Italian league, he's just taken too long (and too costly) to adjust to the rigours of the Premier.

Give Pelle a rest and try Juanmi up front with Ramirez just behind against a slow villa back line and bam we win 8-0 :smug:

That would be a brave new world, An exciting one if it works too.

Wouldn't be a massive departure from playing Long and Rodriguez instead of Pelle against MK. Though obviously in theory the opposition is better.

I like him as a player, has fantastic ability and is by far are most creative player, has had loads of injurys which never seem to allow him to get upto full match fitness and when he was at match fitness Lallana was first choice in the same role.

Would like to see a forward line of Pelle, Mane, Tadic and Gaston, with Gaston in the center feeding his lovely through balls and picking out passes and little chips and stuff to Pelle Mane and Tadic. Just needs match practise

Cant really say much about his time at hull ,they where not the most attacking team and always seem to have 10 players behind the ball defending which is not Gastons strength at all.

Would like to see him start tonight in the center.

Thats just my opinion though, i know 99 % of this forum hate him, which i dnot blame you for he has not produced the form we know he can, but i put that down to lacking match fitness and his curse with injurys.

But just think of it this way, if he does play how we know he can then you have to admit he is a fantastic player and would do more than just a job for us, he has the ability to be better than Tadic and about on par with Mane. and with them 3 and Pelle that has to be one of the best front lines in the league on par with Gunners city and United easy, left chelsea out as they are horrid ATM haha

Personally I get the impression that Gaston doesn't want to be here anymore and all of this is to get game time before he leaves. He needs games because if he leaves us, no club will pay half of what he's earning now unless he proves he can do it. That's good for us. It doesn't matter what his motivation is as long as he puts in a shift.

I hope i'm wrong and he finally proves me right as to what a class player he is. He's been such a huge disappointment as I'd seen a bit of him before and he really was one of Europe's premier young talents. Fingers crossed!!

Personally I get the impression that Gaston doesn't want to be here anymore and all of this is to get game time before he leaves. He needs games because if he leaves us, no club will pay half of what he's earning now unless he proves he can do it. That's good for us. It doesn't matter what his motivation is as long as he puts in a shift.

I hope i'm wrong and he finally proves me right as to what a class player he is. He's been such a huge disappointment as I'd seen a bit of him before and he really was one of Europe's premier young talents. Fingers crossed!!

Nutshell. It's been a while.

For a £12m-whatever transfer fee and about the same again in salary, it's been a big disappointment for all concerned, just leave us with a favourable lasting memory, ta.

I thought he was good against arsenal at home (1-1) and when we beat newcastle. Off the top of my head

generally, in season 1, thought he was pretty decent

he was decent at Fulham the week before the Arsenal game as well.

if he had come through our ranks (and thus without the price tag and wage) I wonder how differently he would be treated on here? Likewise ff we'd spent £10m on JWP would he have more fans on his back on this forum?

if he had come through our ranks (and thus without the price tag and wage) I wonder how differently he would be treated on here? Likewise ff we'd spent £10m on JWP would he have more fans on his back on this forum?

certainly think he was better in season 1 compared to Long last season or what Juanmi will be this season

Youngsters coming through the ranks are given time to develop (and rightly so) whereas Gaston was brought in as a ready made player who was already class.

The "positive" comments seem to say something akin to "he's technically good but that doesn't matter when he's shoved off the ball all the time" to me.

Seems a bit of a strange interpretation of Ron's comments. Can't really see where you get the bit about being shoved off the ball from, amongst the comments. I think maybe that's your "opinion".

gaston is reportedly on 65k a week does anyone think this is true?

This presumably stems from when he signed, when it was reported in the Echo "The report in Italy suggests Ramirez will be paid €2m a year and a €1m signing on fee by Saints - all net." [http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/9879668.Saints__agree_record_fee_for_Ramirez_/]

The important word was "net". I tried to do the sums, but gave up, but if the report from Italy was true, then it would have meant at the time about£65k I think. Of course, if his contract was in Euros, then it would be a bit less now, nevertheless it is a significant wage, IF THE REPORTS FROM ITALY WERE TO BE BELIEVED.

Judging by the ease at which Liverpool players caught up with and dispossessed Juanmi on Sunday when we were breaking away' date=' I wouldn't think he'd cause them too much trouble![/quote']

I wasn't to impressed with the way Juanmi stood off, and didn't close down. Gave them too much time and space in our own half which got us in to trouble. Would prefer to see Gaston for now.

