Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

OK.

But in his first season with us, JRod in a more attacking position scored one more goal than Gaston did in his first season. Shame that Gaston seemed to go backwards, while JRod went forwards. But I would dispute your bit about throwing most of your chips onto the table and not coming off. Given that we apparently did, how did we prosper? Do you think we under achieved because all those chips went on bad bets?

I don't think he really did go backwards, his place in the side was taken by a inform Rodriguez and lallana under poch. Add in a few injuries and all of a sudden he was out in the wilderness and the board look like they gave up on him.

When given a chance of the bench he still contributed the odd goal and assist, I think this situation could have been very different if he had found himself in front of Rodriguez in the pecking order.

I haven't been to Middlesborough.......

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Middlesbrough is not up to much, but the surrounding hinterland is very pleasant. Anyway, a lot of 'Boro' fans are Teesiders from outside of Boro and on the whole a friendly lot.

• 2 weeks later...
Middlesbrough is not up to much, but the surrounding hinterland is very pleasant. Anyway, a lot of 'Boro' fans are Teesiders from outside of Boro and on the whole a friendly lot.

The FD of boro is a massive saints fan. he was in the sains end away at boro in our promotion season. Fact

I so wanted him to be great. But he never was. some neat and tidy things here and there, but he was pretty much the best paid Saints player EVER.

I'll let that sink in.

With that comes expectation and he was woeful. I can't believe people say "he showed glimpses" or "given more game time he would have been great". He wasn't.

Do you honestly think the powers that be, didn't want him to get in the team after spending all that money? I bet they were continually asking the managers whether he was going to be good enough and wanting him to appear in the team. But finally the penny dropped that he simply isn't good enough.

An earlier post actually said " he never moaned and always tried". Bloody hell rather than celebrating that, surely that should be the absolute bare minimum of what we could expect!! In a nutshell he came here, wasn't good enough, and walked away three and a half years later having been paid £11 million quid basic salary.

I so wanted him to be great. But he never was. some neat and tidy things here and there, but he was pretty much the best paid Saints player EVER.

I'll let that sink in.

With that comes expectation and he was woeful. I can't believe people say "he showed glimpses" or "given more game time he would have been great". He wasn't.

Do you honestly think the powers that be, didn't want him to get in the team after spending all that money? I bet they were continually asking the managers whether he was going to be good enough and wanting him to appear in the team. But finally the penny dropped that he simply isn't good enough.

An earlier post actually said " he never moaned and always tried". Bloody hell rather than celebrating that, surely that should be the absolute bare minimum of what we could expect!! In a nutshell he came here, wasn't good enough, and walked away three and a half years later having been paid £11 million quid basic salary.

Yep.

Paid more than MLT, Ted, Antii, James Beattie, Rickie Lambert, Bobby Stokes, Mick Channon. Probably put together..

I'll let that sink in.

Is it his fault he earned a ton of money? Perhaps the person who signed him and offered him the contract in the first place should take the blame?

Is it his fault he earned a ton of money? Perhaps the person who signed him and offered him the contract in the first place should take the blame?

Plus, at least he was he was honest about it. How many players have said straight out when asked why they signed for a particular club, "because they will pay me so much money"? And whatever any one of us criticises him for, lack of effort can't be levelled at him.

Just to put the record straight about what Gaston's lifestyle might be living in the Middlesbrough area, their training ground is not actually in Middlesbrough but across the road from where I live in the village of Hurworth-on-Tees, just outside Darlington. It's a fairly nice village and the area around the training ground is particularly nice. Indeed, the Rockcliffe Hall Hotel (https://www.rockliffehall.com) which is adjacent to Middlesbrough's training ground was one of the hotels used by the New Zealand team during this year's rugby World Cup and comes complete with its own championship quality golf course.

Then there is where most of the players live. In general they do not live in Middlesbrough itself, though a few may live in the village of Nunthorpe which is technically part of Middlesbrough. Most, however, live a few miles away in posh Yorkshire town, Yarm, famous for its public school (http://www.yarmschool.org), or neighbouring village Kirklevington, where Steve McClaren used to live. They frequent the nightlife in that area too and particularly Judges Country House Hotel (http://judgeshotel.co.uk) and The Keys (http://www.thekeys.co.uk/yarm). I know this because the daughter of my next-door neighbour once dated a Middlesbrough player.

As for the town of Middlesbrough, like any town it has its nice areas and poorer areas - and, of course, unemployment in the area is high following the recent closure of the steel works, which were situated just outside Middlesbrough. It has got two areas of the highest poverty in the UK, but despite that, the people of Middlesbrough are very, very friendly.

My own experience of Middlesbrough (and I visit the town often to connect with local youth workers) is very positive and I would say that there are much, much worse places to live.

