Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

He's hated wider and more strongly than anyone on the forum for years, but does seem to reserve special hate for Ramirez since day 1. A lot seems to be about him being Uruguayan which I don't get. Unless...do Uruguay have a rugby team?

Nothing specific to being Ururguayan per se.

More to do with his ability to fly a trip of 7000 miles, be fit to play a game with a few day's notice, but need weeks for the return trip and being fit to play again.

If its true he's never managed 3 pro games in a row, he's a f**king malingerer of the highest order.

He never replied to Seville ce47ac81f147cf18c644d6702a60cb9e.jpg

During the summer someone on Sevilleweb called Pulmones el Cangrejo knew all about this. The stuff he knew about what phone calls weren't returned would make your eyes water.

During the summer someone on Sevilleweb called Pulmones el Cangrejo knew all about this. The stuff he knew about what phone calls weren't returned would make your eyes water.

....... go on - make our eyes water!

SFC, yes, but RK, no.

SFC look prepared to give RK his own mind on things based on previous signings. It's all down to RK in my opinion.

I agree. Steven Davis/Gazzaniga are good examples of how he's been given the space to make up his mind

FWIW I wouldn't mind us keeping Djuricic. I think he's looked decent when he's been given the chance, possibly depends on wages. Nothing spectacular but would be a good squad player next season. On the other hand I just don't rate Elia at all. As a wide player he has barely offered a thing.

To be fair to Elia, he supplied three points against the toon. As for Djuricic I've got to agree. Very tidy player, I'd be pleased if we got him on a permanent, been impressed every time I've seen him.

The Gaston thing I just don't understand at all. We weren't the only club after him when he signed, and there was the lawro sneering we all remember, so why have two managers pretty much ignored him? iirc he was a first choice starter for uruguay, surely we must have seen something in him to fork out the fee/wages? (That said, I don't get the Osvaldo signing either.)

iirc he was a first choice starter for uruguay, surely we must have seen something in him to fork out the fee/wages?

Gaston has never been regular first choice for Uruguay. He has 34 caps, but has only started in 11 of them, and only played the full 90' in 2 of those. We saw potential for an exciting AM who showed up well at the Olympics playing for the U23s.

Gaston has never been regular first choice for Uruguay. He has 34 caps, but has only started in 11 of them, and only played the full 90' in 2 of those. We saw potential for an exciting AM who showed up well at the Olympics playing for the U23s.

Yep, who'd of thought back then the better signing for us from the u23 Olympics would be Yoshida not Ramirez.

• 2 weeks later...
Could this be true???? https://www.clubcall.com/southampton/12m-misfit-wanted-by-former-club-1771983.html

If we could get 1/3rd back that would be great, but somehow I suspect not.

If we could get 4m for him with one year left on his contract that would seem like a decent deal and given we have had him for 3 years (including on loan) we could effectively write off 9m, so 4m would even seem like a small profit :-) Still think he is better than Djuricic or Elia and would probably do well for us in Europa, but it seems like those who really count see his future elsewhere.

Hull City would probably have paid us a loan fee to have Ramirez on loan. As would Inter Milan, Juventus and Boca Juniors for Osvaldo. So that is recouping some of the money as well, plus some of their fees from Roma and Bologna would probably have been for appearances/goals etc which neither has a great deal of for us so we wouldn't have paid the full price.

Edited by Matthew Le God

To be fair to Elia, he supplied three points against the toon. As for Djuricic I've got to agree. Very tidy player, I'd be pleased if we got him on a permanent, been impressed every time I've seen him.

The Gaston thing I just don't understand at all. We weren't the only club after him when he signed, and there was the lawro sneering we all remember, so why have two managers pretty much ignored him? iirc he was a first choice starter for Uruguay, surely we must have seen something in him to fork out the fee/wages?

(That said, I don't get the Osvaldo signing either.)

well ...I certainly NOT ITK, but my take on these would be ;

Gaston....probably had a good season the year before and being fairly young-ish, we thought he would fit into with the up-and-coming post-Academy generation . He was surely over-rated (and TBF we don't know for who else had even made a proper bid for him)...plus in one interview he expressed shock at the huge salary we agreed, and it was an offer he simply couldn't refuse. In the end; he showed few flashes of brilliance, rarely got the nod ahead of Lallana, seemed injury-prone and almost never managed a full 90 mins.- whenever he was selected to start. I'd also add that (well-worn phrase - failed to adapt to the rigours of the Premier League) in other words - wasn't tough enough to ride a tackle.

Bottom line; a costly mistake, who should never have been signed, and certainly not at that fee and salary.