He managed to turn the game on it's head when we were losing at Anfield. There is no doubt he is a very clever footballer. There is also no doubt he has underperformed for us though I was glad he was around in our first season in the Premier. Provided he stays fit I would like to see him regularly in the present team at some point in each game as he gives us something different to Davis and JWP. He also picks out a perceptive pass. It's a shame Mane isn't playing tonight.

He managed to turn the game on it's head when we were losing at Anfield. There is no doubt he is a very clever footballer.

Rubbish , he won a header that Liverpool defended poorly . Point me in the direction of one neutral or one report that claimed he " turned the game " . It's not like he did what Long did for Ireland or against Leicester last season . He won one poorly defended header for gods sake . It's becoming the bestest greatest header ever won in Saints history , the Gastinettes are wetting themselves over that header and then the famous Bestie like run ( that wasn't even shown on MoTD) .

The only clever thing about him is the way he's managed to nick a 50k a week living .

Rubbish , he won a header that Liverpool defended poorly . Point me in the direction of one neutral or one report that claimed he " turned the game " . It's not like he did what Long did for Ireland or against Leicester last season . He won one poorly defended header for gods sake . It's becoming the bestest greatest header ever won in Saints history , the Gastinettes are wetting themselves over that header and then the famous Bestie like run ( that wasn't even shown on MoTD) .

The only clever thing about him is the way he's managed to nick a 50k a week living .

So the run was no good because it wasn't shown on MoTD, priceless. Surprised you are allowed to stay up late to watch MoTD, or "Klopp Love in" as it has now been rebranded.

By the way its 60k, not 50k according to the experts.

Youngsters coming through the ranks are given time to develop (and rightly so) whereas Gaston was brought in as a ready made player who was already class.

perhaps imports should be given the same time and grace? I know 23 is old for a footballer in this day and age, but for some players their best days are still in front of them and Gaston could well be the one of those. I'm not for one minute saying he has justified the fee or that he has good reason for not shining, but I still don't quite `get' why fans on here wrote him off so quickly. I guess its hard to get over the fact he costs so much, despite the fact we don't really pay his wages these days.

Maybe derry has exaggerated a bit, but he certainly gave us the impetus that helped grab a draw. He did everything asked in the time he was on the pitch. Kept possession well, stretched the play, tracked back, made incisive runs, moved the ball quickly, ran at defenders, set up a goal. I'm not sure what else he could have done.

There's plenty of stuff you can judge from being at a game that you don't get from watching a match on tv. As for his run not being on MOTD that means nothing. They routinely miss out good chances and incidents in games especially when they feel the need to spend time with their tongue inserted halfway up Klopp's rectum that could have been devoted to match footage.

That run to set up Pelle's air shot was everything you want in a number 10. Held the ball up, turned his man, drove at the defence and played a great through ball weighted perfectly. But it came late in the game when the game was more open and stretched. Let's see if he can do it in the 20th minute rather than the 90th

perhaps imports should be given the same time and grace? I know 23 is old for a footballer in this day and age, but for some players their best days are still in front of them and Gaston could well be the one of those. I'm not for one minute saying he has justified the fee or that he has good reason for not shining, but I still don't quite `get' why fans on here wrote him off so quickly. I guess its hard to get over the fact he costs so much, despite the fact we don't really pay his wages these days.

I'm one of his biggest defenders! I was gobsmacked when we signed him but there's a difference between bringing a youngster into the first team and signing a foreign player who's already a first team regular who needs to settle. Maybe our league just doesn't suit him but he's done himself no favors imo. You don't usually loan out talented players with the right attitude.

Like I said before, I think he wants to put himself in the shop window as it's dawned on him he'll be leaving soon and the benefactors of this will be us, so i'm all for it.

Maybe our league just doesn't suit him but he's done himself no favors imo. You don't usually loan out talented players with the right attitude.

Fair point. I was surprised that RK didn't give him more of a chance. He tried to get him out the door as soon as he arrived. He must have been given the heads up on his arrival or Gaston made a seriously bad impression in the first week of pre-season training. Water under the bridge now. I for one though hope he has one or two great games in the next few weeks forcing Ron to consider his options going forward.