I have also been to Hull (though only a few times) and while some of the people I have met from Hull are quite chavvy, in general it didn't really live up to its poor reputation. Indeed when visiting the town centre I was quite struck by the beauty of some of its buildings. Once again, I would not doubt that the players of Hull will live in some of the nicer parts just outside Hull. Their training ground is in Cottingham, East Yorkshire, just south of Beverley. I have visited Beverley and Brough several times and that whole area is quite nice.

So, I would have to say that Gaston has not taken a step down in lifestyle in moving north, so don't feel too sorry for him in that respect. If you want to feel sorry for him, feel sorry that he didn't ever make the grade with Southampton and demonstrate the class that has remained sadly elusive throughout his time as a Saints player. :)

Just to put the record straight about what Gaston's lifestyle might be living in the Middlesbrough area, their training ground is not actually in Middlesbrough but across the road from where I live in the village of Hurworth-on-Tees, just outside Darlington. It's a fairly nice village and the area around the training ground is particularly nice. Indeed, the Rockcliffe Hall Hotel (https://www.rockliffehall.com) which is adjacent to Middlesbrough's training ground was one of the hotels used by the New Zealand team during this year's rugby World Cup and comes complete with its own championship quality golf course.

Then there is where most of the players live. In general they do not live in Middlesbrough itself, though a few may live in the village of Nunthorpe which is technically part of Middlesbrough. Most, however, live a few miles away in posh Yorkshire town, Yarm, famous for its public school (http://www.yarmschool.org), or neighbouring village Kirklevington, where Steve McClaren used to live. They frequent the nightlife in that area too and particularly Judges Country House Hotel (http://judgeshotel.co.uk) and The Keys (http://www.thekeys.co.uk/yarm). I know this because the daughter of my next-door neighbour once dated a Middlesbrough player.

As for the town of Middlesbrough, like any town it has its nice areas and poorer areas - and, of course, unemployment in the area is high following the recent closure of the steel works, which were situated just outside Middlesbrough. It has got two areas of the highest poverty in the UK, but despite that, the people of Middlesbrough are very, very friendly.

My own experience of Middlesbrough (and I visit the town often to connect with local youth workers) is very positive and I would say that there are much, much worse places to live.

I have also been to Hull (though only a few times) and while some of the people I have met from Hull are quite chavvy, in general it didn't really live up to its poor reputation. Indeed when visiting the town centre I was quite struck by the beauty of some of its buildings. Once again, I would not doubt that the players of Hull will live in some of the nicer parts just outside Hull. Their training ground is in Cottingham, East Yorkshire, just south of Beverley. I have visited Beverley and Brough several times and that whole area is quite nice.

So, I would have to say that Gaston has not taken a step down in lifestyle in moving north, so don't feel too sorry for him in that respect. If you want to feel sorry for him, feel sorry that he didn't ever make the grade with Southampton and demonstrate the class that has remained sadly elusive throughout his time as a Saints player. :)

Have you ever lived in the North East ? It's a **** hole and Boro is one of the biggest!

Very galling to see him playing so well tonight thus far.

He's got talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it very galling?

Last time I looked we're sixth in the Premier League doing perfectly well without any need for Gaston Ramirez, and that's been the case for three years now.

Quite frankly he could score six goals a game for Boro for all I care.

Classic Gaston thread this has become. People now digging him out for playing well while out on loan.

I see Sam McQueen scored on loan for Southend recently. But it's a terrible standard in that league and as such, he's nowhere near playing for us now that we're a top half prem team. Anyone irritated by that too?

Gaston clearly hasn't been a success here, especially for the cost, but has shown he's a very talented player in flashes, but for whatever reason hasn't been able to produce any consistency when he's had his chance in the Prem. When he eventually leaves and goes to say Italian or Spanish football, I would expect him to do well in the slower paced approach.

If he plays well on loan, rather than be galling, it is surely a good thing - either raises his profile and makes him appealing to sell in the summer or (not sure if we can recall him?) if we have a major injury crisis all of sudden, he will come back into the squad match sharp.

What's the problem?

Classic Gaston thread this has become. People now digging him out for playing well while out on loan.

I see Sam McQueen scored on loan for Southend recently. But it's a terrible standard in that league and as such, he's nowhere near playing for us now that we're a top half prem team. Anyone irritated by that too?

Gaston clearly hasn't been a success here, especially for the cost, but has shown he's a very talented player in flashes, but for whatever reason hasn't been able to produce any consistency when he's had his chance in the Prem. When he eventually leaves and goes to say Italian or Spanish football, I would expect him to do well in the slower paced approach.

If he plays well on loan, rather than be galling, it is surely a good thing - either raises his profile and makes him appealing to sell in the summer or (not sure if we can recall him?) if we have a major injury crisis all of sudden, he will come back into the squad match sharp.

What's the problem?