Osvaldo: A former Pochettino player whom he adored, but who had an atrocious record of bad behaviour both on-and-off the pitch, which we chose to ignore.

MP must have thought that he could "tame the beast" , but clearly he didn't know him as well as he thought.

IF he was selected via the " Black Box " :blush:....then they ought to junk the whole thing now and buy a new laptop installed with Football Manager 2016. I just think Cortese allowed MP to buy him to keep the Argentinian happy....Admittedly, Osvaldo has some skill(as we saw with his goal at SMS v. Man City), but the rest of the time he was just an catastrophe waiting to happen, and his bout of fisticuffs with Fonte was the last straw.

The financial burden the club has to sustain for these two excessive transfer fees... AND the resulting contracts, and huge salaries ...must be laid clearly on the shoulders of the former Chairman (Cortese)...who seem to be responsible to no-one (except himself) and he must have made some extra friends in Italy by sanctioning these two very ill-judged transfers.

END of.....

Edited by david in sweden

That "football is about moments" quote from Emery at Sevilla should be running on a banner on this site every time someone considers whether we should pick the reserves in the FA Cup or League Cup last 16.

That "football is about moments" quote from Emery at Sevilla should be running on a banner on this site every time someone considers whether we should pick the reserves in the FA Cup or League Cup last 16.

I agree. I do think the actual moment we qualify for the Champions League for the first time will be right up there. And the Europa Cup provides us with chances for moments this coming season as well.

If we could get 4m for him with one year left on his contract that would seem like a decent deal and given we have had him for 3 years (including on loan) we could effectively write off 9m, so 4m would even seem like a small profit :-) Still think he is better than Djuricic or Elia and would probably do well for us in Europa, but it seems like those who really count see his future elsewhere.

"Southampton signed Ramirez from Italian outfit Bologna but he is unlikely to return to the club given they now play their football in Serie B".

I agree with that. Too high a level for Ramirez.

"Southampton signed Ramirez from Italian outfit Bologna but he is unlikely to return to the club given they now play their football in Serie B".

They don't. If you had read the original link you would have noticed it referred to Bologna's return to Serie A, the whole reason for the speculation in the first place.

• 2 months later...
Realise that we've moved on, he's sucking us dry etc. but was wondering if anyone actually knows what is currently up with the lad? Is he injured or training? Are we trying to sell, or do the staff think there's something there?

He has been in several training picture galleries over the last couple of weeks. There is not much wrong with him, but doesn't get selected for the squad. Latest gallery from yesterday:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150828-training-gallery-pre-norwich-city-home-2654431.aspx

He has been in several training picture galleries over the last couple of weeks. There is not much wrong with him, but doesn't get selected for the squad. Latest gallery from yesterday:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150828-training-gallery-pre-norwich-city-home-2654431.aspx

You've gotta assume then that the club will be trying to move him on and no one's biting. Which says everything about how far a record signing who was paraded in front of the whole stadium has fallen.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

He was in the De Vere with his agent (I assume) on Thursday night, well technically early Friday morning - I noticed them post drowning my sorrows, they were sat on a sofa by the lift going through some documents. He looked sad.

On the off chance that he's still here on Wednesday....will we use him?

Knowing our luck we will, he will be bloody amazing for the next 9 months and then bugger off on a free (with Alpine going into meltdown that we didn't sort his contract out). Maybe.

Knowing our luck we will, he will be bloody amazing for the next 9 months and then bugger off on a free (with Alpine going into meltdown that we didn't sort his contract out). Maybe.

The boy's got talent. He just needs time to show us what he is made of. He'll come good in time, just needs a bit more....! ;)

You've gotta assume then that the club will be trying to move him on and no one's biting. Which says everything about how far a record signing who was paraded in front of the whole stadium has fallen.

Sent from my D2403 using Tapatalk

Sadly it happens to some players. We are not the only club to buy a player and for whatever reason it doesn't work out. He clearly can play but it doesn't look like the Premiership suits him. I hope he finds a decent club elsewhere and revitalises his career if he is done here.

Sadly it happens to some players. We are not the only club to buy a player and for whatever reason it doesn't work out. He clearly can play but it doesn't look like the Premiership suits him. I hope he finds a decent club elsewhere and revitalises his career if he is done here.

Are you sure he is done here ? We could play him in the League Cup games and possibly the FA Cup games. If he comes good maybe consider him as an impact game in the EPL games ?

Will be interesting to see how we use him from here on in. He'll clearly be here until January at the very least, can't imagine we'll be paying him to sit about if he's fit.

Agree. I half imagined he'd go off to Italy or Turkey, cut-price. He's so frustrating because he's clearly got talent.