Fair point. I was surprised that RK didn't give him more of a chance. He tried to get him out the door as soon as he arrived. He must have been given the heads up on his arrival or Gaston made a seriously bad impression in the first week of pre-season training. Water under the bridge now. I for one though hope he has one or two great games in the next few weeks forcing Ron to consider his options going forward.

Same mate, I really hope this is a corner turned for him now but i've been waiting for this for a while now :lol:

Fair point. I was surprised that RK didn't give him more of a chance. He tried to get him out the door as soon as he arrived.

Thought he went out on loan on deadline day (1st September). That would have been more than 2 months after Ronald joined. He even played him on one game I think, it was a bit of a shock when Ramirez went out on loan.

Thought he went out on loan on deadline day (1st September). That would have been more than 2 months after Ronald joined. He even played him on one game I think, it was a bit of a shock when Ramirez went out on loan.

He didn't have a full preseason after the WC. Remember he featured as a sub in the wham game and did well. But was shopped out to Hull soon after (which I can partially understand). Les was bigging him up this preseason, though it's still a mystery why he vanished again -injury, lack of fitness or something else. Like MP, Ron appears to have his favourites.

I thought he was terrible in the first half. He looked unhappy playing out wide and sluggish. Maybe he isn't match fit as he certainly looked to be pacing himself. On the ball his touch wasn't good enough and he gave the ball away a lot. He was exactly the player people who don't rate him paint him to be.

Second half he looked sharper and much more of a threat.

Had a fairly good game tonight. Set up Yoshida for his goal. Two assists in two games ain't bad.

You can hardly call that an 'assist' it was a pass which Yosh turned into a chance - that's not an assist.... Ok Gaston is not a right winger and shouldn't be played out there but he was very average indeed tonight - along with several others admitedly but still not any where near the first eleven ...

You can hardly call that an 'assist' it was a pass which Yosh turned into a chance - that's not an assist.... Ok Gaston is not a right winger and shouldn't be played out there but he was very average indeed tonight - along with several others admitedly but still not any where near the first eleven ...

weather you like it or not, he assisted Yosh's goal and the the pass was perfect too ( simple pass but was spot on, to hard yosh fails to control it, to soft and its intercepted. so perfect. ).................. 2 assists in 2 games... i do agree he didnt play to well, but its his first start in a long time and is hardly match fit, and was played out of position, he is no winger........

most of the team didnt play well tbh

. i do agree he didnt play to well, but its his first start in a long time and is hardly match fit, and was played out of position, he is no winger........

tbh

And don't forget , he hasn't had a full season , he's young and in a foreign country, he clearly has talent, he played well in the villa game , and he turned the game against Liverpool

And don't forget , he hasn't had a full season , he's young and in a foreign country, he clearly has talent, he played well in the villa game , and he turned the game against Liverpool

This si why im not expecting him to be as on form as Tadic and Mane who have both had a full pre season and games to play. if he gets a chance to get fully matchfit i expect him to put in some dam good displays.

Stek

Soares Fonte Dijk Betrand

Wanyama Classie

Mane Gaston Tadic

Pelle

That is a very good team...... not that we dont have one any way with JWP / Davis in midfield. But Gaston brings so much more than these two. Maybe not defensivly but offesively he is better than both put together...............

This is exactly why some people's opinions grind me a little. Yes first half he didn't look comfortable in the same way that Tadic doesn't look comfortable on the right and the same way Mane doesn't look comfortable on the left. Play a player in his preferred position and all of a sudden they look better. Gaston shouldn't be playing wide right. He needs to be played through the middle, but that gives us another problem. He doesn't have the work rate of Davis to press from the front for 90 minutes. He's more of a luxury and needs picking according to how Koeman wants to play. I'd like to see him start in the hole against Bournemouth as I think the midfield and defence can cope. See how he gets on.

Hopefully the Gastonettes will STFU now . He was average at best , and that's being kind to him. I just wish I had a £ for everytime he gave the ball away , cause that would've paid for a few noggins afterwards .

Thankfully we've only got a few more months of him nicking a living off us .

I don't mind creative players giving the ball away in the final third, as it means they're actually trying to create something. We have enough midfielders obsessed with the pass completion percentage and if there is one area we've struggled in the last couple of years it's been creativity. I'm far from convinced by Gaston and he certainly hasn't been worth the money we've paid for him, but if we're going to give him a chance then give him a proper chance and play him behind the striker and not out wide