He's a free agent in the summer. He could go on and get 20-odd goals and assists between now and June while on loan, it won't make a difference as we won't get a penny for him at the end of the season.

He's a free agent in the summer. He could go on and get 20-odd goals and assists between now and June while on loan, it won't make a difference as we won't get a penny for him at the end of the season.

OK, fine, well good luck to him then. And if we did need to recall him, what i posted above applies. Helped nab us a point at Anfield for example earlier this season.

For me, there's been times when he has been unnecessarily overlooked (Poch clearly didnt fancy him, just didn't fit the MP mould) as well the times when he has clearly under performed when he has had a chance. So i'll wish him well, he hasn't lived up to the expectation at all, but in his first season he did as much as the likes of Lallana in keeping us up and it hasn't worked out from there.

i do think he was an important statement signing from us when we were promoted, regardless of how he has panned out - it told everyone we were serious and here to stay, and i think i remember some players comments fromthe few weeks after he signed talking about what a lift his signing had given everyone in believing that we were good enough in the Prem.

I don't know about classic but a lot of people really liked Gaston. He worked hard, got unlucky with injuries and probably saw the style of play change to the point where he simply did not fit here. I like to think the thread was revived because people were pleased to see him do well. We all hoped he would deliver the goods whilst at Saints and it's bitter sweet to see him do it elsewhere - but good on him. Let's hope he can keep it up!!!

What's the problem?

In terms of your comparison, the problem is transfer fee and wages in the examples given.

I think both of them could end up having a similar impact for Saints in the Prem, would having Gaston's Saints career be regarded as a success for an academy product?

OK, fine, well good luck to him then. And if we did need to recall him, what i posted above applies. Helped nab us a point at Anfield for example earlier this season.

We can't recall him. He's on a season-long loan and there are no transfer windows left which is the only time you can recall players on season-long loans.

We can't recall him. He's on a season-long loan and there are no transfer windows left which is the only time you can recall players on season-long loans.

Great, well, next time he does something of note for Boro I'll be sure to jump on here and give him a load of grief because we paid a lot of money for him.

The constant criticism of him is really tedious, the move hasn't worked out as they sometimes don't, the transfer fee and wage his agent managed to negotiate wasn't his fault and at the time, I don't think there were many fans who thought it was a bad move or too much money, just an exciting signing and signal of our intent.

Great, well, next time he does something of note for Boro I'll be sure to jump on here and give him a load of grief because we paid a lot of money for him.

The constant criticism of him is really tedious, the move hasn't worked out as they sometimes don't, the transfer fee and wage his agent managed to negotiate wasn't his fault and at the time, I don't think there were many fans who thought it was a bad move or too much money, just an exciting signing and signal of our intent.

I completely agree about how tedious it is, I haven't really given a toss about Gaston one way or another since Pochettino took over and it became obvious he didn't fit. He was a professional, worked harder than he got credit for, but it became obvious within 6 months that his skills weren't suited to the League we played in and soon weren't suited to the way we played either. He's also lucky we had Osvaldo showing just how bad terrible buys actually can be.

**** me , I'd thought we'd had enough on this forum about this waster , but no The Gastonettes are determined to pay homage to the great man . I can see it now , the year 2056 and the Gastonettes banging on about an assist in the Montevideo Walking Football league .

Yep. This is really the thread that refuses to die.

I am suprirsed the mods havent closed it. Its nothing to do with SFC. The player involved has gone.

**** me , I'd thought we'd had enough on this forum about this waster , but no The Gastonettes are determined to pay homage to the great man . I can see it now , the year 2056 and the Gastonettes banging on about an assist in the Montevideo Walking Football league .

Yep. This is really the thread that refuses to die.

I am suprirsed the mods havent closed it. Its nothing to do with SFC. The player involved has gone.

If you don't like it or him go onto different thread you norks all former and present saints have something to do with SFC

He will return to premier league with middlesbrough. He is at least better than Juanmi.

Can't see him signing for Middlesborough he's a free agent so I would expect him to attract a decent contract at a bigger club probablyy back in Italy or maybe in Spain

Can't see him signing for Middlesborough he's a free agent so I would expect him to attract a decent contract at a bigger club probablyy back in Italy or maybe in Spain

With the new TV deal if Boro get promoted and want to keep him I'd be surprised if they couldn't outbid anyone who would realistically want him in Italy or Spain wages-wise...

Boro fans loving him ! "And Ramirez. Wow. What an absolute signing this guy is already turning out to be. I can't stop watching his goal. It's like time just froze as the ball came to him, he had all the time in the world just to take that down, square up his body and place it right into the top corner. He was running at players, getting himself involved, looking for the killer pass. He won a penalty in which he forced the defender into a stupid tackle as a last ditch attempt or he had a clear sight of goal."