Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

Actually I did, but can't understand how you differentiate between " one assist and another "...which is why I posted #721.

I've watched back at the match highlights - enough posted around on here - Do you really think that Gaston's pass didn't assist the play....and eventual goal?

You can differentiate between "assists" because an assist is not a thing. It was made up for the sake of stattos and fantasy football players.

A goal is a goal is a goal. A goal is a thing.

Crediting every player with an assist because they happen to be the second to last player to touch the ball before a goal is not a thing.

You can differentiate between "assists" because an assist is not a thing. It was made up for the sake of stattos and fantasy football players.

Crediting every player with an assist because they happen to be the second to last player to touch the ball before a goal is not a thing.

Yes OK....if you like, it was "dreamed up" to give validation to players who don't actually score much in order to show how much they contribute to the team's success.

Anyway, I think I've had enough of this for now.....More important things ..... I've got to go and change my grandson's nappy.

But none of those things did happen and he did assist the goal. If Yoshida hadn't made the run we wouldn't have scored, and if your Mum hadn't opened her legs that night and given your Dad the simple job of ejaculating inside her you wouldn't be here.

Point out where I said Gaston's pass was a "wonder". And it will make the end of season video unless they randomly cut the move out and only show Yoshida shooting.

Proper effed up thinking right there.

An assist is not the moment of conception for a goal.

Maya Yoshida runs 30 odd yards with the ball, instigating a one-two with another player and lashes one home from 20 yards out, and you're giving the other guy the conception credit? Brilliant.

Turns out my dad is not my dad after all, and I should have been sending fathers day cards to the guy who drove the bus he caught back from town that night.

An "assist" is not an end itself and your obsession with it is just pointless stat-wa nk. If anything Maya should be credited with the assist of giving Gaston a pi ss easy one-two wall pass to be part of in the goal he ran a third of the length of the flipping pitch to score.

Edited by CB Fry

I think they are both things made up by someone.

Happy to assist.

(Btw - Maddison's little header to le Tiss was a lovely touch.)

Does Gaston get credit for the second goal, was it some sort of " assist" , I'm sure the Gastonettes can find it somehow. Perhaps the relief of seeing the genius leave the pitch , meant the villa players switched off and allowed Davis to find Tadic to set up Pelle. A bit like a batsmen seeing off the quicks and then getting out to the part time bowler after losing concentration . Personally , I'd rather Ron got the credit, wanting to put the game to bed he decided he'd had enough of Gaston mincing around and put some proper players on .

Proper effed up thinking right there.

An assist is not the moment of conception for a goal.

Maya Yoshida runs 30 odd yards with the ball, instigating a one-two with another player and lashes one home from 20 yards out, and you're giving the other guy the conception credit? Brilliant.

Turns out my dad is not my dad after all, and I should have been sending fathers day cards to the guy who drove the bus he caught back from town that night.

An "assist" is not an end itself and your obsession with it is just pointless stat-wa nk. If anything Maya should be credited with the assist of giving Gaston a pi ss easy one-two wall pass to be part of in the goal he ran a third of the length of the flipping pitch to score.

4 posts is an obsession?

Point to where I gave him conception credit. He assisted the goal whether you like it or not. If he wasn't stood where he was Yoshida couldn't have played the 1-2 and probably wouldn't have scored.

You are batty.

He played well. I like the fact he looks for the first time pass and knows where he's going to pass before he receives the ball. I thought he showed strength I've not seen before too. I think he'd benefit by playing with more attack minded players such as Mane, long, jay as they like to make intelligent runs.

Gaston lovers 2 - 0 Gaston haters

That's true. He was looking for a runner Wed night but no one making those runs, so holding on to it until muscled off. Agree with the comment above that he seemed to be pacing himself though. I too thought we would see a master class from him, but we didn't really and could disagree with the substitution. Davis linked the play straight away.

No idea how they came up with those stats because presumably they give Davis 1 assist for passing 2 yards before Rodriguez ran half the pitch to score, but don't give Shane Long one for squaring the ball to set Mane up with a simple finish.

we do

Clearly, its not an assist if the pass wasn't that difficult or was far away from goal, the same way that PKs and tap-ins are not real goals.

Can I also mention that ice hockey records two assists on each goal (if no defender touches in between) in an effort to troll a Ralf dig? (I suspect that second assists may well be the key ingredient in the Southampton Black Box.)

Actually, it sounds like a perfect illustration of being a thing.

Yes OK....if you like, it was "dreamed up" to give validation to players who don't actually score much in order to show how much they contribute to the team's success.

Anyway, I think I've had enough of this for now.....More important things ..... I've got to go and change my grandson's nappy.

That is also a thing.

no one remembers who assisted MLTs great goals....he must have loads of people to thank

Who passed it to MLT before his mazy dribble around 3 Blackburn players and subsequent 40 yard arching shot over Flowers all those years ago? What an assist that was.

Who passed it to MLT before his mazy dribble around 3 Blackburn players and subsequent 40 yard arching shot over Flowers all those years ago? What an assist that was.

Much the same as a goal going in off your arse without your knowledge - they're not all worthy of merit but players with high assist counts are very good because they, erm, assist with goals. See Fabregas last season.

Actually, it sounds like a perfect illustration of being a thing.

Really, really not a thing. It's beautiful that even the statto geeks haven't deigned to call Gastons bog standard wall pass an assist, and the forum dinlows have to pick up the pieces of their stat-guff bullsh it.

Not an assist. Game over. Thank you and goodnight x x x

Really, really not a thing. It's beautiful that even the statto geeks haven't deigned to call Gastons bog standard wall pass an assist, and the forum dinlows have to pick up the pieces of their stat-guff bullsh it.

Not an assist. Game over. Thank you and goodnight x x x

Although the same "statto geeks" decided Davis' 2 yard pass to Rodriguez for the first goal at MK was an assist.

Have a great weekend CB. Going to the game are you? Thought not. Probably too busy being cu nt on the internet somewhere.

Some very dodgy scoring there I'm afraid. Vvd was excellent the whole game. Pelle scored but otherwise contributed little through out and particularly first half, Gaston admittedly was played out of position but was very average or below that...

Victor actually played pretty well. He might look lethargic but he's actually putting a shift in..

Agreed- Victor always look lethergic, he just strolls about. Showed his awesome strength at times on Wednesday.

Gaston was poor- the rest of the team had to carry him due to his poor passing and he had a few through balls played to him in the second half (a couple of them one-twos) and he looked like he couldn't be bothered to go up a gear and chase the ball. We can't afford to play him; he's like having half a player on the pitch. There's a reason our manager hasn't rated him all season. Fingers crossed things will stay like that.

Where was he today ?

Injured , or not wanted/rated by Ron despite being short of attacking bench options . Perhaps one of his many supporters could enlighten me.

It's nearly worth the club having another mini injury crisis where Ronald is forced to pick Gaston just so we can see the drips on this forum whipping themselves in a frenzy, and making out Gaston's "comeback" is the greatest footballing redemption in living memory.

He done an assist he did.

It's nearly worth the club having another mini injury crisis where Ronald is forced to pick Gaston just so we can see the drips on this forum whipping themselves in a frenzy, and making out Gaston's "comeback" is the greatest footballing redemption in living memory.

He done an assist he did.

You're still being a tedious c.unt then?

Seems old, news now but really don't get how anyone thinks that wasn't an assist.

It is a fantasy football creation and he gets the points if that was a PL game. Skill involved is not a factor..

Amazing something so innocuous can get heated as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Baffling that Ramirez still can't get a look in amongst some of the most inept saints midfield displays ever. We are 3-1 down in a cup tie and all we can bring on is ward prowse and long... End result 1-6. They offer nothing from the bench, at least Ramirez in his ten minutes at anfield this season showed more than ward-prowse has done in his entire saints career.

Can people just let this one go? He's clearly finished here and has been for at least 18 months. Let's just forget he exists and he'll drift away in January as expected. Pointless debating it.

Fair enough he's not signing a new contract and will be gone at the end of the season. But we might as well use him whilst he's ours ffs.

bizarre attitude given the rubbish that plays instead.

Just shows how shockingly poor he Is, he can't even get on the bench . The bizarre attitude isn't with the ones who agree with the manager , but the ones who hang onto this deluded dream that he's actually a good player .

There are 3 explanations for his lack of game time .

1. You & other Gastonettes know more about football than Poch & Ron .

2. Poch & Ron actually think he's really good , but can't or won't play him .

3. He's a shocking waste of money who is incapable of having a career in the premiership .

At least we could have sung happy birthday to him.

There was a muted chorus of "ohhh Gaston Ramirez" just after the final subs were made last night. I thought that was weird even knowing it was his birthday. Best present he could get was not having to play in that result. :o

There was a muted chorus of "ohhh Gaston Ramirez" just after the final subs were made last night. I thought that was weird even knowing it was his birthday. Best present he could get was not having to play in that result. :o

It was odd that he was on the bench (unused of course) on Saturday, then last night he was not even on the bench. I can only guess it was designed to **** him off by making him travel all the way to Manchester for nothing so that he will get lost in January with less fuss. As you say he was probably pleased in hindsight not to be associated with the shambles last night. Like Blackmore said, the only one to come out with credit last night was Jose Fonte.

Difficult to see what could be said that was positive. Not a lot wrong with what Alps has posted really. Only apologists would see anything positive from last night.

I don't think that you will find many people apologising for that performance will you? I just wonder how much worse it could have been if Ramirez had played? Alpine used the defeat to have another pop at one of his favourite targets and the bloke was no where near the pitch!!

Another crap performance, another day of self doubt for Saints fans, another resurrection of the Gashton CDAJFU thread..

Oh and 'another crap performance.' How many times have we been beaten like that this season? In fact we have just had a really good run of results, but one terrible result and all of a sudden Alpine's doom and gloom is acceptable?